Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nah posted:

“His love for America and its citizens has come through loud and clear”

Literally when

“You weren’t there, it was cool”

/beavis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I’m not directing this at the quoted poster, but I honestly don’t understand why Democrats think that normalizing court packing will result in a different long term beat down than their efforts to normalize simple majority judicial confirmations did? Do people honesty believe the right will never retake the Senate and Executive again, and when they do, they won’t double down, even more brutally, on whatever the left does?

This just feels like burning your hand in the hot stove, so this time you’re going to test it with your face instead.

1. literally no one who's suggesting court packing doesn't also think the GOP will attempt to do the same if/when they gain power again. but it's a risk we absolutely have to take at this point.
2. aside from what everyone else has said, there's a practical aspect to do this: if we don't pack the courts, the current insane rightwing SC will continue to gently caress around with our electoral process to the point that it becomes almost impossible for democrats to ever be elected again. it took us EIGHT GODDAMNED YEARS with the most cartoonishly evil republican president in power for us to win back the house, and even then, many states like Ohio, have basically killed any democrat representation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Why tell the truth when you can just lie?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1321623618346995719?s=20

Kale
May 14, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Donald Trump and the ghouls that follow him are an existential threat to the United States of America in a way that the neocon ghouls are not. I don't like Joe's reaching across the aisle attempts either, but the enemy of my enemy is my friend, for right now.

Edit: The moment Joe is elected, it's clear that the left will have to drag him in our direction. But that's infinitely better than the alternative.

I never thought I'd look at Bush era Neocon type politicans 15 years later and think "Boy do they have their poo poo loving together and are more grounded in reality in comparison to the rest of their party" but The Tea Party and subsequent MAGA movements really are just that more batshit crazy and vindictive than war mongering tax cutting for the 1% Neocons. It's probably the cult of personality subservience to the literal 1 (aka Trump and his whims) rather than the 1% that pits them against Trump in the long run. That and Trump's platform doesn't include any coherent foreign policy in it, particularly regarding the Middle East, where I believe even Neocon's figure the Jerusalem thing along with the abandoning the Kurds thing was a dumb poo poo move.

Neocons are definitely on board with the whole America first thing, I believe their manifesto was called something like Project For A New American Century that espouses a form of looking out for America's interests globally....just not dumbly implemented America First policy that is outright antagonistic towards established allies and cozies up to America's literal ideological enemies.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

nah posted:

“His love for America and its citizens has come through loud and clear”

Literally when

He means white men, OP.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

She wasn't lying! There aren't any tapes of Trump talking about personally sexually assaulting women, only tapes about Trump discussing locker room talk :angel:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Deptfordx posted:

I believe that Nicholson is famously, a colossal rear end in a top hat. Personally if not politically.

Yeah, years ago I had a friend who had a friend who ran in his circles and if she was telling the truth the guy is a loving monster. Like imagine his character from The Shining x10.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

canepazzo posted:

He means white men, OP.

Rich white men

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

kitten emergency posted:

The point of court packing is to make the court less legitimate. The country cannot survive unless the legislature actually functions as a lawmaking body rather than pawning off every politically-difficult task to the courts or the executive.

I do not want to cruise past this very clear and good point. The Court has been illegitimate for a long time and maybe the error in the "crafters" vision of what it would be vs what it is but it needs neutering BIG time, we can't just put our heads in the sand and believe that every decision in the country has to be decided by an intentionally skewed political body with lifetime appointed officials. Add to this the insane legal gymnastics that large portions of the Court subscribe to and there's no way we can have anything remotely close to a progressive society here.

I don't say this lightly because I think there's some SERIOUS issues we have to tackle (M4A, climate change, reparations, etc) but court packing is the single most important things democrats HAVE to do with their 4 years, because nothing else is possible if you have to battle against a 6-3 court for the next 10-15 years.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Rookersh posted:

The problem, as a few people has mentioned is now that the Republicans have this on the national consciousness, they will court pack once they get back control regardless of whether or not Dems do it. McConnell has already started hinting as much.

Eh, I’m not sure I buy the preemptive escalation logic, especially given that the Republicans didn’t drop the bomb when they could have. I still don’t see how this doesn’t end up backfiring, long term.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Eh, I’m not sure I buy the preemptive escalation logic, especially given that the Republicans didn’t drop the bomb when they could have. I still don’t see how this doesn’t end up backfiring, long term.

how would it backfire? they're going to pack the courts to make it majority conservative again? :ohdear:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rookersh posted:

The problem, as a few people has mentioned is now that the Republicans have this on the national consciousness, they will court pack once they get back control regardless of whether or not Dems do it. McConnell has already started hinting as much.

You pass HR1 and HR4 (with a packed court protecting them) and the GOP will never have a trifecta again so this is always a weird avenue to attack the idea.

Not sure what you mean - the GOP has already packed the court there's no point in them adding seats.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Yuzenn posted:

I do not want to cruise past this very clear and good point. The Court has been illegitimate for a long time and maybe the error in the "crafters" vision of what it would be vs what it is but it needs neutering BIG time, we can't just put our heads in the sand and believe that every decision in the country has to be decided by an intentionally skewed political body with lifetime appointed officials. Add to this the insane legal gymnastics that large portions of the Court subscribe to and there's no way we can have anything remotely close to a progressive society here.

I don't say this lightly because I think there's some SERIOUS issues we have to tackle (M4A, climate change, reparations, etc) but court packing is the single most important things democrats HAVE to do with their 4 years, because nothing else is possible if you have to battle against a 6-3 court for the next 10-15 years.

This kind of ignores the progressive force for good the Supreme Court was from pretty much the 50s through well, even recently. In fact, it was those major progressive victories that motivated the Federalist Society and this entire multi-decade effort by conservatives to pack the judiciary with ideologues.

Is it only illegitimate when it makes decisions you don't agree with, or...?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Data Graham posted:

I also love how absurdly detailed their story is. "We had tracking information on exactly where it was up until 3:44 AM! Then we backtracked through every sorting facility, every truck, every plane, interviewed every handler..." Like dude man, there's a point beyond which your making up details no longer serves to make the story sound authentic and only makes the listener realize "Wait am I hearing an entire segment dedicated to explaining how the dog totally ate the homework because he has been known to eat homework and homework is his favorite food and the first such instance occurred in 2014 when..."

The funniest thing to me is they won't name the company aside from "Oh you know the company, it's a big company, you guys!" It's just so made up!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

But the Republicans have already won. They own the court. The Democrats have lost. The only way to change that is to change the rules and pack the courts. If the Dems do add four justices then at the very least we'll get some decent rulings out of it for a couple years. If the Republicans double pack it afterwards, so what? We lost nothing and gained in good rulings in the intervening years.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the grifter org The Lincoln Project. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kale posted:

I never thought I'd look at Bush era Neocon type politicans 15 years later and think "Boy do they have their poo poo loving together and are more grounded in reality in comparison to the rest of their party" but The Tea Party and subsequent MAGA movements really are just that more batshit crazy and vindictive than war mongering tax cutting for the 1% Neocons. It's probably the cult of personality subservience to the literal 1 (aka Trump and his whims) rather than the 1% that pits them against Trump in the long run. That and Trump's platform doesn't include any coherent foreign policy in it, particularly regarding the Middle East, where I believe even Neocon's figure the Jerusalem thing along with the abandoning the Kurds thing was a dumb poo poo move.

Neocons are definitely on board with the whole America first thing, I believe their manifesto was called something like Project For A New American Century that espouses a form of looking out for America's interests globally....just not dumbly implemented America First policy that is outright antagonistic towards established allies and cozies up to America's literal ideological enemies.

That's basically how I feel about the neocons. And I haven't forgotten the incompetency and awfulness of the Bush years. So look, I don't like the Neo-cons. They are scum. But I can work with them in mutual self interest for the next few days.

The MAGA and Tea Party agenda is pretty much entirely and only about owning the libs and as you say, slave mentality to cults of personality. Governing and the consequences of doing it badly is someone else's fault, if not a problem at all. You can't bargain with a madman.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's basically how I feel about the neocons. And I haven't forgotten the incompetency and awfulness of the Bush years. But they're nowhere near as bad as these MAGA chuds. So look, I don't like the Neo-cons. They are scum. But I can work with them in mutual self interest for the next few days.

The MAGA and Tea Party agenda is pretty much entirely and only about owning the libs and as you say, slave mentality to cults of personality. Governing and the consequences of doing it badly is someone else's fault, if not a problem at all. You can't bargain with a madman.

The same rot was present in the neoconservative movement: the gift, incompetence, and denial of reality is just a continuation. Their failures in governance were just overshadowed by their spectacular foreign policy disasters, at least until Katrina and the 2008 Financial Crisis.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I think it's safe to say that the public reaction to the actions taken at Ferguson and Standing Rock demonstrate that state violence against protesters is already very normalized with the American people. The big difference now is that the media isn't helping to sell it. I expect that to change after Biden wins and the narrative can no longer be crafted to make it look like these protests are about Trump and the cops aren't being told from the top down that the press are enemies.

I would be super happy to be wrong about this tho.

nah posted:

You're also not going to accomplish anything meaningful without them. There will be no leftist revolution

This seems really nihilistic. Why do you think it is impossible for meaningful change to be made in this country through the electoral process without appealing to the likes of the Lincoln project and John Kasich? The NYT put out an article (They Did Not Vote in 2016) interviewing non-voters and their concerns seem to be around the fact that they have to work three jobs and they have noticed that this remains true no matter who is in office. According to the article, they also did a study that showed low wages is the primary concern for non-voters (I cannot verify this as their own link to the study goes to an article behind their paywall). Would it not be a better strategy to try and engage them by making their lives better than giving refuge and political voice to the same people who have tried very very hard to ensure that things continue as they are today?

tl;dr

Pablo Nergigante posted:

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the grifter org The Lincoln Project. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grayly Squirrel posted:

This kind of ignores the progressive force for good the Supreme Court was from pretty much the 50s through well, even recently. In fact, it was those major progressive victories that motivated the Federalist Society and this entire multi-decade effort by conservatives to pack the judiciary with ideologues.

Is it only illegitimate when it makes decisions you don't agree with, or...?

The Warren Court is the only time the Court was consistently a force for good and yes of course an institution is illegitimate when it makes bad decisions (especially when those bad decisions are incredibly poorly reasoned). Do people think this is some kind of "gotcha" when someone can identify good from bad?

Roberts (and the other conservatives) gutted the Voting Rights Act without even a constitutional reasoning after Congress overwhelmingly re-upped preclearance. This allowed the southern states to close hundreds of polling locations and steal several elections.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

copy posted:

This seems really nihilistic. Why do you think it is impossible for meaningful change to be made in this country through the electoral process without appealing to the likes of the Lincoln project and John Kasich

'Liberals' will betray the left rather than allow things to change in a way that meaningfully reduces the fortunes of the rich . The pattern here is the same as in the UK.

You know Mitch would have done it if he needed to and could.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 29, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr Interweb posted:

1. literally no one who's suggesting court packing doesn't also think the GOP will attempt to do the same if/when they gain power again. but it's a risk we absolutely have to take at this point.
2. aside from what everyone else has said, there's a practical aspect to do this: if we don't pack the courts, the current insane rightwing SC will continue to gently caress around with our electoral process to the point that it becomes almost impossible for democrats to ever be elected again. it took us EIGHT GODDAMNED YEARS with the most cartoonishly evil republican president in power for us to win back the house, and even then, many states like Ohio, have basically killed any democrat representation.

The courts have already been packed. Thanks to Mitch the courts effectively shrunk during the latter parts of Obama's presidency and then got packed with new people (many of questionable qualifications at best) once Trump was in office.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Yuzenn posted:

This is it, the role of the Supreme Court as a high-falutin neutral arbiter of legislation and a judicial check had already been made redundant when it became a partisan plaything. Packing the court is simply the logical extension of this, transforming it into a vestigial office and a ceremonial rubber-stamp akin to the Queen's Assent in the UK.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

In addition to what others have said, this is factually incorrect. The Republicans artificially reduced the number of SCOTUS justices to keep it at 8 for the last eleven months of Obama's term, which is no less court-packing than adding justices would be. They openly talked about keeping it that way when it looked like Clinton was a lock to win. They did the same thing with the federal judiciary as a whole once they took back the Senate. They have already court-packed, and will 100% absolutely do so again if we ever allow them to.

(edit: on the Lincoln Project thing - the best possible analogy, which I think we've all seen before, is that it was still the right decision to ally with Stalin to fight Hitler, even if Stalin was a monster, everyone knew it, and everyone knew that he'd be the next enemy up. Still the right choice.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 29, 2020

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1321809927942397954

Baron is pretty good with the cyber.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How long until we find out the GOP chairman spent it on fancy hotel rooms and high class prostitutes? I give it 2 months.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

How long until we find out the GOP chairman spent it on fancy hotel rooms and high class prostitutes? I give it 2 months.

2 weeks

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Courting nonvoters while doing things to piss off actual voters is a strategy that doesn’t tend to work out very well. The good thing about this election is there are a lot of people who didn’t vote before who are energized to vote for Biden and the party didn’t have to do anything to push moderates to the right. The focus for the progressive movement should be to keep those new voters blue and bring them further to the left.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

https://twitter.com/HectorofTexas1/status/1321810590118092802

I don't even think that's hacking, that's just being phished :hmbol:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Court packing isn't an end goal folks, its part of a process of basically making the GOP unelectable by simply enforcing voting rights and accessiblity and the like. If you can do it it means you can also do a whole bunch of other poo poo like VRA and DC and the like which would massively increase peoples ability to vote.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Kale posted:

I had a different idea about Bush Jr's administration. At the time what was so upsetting was they REALLY had their poo poo together and were very competent. It was all for bad things, but they were good at it. Even though 9/11 happened on their watch and probably due to their negligence they were able to capitalize on it and get most of the country on their side. I thought Bush's response and speeches were bullshit and downright silly, but they worked on most people.

Imagine Trump on 9/11. Aside from what we know for sure like that he would have bragged about how he now had the tallest building in the city (lie) at Ground Zero and then go on to say "I take no responsibility. Everyone dies. It was only two buildings, and the Pentagon is filled with the deep state trying to ruin me so who cares? Bin Ladin did me a favor if you really think about it! But make sure to vote me for next time because this terror attack just shows you how terrible Al Gore's America would be!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rea posted:

https://twitter.com/HectorofTexas1/status/1321810590118092802

I don't even think that's hacking, that's just being phished :hmbol:

I mean, that's how the DNC hack happened too, phishing is a pretty effective and common tactic to compromise a target.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

Yeah, gonna say 2 months myself. The fact that they claim they were "hacked" with a straight face is laughable as all hell.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Catpetter1981 posted:

The fact that the Lincoln Project neocon ghouls support Biden is an indictment of Biden rather than a commendation of the Lincoln Project.

Guess we better not vote for Biden and instead live in a country that removes the wombs from brown women without asking. Ho hum.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

nah posted:

What da...you actually WANT to see that happen?? You're sick dude

(from an old Oglaf storyline, which is extremely NSFW)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The most frustrating Trump voter line right now is “we need to give him a chance!” like the last 4 years didn’t happen and he didn’t have complete control of Government, and even then just kind of does whatever.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Even if the end result of court packing is simply that the judiciary becomes more representative, that's still a win. Basically any change to the status quo is an improvement both politically and in principle.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

"hackers"

Sure, got it *wink*

e: unless they're paying invoices in bitcoin or some poo poo like that, I don't see how this isn't easily traced, but then also I'd believe any level of incompetence when it comes to Trumpists

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 29, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Mr Interweb posted:

a sudden terrifying realization just occurred to me.

if dems have ANY chance of court packing in the near future, they absolutely HAVE to win the senate this time around. the incumbent party almost always loses seats during the midterms, and i worry that the double whammy of the pandemic continuing into 2022 and another economic crash (just due to timing) will happen by then, and we'll be hosed.

fun fact: the 2022 midterms are the terms up of senators that got in in the 2010 "gently caress the aca" red wave AND re-elected in 2016 alongside trump, so there's 22 republicans to 12 democrats

gray is "being elected in 2020 and only serving 2 years" and dark reds are "pat toomey and richard burr are retiring", so not wildly implausible the dems hold steady or possibly even gain a seat or two