Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Why is the xenophobic paranoid Earth government who knows that the Starfleet ship which is 900 years old and who's crew are clearly lying about who they are they are and how they arrived so willing to give them a pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Everyone loves Saru as he is the only one in the show who talks like a Star Trek character.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Alchenar posted:

Why is the xenophobic paranoid Earth government who knows that the Starfleet ship which is 900 years old and who's crew are clearly lying about who they are they are and how they arrived so willing to give them a pass?

Because Discovery did the future equivalent of beaming down to Jerusalem and hashing out that whole Israel/Palestine thing with ten minutes of dialogue.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

Hair seems to grow very fast in a year in space.

This is the silliest thing to say because they could basically instantly grow a head of hair in every Trek series and also maybe she is wearing a loving weave there are 99999 possible explanations

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Ramadu posted:

Discovery shoulda picked up a dilithium recrystallizer imo

they've still got the one they used to charge the time crystal.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Strong Convections posted:

Even without the reptile transformation, the concept of warp 10 - being everywhere in the universe simultaneously - is a worse idea.

I think if I was doing that episode I would've made the problem something more like: They can go Warp 10 but it's basically impossible to stop in the place where they want to. So they manage to get lost for a while and then BS a solution to get back to Voyager at least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brute Squad posted:

they've still got the one they used to charge the time crystal.

does it work on j/o crystals? Asking for a friend with a time machine

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

HD DAD posted:

Next week’s episode looks really good. I’m phone posting, but judging by the preview clip and the sneak peak released, it seems the A-plot will be Michael and Adira visiting Trill and seeing if they can awaken her memories, and the B-plot appears to be Culber trying to figure out ways to treat the crew’s distress of being stranded. From the preview, this seems to involve a movie night lol.

Hmmmmmmmmmm that actually sounds not bad. I am getting increasingly concerned that this show (which I have not watched a second of season 3 of) may actually become good and I will have to watch it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I like to think that in the Ferengi language, a phrase sounding like "hew mon" is some kind of curse word or pejorative, and it just so happens to be close enough to the English word "human" that some of them delightfully make the substitution.

Hell, it probably means something like "a child who is too worried about morality and not concerned enough about profit."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

piratepilates posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm that actually sounds not bad. I am getting increasingly concerned that this show (which I have not watched a second of season 3 of) may actually become good and I will have to watch it.

It's pretty okay so far, but so was S2 at this point and then Control happened. I'm reserving judgement until it's over.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Bloop posted:

does it work on j/o crystals? Asking for a friend with a time machine

it'll need to be modified. reverse the phases. add a couple gndn conduit attachment points. install some more blinking lights.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

It's pretty okay so far, but so was S2 at this point and then Control happened. I'm reserving judgement until it's over.

I’m hoping not having production drama this time around keeps things on an even keel, but yeah still same lurking worry the season will swan dive out of nowhere.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So uh, can we talk about how Nickelodeon is doing a Star Trek series that is just Space Cases?

They already have an identical property that they could just reboot and decided to slap a Star Trek sticker on it anyway.

My main problem with all of the new Trek, Picard and Discovery is that it's a cool idea for a space show that didn't need to be a Star Trek. There must be a line of screenwriters around the block at Paramount that are just like, "Hey, I wrote this thing but I'm not sure it's good, can I call it Star Trek?"

It's basically just Lord of the Rings: Warhammer 40k and Lord of the Rings: Game of Thrones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ya but it has Janeway

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

feedmyleg posted:

Ya but it has Janeway

Space Cases had George Takei and Mark Hamill.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Matlock posted:

So uh, can we talk about how Nickelodeon is doing a Star Trek series that is just Space Cases?

They already have an identical property that they could just reboot and decided to slap a Star Trek sticker on it anyway.

My main problem with all of the new Trek, Picard and Discovery is that it's a cool idea for a space show that didn't need to be a Star Trek. There must be a line of screenwriters around the block at Paramount that are just like, "Hey, I wrote this thing but I'm not sure it's good, can I call it Star Trek?"

It's basically just Lord of the Rings: Warhammer 40k and Lord of the Rings: Game of Thrones.

We know the name, logo, and a single sentence pitch about Star Trek Prodigy

Lets not get our yamoks in a knot before we have some more information.

Having a Trek aimed at a younger audience seems like an entirely good thing to me, in theory.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Having a Trek aimed at a younger audience seems like an entirely good thing to me, in theory.

In theory, communism works....

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

In theory, communism works....

don't threaten me with a good time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

As it is explicitly a kids' show, my faint glimmer of hope is that it pushes more of a "how do we mature and rise to the occasion like Starfleet people would" angle. Like, "we don't have Starfleet training, so we have to learn and grow (like kids), we can't Action Hero our way out of this" or whatever,

Honestly, while I haven't seen them myself, the positive responses I've seen from newer kids' shows like Steven Universe or She-Ra give me a tiny smidge of optimism. It's a pretty ripe medium for a more hopeful, optimistic and maybe even diplomatic take on Trek than Picard or Disco or Lower Decks.

Still hoping for this tbh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

https://twitter.com/JhonenV/status/1322292369073451008?s=20

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

holy poo poo, that's a name from my distant murky past.

e: the rest of that twitter thread is really stupid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I still think poo poo like this is condescending and lovely.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I dont mind a show deciding to go all Doctor Who as long as they properly commit to it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a noticable and notable feature of the writing.

I suspect it's in the character bible because they had the idea of a human raised by vulcans and what that would be like but they don't really explore it, they just flood the show with largely unearthed pathos

It's not a knock on the actors or even the characters really, the writers just want us to feel stuff by proxy without actually giving us enough character to feel it ourselves

It's poorly implemented and excessive

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I do too.

Yeah, Discovery can get a little melodramatic, but I think one of the things it does right is make its crew seem like actual people. And they’re not enlightened 24th century Starfleet either. As someone pointed out earlier, Disco’s crew was hand-picked by Lorca to basically be a team of misfits. So yeah, they’re flawed people thrown into traumatizing situations, and they act pretty drat accordingly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Kind of want.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I kind of want to go back to him and ask if "and then they scream" was in every script for Invader Zim.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Kind of want.

I kind of want to go back to him and ask if "and then they scream" was in every script for Invader Zim.

I mean his original claim to fame was a comic series in which "and then everyone gets brutally tortured/murdered" was in every story, so the bar is pretty low overall. I liked his stuff but I guess he hasn't really grown up since uhhh 25 years ago?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

The Bloop posted:

I suspect it's in the character bible because they had the idea of a human raised by vulcans and what that would be like but they don't really explore it, they just flood the show with largely unearthed pathos

It's not a knock on the actors or even the characters really, the writers just want us to feel stuff by proxy without actually giving us enough character to feel it ourselves

I'm not a huge fan of Michael's role in the show, but I feel like the overall trajectory of the character so far actually does actually show her moving from a raised-by-Vulcans human to someone getting in touch with their emotions, in a pretty consistent way. Aside from the repetitive melodramatic crying scenes, she has shown emotional growth in more subtle and casual ways.

The Bloop posted:

They've released more info since then, including that Janeway is going to appear in some reoccurring role.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

HD DAD posted:

I do too.

Yeah, Discovery can get a little melodramatic, but I think one of the things it does right is make its crew seem like actual people. And they’re not enlightened 24th century Starfleet either. As someone pointed out earlier, Disco’s crew was hand-picked by Lorca to basically be a team of misfits. So yeah, they’re flawed people thrown into traumatizing situations, and they act pretty drat accordingly.

Where is this misfits thing coming from?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean his original claim to fame was a comic series in which "and then everyone gets brutally tortured/murdered" was in every story, so the bar is pretty low overall. I liked his stuff but I guess he hasn't really grown up since uhhh 25 years ago?
Having watched the Netflix movie he did recently... he hasn't.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ramadu posted:

Where is this misfits thing coming from?

It’s a somewhat charitable reading of everything that happens in season 1, which season 2 openly ran with. We’re shown Lorca picking his crew, sometimes choosing quite odd and seemingly unsuitable people (Stamets is a thoroughly unprofessional civilian researcher, Tilly is Tilly, Michael is a convicted mutineer, Saru is genetically engineered to be the Cowardly Lion, the security chief is a nefarious moron). All of this would be pretty odd if he were looking for the best and brightest; it makes more sense when he’s revealed to be a dimension-hopping fascist psychopath. If you were trying to hide your true horrifying identity from your subordinates, wouldn’t you rather be surrounded by idiots, wimps, and losers than by the competent?

For just season 1 I think this is a somewhat charitable reading, and it is more likely that the crew was full of fuckups because the show itself was hosed up. But then the next season they bring Pike on to captain the USS Charity Case and he all but says, “I get that Lorca was deliberately taking advantage of you guys so I’m not gonna do that.”

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Lorca was definitely building a crew that he could manipulate like Tyler, Burnham, and Landry, or are too cowardly and frightened to disobey him. When fear and intimidation didn't work for Stamets, he tried to appeal to his love of science and discovery. I don't think they're really misfits or that different from starfleet characters in other shows.

The only character who really cries is Michael and she justifiably went through an emotional roller coaster in the two seasons.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Alchenar posted:

They investigated the ship top to bottom and would have quickly learned that if Discovery started anything they could destroy it in 2 seconds flat.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I just realized that this era post-dates the time period where the Federation had TIME SHIPS. You'd think they'd scrape together enough dilithium to maybe stop the death of millions but idk

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I just realized that this era post-dates the time period where the Federation had TIME SHIPS. You'd think they'd scrape together enough dilithium to maybe stop the death of millions but idk

Nah, you see they totally banned time travel and everyone, yes EVERYONE, even those with time crystals or totally bad evil gangs, never used it again.

The Suluban made a mistake in going back in time, should have went forward

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

There's something the sf critic Abigail Nussbaum wrote in her review of the first JJTrek movie back in 2009 that's stuck with me as I've gone through this modern era of Trek. As TNG grew into a mass cultural phenomenon in the 1990s, it came to define how space-based TV sci-fi looked, acted and felt. Whether following in its lead, offering counterarguments, or rejecting basic premises, everything was in a dialogue with TNG on some level. This age of TNG's "hegemony" lasted through the 1990s and a good ways into the 2000s, and you could easily see Ron Moore's BSG reboot is one of the final creations of this era, being Moore's grand critique of the limitations and failings of the TNG model as exemplified in Voyager. Trek came back to film with the JJverse in 2009 and to TV with DSC in 2017, but now it feels like it's just echoing Star Wars or The Expanse or other modern prestige shows (or even Mass Effect) rather than having any identity unique to itself.

Mind you, this problem isn't unique to Trek; it's endemic to the entire drat culture. I find myself thinking a lot about the fifth and final part of Jon Bois and Felix Biederman's Youtube documentary on MMA, Fighting in the Age of Loneliness, and the discussion of how the UFC's quest for the markers of mainstream legitimacy in the 2010s and achieved them "to the detriment of the viewers, the fighters, and ultimately themselves". At the end of the video, Biederman describes how the sport has ceased to be a refuge for weirdos and nonconformists and become monetized and engineered into something as formless and meaningless as the rest of the world around it.

And damned if that isn't how I feel about modern Trek. It's just yet another thing to watch; its historical legacy and "optimism" and liberal humanism and whatever are just features that can be added or removed as needed, but which don't really matter in and of themselves. At this point I honestly wish Trek had died in 2004 and just stayed dead. Being a memory is far better than the formless unlife we have these days.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The time travel stuff can be written around if anyone in the staff cares about that plot point enough. Just say the Burn also affects time travel. You can travel in, but not out. As the Burn approached most people suspected that something would happen soon, but since no one could send information back in time from that point, so the cause and exact time were unknown so there was no way to prevent it.

Or a million other :techno: reasons. I'm choosing to ignore anything that's fantasy science because if you try to point out plot holes from :techno: then all of Star Trek is complete rear end. Time travel in Star Trek is the same as Superman, and that's the silliest time travel there is.

CaptainSkinny fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 31, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The future timeship Starfleet was dumb and I'm completely fine with them handwaving it away so as to not deal with it. That's the kind of thing you make up when you're not expecting to ever actually set a show in that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I think unearned pathos helps wrap up my problems with the show. Like Michael looked lovingly at her console last episode but all I was wondering is how long did she even spend there? Like are there even more like 2-3 scenes of her there or interacting with it at all? The entire show/crew acts like it's season 6 and these people have done a bunch together on screen when they really haven't and it feels weird.