Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

You haven't seen how bad the base storage is managed until you've seen the freighter storage UI, of course i want to manually go from giant box to giant box trying to find the correct one instead of just scrolling through windows. Did the new patch add all this stupid volumetric fog and poo poo? Thank god for terrain following auto pilot because i landed during a storm and pretty much flew into a giant valleys wall because i couldn't see 10m ahead of me.

No thanks, scrolling on a controller is rear end. I like to keep it this way, where I just have to lightly tip left or right to flip through the tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fun bug: I got my ship stuck in a freighter and while it's vibrating and freaking out taking damage that vibration is for some reason being applied to the Move controller pointer in the menu so it's bouncing around too much for me to hit the quit button

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Fun bug: I got my ship stuck in a freighter and while it's vibrating and freaking out taking damage that vibration is for some reason being applied to the Move controller pointer in the menu so it's bouncing around too much for me to hit the quit button

What sometimes saved me (probably only works with derelict freighters though) is frantically starting pulse mode and getting out of dodge. Disclaimer: Trying to wrangle your ship out of the geometry if you haven't fallen too deep in may work better in some instance, e.g. your own freighter.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

haveblue posted:

This has happened to me a lot. Tends to occur when I pulse towards my freighter and don't drop out of it before I reach it. Have had to quit at least a few times when I couldn't unstick myself from the geometry and just kept bouncing around inside the freighter like a pinball.

:wtf:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

This has happened to me a lot. Tends to occur when I pulse towards my freighter and don't drop out of it before I reach it. Have had to quit at least a few times when I couldn't unstick myself from the geometry and just kept bouncing around inside the freighter like a pinball.

:wtf:

Oh man, I've had this exact thing happen multiple times too!

It seems like it happens if you're jumping to somewhere that [i]isn't[/] your freighter, but your freighter is in the path.

Like if it is: you - - - - - - - freighter - - - - - - space station in a line and you're targeting the station (even if by accident since your jump target flops around), you're gonna have a bad time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of "thing in the way of where you want to go" and annoying bugs, I think the thing I would most like for Hello to fix is when my ship absolutely, positively insists on pulsing to some random marker that's kinda sorta near where I want to go. My cursor is clearly over the station you dumb ship, stop re-aiming me towards the abandoned building on the moon behind the planet off to the side.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hooray, the living ship quest is done. It didn't give me the opportunity to save before the actual ship activation since it messaged me the moment I got back in my regular ship after collecting souls. If you get the ship in the system with the portal coordinates, is it always the same ship? (white/orange hammerhead) I don't mind the look of it and I don't think I've seen that specific one before, but if half of everybody in the game has that one in particular I'll probably hunt around for a different one :v:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of "thing in the way of where you want to go" and annoying bugs, I think the thing I would most like for Hello to fix is when my ship absolutely, positively insists on pulsing to some random marker that's kinda sorta near where I want to go. My cursor is clearly over the station you dumb ship, stop re-aiming me towards the abandoned building on the moon behind the planet off to the side.

I hate this so much. There was one time I was doing a multiplayer quest and I couldn't even pulse back to the drat portal (this was back when you needed to portal back to your own galaxy) because it kept targeting bases that other players had left all over the planet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Thundarr posted:

Hooray, the living ship quest is done. It didn't give me the opportunity to save before the actual ship activation since it messaged me the moment I got back in my regular ship after collecting souls. If you get the ship in the system with the portal coordinates, is it always the same ship? (white/orange hammerhead) I don't mind the look of it and I don't think I've seen that specific one before, but if half of everybody in the game has that one in particular I'll probably hunt around for a different one :v:

You could use a save editor to change the look if you have the seed of a version you like.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I sell from freighter inventory all the time, unless you mean the storage boxes. It wouldn't surprise me to hear you need the freighter's matter transmission tech to sell directly from it even if you're on the freighter though.
I just checked again and I definitely couldn't do this. I had 5 iridesite in my freighter's base inventory (not any of the storage tabs) plus the matter transmitter tech and i still couldn't see it in the sell menu on the freighter itself. Moving it to an exosuit tab or my active starship lets me sell it but not the freighter

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zesty posted:

You could use a save editor to change the look if you have the seed of a version you like.

Not on PS4!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Elotana posted:

I just checked again and I definitely couldn't do this. I had 5 iridesite in my freighter's base inventory (not any of the storage tabs) plus the matter transmitter tech and i still couldn't see it in the sell menu on the freighter itself. Moving it to an exosuit tab or my active starship lets me sell it but not the freighter

if you press 'c' to switch inventories you're selling from, does the freighter inventory even show up?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The new visuals look great. I would really like to play this on the new Xbox but man I cannot give up my 300hr PC save. Forget crossplay, give me crosssave.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ephori posted:

The new visuals look great. I would really like to play this on the new Xbox but man I cannot give up my 300hr PC save. Forget crossplay, give me crosssave.

I took the opportunity to bail from PS4 to PC since I don't have any short term plans to pick up a PS5 and the QoL improvements of "autohotkey" and "remove guidance popups" has already more than paid off

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

Thanks for that. Only needed 10 minutes to find a ship I liked versus 5 hours of jumping from planet to planet continually restarting the quest hoping to randomly find one I liked. I tried the grindy method before (with a 2nd void egg) and ended up just giving up and reverting to a manual save before I bought the egg.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Zesty posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, can i change the freighter i have to any freighter i want? Does this work for ships too? Is there any reason why i shouldn't use this? Like will it gently caress with my save or something?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

just backup your save file so you dont break it by accident, but otherwise just cheat, gently caress it

no gods sky, no masters sky

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I mean the only thing i care about is getting a cool looking freighter without having the hassle of looking at every single loving freighter that warps in. It would be nice to get the right exotic and hauler too instead of wasting hours at trade stations looking at every ship that came in. Might as well give myself 20k QS too haha those weekly missions are such a waste of time for 250 QS.

Is there a good guide on how to use it? Like do i need to have a freighter/ship that i want to edit or can i literally just add poo poo?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I started playing via Gamepass earlier this year but am just now really getting into it, and NMS is good, fun, and hella broken, which I generally just how I like games. I've put in an embarrassing amount of time in the past few days and am pretty glad I didn't start until recently.

If anyone can answer: conceptually I'm really interested in grabbing a good hauler and putting together a beefy mining ship, but beyond the possible Anomaly Detector drops I'm not sure if there's anything to actually do it with it in terms of efficiency that isn't better solved by finding a good deep mining spot or whatever. Is there anything I'm overlooking there?

edit: Oh, also, does anyone know of any half-decent methods of actually grabbing frigate upgrade modules that aren't grindy as hell? Because not having upgraded warp capabilities or the item teleport functionality is loving killing me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Piracy for the latter. Freighter cargo pods often have them, and you won't lose any rep unless you shoot the free floating ones. and rep is cheap so shoot those too.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sab Sabbington posted:

I started playing via Gamepass earlier this year but am just now really getting into it, and NMS is good, fun, and hella broken, which I generally just how I like games. I've put in an embarrassing amount of time in the past few days and am pretty glad I didn't start until recently.

If anyone can answer: conceptually I'm really interested in grabbing a good hauler and putting together a beefy mining ship, but beyond the possible Anomaly Detector drops I'm not sure if there's anything to actually do it with it in terms of efficiency that isn't better solved by finding a good deep mining spot or whatever. Is there anything I'm overlooking there?

edit: Oh, also, does anyone know of any half-decent methods of actually grabbing frigate upgrade modules that aren't grindy as hell? Because not having upgraded warp capabilities or the item teleport functionality is loving killing me.

mining is all done either on foot or via construction, ship isn't gonna influence that. ship is really just for getting from A to B, with a light smattering of extremely easy combat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Recipes for things need to come around more often. They should be learnable on the Anomaly. There’s even a spare terminal for them. I want to learn glass, but also not fly around looking for one of the manufacturing facilities.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

The_Doctor posted:

Recipes for things need to come around more often. They should be learnable on the Anomaly. There’s even a spare terminal for them. I want to learn glass, but also not fly around looking for one of the manufacturing facilities.
You are 100% correct but you can make the game show you manufacturing facilities by visiting the cartographer in any space station and buying maps to Secure Facilities with Navigational Data. Using these maps won't always show you a manufacturing facility, but this is the fastest way to find them.

Apologies if you already know all this and were complaining about it specifically. I'm creeping up on hour 400 and still haven't gotten everything from these 'cause, well, I don't want to fly around looking for one of the manufacturing facilities either.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Can confirm that even with maps, it takes a long goddamn time to get all the blueprints from manufacturing facilities. Compounded by the ones that either give you something other than a blueprint, or are bugged and give you nothing even when solved correctly. And by the time you have the full crafting tree, the passive income from the activated indium farm you set up weeks ago probably has you at or near the money cap anyway :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The_Doctor posted:

You can refine glass with a refiner from Silicate Powder, which is the byproduct you get from terrain manipulating normal ground. No blueprint required, but if you need a ton of glass it's a pain to get a lot of Silicate powder.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

One fun way to get a ton of SP without ruining the landscape is to dig down to bedrock then just carve out in all directions at every base or just where ever you want. Frigate modules is seriously just shooting freighters it literally has no down sides or repercussions besides summoning sent fighters which you can farm for frigate mission consumables then you just dock anywhere to lose 5 stars. It's the most laziest, half rear end system i've ever seen and they should honestly just toggle off sentinels because they have no point at all.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Worth noting re: blueprints, like many things in this game the grind is 100% optional depending on if you want to abuse exploits to skip it-- Manufacturing facilities don't "give you a recipe" so much as they "give you 1 currency to learn a recipe" and also, coincidentally, immediately drop you into the skill tree to spend it. It's a difference that's largely academic, but if you enter with 1 or more "Factory Override Units" you can spend more than one when you get to the selection. The "non cheat" way to take advantage of this is that Nexus missions sometimes reward them; the exploit is that you can exit the dialogue without spending one and then just go dupe it and keep doubling them until you have enough to buy every recipe in one sitting.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

AirRaid posted:

You can refine glass with a refiner from Silicate Powder, which is the byproduct you get from terrain manipulating normal ground. No blueprint required, but if you need a ton of glass it's a pain to get a lot of Silicate powder.

It seems way easier to just put a pair of Bio-Domes in a base and fill them with Frostwort and stockpile Frost Crystals easily. Two Bio-Domes give 2496 frost crystals an hour, which is a little over 62 glass an hour. Scale up if desired.

Why work for it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the disadvantages of a frost crystal dome is that 1) you need 5 glass to start with, 2) it's time-gated rather than effort-gated, and finally 3) refining is a hidden system so you have to already know that frost crystals make glass, which requires learning the blueprint, and you need to know that some blueprints can be refined instead, which the game never tells you, whereas silicate powder straight up tells you what its only use is on its tooltip.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The_Doctor posted:

Are you blindly searching or trading navigation thingies for Star Charts?

edit: Who reads threads when there's postin' to do. :justpost:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Arghy posted:

One fun way to get a ton of SP without ruining the landscape is to dig down to bedrock then just carve out in all directions at every base or just where ever you want. Frigate modules is seriously just shooting freighters it literally has no down sides or repercussions besides summoning sent fighters which you can farm for frigate mission consumables then you just dock anywhere to lose 5 stars. It's the most laziest, half rear end system i've ever seen and they should honestly just toggle off sentinels because they have no point at all.

I did some many derelicts yesterday and walked away with 2 modules and have gotten nearly 20 in the past 3 hours without going out of my way for it at all, so while the idiot space robots might hate me now they can get hosed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ghostlight posted:

the disadvantages of a frost crystal dome is that 1) you need 5 glass to start with, 2) it's time-gated rather than effort-gated, and finally 3) refining is a hidden system so you have to already know that frost crystals make glass, which requires learning the blueprint, and you need to know that some blueprints can be refined instead, which the game never tells you, whereas silicate powder straight up tells you what its only use is on its tooltip.

counterpoint: a little bit of glitched placement and one frost crystal dome can give you a full stack of frost crystals, so much like many things in this game a small amount of up front time investment will remove much if not all manual labor requirements later on

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The fact that so many things just become pointless is really irksome, will i continue to get frigate salvage modules after i finish the tech tree? Yes but only to sell for a small amount??

Everything should scale up to something and that's not units because that's a dead end where you have nothing to spend money on anymore. All you'd need is a system to build poo poo from scratch, scan ships and have a chance to learn the different components or scrap them for a guaranteed component learned. Why would you hunt for ships when you can learn all the different components and build your own kitbash from scratch? Scale it up to capital ships and frigates and throw all the dead end poo poo into their construction tying up the loose ends of collectibles. Now it becomes get a class C thing, find different badass looking parts then assemble and upgrade it each time unlocking more cool looking components. Oh look there's a massive time sink that actually rewards you by getting all the cool poo poo you want instead of getting frustrated by the randomness and just cheesing your way to what you want.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

BitBasher posted:

Why work for it?

Because he literally didn't have the blueprint yet. I agree the blueprint is the way to go in almost every sense, but he didn't have it, and wanted glass, so...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

counterpoint: a little bit of glitched placement and one frost crystal dome can give you a full stack of frost crystals, so much like many things in this game a small amount of up front time investment will remove much if not all manual labor requirements later on

I'm not a fan of using glitches, since that makes me at the mercy of the devs. If I use stuff like glitched placement and then, many months later, Hello Games suddenly fixes that bug, I'd be royally hosed.

Better to have a small Dioxite mine, a small Radon mine, and then a refiner to turn 9999 of both into 9999 Frost Crystals. Hell, if you stagger that poo poo with multiple stacks and refiners, you can even refine all those crystals into glass while the next batch of crystals is cooking.

And if you have the blueprint, you can also skip that last step and craft huge stacks of glass all at once, which is even faster!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
how are you "screwed" if they fix it if the result is "you have to build some more domes" or "you have to use refiners"

bugs might always be fixed, things that are working might get broken, play the game as it is and worry about tomorrow tomorrow

(although their track record on resolving the ones that are helpful seems to be pretty low)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Arghy posted:

The fact that so many things just become pointless is really irksome, will i continue to get frigate salvage modules after i finish the tech tree? Yes but only to sell for a small amount??

Everything should scale up to something and that's not units because that's a dead end where you have nothing to spend money on anymore. All you'd need is a system to build poo poo from scratch, scan ships and have a chance to learn the different components or scrap them for a guaranteed component learned. Why would you hunt for ships when you can learn all the different components and build your own kitbash from scratch? Scale it up to capital ships and frigates and throw all the dead end poo poo into their construction tying up the loose ends of collectibles. Now it becomes get a class C thing, find different badass looking parts then assemble and upgrade it each time unlocking more cool looking components. Oh look there's a massive time sink that actually rewards you by getting all the cool poo poo you want instead of getting frustrated by the randomness and just cheesing your way to what you want.

this is, again, the deep irony of NMS, and that i hope but doubt was intentional on the designers' part: all the gameplay loops make themselves obsolete by completing them, so the only thing there is left to do at the end is explore the universe, something you could do just about as effectively with your starting puddlejumper. (or i guess you could build bases but if i'm going to torture myself with architecture it's gonna be in dwarf fortress)

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I'm reaching the point where I'll be able to progress into other Galaxies, is there any particular number you guys'd recommend I head for and proceed to spend some time in? I know the various types all have different attributes based on the wiki, but is it otherwise a kind of feel it out and decide what I like best situation?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

AirRaid posted:

Because he literally didn't have the blueprint yet. I agree the blueprint is the way to go in almost every sense, but he didn't have it, and wanted glass, so...

Whoops! I totally forgot you needed a blueprint for glass that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

Fuckkkk I can’t believe I didn’t know this