Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (April 29, 1933)

Peanuts (October 31, 1973)

The Second Annual Pizza Golem Yockapalooza!

Crankshaft

9 "Julet Esqu and RoboRodent are SOOOO Gonna Hate This" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (June 1, 1937)

Out Our Way (June 20-22, 1935)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I assume this installment of The Timid Soul was published during an election campaign or similar. Caspar is shoving cotton in his ears.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kennel posted:

If I remember correctly, some parts of this Moomin story end up being a bit disappointing, if you expect it to follow the standard 21st century narrative/metaphors (which would have been way too cool for a 50s comic).

I mean, those parts will be starting up tomorrow/next time I post, so if the thread feels like discussing it, that's a good time.
I don't think any discussion around it has popped up the last 2 (or so?) times the story has been posted through the megathread's history, though. Not that I can recall at least.

I assume you're referring to Pimple's friend. Which if you read it as a homosexuality analogue, then it does do rather poorly due to the false pretenses set up, and with the conclusion drawn due to it.
But if you just go with the general theme of the strip itself, then it in it's whole is just 'don't worry about the details, don't get bogged down by your past, and just do what makes you happy.'

The way it's set up makes it feel like the outcome means that he either realizes that he doesn't have to only like cats, and can like dogs as well. (ie, accepting homo/bisexuality.)
Or he can realize that he can like dogs, and was just fantasizing about liking cats.(ie, shunning homo/bisexuality. ) (Again, depending on the reader treating 'likes cats' as a metaphor for LGBTQ.)
How it reads ends up being very much up to how the person reading it handles it. 'only liking cats? how silly' can either be 'non-heteronormativity? how silly' or 'why is he so caught up in only liking specific things?'
But whichever way you want to read that analogy, it gets muddled by the dog presenting as a cat.

Personally I'm not sure if it really works under a LGBTQ lens, and it makes more sense if you just lean on the general themes of the story.
If you're too caught up in what you're supposed to do and like, constrained by others, you can't really be happy. (Which in itself is a more positive read for the whole thing.)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I'd actually pay extra for a microwave without a clock on it because every one I've owned has been wildly inaccurate.

These are called toaster ovens and they're amazing. The food that comes out of them tastes better and they won't cause your house to explode if there's a fire. I have never understood why microwave ovens are the standard when toaster ovens were invented first.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You ever try to reheat coffee or soup in a toaster oven?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

These are called toaster ovens and they're amazing. The food that comes out of them tastes better and they won't cause your house to explode if there's a fire. I have never understood why microwave ovens are the standard when toaster ovens were invented first.

lmao they have almost entirely dissimilar uses

It is pretty common to have both

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This 9CL arc is genuinely making me uncomfortable.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I heard of them when I was a kid, but I never knew what a training bra actually was, and I was completely unconcerned about that for the vast majority of my life, and, to be honest, would have remained so for as long as I can imagine. Why is an old man with a grown daughter writing about training bras for his adult woman character who has two newborn girls?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

You ever try to reheat coffee or soup in a toaster oven?

No because I have a coffee maker and a stove which are also superior to microwaves.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

This man really thinks a training bra is a device that trains your breasts to grow.

In happier news I've really loved this week's modern A&J. The theme is fun and they don't explain the joke at the end of every strip. Holbrook could never.

Funky's ICE deportation arc has disgusted me in ways I cannot yet put into words, but I am toying with the notion of writing to my local paper about dropping the strip.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

Why is an old man with a grown daughter writing about training bras for his adult woman character who has two newborn girls?

Mordock999 has entered the chat

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

God do I love Prince Valiant. I wish I had given it a chance when I was a kid.

Me too. Part of it is probably being printed in a 3 inch by 5 inch tiny corner of the "kids section" though.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

coronatae posted:

This man really thinks a training bra is a device that trains your breasts to grow.

he's for real writing about them like they're loving braces or something corrective and not like a tanktop with a sports bra in it. this dude is like unhinged

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Oh, THAT'S why you think training bras are important! So boys will have a better time looking at your daughters' ten year old tits! Thanks for the info, Brooke, you disgusting old pervert!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Between this and those flashbacks of 6-year old Edda being obsessed with the details of sex, Brooke is way too interested with the sexual development of prepubescent girls.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

EasyEW posted:

Oh yes, fond memories of pre-pubescent boys "loving" my breast buds and not [checks notes] ... snapping the straps of my training bra and yelling about how everyone could see them if my shirt collar slipped a little.

I think I got my notes mixed up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

This is a crime even outside Halloween.

If you ever feel compelled to plant zucchini, the correct number of plants is one. More than that and your neighbors will hate you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

A toaster oven is a poor substitute for a grill (or "broiler" if you're American, I believe).

And everyone should get a convection microwave because they're amazing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/30/00

Stephen Collins is, inevitably, political again.

Brenda Starr 1/16/44

"Warble the combination" is somewhat less catchy than "whistle the patter."

Smokey Stover 8/21/38

Edge of Momentum

*sigh* Look, I understand the need to sometimes play fast and loose with physics to make a cool scene. And there's nothing more tedious than the nitpicker who thinks they're clever by pointing out that Indy should have drowned on the submarine, or that Luke could have spent only a couple of days on Dagobah at most. But, Jam, when you present us with the spectacle of a plane with a dead engine and no pilot attempting to make a kamikaze run from behind on a plane with several perfectly operational engines, it would be nice if you made SOME attempt to justify how it works.

Richard's Poor Almanac is serious for a change.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 31, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bruceski posted:

This is a crime even outside Halloween.

If you ever feel compelled to plant zucchini, the correct number of plants is one. More than that and your neighbors will hate you.

I know we're supposed to interpret this as proof that gardening is bad because Batuik really, really hates gardening for some reason. But I kind of get the impression that if the family had encouraged Crankshaft to grow stuff they could actually use instead of mocking him for gardening at all they wouldn't be in this mess.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Selachian posted:

*sigh* Look, I understand the need to sometimes play fast and loose with physics to make a cool scene. And there's nothing more tedious than the nitpicker who thinks they're clever by pointing out that Indy should have drowned on the submarine, or that Luke could have spent only a couple of days on Dagobah at most. But, Jam, when you present us with the spectacle of a plane with a dead engine and no pilot attempting to make a kamikaze run from behind on a plane with several perfectly operational engines, it would be nice if you made SOME attempt to justify how it works.

Everything else that's happened aside, feels like that is maybe the worst way to depict what he wants to be happening there.

e;
And I'm still laughing at that little missile launcher thing.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 31, 2020

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is gold. :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nemi

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

Pondus

Zelda

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (July 28-August 1, 1997)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (August 28, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (November 14, 1917)

Tee hee strikes again.

Hitz and Mrs. (July 21, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (November 14, 1928)

Dark Laughter (July 31, 1937, click for big)

Bootsie, sump’n tells me that we been tryin’ to milk the wrong kind of cow.

They'll Do It Every Time (April 29, 1941)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (June 19, 1948)

“G’won … Ask him somethin’ … You know what a mess you made of that chicken you stuffed Sunday!”

Dinky Fellas (December 23, 1964)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

The princess in question is Ulrika Eleonora. Karl XII's last surviving sibling and the current regent. The King himself is still staying in the Ottoman Empire who were fighting with Russia.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 31, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"She doesn't use cold cream to get the make-up off her face at night either."

What is being insinuated here?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

As a rough guess from the stars shown in the last panel, I'd put the pole star somewhere around 15 degrees above the horizon, which means that's how many degrees north of the equator they are -- somewhere off the coast of present-day Mauritania. Which means they went a thousand miles or so between those last two panels.

Astronomical/historical side note: this takes place over a thousand years ago, when Polaris was located a few degrees away from the celestial pole (because Earth very slowly wobbles around a bit and points the pole in different directions). This adds some uncertainty to the conclusion of where they are, but considering I'm just eyeballing a hand-drawn sketch, it isn't exactly a precise measure to begin with.

I just think it's neat that ol' Hal put a tiny bit of real astronomy into the strip. :science:

Thanks for this informative post! Looks like they're still a bit north of Mauritania.

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 11, 1942)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

goatface posted:

"She doesn't use cold cream to get the make-up off her face at night either."

What is being insinuated here?

Based on the group of men staring at her, and the comments about her showing off her knees, I think it's "She doesn't go to sleep, and thus doesn't need to take off her makeup, because she's having sex."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Then is the "crossed her legs" line as blunt as I first read it? Seems like strong stuff for the era.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Green Intern posted:

Based on the group of men staring at her, and the comments about her showing off her knees, I think it's "She doesn't go to sleep, and thus doesn't need to take off her makeup, because she's having sex."

I took it as "her makeup will all be rubbed off on those guys by the end of the night."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

goatface posted:

Then is the "crossed her legs" line as blunt as I first read it? Seems like strong stuff for the era.

Not as blunt as the doggerel in the last panel.

Yes, a lady applies cold cream to remove her make-up when she is going to sleep...but not when she is going to bed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 12, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 12, 1999)

Garfield Classic (March 12, 1989)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Those dogs have heard of Prince Val and know what's up.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Mar 21, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 4-5, 1988)

shityoucantdoafter2001.gif

Robbie and Bobby

(Dec 19, 2016)

(Oct 31, 2020)

Support Jason's Patreon here.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want more pumpkin spice. gently caress.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

I'd also like to take a moment to remind everyone that Sam is a doctor who didn't anything pulp-hero-y until this storyline apart from get in a fistfight. Now, he's completely okay with murdering people (unless they're women) and jumping from a burning plane onto another burning plane.