Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah, that game is already lost

We're living in the middle of a pandemic that literally targets geriatric populations...

Look I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to not have turmp picking 3 more justices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

6 spots are filled with shitheads but thats not a reason to double down and have all 9 spots filled with shitheads.

4 more years of trump will make things worse than 4 years of lovely joe biden.

that’s true considering the supreme court alone.

Once again, the senate determines this more than the presidency does

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PokeJoe posted:

what happened the last time a democrat tried to appoint someone to the surpreme court? does anyone remember?

more reason to vote and help the democrats retake the senate when you vote for joe biden.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Once again, the senate determines this more than the presidency does

you still need a non trump in office to make the appointment.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Is there any reason Trump could run again against Biden in 4 years? Are term limits consecutive or cumulative?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

spankmeister posted:

Is there any reason Trump could run again against Biden in 4 years? Are term limits consecutive or cumulative?

he absolutely can run he has not hit any term limits

he’d have to win the primary again though, which should be hard in theory after losing a general election, but the republicans would just run ted cruz and marco rubio against him

we’ll probably see him run in the primaries until he dies

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

spankmeister posted:

assuming they are both still alive, in 4 years biden will be 82 and probably deep enough into dementia that he'll be arguing with plants, and trump will be 78 and either coming off of or on the verge of a heart attack given his obesity

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

cumulative

quote:

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

though technically someone who has been elected twice could run again still. there's nothing there saying they can't be nominated, just that they can't be elected.

Apr 7, 2003

Imagine thinking laws matter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Imagine thinking laws matter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“laws aren’t real” i tell myself as I’m inaugurated for the 17th time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
come hang out with me and talk about chaos and radios and snes games and soldering and fixing your own car and whatever else comes to mind

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1318651871926444033

9pm eastern 6 pacific

and yes its a self tweet gently caress you im not gonna rehost the video just so i DoNt POsT mY oWn TwEeTs

Apr 7, 2003

The Pittsburgh Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:toot:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/11/01/texas-drive-thru-votes-harris-county/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
setting up the greenscreen

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dangit. wish i could tune in. how long are you broadcasting this evening?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Salt Fish posted:

You've maxed out your measurement scale for Biden and Trump. 3.6 roentgen.
i like this as a rhetorical device.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. missed that. nice.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

there's this psychological concept called splitting where a person is incapable of seeing nuance in a person's actions or personality. in the most common form, people are split into Good and Bad, and never the twain shall meet; a Good person is inherently good and nothing they do can be bad, and a Bad person is inherently bad and nothing they do can be good.

when presented with reality -- that everyone does both good and bad things at different times, and that there are degrees of goodness and badness -- the splitter has to come up with hypocritical or illogical justifications to maintain consistency.

1) person did a bad thing once
2) Good people do good things and Bad people do bad things
3a) therefore person must be Bad, and by point 2 nothing they do from now on can be Good; they're pure evil
3b) but i can't believe this person would be Bad, therefore what the person did to me must actually be Good

babies are born with this understanding of the world (at least, once they develop enough to understand good and bad), but grow out of it in early childhood. it appears in adulthood in various mental disorders like borderline personality disorder and some autism spectrum disorders.

anyway, i don't know why i'm posting this in the context of people trying to figure out joe biden, or anything. i do ramble

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

it helps if you understand that canada is not necessarily better than the us in a lot of ways, we're just generally three to five years behind the american zeitgeist. we can and will see a cancon version of trumpism here in the next year or so, the new federal conservative party leader is already starting to make speeches advocating populist protectionism.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

come hang out with me and talk about chaos and radios and snes games and soldering and fixing your own car and whatever else comes to mind

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1318651871926444033

9pm eastern 6 pacific

and yes its a self tweet gently caress you im not gonna rehost the video just so i DoNt POsT mY oWn TwEeTs
so are you posting/tweeting a link in 3 hours or

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nah thats when im logging on

beep i will have archive videos up on twitch and if youtube stops HITTING ME WITH loving COPYRIGHT STRIKES FOR TWO SECONDS OF BACKGROUND MUSIC it'll be there too

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

right, twitch. i remember your channel name. i’ll try to hop in for a bit if i can

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im doin 90-120 mins 3 nights a week this year, you should def come in and say hi but there'll be more :)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

psiox posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

most biden voters (the ones who scream that i simply must vote for joe biden to prevent facism from taking over america) seem to argue that even though joe biden doesn't support any of the policies that would benefit me such as student loan forgiveness nor policies that would ensure the world will remain livable such as the green new deal, it's still better to have him in office than trump. the only rational reason i can think for this is because you believe that electing biden over trump will somehow own the trump supporters, because you hate them.

perhaps you believe that joe biden will be a good president and have good policies; to which i would say, could you please point to any evidence you have for this? he's notably said that my generation needs to stop complaining, told people who believed the woman that accused him of rape that they should vote for someone else, that he'd veto medicare for all, that he'd increase funding for police, that he loves fracking... this is just what i've got off the top of my head, I'm sure I could go find more. but none of those positions sound great to me, in fact, they sound a lot like what donald trump has been doing for the past four years.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also trying to voteshame me isn't going to work because i live in new york state

go howie!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

its this. lmfao if you think cops are going to stop cracking skulls or all the baby jail gates are going to magically open on jan 20 when joe stumbles through the inauguration pledge with Doctor Jill whispering eight times in his ear to cue him

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

setting up the greenscreen

needs an amberscreen tbh

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Joe Biden literally laid the groundwork for our modern prison state, the most rapacious in the world.

yes but this does not change the fact that making joe biden president is still a less bad choice than making donald trump president again.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

needs an amberscreen tbh

from 1991-1994 my only computer was a 640 kb ibm XT with an amber monitor. I am good on amber for the rest of my fuckin life

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Jonny 290 posted:

its this. lmfao if you think cops are going to stop cracking skulls or all the baby jail gates are going to magically open on jan 20 when joe stumbles through the inauguration pledge with Doctor Jill whispering eight times in his ear to cue him

lmao this is the most shortsighted thing

none of this is going to stop unless you hold your nose and vote for the least-bad option, continue to organize, and push for better policies or kill a bunch of zombies in minecraft

abstention is tacit approval of the status quo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it doesn't matter because i already voted for gloria la riva. also only your last option is going to do anything to get us out of this

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

who's abstaining? i'm hootin' and hollerin' for howie. i vote every election.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what good are policies when one chudge can light a hundred thousand votes on fire because they didn't have the royal wax seal on them or whatever

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
no one expects joe biden to make things better instantly, we just want to stop letting donald trump making things worse.

all i’m saying for is we need a ban on donald trump being president of the country until we can figure this whole thing out.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

and if you want to talk about major parties trying to suppress votes, google 'democratic party green party lawsuits', maybe it'll be interesting to you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

no one expects joe biden to make things better instantly, we just want to stop letting donald trump making things worse.

all i’m saying for is we need a ban on donald trump being president of the country until we can figure this whole thing out.

trump's not going a god drat thing. he's literally doing nothing at all. it's mitch and the circuit court judges and the county sheriffs.

regarding, absolutely vote THEM out. but to pretend that leaving all 11 layers of chud governance intact between a citizen and the president, and only changing the latter will do anything at all, i don't know what to tell you about that take.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Jonny 290 posted:

what good are policies when one chudge can light a hundred thousand votes on fire because they didn't have the royal wax seal on them or whatever

not sure if you're talking about what's going on in harris county, tx or the actual act of dropping a match into a voting box but at least the former should be a really good lesson for why electoral politics are important. the judges that decide these things are the prize for winning elections

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kitten emergency posted:

and if you want to talk about major parties trying to suppress votes, google 'democratic party green party lawsuits', maybe it'll be interesting to you

the most cohesive the DNC machine has been in the past four years was when they hosed bernie. they absolutely can get things done when their loser rear end please-donate bullshit isn't front and center. they can and do preserve their own status quo as the very first priority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

not sure if you're talking about what's going on in harris county, tx or the actual act of dropping a match into a voting box but at least the former should be a really good lesson for why electoral politics are important. the judges that decide these things are the prize for winning elections

the republican senate literally stole a scotus appointment from obama and was rewarded with, what, 700+ chudge confirmations that sailed through on voice vote by schumer? but surely all that comity and goodwill and decorum got some covid relief or something, right? oh, the republicans blocked it for insufficiently fellating corporations? hm.