Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Cobalt-60 posted:

Nice aesthetic, interesting concept. Pity I suck at it. 14 times getting my rear end thoroughly stomped by the first boss and I still have no idea how to beat it. Even with looking at tutorials. The minute I get in melee range, i take damage from her insta-charge attack or her aoe, plus the 9000 minions. Is this supposed to be "gently caress you" levels of difficult, or am I missing something about the fundamental game? Plus another 20+ runs of dying to No Healing. Maybe its this stupid WASD bullshit movement, but I can't dodge for poo poo, and figuring out a damage tell when the whole screen is one big pixelfest is just...can't figure it out.

meg generally choreographs her moves quite a bit, i think for any ones that she doesn't have a second long windup for she needs to be facing you. dashing through enemies to get behind them is always a good idea. the aoe in particular i'm pretty sure she has a really obvious tell for, once i figured it out i basically never got hit by it again and now it's basically just muscle memory for me so i can't remember what the tell actually is off the top of my head.

definitely grab up the second dash from the mirror if you haven't, it's not strictly required i guess but it definitely makes not getting hit a lot easier. i recommend trying to play cautiously until you have a good handle on enemy tells and attack patterns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Something really important to remember when you're starting out is that there is no benefit to rushing things, and you can take all the time you want. There are only three exceptions to this:
  • You've turned on the Tight Deadline pact condition (if you don't know what this means, it is not relevant to you and you can disregard it)
  • You're currently doing a Thanatos room (if you don't know what this means you can also disregard it)
  • You're using Hermes' "Lambent Plume" keepsake and trying to get stacks on it
If none of these apply to you, you can go as slow as you want.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Imo the sword is the hardest weapon. I think a lot of the early game difficulty comes from that. If you get hit by stuff a lot try using the bow - you unlock it quickly

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

Here's my tier list:

1. Ares. Blah blah blah murder. Someone should hook him up with Tisiphone.

This is so mean. Tisiphone is just a work-focused woman who has a little trouble connecting with folks, while Ares is a weird creep. Murder Fury could do way better.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Imo the sword is the hardest weapon. I think a lot of the early game difficulty comes from that. If you get hit by stuff a lot try using the bow - you unlock it quickly

While this is true to some extent, I also think the sword is a good starting weapon because it forces you to actually pay attention to enemy attack animations, vs. something like the Bow or Rail which let you kinda just ignore that and dash all over the place blasting away.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm never turning off God Mode.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cobalt-60 posted:

Nice aesthetic, interesting concept. Pity I suck at it. 14 times getting my rear end thoroughly stomped by the first boss and I still have no idea how to beat it. Even with looking at tutorials. The minute I get in melee range, i take damage from her insta-charge attack or her aoe, plus the 9000 minions. Is this supposed to be "gently caress you" levels of difficult, or am I missing something about the fundamental game? Plus another 20+ runs of dying to No Healing. Maybe its this stupid WASD bullshit movement, but I can't dodge for poo poo, and figuring out a damage tell when the whole screen is one big pixelfest is just...can't figure it out.

Generally you want to attack Meg after she attacks. Her moves are well-telegraphed if you watch her model. Keep your distance and watch her moves and then dash in to score some hits just after her attack ends. Kill the adds quickly as they spawn. Her confetti puke ranged attacks can be hard to read but if you keep your distance it should be simple to find a safe path OR use whatever deflection boon you have and send them back at her for massive damage.

And I say this as someone who played all of Sekiro on keyboard and mouse - consider getting a controller for this game.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Same

Also, sword is the only weapon I've never escaped with. Just unlocked aspect of Arthur, so I guess I'll start trying with that.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Just wanna give a little shout out to my new favorite brogun, the ASPECT of LUCIFER.

Man this thing is super fun. Demeter boon on the special means you can lay a field of freezing mines. Zeus boon on special means you lay a minefield and every 1/2 second anyone near the mines gets struck by lightning. Then someone steps on one of the mines and they set each other off and the whole room blows up and the reward appears.

I've done 3 clears (8-9-10 heat) with it now using attack maybe 15% of the time and just dodging, casting, and laying down mines. Jumping dudes in Asphodel are about the only thing that challenges the minelayer.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
My latest challenge I've been attempting is a fresh file win
I've gotten to Lernie after a few attempts, but man, having to use the sword with no mirror and no free boon at the beginning is really rough

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

JonathonSpectre posted:

Just wanna give a little shout out to my new favorite brogun, the ASPECT of LUCIFER.

Man this thing is super fun. Demeter boon on the special means you can lay a field of freezing mines. Zeus boon on special means you lay a minefield and every 1/2 second anyone near the mines gets struck by lightning. Then someone steps on one of the mines and they set each other off and the whole room blows up and the reward appears.

I've done 3 clears (8-9-10 heat) with it now using attack maybe 15% of the time and just dodging, casting, and laying down mines. Jumping dudes in Asphodel are about the only thing that challenges the minelayer.

Ares cast is really fun with Lucifer rail because you can use it to reliably set off the the Hellfire balls from range. The Hunting Blades boon is really nice for this on bosses since it makes the rift track enemies and they stick around for a good bit. You can Hellfire ball> cast > Hellfire ball and the second ball will usually land right in the rift and detonate alongside the first.

The triple blast hammer makes this even better, obviously.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I started a hell mode file and it's fun to be dying a lot again. It might just be lack of mirror upgrades but I feel like it's easier to take huge burst damage from personal liability if you aren't very careful

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The laser crystal cast is nuts against bosses. Just beat hades for the first time by just plopping them down and dashing around and letting them do 90% of the work. It helps I got lucky and they were stacking tons of chill and I had 5 casts of them.

Did someone say there was a boon which makes them target enemies? Because that would be stupidly good

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I really wish you could turn on the hell mode stuff after you've done a regular file for long enough. Part of me wants to do hell mode because I'm comfortable enough with the game now, but man, I'm still unlocking stuff like 60-70 runs and 44 clears.

Getting slightly annoyed at the lack of progress on the epilogue and Achilles quest. Getting to the point where some folks have no dialogue but still have a decent handful of people who are at max nectar but still locked.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Party Boat posted:

I literally just had an absolutely disgusting run with Chiron. Doom on attack, deflect on special (although deflect wasn't really relevant, it was the damage boost that made it), hammers were for extra special shots and extra damage for multiple special shots. Everything melted. I ran into the tiny rodent in Styx and it died in under five seconds. Dad didn't get to summon any pots or fire any lasers. In fairness I think I lucked into a seriously broken build but Chiron is definitely my favourite bow aspect.

Tiny Rodent is the bane of my existence. I only survive that little bastard about 15% of the time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dragongem posted:

I really wish you could turn on the hell mode stuff after you've done a regular file for long enough. Part of me wants to do hell mode because I'm comfortable enough with the game now, but man, I'm still unlocking stuff like 60-70 runs and 44 clears.

Getting slightly annoyed at the lack of progress on the epilogue and Achilles quest. Getting to the point where some folks have no dialogue but still have a decent handful of people who are at max nectar but still locked.

Hell mode is just 4 regular Pacts of Punishment (Hard Labor, Lasting Consequences, Jury Summons, Calisthenics Program, 1 rank each) that you can turn on plus turning off the 1 second immunity bubble you get if you take a huge hit.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

hemale in pain posted:

The laser crystal cast is nuts against bosses. Just beat hades for the first time by just plopping them down and dashing around and letting them do 90% of the work. It helps I got lucky and they were stacking tons of chill and I had 5 casts of them.

Did someone say there was a boon which makes them target enemies? Because that would be stupidly good

Artemis+Demeter duo boon makes then stupid good at tracking and I think gives a damage boost.

I just had a run with these and the Aphrodite+Demeter duo boon and it plays a bit differently. Not sure I liked it but that isn't to say it didn't do the job.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hell mode is just 4 regular Pacts of Punishment (Hard Labor, Lasting Consequences, Jury Summons, Calisthenics Program, 1 rank each) that you can turn on plus turning off the 1 second immunity bubble you get if you take a huge hit.

I think you also can't lower your heat, you have to escalate when you kill dad. But I'm not sure cause I haven't killed dad yet!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Yup. If the damage resistance gets too much, well, there’s always hard labour!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm posting here to complain that I can't seem to get Dionysus' legendary as that's the last one I need for the prophecy.

Hopefully complaining about it helps!

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I saw the credits screen last night :toot:

I never want to stop playing -- I haven't even unlocked any of the hidden weapon aspects or done anything higher than heat 3 yet.

Getting the Dionysus/Poseidon duo power that ensures every boon you see starts at Epic rarity was really cool; it's great to get some random OP build that just propels you through the rest of the run.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Was going to pick this up on Steam but the store is broken right now and I see that I can get the same sale price on Switch, so I may do that instead. How's the Switch version? Any framerate issues or need for mods? I would be playing mostly docked with a pro controller but I do use handheld from time to time.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Gadzuko posted:

Was going to pick this up on Steam but the store is broken right now and I see that I can get the same sale price on Switch, so I may do that instead. How's the Switch version? Any framerate issues or need for mods? I would be playing mostly docked with a pro controller but I do use handheld from time to time.

Extraordinarily good and it controls brilliantly with the Pro controller.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Athaboros posted:

I saw the credits screen last night :toot:

I never want to stop playing -- I haven't even unlocked any of the hidden weapon aspects or done anything higher than heat 3 yet.

Getting the Dionysus/Poseidon duo power that ensures every boon you see starts at Epic rarity was really cool; it's great to get some random OP build that just propels you through the rest of the run.

I like that boon because it seems mediocre at first glance but in practice it makes you a god of death the dead it makes you really strong

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I like that boon because it seems mediocre at first glance but in practice it makes you a god of death the dead it makes you really strong

The first time I got that boon was in Tartarus.

Dad didn't know what hit him

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

It's really good on the switch. It runs really well but will very occasionally stutter but it's never effected the gameplay for me.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm a pretty big sword fan, because you're not really locked into 1 build plan at the start for the default aspect, all the aspects are strong, and the hammer upgrades are really good.

Early game difficulty comes a lot from lack of mirror upgrades and somewhat from not being able to spend titan's blood. Having only 1-2 lives with 50 hp is a pretty significant difference in base survivability compared to 3 lives and 100 hp. You can get the second dash pretty early, but until then having only 1 really hurts unless you've got really good timing. Your boons tend to be lower rarity which is a pretty big lowering of power, and you lack contractor upgrades that make every room be beneficial to your current run.

Once you've got weapon aspects unlocked you should have gotten probably the biggest chunks of meta power gain, and from there its just small but steady increases that combined with game knowledge increase your win rate.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ninjewtsu posted:

the aoe in particular i'm pretty sure she has a really obvious tell for, once i figured it out i basically never got hit by it again and now it's basically just muscle memory for me so i can't remember what the tell actually is off the top of my head.

she flies up in the air and hovers for a second

the other one to look out for is her charge where the tell is her bending over

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Stacking the +dodge and move speed keepsake with the fists when you put some ranks into aspect of zag is hilarious. I also picked up hermes +bonus damage if you have +move speed and by the end I think I had close to a 40% dodge, shooting lightning everywhere with my attack, and was just clowning on hades like "you can't touch me, you can't touch me." Finished the run in 21 minutes I think at heat rank 2. I'm still pretty new at the game but drat that felt good. 2/3 clears with the fists and I think I found my favorite weapon, although the machine gun is pretty fun too. I just can't get the hang of the sword though. Stacked a good combo of boons on it and was still getting clowned before even reaching the hydra.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

Stacking the +dodge and move speed keepsake with the fists when you put some ranks into aspect of zag is hilarious. I also picked up hermes +bonus damage if you have +move speed and by the end I think I had close to a 40% dodge, shooting lightning everywhere with my attack, and was just clowning on hades like "you can't touch me, you can't touch me." Finished the run in 21 minutes I think at heat rank 2. I'm still pretty new at the game but drat that felt good. 2/3 clears with the fists and I think I found my favorite weapon, although the machine gun is pretty fun too. I just can't get the hang of the sword though. Stacked a good combo of boons on it and was still getting clowned before even reaching the hydra.

Yup, this is probably one of the three strongest builds in the game. The others are Chiron bow aspect at max level or close to it (and/or with the '+4 arrows per special' hammer), and the Eris rail aspect. I'm close to 100% win rate with all of these builds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I did a Chiron last night with Epic Artemis special + bonus crit damage, the hammer that adds +4 arrows to the special volley, AND the hammer that adds extra damage for each time your special hits an enemy in rapid succession.

Hades didn't even have time to get any of his moves off, two volleys sent him to his next shield breakpoint. First ever clear where Hades didn't manage to even do a single point of damage to me. That bow is insane when you get the right boons/hammers.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

When you hit styx and there's an option to trade out one hammer for two random ones, I assume that the two hammer limit doesn't apply anymore?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Parallelwoody posted:

When you hit styx and there's an option to trade out one hammer for two random ones, I assume that the two hammer limit doesn't apply anymore?

Correct.

I'll say that I have a 75% success rate with the anvil. That is to say, most times I take the anvil are when I have a bad and lovely hammer that I don't want, and I'd say more often than not the anvil gets rid of the bad and lovely hammer and gives me a different one that is better.

I also take the anvil when I'm steamrolling so hard that not even a bad hammer will gently caress up my build. It's usually a lot of fun in those cases too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I have a 0% success rate with the anvil. Every time it takes my good hammer and gives me two more bad ones.

I wouldn't take it unless I had two bad hammers, which I don't think has ever happened.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Parallelwoody posted:

minya posted:

Yup, this is probably one of the three strongest builds in the game. The others are Chiron bow aspect at max level or close to it (and/or with the '+4 arrows per special' hammer), and the Eris rail aspect. I'm close to 100% win rate with all of these builds.

I don't know if I'd say its one of the strongest, but its incredibly forgiving of mistakes and has really high effective hp. This makes is good for getting through, which is why I recommend it for new players (also really cheap to invest in it). Chrion bow is similar in that its big strength is reducing risk/difficulty.

Eris rail is just broken good, I'm rather surprised it made it to 1.0 in the same state.

Sindai posted:

I have a 0% success rate with the anvil. Every time it takes my good hammer and gives me two more bad ones.

I wouldn't take it unless I had two bad hammers, which I don't think has ever happened.

I don't really bother with the anvil usually, unless I've got 2 hammers that don't really contribute to my boons. If you're doing a cast build you probably don't care about the hammer, and otherwise you've usually structured your build around what you've gotten rather than trying to gamble on the anvil coming up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have never had the anvil not completely gently caress my build over. That thing is cursed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Control Volume posted:

Why does it seem mediocre? Seems pretty OP, of you ask me.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Waltzing Along posted:

Why does it seem mediocre? Seems pretty OP, of you ask me.

It can be a timing dependent thing. Amazing if you get it in Asphodel but underwhelming in when you only have Charon's final shop left before heading to Hades.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Sindai posted:

I could see it being useful if you're doing super high heat runs and you're forced to pick a boon that is super awkward or useless due to the lower boon selection heat, but that's super rare in normal play.

Also, curious what people prioritize on Hermes. I re-roll for side hustle because I love money, but if I can't get that I will take extra dashes or faster animations if it fits my weapon/build.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 2, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dragongem posted:

Also, curious what people prioritize on Hermes. I re-roll for side hustle because I love money, but if I can't get that I will take extra dashes or faster animations if it fits my weapon/build.

Depends on what build I'm going for, but for the most part extra dashes are always useful, move speed is always useful. Dodge chance is phenomenal on zag gauntlets. Auto Reload is really good for cast builds. Side hustle is good if you're building for the money = damage sword hammer. Faster attack is invaluable on some weapons like spear.

Honestly Hermes is just kinda good all around, he along with Zeus are really the only Olympians where I'm never annoyed when I see them pop up because they complement almost any build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Dragongem posted:

Side hustle but also movement speed since that unlocks his "bonus attack power based on movement speed" which has saved a few runs by doubling my attack power.