Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Sectopod posted:

Both. I bought it a month ago, but hoped the Halloween update might fix it somehow, but it's still the same.
Also, uninstalling "Cold Waters" doesn't help.

Does Dusk create a log file somewhere that might tell what it's struggling with?

This is a stretch, but do you have any form of Citrix installed? About a year ago I had a similar issue and after looking around online learned that there was (somehow) a known issue between Dusk and Citrix Workspace, seemingly even if CW didn't have a process running. Not even sure how it was possible and it's possible it got fixed, but all I had to do was uninstall Citrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

ETPC posted:

in the good timeline, we're all complaining about the 2nd duke nukem reboot where they recast jon st. john with john cena because of the netflix series coming out

Is this actually still happening? I just googled and this was the first result
Vin Diesel Reportedly Also Eyed For Duke Nukem Movie
Kind of a useless article that doesn't say anything definitive, but I think a Duke movie is the best chance we have at getting another game

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

dracula vladdy AF posted:

This is a stretch, but do you have any form of Citrix installed? About a year ago I had a similar issue and after looking around online learned that there was (somehow) a known issue between Dusk and Citrix Workspace, seemingly even if CW didn't have a process running. Not even sure how it was possible and it's possible it got fixed, but all I had to do was uninstall Citrix.

Nope, no Citrix installed. I found the related threads on the steam forums.
My issue looks mostly like the one reported here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/519860/discussions/1/1646544244468737055/
Even down to the fact that adding the option "-LogFile output_log.txt" does not generate a log file.
What I find most confusing is the fact that the first time I launched it everything worked fine, so I suspected some settings/configs with Unity got mixed up.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

HolyKrap posted:

Is this actually still happening? I just googled and this was the first result
Vin Diesel Reportedly Also Eyed For Duke Nukem Movie
Kind of a useless article that doesn't say anything definitive, but I think a Duke movie is the best chance we have at getting another game

If it's Vin Diesel, I hope they give him absolutely hideous blonde CGI hair.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Checked it and looks extremely good. I really like the aesthetic of this TC.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/mastersofdoomgn/status/1316358205203775488?s=21

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Carpator Diei posted:

If it's Vin Diesel, I hope they give him absolutely hideous blonde CGI hair.

It's gotta be a hairpiece but an intentionally plasticy/blocky looking like the Dog Boy segments from Liquid Televion and he his voice has to be overdubbed by Jon St. John.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A Duke movie would be glorious. At least, it existing would be a nice tidbit. If it's better than the live action Tekken movie or something, that'll do. If it's a sublime masterwork like Double Dragon, now we're talking.

On the best Build engine game being Blood's Death Wish, I personally pick Duke 3D. But I also usually find it tough to compare sprawling detailed user maps to the classic games. I think there's an elegance in simplicity, there's a magic in 90s level design to me. Still cool stuff either way.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Duke is best too. I like it’s vibe most and think it’s has the best level design of the big Build games.

I played some Shadow Warrior today and I find that game even tougher than Blood. Just constantly getting my rear end kicked.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The major thing that I would give Duke over Blood is that Duke's enemy roster is way better than Blood's. Outside of the cultists the enemies in Blood are kinda a chore.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Does blood guy even shoot a cop?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Does blood guy even shoot a cop?

The cultists are the law enforcement for that realm, so he shoots lots of cops and is himself one too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What annoys me from Blood combat is that some enemies seems to have weird resistances/immunities to some weapons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like that Blood's enemies have their own weaknesses that encourages switching up the huge arsenal, but yeah cultists are used too much as the game's workhorse. Zombies and fat zombies are fine, I like the grim reaper guys as an enemy you can easily avoid by itself but will gently caress you up if you get hit, but give me exploding drones over gargoyles any day of the week and the only thing more annoying than Duke's mini-boss enemy is the loving gargoyle mini-boss enemy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're looking for a distraction from today (and honestly, you should be) Jimmy's Faithless Trilogy is out in Beta, bringing with it three new Heretic episodes/hubs for a total of 28 new maps, replete with new monsters and weapons.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Kins posted:

If you're looking for a distraction from today (and honestly, you should be) Jimmy's Faithless Trilogy is out in Beta, bringing with it three new Heretic episodes/hubs for a total of 28 new maps, replete with new monsters and weapons.

I have actually really been looking forward to this. I saw Bridgeburner was streaming some play testing of it and it looked great. If anyone cares Jimmy was on the stream and said that the Wayfarer Tomb mod should work okay although there might be weirdness since he has also adjusted some enemy/weapon values.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sorry don't know how to quote that without making it huge

Like that's beautiful, objectively so, but... isn't it kinda wasted on Doom? Dealing with imps and cacos in such a room is such wasted potential.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Serephina posted:

Sorry don't know how to quote that without making it huge

Like that's beautiful, objectively so, but... isn't it kinda wasted on Doom? Dealing with imps and cacos in such a room is such wasted potential.

Well its a full total conversion so they're planning on a completely new roster of enemies.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I love all my Build Engine children. Duke has the best level design, Blood has the best all around game feel and Shadow Warrior has *looks at smudged writing on hand* nice voxels?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I love all my Build Engine children. Duke has the best level design, Blood has the best all around game feel and Shadow Warrior has *looks at smudged writing on hand* nice voxels?

You forgot redneck rampage :)

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Extreme Paintbrawl :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

…and nukes. Don't forget the nukes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the best build game is dusk

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narcissus1916 posted:

You forgot redneck rampage :)

Ah yes, my step child, Redrum Ramparts. How could I forget?

Wild T posted:

Extreme Paintbrawl :colbert:

You know I never played this one. I'm sure I'm missing out on something special.

Tippis posted:

…and nukes. Don't forget the nukes.

Ok yeah the nukes are cool. Duke should have had nukes. In fact, it makes MORE sense for Duke to have nukes. :psyduck:

I guess I should mention Ion Fury but I might fall asleep mid sentence if I doooozzzZZzzzZZzzzZzzz......

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

the best build game is dusk

I know that is not a serious post but Dusk has something in common with Build engine game, it's held together with chewed gum. Last speedrun made it fairly obvious (and hilarious too!).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
If nukes make a game build then I submit MDK

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guillermus posted:

I know that is not a serious post but Dusk has something in common with Build engine game, it's held together with chewed gum. Last speedrun made it fairly obvious (and hilarious too!).

The crossbow shenanigans throughout the run rule.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

MDK is so good and I want a remake.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A remaster of MDK is a thing I'd play day 1. Hell, I'd play the remasters of MDK, Messiah and Sacrifice (this one is drat good even today).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dusk being janky as hell in some respects makes it feel more authentic, like something from 20+ years ago. it's part of why it's good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dusk somehow managed to fall into the sweet spot where it’s janky enough that you can break the game to smithereens if you try, but if you don’t push anything you’re probably not going to run into any serious bugs in a standard playthrough. Quite an achievement.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

also all of the FEAR trilogy.

or does it have to be the player using the nukes? Because then the entire Civilization series is Build.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'd say at least some first-person shooting is required.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'd say at least some first-person shooting is required.

Okay so Starcraft is Build then.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Command & Conquer is Build.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto, all Build.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I feel like Blood has the most interesting arsenal too. Duke sticks pretty closely to the Doom formula, with a couple of extra gimmick guns thrown in. Blood you can kind of draw parallels but I think it's telling that one of your main weapons is the dynamite rather than something that just shoots in a straight line. Blood's weapons all have weird interesting properties to them, the only really "straightforward" weapon is the tommy gun.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like Blood has the most interesting arsenal too. Duke sticks pretty closely to the Doom formula, with a couple of extra gimmick guns thrown in. Blood you can kind of draw parallels but I think it's telling that one of your main weapons is the dynamite rather than something that just shoots in a straight line. Blood's weapons all have weird interesting properties to them, the only really "straightforward" weapon is the tommy gun.

Agreed, the emphasis on fire and explosions is very nice. Tbh I could do without the proximity and remote dynamite though. I don't really use them much differently from normal dynamite and they clog up the weapon selection

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is TNT really the workhorse of the game? I’m having a hard time telling what weapons I should really be using as fodder, and going through my first playthrough has me really paranoid after the first level, given the low ammo. Im also sensing TNT is the go to, as I can’t not get popped going around corners, and even on the second lowest difficulty I find I can easily lose 25-35 health before seeing where the damage is coming from.

Cool game so far. Hate that carnival level though, reminds me of that empty Disneyland-esk level form Duke, which gave me the creeps as a kid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

al-azad posted:

Command & Conquer is Build.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto, all Build.

*points at seagull* Build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blood's first episode is straight survival horror with how hard and tight ammo is but after that you get more napalm ammo than flare gun and TNT is your workhorse with the shotgun/tommy cleaning up stragglers. Generally speaking:

Pitchfork = Solo zombies. Get a 2-for-1 by hitting them with a flare first then stabbing until they burn.
Flare = Sniping cultists (one-hit kill, just get out of line of sight), solo zombies with pitchfork technique, alt-fire for cultist groups
Shotgun = General all-rounder, alt-fire on phantasms, kind of ineffecient on killing zombies
Tommy gun = Rats/spiders, better against cultists than shotgun, alt-fire on a group of cultists to stun-lock them and interrupt their fire
TNT = zombies/butchers and bunched up cultists where line of sight will instantly murder you. Very helpful for clearing out cultists below a ledge which is like the deadliest place for cultists to be.
Aerosol = gargoyles, bunched zombies, alt-fire is great against bunched up butchers because they're large slow targets and usually take at least 2 TNT to kill
Napalm = fucks up everything except hell hounds, one-shots gargoyles but it's risky because gargoyles generally rush you and you'll take splash damage, alt-fire is like TNT on crack
Tesla gun = hell hounds
Voodoo = If you're playing on hard or set the enemies to maximum just save this for Cheog because gently caress that guy for real