Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just received an email from a car dealership who must have put in the wrong email address for a customer (this email is just my name and initial and I get stray emails occasionally).

He is buying a brand new Chevrolet Impala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think you can buy a restored 60s impala for that. The gas mileage would suck and you might repair it a little more often, but the repairs would be cheaper and you'd be riding in style. The impala is one of the most egregious examples of the reimagined design looking like complete and utter poo poo next to the original/ older design.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Mad Wack posted:

he is probably distorting his write-up to get the answer he wants, his savings and credit score both make me think that he just hit this income for a month or three and it's going to evaporate just as quickly, i've seen this people with people who have a really good month running a drop-shipping biz or a blog that gets popular for 15 mins

i mean whatever follow your bliss but that 992/mnth is gonna really hurt if that isn't stable income from his self-employment lol

Agreed. Took me a re-read to catch the "self-employed" part, so yeah, dude's income is going to plummet any day now.

In a month or two he'll be posting about how he should sell his Prius because he's falling behind on CC payments but he can't sell the Acura because it's new and reliable because it's not old or some nonsense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

therobit posted:

I think you can buy a restored 60s impala for that. The gas mileage would suck and you might repair it a little more often, but the repairs would be cheaper and you'd be riding in style. The impala is one of the most egregious examples of the reimagined design looking like complete and utter poo poo next to the original/ older design.

the curent impala is a very nice and comfortable highway cruiser but lol at paying $50 grand for one when you can get one off of Hertz for like, $15 grand

edit: can you think of what kind of just dull and insipid person has a 2021 Acura TLX as their dream car? good lord

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: can you think of what kind of just dull and insipid person has a 2021 Acura TLX as their dream car? good lord

Sometimes, when he goes to Subway, he splurges and gets cheese on his six inch turkey on white.

American cheese, of course.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the curent impala is a very nice and comfortable highway cruiser but lol at paying $50 grand for one when you can get one off of Hertz for like, $15 grand

Not as sad as my neighbor, whose dream car is a Mercury Mountaineer :barf:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Not as sad as my neighbor, whose dream car is a Mercury Mountaineer :barf:

this is so strange that i kind of respect it. did he go to WVU or something

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is so strange that i kind of respect it. did he go to WVU or something

Nope!

Gambling with money you can't afford to lose is bad with money
https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1324769170479894528

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Having an average car as your dream car sets realistic expectations and is GWM tho?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Having an average car as your dream car sets realistic expectations and is GWM tho?

Paying a 900/mo lease for a $40k car is insanely bad with money though

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

StormDrain posted:

The entire thing surrounding "dream cars" is such stupid bullshit.

Don't get me wrong. If someone genuinely loves a particular model or year for whatever reason, let your freak flag fly. You're in love with the awful late 80s ford mustangs because your dad owned one and you've got great memories of driving around in it with him? Cool, call that POS your dream car, and have fun wrenching on it. If some AI poster wants to talk about a "dream car" based on hobbiest poo poo and it's something that's genuinely going to bring a lot of joy into their life I'm not going to poo poo on them.

But loving 99% of the time when you hear someone talk about having a dream car it's not something that they have actually deeply considered or have a strong emotional attachment to. Usually they've just fallen hard for some marketing and it's an aspirational thing where they want to be the sort of person who they imagine owns that car. I mean, poo poo, I'm pretty sure the entire concept of a "dream car" is just some auto industry marketing that became a cultural meme, like a detroit version of what debeers pulled with diamonds.

You can usually zero in on this by asking someone why it's their dream car. A lot (I would hazard most) of the time you won't get an answer much better than marketing hype or just thinking its good looking.

fake edit: I roll my eyes the hardest whenever someone describes a recent model year as their dream car.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

Truth. Also having a dream car is sad and bad because cars are awful

It's like having a dream.... pesticide

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"if its advertised it shouldnt be your dream car"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"if its advertised it shouldnt be your dream car"

Eugh that explains why so many people have Teslas as their dream car

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Eugh that explains why so many people have Teslas as their dream car

Nah, that's just the same aspirational status symbol stuff.

Again, ask someone why that is their dream car. I'm sure there's people out there who will go all car nerd on whatever and sure, ok, guess that is really the car you've been waiting for all these years. But for most it's basically going to boil down to regurgitated marketing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dream cars are like, something you have an emotional nostalgic connection with, and there is no way that is a 2021 acura TLX

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Truth. Also having a dream car is sad and bad because cars are awful

word

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
whacky pr hijinks count as advertising

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My dream car is a reliable midsize hybrid hatchback because I'm a giant loving goon who only occasionally ever drives in an urban environment to get groceries or to visit friends with kids out in the suburbs. In the meantime I'm gonna keep driving my 15 year old <130K mile Accord.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

My dream car is a reliable midsize hybrid hatchback because I'm a giant loving goon who only occasionally ever drives in an urban environment to get groceries or to visit friends with kids out in the suburbs. In the meantime I'm gonna keep driving my 15 year old <130K mile Accord.

Hybrid small truck. Like actual small not 2020 US small. Think an 80s era S-10. Or gently caress just a Prius made into a modern el Camino.

Even that’s less of a dream and more a want. If I’m honest a hatchback does 90% of what I want it to do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: not contributing to the detail.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

My dream car is a $250 bottle of Tesla Tequila
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/06/tech/tesla-tequila-nosotros-intl-hnk/index.html

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I want a 2020 Corvette because of how mad it made boomers.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My dream car is a teleporter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

If some AI poster wants to talk about a "dream car" based on hobbiest poo poo and it's something that's genuinely going to bring a lot of joy into their life I'm not going to poo poo on them.

"A" dream car... as in only one?

:shepspends:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, that's just the same aspirational status symbol stuff.

Again, ask someone why that is their dream car. I'm sure there's people out there who will go all car nerd on whatever and sure, ok, guess that is really the car you've been waiting for all these years. But for most it's basically going to boil down to regurgitated marketing.

Go look at a picture of a T top 1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and tell me you don't believe in dream cars. Stare at it for long enough and a mullet will manifest itself on your head.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm already driving my dream car. Mazda Miata, baby :c00l:

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hybrid small truck. Like actual small not 2020 US small. Think an 80s era S-10. Or gently caress just a Prius made into a modern el Camino.

Even that’s less of a dream and more a want. If I’m honest a hatchback does 90% of what I want it to do.

Have you ever looked at kei trucks?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Or a Subaru brat?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My dream car is one that is electric or plug in hybrid that can fit some kids and a couple dogs, is fun to drive and costs less than $50k.

I didn’t say it was realistic!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I bought the car I wanted when I was 10. No regrets. :)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

therobit posted:

Or a Subaru brat?

The official car of Hell?! You are a hoot and a holler, therobit

Residency Evil posted:

I bought the car I wanted when I was 10. No regrets. :)

Man, your allowance must have been a lot higher than mine

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

This thread has taught me Americans have seriously weird tastes in cars. Like half the time googling the names of those models I've never seen one in my life. What the gently caress is an Acura.

Just to add content, I'm from Eastern Europe, the go-to upper middle class status symbol here is a BMW/MB/Audi SUV, Cayenne if you're a bit more well off.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

lovely tuna snatch posted:

This thread has taught me Americans have seriously weird tastes in cars. Like half the time googling the names of those models I've never seen one in my life. What the gently caress is an Acura.

Just to add content, I'm from Eastern Europe, the go-to upper middle class status symbol here is a BMW/MB/Audi SUV, Cayenne if you're a bit more well off.

These are go-to's in the US as well for people who don't care about cars more than the car has to be nicere: expensive.

cubivore posted:

Have you ever looked at kei trucks?

Pretty dang expensive to get a Kei truck in the US since they are novelty imports and aren't street legal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

A 1980 Hilux body/frame with a Hybrid engine, or even just a modern 4 cylinder that gets 30mpg would be awesome as a toodle around and work truck. Most of the Hybrid engines are convoluted as hell to work on, an all electric drivetrain or a standard 4 cylinder is much easier to deal with. A Prius Camino would be mad nice though for packing around in a city.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Acura is Honda's high-end luxury models.

The junk collector posted:

Pretty dang expensive to get a Kei truck in the US since they are novelty imports and aren't street legal.
I live in Japantown, and there are a few of those around here, but yeah, I've never seen them anywhere else. Those things are loving great, saw them all over Taiwan when I was there.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

The entire thing surrounding "dream cars" is such stupid bullshit.

Don't get me wrong. If someone genuinely loves a particular model or year for whatever reason, let your freak flag fly. You're in love with the awful late 80s ford mustangs because your dad owned one and you've got great memories of driving around in it with him? Cool, call that POS your dream car, and have fun wrenching on it. If some AI poster wants to talk about a "dream car" based on hobbiest poo poo and it's something that's genuinely going to bring a lot of joy into their life I'm not going to poo poo on them.

The other side of that is realistically unattainable supercars (Lamborghini, McLaren, etc .. even an Acura NSX) as dream cars. Sure, there's marketing involved, but there is also legitimate track performance there that just doesn't exist in a more reasonable car. But that's the kind of dream that should only be considered when the purchase price fits into the "toys" line item in your budget, not someone who's trying to figure out if they can afford the payments.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Acura is just a fancy Honda. Much like Lexus is a fancy Toyota.

But maybe for context you should also add that BMW/MB/Audi in Europe have lower trim models so they aren't as expensive. And smaller models. Like, the A/B-class in hatchback (as small as 1.3L and/or Diesel) and Audi A1/A2, these are all comparable to price to a Mazda 3, VW Polo or Hyundai i30 (at least here in Australia, and using the German MB site as a comparison as well).

Speaking of BWM - a new Cayenne is AUD$150k, up to 300k for the hybrid model :wtf:

Also:

quote:

What's the loan term?

I can't believe that a lending institution would make this loan to a nineteen year old.

You need to check you paperwork because I think the dealership lied to the bank about your age.

OP posted:

How do I check? It’s financed with Toyota financial
Doesn't even know their loan term

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

The junk collector posted:

I love those trucks and I'm mad they're not street legal. There's a place less than 50 miles from me that apparently imports and sells them. They have one for $5400. I just want it to go from Lowes/Home Depot to my house! I can take service roads the whole way! drat YOU, U.S.!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

topenga posted:

I love those trucks and I'm mad they're not street legal. There's a place less than 50 miles from me that apparently imports and sells them. They have one for $5400. I just want it to go from Lowes/Home Depot to my house! I can take service roads the whole way! drat YOU, U.S.!

Both Home Depot and Lowes have pretty cheap truck rentals - the $20 they charge would cover 270 trips before you start looking at break-even, and that's before all the operating costs of the Kei. The extra trips back and forth are a hassle though.

I've used them to pick up large purchases are other places, it tends to be the cheapest way to get a pickup for a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Kei trucks crumple zones are the passengers and cargo