Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

not caring here posted:

I thought he was good with deutsch bank for 2 more years?

No, they gave him leniency and helped wipe some of his debt when he took office, but most of his debt, something like $1 billion of it, comes due next year sometime.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danale...sh=521d54725f37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zamujasa posted:

As for demographics, the US is huge and I have to ask what state you would consider a good demographic representation for the majority of the US.

But most of the reason was that it was one of the few early primaries caucuses when most of the candidates were still in and it had ranked-choice votes.

Probably not a less white (caucasian) and also less black state than the national average that makes up less than 1% of the population for a start. No state is perfect, but AZ, PA, and NC all make a bit more sense to me.

Is there any evidence caucuses are more accurate in determining GE winners? Sure doesn’t look like it. The GE is not a caucus and caucus favorites haven’t done exceptionally well unless it’s a very clear frontrunner.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

PeterCat posted:

Gettysburg the movie is Lost Cause propaganda. The only black guy in the movie is a run away slave with no lines, while multiple Confederates get to state the slavery is totally not the reason for Secession.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, Gettysburg has problems (This video goes into it from a historical and a technical perspective), but it does have its moments. For instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjPdIwCD5_g

How can you say such things when it has such wonderful music. Brought to us by the guy who did Ghostbusters 2, Kindergarten Cop, Anaconda, and the theme to MacGuyver.

but for real, eliminating all lost cause propaganda is still a long struggle, but i'm willing to keep it up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wasn't there a post in the current events thread just before this one was started talking about Trump fearing Federal probes in addition to nine figures worth of loans coming due?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

We're going to see the mother of all gofundmes

Someone caught that his legal defense/recount fund has a disclaimer that up to 50% of the donation could be used to retire campaign debt. And since he already is making noises about running in 2024 (probably won't), he probably wants the money for lawyers and poo poo.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Zamujasa posted:

Also consider AOC's tweet thread earlier in which the progressive side of the party actually did fairly well everywhere, while the more moderate Ds floundered.

I don't think she's necessarily wrong (especially when we start thinking about how people feel about progressive policies) and with her critique of outreach of moderate Dems, but many of the most progressive Democrats are also in (generally) more liberal districts. I don't think its a given that those same people win, even though policies like marijuana legalization, $15 minimum wage, and MFA are extremely popular. Given the relative density of brainworms in the general population, it remains difficult for me to see Bernie, et al., winning persuasively across the country.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wasn't there a post in the current events thread just before this one was started talking about Trump fearing Federal probes in addition to nine figures worth of loans coming due?

I mean, odds are kinda stacked against him:
New York wants to see his taxes and open his books. His kids are likely in trouble for fraud there
His debts are coming due, and he's been using his properties as a way to funnel money....somewhere. Might not even be to his own pockets.
I'd be surprised if his expenditures against the Secret Service and other Federal Departments for lodging at Trump properties don't get investigated
Kushner and Trump's sons used the Executive Office as their own personal fraud department
Even if he doesn't face jail time, and he most likely won't, a lot of his empire is in trouble.

And that's just him. There's his appointees and what they did, there's the appointments that were never confirmed, there's the poo poo Devos pulled. There's a laundry list of investigations that could go for multiple presidencies. Trump will likely be dead long before its all settled.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 6, 2020

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I want to live long enough for the last 72 hours of white house internal recordings to become public

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

lightpole posted:

AOC was pretty clear with her post so you should probably reread it. Its not a progressives/moderates thing but a how did you reach out to your supporters, did you put in the effort, spend the resources, on the right media, did you utilize 21st century media, etc. AOC has worked to make connections with the younger generation and used modern forms of communication to get her message out so people see it.

It was primarily about messaging, but I'm not really seeing a conflict with the idea that the dem establishment is full of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324698828944138243

I mean, gently caress:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324696270674530304

Might as well paste in the dril tweet about unloading an entire mag of bullets into your leg.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Gettysburg wasn't as big a Lost Cause propaganda piece as Gods and Generals was.

Gods and Generals was a wet, sloppy blowjob to Stonewall Jackson that lasted for 270 minutes.

If you guys have the time I could go into why Chamberlain's bayonet charge didn't really account for a whole hell of a lot (but was still pretty goddamned awesome).

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

gonna have a chuckle if trump's presidential retirement checks get garnished

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zamujasa posted:

It was primarily about messaging, but I'm not really seeing a conflict with the idea that the dem establishment is full of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324698828944138243

I mean, gently caress:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324696270674530304

Might as well paste in the dril tweet about unloading an entire mag of bullets into your leg.

I think you missed a later post she made:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1324778791961612288?s=20

It's not really about who has progressive policies, but rather who's putting in the work to reach their voters—and consequently, moderate dems shouldn't be blaming progressives for losing when they were the ones who just shoved all their money into TV ads and barely bothered with digital engagement.

McNally posted:

If you guys have the time I could go into why Chamberlain's bayonet charge didn't really account for a whole hell of a lot (but was still pretty goddamned awesome).

why is this a question, go for it!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PookBear posted:

gonna have a chuckle if trump's presidential retirement checks get garnished

I could see that happening. He was using billing against the DOD, SS, and others to stay at his facilities. I suspect a lot of that money will be demanded back by the Feds.

Plus, the misappropriation of funds that we already know about, like using DOD funding to build the wall or using funds outside of their specified purposes.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 6, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

posting range is hot

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Looking forward to months of chuds checking credit card bills and still being charged for monthly donations to trump that they’ve tried to cancel five times.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

McNally posted:

Gettysburg wasn't as big a Lost Cause propaganda piece as Gods and Generals was.

Gods and Generals was a wet, sloppy blowjob to Stonewall Jackson that lasted for 270 minutes.

Wasn't there a Minnesota group that basically charged out of the lines from Cemetary ridge to buy time for the union to form their lines and shore up holes?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think you missed a later post she made:

I did, because it's not part of the same thread. Twitter is great.

quote:

It's not really about who has progressive policies, but rather who's putting in the work to reach their voters—and consequently, moderate dems shouldn't be blaming progressives for losing when they were the ones who just shoved all their money into TV ads and barely bothered with digital engagement.

The bolded part is what I focused on, especially because of garbage like this:
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1324439295847968768

I think we agree on point of "progressives aren't the reasons the Ds did poorly in this election, it's the fact that the D establishment is poo poo". Sorry for the confusion.

the yellow dart posted:

I don't think its a given that those same people win, even though policies like marijuana legalization, $15 minimum wage, and MFA are extremely popular. Given the relative density of brainworms in the general population, it remains difficult for me to see Bernie, et al., winning persuasively across the country.

I mean, part of that is because the supposed left party constantly runs away from those issues.

Embrace the actual progressive policies, work them into your platform, bash the media in the head until it starts actually educating voters and stops with false equivalency and "both sides" nonsense.

I'd also like a pony and a few billion dollars, since that has about the same chance of happening.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Someone caught that his legal defense/recount fund has a disclaimer that up to 50% of the donation could be used to retire campaign debt. And since he already is making noises about running in 2024 (probably won't), he probably wants the money for lawyers and poo poo.

“50% of each contribution, up to a maximum of $2,800 ($5,000), to be designated toward DJTFP’s 2020 general election account for general election debt retirement until such debt is retired. 50% of each contribution, up to a maximum of $2,800 ($5,000), to be designated toward DJTFP’s Recount Account. Any amount that exceeds the applicable contribution limit for 2020 general election debt retirement, including any amounts donated to DJTFP after such debt has been retired, will be designated in full toward DJFTP’s Recount Account, up to a maximum of $2,800 ($5,000).”

Not only is it allocated to campaign debt, it’s the first allocation listed.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Russ_Mathes/status/1324793362256433152?s=20

:perfect:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zamujasa posted:

I did, because it's not part of the same thread. Twitter is great.

The bolded part is what I focused on, especially because of garbage like this:
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1324439295847968768

I think we agree on point of "progressives aren't the reasons the Ds did poorly in this election, it's the fact that the D establishment is poo poo". Sorry for the confusion.

I mean, part of that is because the supposed left party constantly runs away from those issues.

Embrace the actual progressive policies, work them into your platform, bash the media in the head until it starts actually educating voters and stops with false equivalency and "both sides" nonsense.

I'd also like a pony and a few billion dollars, since that has about the same chance of happening.

Yeah, Spanburger is an idiot, and they keep sacrificing they key supporters to try to court GOP voters away, and it never works.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, Spanburger is an idiot, and they keep sacrificing they key supporters to try to court GOP voters away, and it never works.

I mean - Spanberger and say - AOC's districts are hugely different. VA made a lot of blue inroads that would probably be considered R voters a decade ago. What she is saying is probably true for a few districts.

E: Now - is it worth it to chase the right and sacrifice the left? Probably not.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never mind Imgur is being dumb

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1324806195970912256?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TCD posted:

I mean - Spanberger and say - AOC's districts are hugely different. VA made a lot of blue inroads that would probably be considered R voters a decade ago. What she is saying is probably true for a few districts.

E: Now - is it worth it to chase the right and sacrifice the left? Probably not.

Maybe for hers, but her argument basically reflects Pelosi and the DCCC which OPENLY tried to support candidates to push out Progressives like Omar and AOC. They think moving Moderate in a Overton Political Window shifted right will somehow pry people away from the GOP and their cult.

Hell, as AOC pointed out, DCCC punished and banned groups for working with progressives.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 6, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well thank you Amazon

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well thank you Amazon

Hahaha :sickos:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well thank you Amazon

I got this shirt and sticker recently

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1324784432763539456?s=20

This basically supports what AOC and other progressives are saying: Being moderates losses elections.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

See even a filthy centrist can be cool...or at least his shirts. :)

But also :sherman:

I think that Sherman, should be the GiP or the CE thread at least, gang tat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

See even a filthy centrist can be cool...or at least his shirts. :)

But also :sherman:

I think that Sherman, should be the GiP or the CE thread at least, gang tat.

gently caress yes, I want my sherman gang tag.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress yes, I want my sherman gang tag.
:gritin:
I am too, for the CE thread, I’d hate people to think I was trying to be an SOF MARINE or something.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 6, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I am most definitely down with a Sherman tag

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

This basically supports what AOC and other progressives are saying: Being moderates losses elections.

Correlation != causation. Does it control for district tilt? Doesn't seem to.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Solid Snake and Miss QAnon are fighting already.

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1324806575597461504?s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MazelTovCocktail posted:

:gritin:
I do too, for the CE thread, I’d hate people trying and think I was trying to be an SOF MARINE or something.

Yeah, I'm not claiming I was in at all because I wasn't, but I'd rock a Sherman tag for the CE thread.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well thank you Amazon

:laffo:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lol, this is great, because that's the one big issue with QAnon becoming some big power block: They don't understand how to work together, everything is a conspiracy, and they are basically nuts.

wins32767 posted:

Correlation != causation. Does it control for district tilt? Doesn't seem to.

Maybe not, but let's be clear: the proof is that trying to attract GOP voters away from Trumpism is a waste of god damned time.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

the yellow dart posted:

I don't think she's necessarily wrong (especially when we start thinking about how people feel about progressive policies) and with her critique of outreach of moderate Dems, but many of the most progressive Democrats are also in (generally) more liberal districts. I don't think its a given that those same people win, even though policies like marijuana legalization, $15 minimum wage, and MFA are extremely popular. Given the relative density of brainworms in the general population, it remains difficult for me to see Bernie, et al., winning persuasively across the country.

its not a given that progressives will win. but what is a given is that centrism keeps losing.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CommieGIR posted:

That's... not what she was saying. At all! The tweet I posted explicitly called out Kelly and Hickenlooper for having run good campaigns, and they both ran as moderates. What she called out in her thread (which is a very good read by the by - AOC is an incredibly smart political operator) is moderates blaming progressive candidates and policies for losses instead of looking at what the winning campaigns (both progressive and moderate) did right.

e: also I would fully support a Sherman gang tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's... not what she was saying. At all! The tweet I posted explicitly called out Kelly and Hickenlooper for having run good campaigns, and they both ran as moderates. What she called out in her thread (which is a very good read by the by - AOC is an incredibly smart political operator) is moderates blaming progressive candidates and policies for losses instead of looking at what the winning campaigns (both progressive and moderate) did right.

e: also I would fully support a Sherman gang tag

I don't think that's what I was saying either.