Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Dave Syndrome posted:

I've read quite in a few "Making of" texts that this blessing is exactly what Lucas based "May the Force be with you" on.

The modern "and with your spirit" equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

This reminds me of something I wondered about as they were trying to escape the spiders in the tunnels. Each blaster shot of his lit him up and his immediate surroundings in bright red light and it was accurate to where his blaster was -- how do they do that? Is he holding something that produces the light? Is someone shining it on him from off camera? Is CG lighting just that good?

I believe that they can put in the blaster bolt now in the software, and set it to emit light as it travels. Everything that is CGI is lit up by the bolt in the computer and they use the aforementioned practical effects for the actors

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Vintersorg posted:

What is all that crap? gently caress, I hate fan fiction on how you can do things better than what we got here. TVIV does this all the time for shows that are nowhere near "bad" or "im gonna skip it next time!!".

The well is poisoned from people wanting epic Game of Thrones style arcs. The same bullshit plagued the Raised by Wolves thread with people coming in on how they would have done things so much better instead of going along for the ride.

E: Do you also think Han Solo coming in at the last minute to save Luke was bullshit? He comes in, shoots the other TIE's away then flies off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcPOd28oN0

Up until this point he was shown to not give a poo poo and hosed off. Just like the X-Wing pilots here - well, we lost him, gently caress. Then it turns out no - they didnt gently caress off, they kept searching and saved them.

Yeah the X-Wing bitching is weird. It was pretty obvious to me that the space cops egos were bruised by Mando escaping them them. They kept looking for him even when they put together that he'd been at the crime scene but probably didn't do the crime. Then so they could unbruise their egos they tracked him down all like "Ha! Nobody ditches the space cops! We're gonna let you go with a warning, but get your tags registered. Good luck getting out of that ditch, bitch." Saying that them showing up with clearly sated reasons at the start and showing up again for obvious reasons at the end is deus ex machina just shows a lack of understanding of what the term means.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if that's the pre-vis at work, where they basically animate the entire episode in CG and then have the actors run through it

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lobok posted:

This reminds me of something I wondered about as they were trying to escape the spiders in the tunnels. Each blaster shot of his lit him up and his immediate surroundings in bright red light and it was accurate to where his blaster was -- how do they do that? Is he holding something that produces the light? Is someone shining it on him from off camera? Is CG lighting just that good?

Sometimes shows like this will have a light on set that flashes, and then the blaster shots are timed to the practical light in post-production rather than the other way around. The other way to do it is to get a lidar scan of the set, which becomes a rough 3d model of it that can be lined up to get interactive lighting rendered against it later on. The same thing would be done for Mando himself - he's probably body-tracked to have reflection passes run on him (though the stage they film on with LED wraparounds is likely making his less necessary).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did not see it as a deus ex because when that giant spider came back and landed on his ship I was literally thinking "Oh poo poo his only hope now is if those X wings are still around". If I was anticipating it, it didn't come out of nowhere

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Plus Mando was detonating explosives in an area they were actively scanning

That shot where the ship is full of spiders and he's climbing the ladder made me legit say "Oh poo poo how are they getting out of this" out loud.

Spider fight owned

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah the X-Wing bitching is weird. It was pretty obvious to me that the space cops egos were bruised by Mando escaping them them. They kept looking for him even when they put together that he'd been at the crime scene but probably didn't do the crime. Then so they could unbruise their egos they tracked him down all like "Ha! Nobody ditches the space cops! We're gonna let you go with a warning, but get your tags registered. Good luck getting out of that ditch, bitch." Saying that them showing up with clearly sated reasons at the start and showing up again for obvious reasons at the end is deus ex machina just shows a lack of understanding of what the term means.

There's a lot going on there. First, it's clear that these guys aren't the New Republic version of Roscoe and Enos or some other hayseed Highway Patrol guys. These pilots are almost certainly combat veterans from the Rebellion who are highly skilled and justifiably proud of that skill. The fact that Din managed to evade them in an antique (while they were in X-wings) wounded that pride, but figure they also respected somebody who could do something like that.

So they're determined to find Din. Meanwhile, they get the story of what happened at NR prison and recognize that while Din is a criminal he's not necessarily a "bad guy." They eventually do find him (possibly due to all the weaponry that Din is setting off plus when he engaged the engines). They kill (or drive off) the spiders because a badass pilot like Din (which he had to be because they're badass pilots and he managed to evade them) doesn't deserve to die as spider-food. And since Din is a criminal, but not a "bad guy" (much like during the Rebellion they would have been criminals to the Empire) they cut him some slack and let him off with a warning.

But he did hurt their pride so that deserves a little punishment so no, they aren't going to help him fix his ship, too.

But figure as well that if Din really thought the child or his passenger would have been truly endangered, he likely would have revealed their existence or otherwise asked for help.

As for the pilots coming in at the last moment to save Din and the others, maybe that's a little "dues exy" but it's also in the nature of the Star Wars setting for help to arrive just in the nick of time.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2020

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I figured they were running down the Crest since it could have been the Twi’lek he got out of the prison barge, not Din

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Like all of you my partner and I were yelling at the screen for rear end in a top hat Baby Yoda to stop, but as parents of young children I realise how futile it is sometimes.

I loved that scene for reminding me that this show isn't always going to do the most obvious Disney thing, and can delve into a pretty dark sense of humour.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Isometric Bacon posted:

Like all of you my partner and I were yelling at the screen for rear end in a top hat Baby Yoda to stop, but as parents of young children I realise how futile it is sometimes.

I loved that scene for reminding me that this show isn't always going to do the most obvious Disney thing, and can delve into a pretty dark sense of humour.

Yeah, getting a kid to stop eating frog eggs can feel like ice skating uphill sometimes. You gotta save your energy for when they do something really unsafe.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I figured they were running down the Crest since it could have been the Twi’lek he got out of the prison barge, not Din

Then they sure did a half assed job by not even searching his ship.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Then they sure did a half assed job by not even searching his ship.

Full of spiders man, gently caress that

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol Dee Bradley Baker voiced the Frog Lady

Checks out. Dee is the master of inhale-talking.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That dude’s dead though, Filoni himself blew up the station he was on.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those weren't New Republic pilots, by the way. They were Stormtroopers. Only Stormtroopers are so precise as to shoot hundreds of spiders crawling over a ship :v:.

I was so glad by the time they showed up I didn't care if it was a Deus Ex Machina or not. I was just happy to feel this excited and thrilled watching something Star Wars, something I haven't felt - I want to say since the OT, but even the OT didn't have any moment that felt as tense.

I thought they'd escape before any spider got inside the ship, even.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
DESERT PLANET ICE PLANET DESERT PLANET ICE PLANET ON REPEAT FOREVER

Everyone posted:

There's a lot going on there.
~
As for the pilots coming in at the last moment to save Din and the others, maybe that's a little "dues exy" but it's also in the nature of the Star Wars setting for help to arrive just in the nick of time.

This actually fleshes it out for me a lot better and I don't feel as confused as before. ty

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like at this point I'm just happy to have non-egregiously bad Star Wars content, because I'm enjoying all of this to one extent or another.

Thom12255 posted:

X-Wings are so cool.

100% this, they're top of my Spaceship list ever since I saw a re-release of A New Hope when I was like eight.

I get that at it's heart Star Wars isn't really a hard sci-fi or arguably sci-fi at all, but I really really wish they'd do a spaceship focused movie or show. I don't care whether that's ship based or preferably like war movie in space-esque, though never go down the route of those bombers in TLJ ever again.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mandrel posted:

I liked how weird the egg eating made me feel. It was funny but not funny because it’s bad, but not that bad. I dunno, I think the conflicting part about it that people don’t like is what I liked about it. A little bit of comic moral ambiguity. It felt deliberate to me

Yeah, I’m pretty sure they’re trying to make baby yoda a little less cute for some reason, the shot with him kind of grossly eating the spider was part of that too I think. I don’t think we were supposed to think the stealing the eggs thing was that funny, it was more a character thing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The spider egg eating was gross as poo poo and the only thing that perturbed me in the episode. A lot more than giant boss spider tbh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Khaba posted:

I don't care whether that's ship based or preferably like war movie in space-esque, though never go down the route of those bombers in TLJ ever again.

Nah, the TLJ bombers were great.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, the TLJ bombers were great.

I mean, it's actually kind of nice to see that someone enjoyed it, but personally the whole sequence hurt my soul.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Khaba posted:

I mean, it's actually kind of nice to see that someone enjoyed it, but personally the whole sequence hurt my soul.

I love almost every bit of TLJ, so I’m used to being the sole dissenting opinion and I get why.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I mostly feel like the spaceship stuff isn't a huge focus in most Star Wars stuff, so I'm just very happy whenever we get stuff like the atmo-chase in the latest episode.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The MG-100 StarFortress might be the best new ship design out of Star Wars since the disney buy-out....though I did enjoy the new imperial shuttle class from Rogue One as well.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CubanMissile posted:

I like how they responded with “and also with you.” since that’s what happens in my head every single time because of Catholic school.

My mind immediately went "Lift up your hearts." :v:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

jivjov posted:

The MG-100 StarFortress might be the best new ship design out of Star Wars since the disney buy-out....though I did enjoy the new imperial shuttle class from Rogue One as well.

Nah. The U-Wing and the Starhawk would be my choices.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I waffle really hard on the U-Wing. I love star wars having more troop transports, but the prongs on the U-Wing look so doofy. I like when they're engaged in flight configuration, but that is depicted so rarely.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Khaba posted:

I feel like at this point I'm just happy to have non-egregiously bad Star Wars content, because I'm enjoying all of this to one extent or another.

:same:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

jivjov posted:

I waffle really hard on the U-Wing. I love star wars having more troop transports, but the prongs on the U-Wing look so doofy. I like when they're engaged in flight configuration, but that is depicted so rarely.

It's a swing wing, swing wings are inherently cool, therefore the U-Wing is cool.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
If I never hear another Jericho trumpet again, though, I'll be happy

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

MJeff posted:

My mind immediately went "Lift up your hearts." :v:

We lift them up to The Force...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Good:
Razor Crest
TLJ Bombers
MC-75 (Rogue One Mon Cal)
MC-85 (TLJ Mon Cal)
Kylo’s TLJ TIE
Krennic’s Shuttle
ST X-Wings
Lando’s Falcon

Mediocre:
ST A-Wings
Ghost
TIE Dagger
U-Wing

Bad:
Every Resistance racer
Knights of Ren ship
TIE Striker
TIE Reaper

Aside from Rey’s Speeder, Han’s Speeder, and any reused McQuarrie/Kenner designs, the ground vehicles have all been hideous though.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cobb Vanth's sidecar bolted to podracer engine design was great and I refuse to hear any criticism of it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I like B-wings.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Complications posted:

Cobb Vanth's sidecar bolted to podracer engine design was great and I refuse to hear any criticism of it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CubanMissile posted:

I like B-wings.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Captain Splendid posted:

May the Force be with you

And also with you

Every former and current Catholic finally validated.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bust Rodd posted:

DESERT PLANET ICE PLANET DESERT PLANET ICE PLANET ON REPEAT FOREVER

This actually fleshes it out for me a lot better and I don't feel as confused as before. ty

You got forest planet and swamp planet.

There's salt planet, which in my opinion implies there is a pepper planet.

There's also city planet and garbage planet.

Garbage planet has only been in books and games so far but I gotta believe Mando hits Ord Mantell someday. Oh that reminds me Ord Mantell you could also classify as Train planet. There was another train planet in Solo, which I would also call a Canyon planet.

And we can't forget cloud planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aside from Rey’s Speeder, Han’s Speeder, and any reused McQuarrie/Kenner designs, the ground vehicles have all been hideous though.

Lando's all-track thing ruled, though.