Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nope, no way to save or import loadouts. It's criminal.

right arm posted:

I'm slowly buying all the ships I consider fun, so far I have the DBE and the Krait Phantom

should I just keep running transport missions to save up for a python for mining fun? that's what I did to kit out the phantom with all A class internals, but I have no idea what or where I should go to earn money. I'd previously been doing sothis -> sol runs, but just finished jumping over to sol because why not

thanks o7
I ended up outfitting an Asp for mining, then using that to leap into a Python and then an Anaconda, didn't take very long to do and gets you Elite Trader very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Frontier imagined everyone would just own multiple ships rather than swap loadouts on one. That's why they tried to make modules sell for a loss that time :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I am thinking of just outfitting a second Anaconda if I want to use it for anything other than mining.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Pilchenstein posted:

Frontier imagined everyone would just own multiple ships rather than swap loadouts on one. That's why they tried to make modules sell for a loss that time :v:

because of that time period, as a habit, i never really sell modules. i just cleaned my 120/120 inventory out again. so much garbage. made like 100 mil tho!

also i guess grabbing a second python wouldnt be the end of the world. it probably has enough module overlap both up and down that stuff i engineered for the second one would be quite universal, etc.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Yeah it sucks and is why I have 3x FDLs, 2x Condas, 2x Kraits and 2x Phantoms (as well as all the other ships). It just reached a point where interacting with the outfitting screen was more off-putting than engineering up a whole 'nother hull.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I wish this game had custom/saved builds. It’s kinda ridiculous that it doesn’t. Just park your ‘Conda at any station with a shipyard and press “exploration build” and all your custom engineered poo poo and modules transfer over. You could still keep a delay and charge a small fee to do it to preserve FDev’s ridiculous sense of “balance” to appease the idiots on the offices forums even.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah it sucks and is why I have 3x FDLs, 2x Condas, 2x Kraits and 2x Phantoms (as well as all the other ships). It just reached a point where interacting with the outfitting screen was more off-putting than engineering up a whole 'nother hull.

this is how i feel now about specifically that python that i've rekitted countless times over the years. in reality the hulls themselves are quite cheap anyway. just like a boat lol.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tommy the Newt posted:

Yeah so immediately: that's an exploration ship with a 3D shield and ~2 plasma volleys worth of health. So right now you cannot fight in that ship. You simply can't fight anything stronger than an Eagle and you might as well remove all the guns to save weight because there's 100% no point in having them. Also you should always try to A rate your powerplant for better heat management, you can downsize it to save weight, but don't use a D.

If you wanted to be able to fight back you'd need to do something like this as an absolute bare minimum https://s.orbis.zone/a5e7

If you just want to make a non-fighty efficient jumping ship you'd do something like this https://s.orbis.zone/a5eb and fire heatsinks to drop from enemy radar if you get in trouble.

But yeah, you can't fight in an Asp with zero defense modules and all D rated components, the game just isn't built that way.

EDIT: There are a few ships you can successfully multi-role in, like the Kraits, Python, Anaconda, Cutter and Corvette but the Asp is an exploration ship, and while it can be made combat capable you can't really do it without sacrificing a fair amount of what made it good for its role. It gets easier to multi-role when you have engineering access too because you can dramatically increase your survivability and DPS without adding/removing modules. For reference this is what a combat Asp would look like (don't make a combat Asp) https://s.orbis.zone/a5eu but you really need to look at getting past 1000 health points in order to be comfortable escaping danger, or hoping to fight back.

Thank you for your suggestions. I think what happened is I stalled out on making money, so even a Krait looked like it would consume all my savings, so I focused on using the Asp Exp for everything. Doing a comparison I see that even a Krait can carry way more stuff and still use medium pads, so it might be time for me to put my effort into generating revenue to support moving up to the next ship.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you for your suggestions. I think what happened is I stalled out on making money, so even a Krait looked like it would consume all my savings, so I focused on using the Asp Exp for everything. Doing a comparison I see that even a Krait can carry way more stuff and still use medium pads, so it might be time for me to put my effort into generating revenue to support moving up to the next ship.

Thankfully the revenue grind is the easiest one to do these days. :D

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

You could spec that Asp out for mining fairly cheaply and make 50~ million credits in one run, https://s.orbis.zone/a5m5 something like this (you can press the dollar sign to find out where to buy the stuff near you), then fill ~3/4ths of your hold with limpets and head to a double painite hotspot https://edtools.cc/miner by using this tool. Then use the same tool to find the best sell station near you. Painite mining isn't super exciting but it's good money and can be kinda chill, and I personally think the game gets more fun and less daunting the more cash and ships you have on hand.

To painite mine you head to the designated planet - fire your Detailed Surface Scanner into the ring so it shows the hotspots. Then fly into the middle of the overlap (you just crash into the ring), then come to a full stop and let whatever pirates spawn scan you (they almost always spawn in when you do, but will scan you once then leave you alone if you only have limpets on you), then you fly around shooting your prospector limpet at asteroids and mining the ones that have a high painite count. There are plenty of decent-ish guides on youtube etc.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'll take a look at mining as an option. I never made a serious attempt at it. If I don't like it I'll see if the Road to Riches is still an option since I already know how to scoop and scan.

The Krait II is my target. I think it can probably accomplish what I've been trying to do with the Asp Ex.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

smug jeebus posted:

How do people like the Funship? assuming A-rated 5-rank DD Thrusters, is it maneuverable enough to use fixed guns?

With FA-off, yes. It's all about maintaining medium range, though, you get eaten alive if you get into a knife fight in that. Stack on module protection too; compared to FDS/FAS the Funship feels like stuff breaks all the time.

I fly Funships quite a bit, and they're fun but they're definitely a very hipster choice.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 8, 2020

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Dick Trauma posted:

I'll take a look at mining as an option. I never made a serious attempt at it. If I don't like it I'll see if the Road to Riches is still an option since I already know how to scoop and scan.

The Krait II is my target. I think it can probably accomplish what I've been trying to do with the Asp Ex.

I use a krait II as my "multirole" mission runner for boosting minor faction inf. It's pretty capable at most mission types: easy to mid level assassinations, planet base scan and hack missions, attacking megaships, light cargo and data hauling and smuggling. It wouldn't be too fun trying to solo combat zones with it or taking down groups of elites but as a ship that can do a bit of everything it works pretty well. (The seeker missile was a CG reward and i'm only using it for fun)

https://s.orbis.zone/a5nx

Exploration can still make you cash, but to be honest just spending an afternoon mining will make you way more than several days of exploration.

kemikalkadet fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 8, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

El Perkele posted:

It's all about maintaining medium range, though, you get eaten alive if you get into a knife fight in that.
Is this in czs or something? With my seven multicannon gunship in hazres I'm practically (and sometimes literally :v:) bouncing off the enemy's hull while blazing away :blastu:

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

Is this in czs or something? With my seven multicannon gunship in hazres I'm practically (and sometimes literally :v:) bouncing off the enemy's hull while blazing away :blastu:

CZs. it's better to maintain fire and not joust

as soon as you start to joust in gunship you are no longer playing to it's strengths because you're slow as poo poo and most other combat ships can flip faster than you, so just loving pour horrible fire on ppl from 1,5 klicks away

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

jousting = just doing a staffing run basically?

why would u do that when u can literally shut off flight assist and fly literal circles around them with your guns on them the whole time

now, if ramming people or trying to counts as a joust then, lol, well,

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

El Perkele posted:

CZs. it's better to maintain fire and not joust
Yeah, this is what I'm doing, more bullets hit the closer you are :v:

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Pilchenstein posted:

I think the issue Perkele is getting at is NPCs have a tendency to boost past you once you cross a critical range threshold, specifically the higher rank ones seem to be programmed to joust which can get a bit irritating if you're not managing it carefully. It's not a problem in RES because they have so little health you can kill them before they have a chance to, but when it's 3000+ hull Vultures range management can be a pretty good idea. It's still good to get close, the closer to the powerplant the better, but you'd want to exhaust their distributor first so they can't boost away. Circle strafing and slowly closing range can trigger a boost from them, at which point throwing into full reverse so they waste their energy flying up to you instead of past you. If you're behind something then there's no problem boosting right up to it though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

You could spec that Asp out for mining fairly cheaply and make 50~ million credits in one run, https://s.orbis.zone/a5m5 something like this (you can press the dollar sign to find out where to buy the stuff near you), then fill ~3/4ths of your hold with limpets and head to a double painite hotspot

I'm trying to refit to use your mining recommendation but my mass does not match what's on your ship profile, so even stripping the ship completely and starting from scratch I always hit a mass limit and cannot fit everything. Yours shows something like 490+ but mine tops out at 473. Let's just add this to the list of ED things I don't understand. I thought that each hull had a maximum weight so I don't understand how you can fit more equipment on your profile than I can on mine.

It's the first time I've run into this outfitting a ship from a suggested profile.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jousting is loving boring so I outfit and engineer my ships specifically not to do it. I want cannons blazing the entire time I'm fighting someone.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

that's true and against large ships/chaff very much what you need to be right up their rear end (best chaff counter), but with more agile ships they very quickly start to boost past you and draw additional aggro.

there's a sweet spot where you can easily keep the target on sights for maximum amount of time, which in CZ Full Dakka FGS means basically trying to prevent any turning with vultures/viper4s/fdls at all, ever. if you can pick your targets and only fight condas/pythons/kraits etc. you don't have to be so picky and can be more aggressive

i have no idea how something crazy like full plasma or frag FGS would work on FA-off.

edit: anyways, gunship is always great fun, and i actually prefer it to vette (it's also much handier as dedicated CZ sweeper since we happen to wage war at medium pads quite often)

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 8, 2020

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm trying to refit to use your mining recommendation but my mass does not match what's on your ship profile, so even stripping the ship completely and starting from scratch I always hit a mass limit and cannot fit everything. Yours shows something like 490+ but mine tops out at 473. Let's just add this to the list of ED things I don't understand. I thought that each hull had a maximum weight so I don't understand how you can fit more equipment on your profile than I can on mine.

It's the first time I've run into this outfitting a ship from a suggested profile.

Try using 5D thrusters, I thought I put them on but it seems to have bugged out.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

El Perkele posted:

i have no idea how something crazy like full plasma or frag FGS would work on FA-off.

Doesn't really work well with standard speed plasma because of inherited velocity which you... don't have. Aggressively boosting is the best way to drop plasma and kind of at odds with the gunship. You can use focused / long range plasma and sync it with multicannon shot speed though, g4 is close enough to fixed multis to make it work.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Tommy the Newt posted:

Doesn't really work well because plasma inherits velocity and you... don't have any. Aggressively boosting is the best way to drop plasma and kind of at odds with the gunship. You can use focused / long range plasma and sync it with multicannon shot speed though, g4 is close enough to fixed multis to make it work.

I actually have a fixed one reticle pa/mc build with focused PA i think. It's stupid and fun; it's also very inefficient unless you're great shot which I am not because, you know, fixed attrition.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I gave painite mining a go and yeah this seems a bit more chill than deep rock blasting. I had some issues with other stuff like how the poo poo do I change fire groups and i stupidly followed some build I found online (on the elite miners subreddit) for an all rounder mining python and I kinda hate the small rear end scoop it recommended. Also if I'm going to be laser mining then I might as well drop the other poo poo I won't be using.

Anyone have a recommended laser mining python build I can copy? I did make like 30 million out of the hour so I just spent getting the hang of it. Also I think I need to be paying more a attention to what's going on with the refiner. Anyways, gonna go watch a few more videos and see if I can find a better build for this.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I gave painite mining a go and yeah this seems a bit more chill than deep rock blasting. I had some issues with other stuff like how the poo poo do I change fire groups and i stupidly followed some build I found online (on the elite miners subreddit) for an all rounder mining python and I kinda hate the small rear end scoop it recommended. Also if I'm going to be laser mining then I might as well drop the other poo poo I won't be using.

Anyone have a recommended laser mining python build I can copy? I did make like 30 million out of the hour so I just spent getting the hang of it. Also I think I need to be paying more a attention to what's going on with the refiner. Anyways, gonna go watch a few more videos and see if I can find a better build for this.
https://s.orbis.zone/a5wp
You can tweak it further easily, engineer up the FSD or whatever, but this is more or less what I used.

position your cargo hatch closer to the mining fragments to get the most out of those limpets and you shouldn't have any issues tbh.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 8, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tommy the Newt posted:

Try using 5D thrusters, I thought I put them on but it seems to have bugged out.

I see now that the thrusters appear to control that mass limit. I got everything equipped, found the nearest overlapping mining spot, launched my ship bound for glory and... realized I'd forgotten to buy limpets. :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flipswitch posted:

https://s.orbis.zone/a5wp
You can tweak it further easily, engineer up the FSD or whatever, but this is more or less what I used.

position your cargo hatch closer to the mining fragments to get the most out of those limpets and you shouldn't have any issues tbh.

Good poo poo. I’ll probably work on this next. I did one more outing with a different setup and better about 92M in around an hour just now AND it got me to Elite trader so that was productive. Next up is learning how to ignore poo poo I don’t want my collectors to pick up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dick Trauma posted:

I see now that the thrusters appear to control that mass limit. I got everything equipped, found the nearest overlapping mining spot, launched my ship bound for glory and... realized I'd forgotten to buy limpets. :smith:

Lmao look at this smooth brained idiot, this absolute buffoon, who could possibly be dumb enough to leave without remembering to buy limpets? I am opening the Navigation Panel for unrelated reasons I assure you.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Good poo poo. I’ll probably work on this next. I did one more outing with a different setup and better about 92M in around an hour just now AND it got me to Elite trader so that was productive. Next up is learning how to ignore poo poo I don’t want my collectors to pick up.
That's on the left panel, under Contacts, scroll down onto the fragments, then go right on the fragment and you'll see it. :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It was an interesting experiment, but a failed one. I used the tool to find the closest double painite hotspot (Col 285 Sector WP-E c12-17) and flew out there. I scanned the rings and there were only two hotspots, and neither was painite. There were however about 20 carriers. I checked the tool and flew another six jumps to the next one. (HIP 74258)

There were even more carriers, but this time the planet's rings did have two overlapping painite hotspots so I flew right into the thick of where they met. I began sending prospector limpets out to the closest rocks. Each time I got the message that the limpet failed, but then I saw it shoot out and do its job anyway. The mysteries of ED. I scanned fifteen asteroids, and not only did most have no painite, but none had more than 6%.

So... it was neat to get a look at this technique, but I don't think it's for me.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

It was an interesting experiment, but a failed one. I used the tool to find the closest double painite hotspot (Col 285 Sector WP-E c12-17) and flew out there. I scanned the rings and there were only two hotspots, and neither was painite. There were however about 20 carriers. I checked the tool and flew another six jumps to the next one. (HIP 74258)

There were even more carriers, but this time the planet's rings did have two overlapping painite hotspots so I flew right into the thick of where they met. I began sending prospector limpets out to the closest rocks. Each time I got the message that the limpet failed, but then I saw it shoot out and do its job anyway. The mysteries of ED. I scanned fifteen asteroids, and not only did most have no painite, but none had more than 6%.

So... it was neat to get a look at this technique, but I don't think it's for me.

The first system you must not have scanned the right ring, there are sometimes A and B rings (inner and outer) at the same planet, which might have caused problems.

When you fire a prospector limpet the previous one dies, because a 1A controller can only handle one limpet, which is why you were getting those audio prompts.

Bad luck with the asteroids though, that's a shame. 15 isn't a very big sample size though, but it's perfectly understandable if you don't want to carry on.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah that's fair. It's not an exciting way to make money but it is pretty chill to put a podcast on or paint some miniatures or whatever.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The worry is if you don't like combat and don't like mining you're running out of options! Probably try Road to Riches if you want cash then.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

You did open your cargo hold so your limpets could drop poo poo in? Other bottleneck I ran into is the refinery getting clogged with minerals.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

It is possible to turn off the prospector limpet failed audio prompt in the settings.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't have a lot of time to play games so exploring is probably best for me. Do a few jumps, scan a few systems, log off. I'm often up in the middle of the night so it I can chip away at it. And I don't have much need for money because I'm super casual and have no significant goals. It was the same in EVE, where most people seemed to work very hard to rake in absurd amounts of credits, and experienced something very different from me poking about in my little mining ship or doing missions in one of the low end vessels. Certainly took the sting out of getting constantly blown up by griefers.

EDIT:

On the topic of mining... audio from Venus including sounds of the lander drilling into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Ife6iBdsU&t=185s

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 9, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The "prospector limpet failed" message is you reaching the limit of prospector limpets for your controller so the oldest one self-destructs.

:frontear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:laffo:

:member: when ship transfers were going to be free and instant? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

It is possible to turn off the prospector limpet failed audio prompt in the settings.

I didn't try but give these settings a go: