Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What the gently caress is up with Turk-aligned air defenses ill-advisedly whoopsieing Russian aircraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

What the gently caress is up with Turk-aligned air defenses ill-advisedly whoopsieing Russian aircraft

when a turkish f16 shot down a russian jet it wasn't a whoopsie, they did it intentionally

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Fuligin posted:

are there any good sites/outlets in english to try and track this? im assuming not and my best bet is to continue trawling through twitter

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

also curious about this, have been trying to follow it since the war nerd episode with the journalist in stepanakert

From the Armenia-based side, these accounts post / write about it in English:

https://twitter.com/joshuakucera
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer
https://twitter.com/MejlumyanAni

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The SOAD tracks and music video especially are a little dissonant feeling because on one hand while naturally they would support Armenia in what they would view is a war of survival against aggression, hearing them sing anything in favor of military and patriotism is just so strange

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Maximo Roboto posted:

The SOAD tracks and music video especially are a little dissonant feeling because on one hand while naturally they would support Armenia in what they would view is a war of survival against aggression, hearing them sing anything in favor of military and patriotism is just so strange

nationalism is a terminal brain disease unfortunately

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

when a turkish f16 shot down a russian jet it wasn't a whoopsie, they did it intentionally

Yeah, this one might be an accident, but purely from the perspective of Turkey, shooting down a Russian aircraft here or there is probably in their best interest, mostly as a "yeah, that's something we can do, don't think you can act with impunity against us", even if this particular incident might end up turbofucking the Azeris.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

Yeah it's very dissonant especially considering Serj's entire work in the band and solo but I guess a defensive war of a small country is easier to defend than american imperialism?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Some of the peeps I've been following on twitter for various random reasons and who happen to be Armenian diaspora are starting to sound like Goebbels circa 1944

e: shouldn't make fun of them as a guy who's in the luxurious situation of not having friends and / or relatives suffering and dying in a lost war

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
genocidal or totalan kreig

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

Yeah it's very dissonant especially considering Serj's entire work in the band and solo but I guess a defensive war of a small country is easier to defend than american imperialism?

It's pitiful bc it's a proxy war imo

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

Some of the peeps I've been following on twitter for various random reasons and who happen to be Armenian diaspora are starting to sound like Goebbels circa 1944

e: shouldn't make fun of them as a guy who's in the luxurious situation of not having friends and / or relatives suffering and dying in a lost war

My boss is from Karabakh, and from basically day 2 he has been saying they the Armenians will be militarily defeated. A lot of Armenians do believe in the magical ability of their forces unfortunately, but its not like they could've done anything differently.

https://twitter.com/cavidaga/status/1325911564365524992

The Russians are hanging the Armenians out to dry, if this didn't get them, nothing will

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

The only people who I've felt like making fun of are the Americans who went over, got cold feet, and are now told they cannot leave the country and must report to conscription ... I'm like, what did you expect??? Take a picture and then go home?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

I mean after beating the JV Armenian army so decisively, there’s a legitimate concern they could keep going into Armenia proper and wipe out the whole country. They’re facing an existential threat, even Azerbaijan taking a strip of land to reconnect to Nakhchivan and cut Armenia off from Iran would be crippling.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

uninterrupted posted:

I mean after beating the JV Armenian army so decisively, there’s a legitimate concern they could keep going into Armenia proper and wipe out the whole country. They’re facing an existential threat, even Azerbaijan taking a strip of land to reconnect to Nakhchivan and cut Armenia off from Iran would be crippling.

really think Russia would draw the line there tbh

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Ardennes posted:

A part of it as well is that the Soviets simply didn't want to overly favor a particular ethnic group in the region, and the Central Committee of the Azerbaijani SSR responsibility was continuity of oil production not ethnic partisanship (remember there was a bunch of Armenians in Baku working for the oil industry as well). Obviously, it was a compromise that didn't satisfy many.

Also, areas around Karabakh weren't necessarily only Azerbaijani and you had a both Kurds and Armenians in certain districts. If anything Azerbaijan has already conquered the area that was undoubtably entirely Azerbaijani in the first place, and ironically weakning the justiciation for the continued conflict.

The purpose of Soviet policy was to integrate ethnic groups into one soviet people over time

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Pashinyan posted this:
https://www.facebook.com/nikol.pashinyan/posts/2807204759599901

quote:

Dear compatriots, sisters and brothers. I personally made a very hard decision for me and all of us.

I have signed a statement on the termination of the Karabakh war with Russian and Azerbaijani presidents from 01.00 pm. The text of the statement that has already been published is unbelievably painful for me and our people.

I made that decision as a result of a deep analysis of the military situation and appreciation of the people who have the best possession of the situation. Also based on the belief that this is the best solution in the situation created. I'll write a message about it in the coming days.

It's not a victory, but there's no defeat until you know yourself. We will never know ourselves and this should be the start of our national unity, rebirth era.
We need to analyze our years of independence to plan our future and not repeat the mistakes of the past.I kneel down to all our victims. I bow down to all our soldiers, killers, generals, volunteers who protected and protected their homeland with their lives. They have saved Artsakh by their personalities.

We fought till the end. And we will win. Artsakh is standing.

Long live Armenia. Long live Artsakh.

I haven't been able to see the text of the statement he refers to yet

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://t.me/RadarARM/10807

The terms as announced by Radio Armenia. Ran it through Google Translate.

quote:

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT OF RUSSIA, THE PRIME MINISTER OF ARMENIA AND THE PRESIDENT OF AZERBAIJAN

We, the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Heydari Aliyev, the Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol V. Pashinyan and Russian President Vladimir V. We announce the following to Putin

1. Announces a complete ceasefire in all types of hostilities in the Karabakh conflict zone, starting from November 10, 00.00, according to Moscow time. The Republic of Azerbaijan and the Republic of Armenia, later parties, remain in their occupied positions.

2. The Aghdam region and the territories controlled by the Armenian side in the Kazakh region will be returned to Azerbaijan by November 20.

3. Along with the Line of Contact in Nagorno Karabakh and in the Lachinch Corridor, Russian peacekeeping forces of 1960 troops, firearms, 90 armored vehicles and 380 vehicles and special equipment are established.

4. The Russian peacekeeping troops are deployed in parallel with the withdrawal of the Armenian forces. The peacekeepers remain for five years, with the possibility of automatic extension for the next five years, unless the parties announce six months in advance that they will cease to apply this provision.

5. A ceasefire center shall be established for the implementation of agreements between the parties for efficiency and control.

6. Armenia returns Kelbajar to Azerbaijan by November 15, and the Lachin region by December 1, leaving a 5 km wide corridor that will provide a connection between Armenia but will not touch Shushi. According to the parties, a new road through Lachin will be built in the next three years, which will connect Stepanakert with Armenia, for the further deployment of peacekeepers to control that road.

7. Internally Displaced Persons and Refugees Return to Nagorno-Karabakh and Adjacent Areas Under the Control of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees

8. Prisoners of war are exchanged and other detainees are exchanged

9. All economic and transport connections in the region are unblocked. Armenia provides transport links between the western regions of Azerbaijan and the Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic. This transport connection is supervised by the RF FSB border service. According to the parties, a transport route will be built to connect Nakhichevan and the western regions of Azerbaijan.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

OhFunny posted:

https://t.me/RadarARM/10807

The terms as announced by Radio Armenia. Ran it through Google Translate.

Welp. There I was thinking this was over. Seems like NKR is now in rebellion against central gov.

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1325923938329911304

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

Welp. There I was thinking this was over. Seems like NKR is now in rebellion against central gov.

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1325923938329911304

Nah. Even Arayik knows the war is lost.

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1325929675424739334?s=19

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1325932385792380928?s=19

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well poo poo

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1325927261451792387

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmGYZK5_vzI

Yikes

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wonder who these mutinying Armenian soldiers are who think that they can totally still turn this around, ie what were they doing in the war up until now where apparently they didn't have the whole total enemy superiority problem driven home to them

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Thank god, i always hated that guy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

not sure whats going on but looks fun

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

nationalism is really dumb man

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

nationalism is really dumb man

rioting so i can die by drone

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the one thing i learned from this war is that unless anti-drone capabilities really step up, drones are going to dominate infantry in any conventional war.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1325939765951205378

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dreylad posted:

the one thing i learned from this war is that unless anti-drone capabilities really step up, drones are going to dominate infantry in any conventional war.

Well if you are a country without well-integrated air-defense or at least some fighters, it will be bad.

Armenia's problem is they had no way to contest Azerbaijan's airspace in any offense sense because all they had were a handful of CAS aircraft and while they had S-300 systems, they didn't really back them up with close in air defense which left them vulnerable. At that point Azerbaijan with heavy Turkish assistance could pick the Armenians apart piece by piece.

If Armenia had at least some multi-role fighters it might have been a much more even fight.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Well if you are a country without well-integrated air-defense or at least some fighters, it will be bad.

Armenia's problem is they had no way to contest Azerbaijan's airspace in any offense sense because all they had were a handful of CAS aircraft and while they had S-300 systems, they didn't really back them up with close in air defense which left them vulnerable. At that point Azerbaijan with heavy Turkish assistance could pick the Armenians apart piece by piece.

If Armenia had at least some multi-role fighters it might have been a much more even fight.

Yeah but then you always kinda have to ask where would they have gotten the money, or what other thing should they have cut instead to free the funds.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah but then you always kinda have to ask where would they have gotten the money, or what other thing should they have cut instead to free the funds.

Obviously, they couldn't that's the issue since Armenia doesn't have the cash to spend like Azerbaijan not with Turkish assistance. They were just screwed from the beginning.

That said, Azerbaijan has a bit of a quandary at this point since while they won the conventional war. It is also unclear if they actually want to get bogged down in urban and mountain fighting to clear out the rest of the Armenian forces. As the conflict becomes more asymmetric, it may get more tricky for Azerbaijan since there won't be clear land targets to hit while their ground forces increasingly become overstretched.

Also, Pashinyan is screwed and they are lynch mobs going around Yerevan looking for him.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
it's all fun and games drone bombing everything up until you win and it's time to hold your conquered territory. ask the us!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

Also, Pashinyan is screwed and they are lynch mobs going around Yerevan looking for him.
uh oh

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

ur in my world now posted:

it's all fun and games drone bombing everything up until you win and it's time to hold your conquered territory. ask the us!

ah this is solved by simply depopulating the area.

“When there's a person, there's a problem. When there's no person, there's no problem.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Obviously, they couldn't that's the issue since Armenia doesn't have the cash to spend like Azerbaijan not with Turkish assistance. They were just screwed from the beginning.

That said, Azerbaijan has a bit of a quandary at this point since while they won the conventional war. It is also unclear if they actually want to get bogged down in urban and mountain fighting to clear out the rest of the Armenian forces. As the conflict becomes more asymmetric, it may get more tricky for Azerbaijan since there won't be clear land targets to hit while their ground forces increasingly become overstretched.

How bad is the peace settlement? Getting to keep Stepankert + a corridor and having the package guaranteed by the Russians seems fairly good to my ignorant rear end?

There's totally normal Armenian US / European diaspora guys I've been following forever on twitter for their cool day jobs or whatever that are currently absolutely foaming at the mouth and calling for Pashinyan's literal head. If the Russians don't whisk him out on a chopper idk how he survives this.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
for a crowd that argumentative i'm surprised they're only surrounding the car, preventing it from leaving, for whatever reason instead of tipping it over. shows discipline.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

aphid_licker posted:

How bad is the peace settlement? Getting to keep Stepankert + a corridor and having the package guaranteed by the Russians seems fairly good to my ignorant rear end?

There's totally normal Armenian US / European diaspora guys I've been following forever on twitter for their cool day jobs or whatever that are currently absolutely foaming at the mouth and calling for Pashinyan's literal head. If the Russians don't whisk him out on a chopper idk how he survives this.

Btw, I think the corridor is only a "virtual one" ie they have a right to cross it but it will be Azerbaijani land by yeah they would have to give up everything including most of the original autonomous oblast itself and I think Shusha. It isn't really a durable peace.

Also, Pashinyan was the leader of Armenia's recent half-way color revolution, a big part of what is going on is Putin has been looking for a way to get rid of him.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

aphid_licker posted:

It's better than they could hope for given the situation on the ground, but it's still a deeply bitter pill to swallow. They aren't even keeping all of the oblast. And Shushi is probably gonna be carbomb city for the rest of our lives once Azeri's start moving in. Alot of Armenians would rather give up Stepanakert than Shushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Pashinyan just called into this stream and is speaking.

aphid_licker posted:

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1325934622384005127?s=20

A rough map of settlement.