Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It's like they tell you when you show up to a protest organized by people of color as a white person: loving listen to people about what kind of help they want from you before you open your mouth and say something that is perhaps well intentioned but can actually hurt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Sagebrush posted:

I don't begrudge her prodding him to buy new clothes one bit, but it sounds like he asked for a video game...and games don't cost $500. She could have gotten him the $60 game and $400 in clothes gift cards and then it wouldn't even be passive-aggressive. He would probably still lose his mind though.

DIPAC baby

From the sounds of it, he's been wearing the same clothes since he met her. Which means that most of his wardrobe needs replacing, because unless you're taking particular care of it (which "5 days in the same hole-y shirt" and "has gone out in public in pants that expose his underwear" does not sound like), clothes generally don't last a decade without starting to fall apart.

Especially cheap mass-produced stuff like t-shirts.

And replacing a whole wardrobe of clothes all at once usually does cost around $500, if you're just looking at Walmart-tier stuff and not shopping a higher end bougie brand like Frank & Oak.

He also has probably either been coasting at college or university (where they generally won't care what you wear as long as you're clothed) or he's been depending on her to pay the bills, because that lack of care about his appearance or the social acceptability of what he's wearing (you're not supposed to wear clothes that have gaping holes that expose your underwear, in public) isn't likely to transform into a sudden ability to conform to a dress code or schedule in the workplace.

Either way, she should dump him and escape. She deserves better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Scaevolus posted:

She could have at least filed a complaint with the Department of Labor

I don't understand......how do you get social media likes that way?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

sephiRoth IRA posted:

You're absolutely right that the US sucks with regards to workers rights, but here the execution was poor and the niece ruined a bunch of livelihoods. Maybe the nineteen year old independently wealthy savior of the downtrodden could have thought for a moment before acting.

Or should we just count these jobless people as a necessary evil?

The problem there is that:

a. The more people use "We need the money" as an excuse to not bother upholding their rights, the more businesses will treat labor laws as just a suggestion.

b. Getting the law involved may not have led to a much better outcome than going to social media.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah just start a Union is kind of a hilarious suggestion that shows you might be a bit out of touch

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Cockmaster posted:

The problem there is that:

a. The more people use "We need the money" as an excuse to not bother upholding their rights, the more businesses will treat labor laws as just a suggestion.

b. Getting the law involved may not have led to a much better outcome than going to social media.

Victim-blaming is super cool.

Send_Ninjas
Oct 10, 2006
Start a union so that they can all lose their jobs instead of just a few people.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
AITA for telling my SIL to pay to come over?

quote:

So some context. We live near both sides of the family. My sister in law, is over 25 and single, likes to come over ALL THE TIME. Asks us for money (dosen't work, on welfare) or a ride (doesn't own a car) because we live blocks away from her. She has two cats and rents a basement and cannot afford anything because she is unable to budget. It is almost a daily basis that we are feeding her ontop of our children then takes off afterwards. We asked her to help out in return by babysitting or something else but she refuses saying that she is 'too busy'. Busy doing what we are never told.

So finally I told her today that if she wants to come over, there is a ten dollar cover charge for food, taxi services etc. She flipped out on us, calling us ungrateful, selfish and general unkind things. My wife and her parents are supportive of this since this was an idea suggested by them. But since going back all she has done is cry on Facebook and accuse us, mostly me, of not helping out family members in need.

So AITA for expecting some compensation for constantly feeding, driving and helping someone who refuses to do anything for us?

Here's some good petty content

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Victim-blaming is super cool.

Your victim blaming, like that’s literally what your doing

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
"Ungrateful" and "selfish" for... not continuing to help someone who never helps?

Let me guess, she thinks she's owed these things because she's family and zero other reasons

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The gift card was a last ditch effort to give him a chance to change and save the relationship.

If he was thankful and bought adult clothes without holes in them he’d have a chance. Instead he freaked out because he didn’t get his bideo game.

Anyone willing to wear the same shirt 5 days in a row probably doesn’t shower and so I’m sure the shirt smelt terrible. Along with the bed, couch and computer chair he sits in.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your victim blaming, like that’s literally what your doing

The OP in this situation is the aunt who lost her job, who is now getting static from the niece because she's not saying the niece did a great amazing thing.

The niece has support to rely on. She is not the victim here. The people who are now jobless with mouths to feed are the victims. Saying that they are responsible for business being predatory is an insane take. You people are insane :psyduck:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

The OP in this situation is the aunt who lost her job, who is now getting static from the niece because she's not saying the niece did a great amazing thing.

The niece has support to rely on. She is not the victim here. The people who are now jobless with mouths to feed are the victims. Saying that they are responsible for business being predatory is an insane take. You people are insane :psyduck:

Yweah you literally have no idea how this works please stop talking your embarrassing yourself.

If you make any attempt you will potentially lose your job that’s how this works. Blaming the victims instead of the one that did the thing is actively counterproductive

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yweah you literally have no idea how this works please stop talking your embarrassing yourself.

If you make any attempt you will potentially lose your job that’s how this works. Blaming the victims instead of the one that did the thing is actively counterproductive

So legitimately what happens to these workers that get laid off and have no other recourse? I mean this genuinely. What does this lady do with no jobs and no ability to fight this retaliation from the company?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Saying that they are responsible for business being predatory is an insane take.
Who said this? People are saying that the predatory business takes advantage of their bad situation and people should still report the business because it's the only way things improve. That's not blaming them for their understandable inaction.

This is a very common ethical dilemma. X continually harms victims but the individual victims lack the power or means to do something or don't feel safe doing for any number of reasons. One victim (or sometimes bystander) decides to come forward and blow the whistle. It's perfectly understandable that the other victims didn't come forward, it may even be understandable that they don't support the whistleblower because they are hurt by the collateral fallout, but not reporting it allows X to continue harming more victims.

You can support and feel empathy for the other victims who didn't speak out because they couldn't while still feeling that whistleblowing is the right ethical choice. Some people might feel that what the right choice is depends on whether the whistleblower is also a victim, or the right kind of victim, or maybe it depends on what the harm is and some calculus of harms and expected redress. That's a complex discussion but no position along the spectrum is inherently victim blaming, and the post you quoted did not blame the victims.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
There's a difference between what is morally right to do, and what is tactically right to do. Negotiating the difference between them is the challenge.

"This business is (exceptionally and illegally) exploiting its workers; should I do something?" is the moral question.

"This business is (exceptionally and illegally) exploiting its workers; what can I do, and what will be the results?" is the tactical question.

Martyrdom is only useful for propaganda value, or if you can use it as a moral positional good.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The pregnant woman who just lost her job and health insurance is probably happy someone finally spoke up for her.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cobalt-60 posted:

There's a difference between what is morally right to do, and what is tactically right to do.

Yeah, the difference is that as a worker, the first one never matters and you always go for the money, because capital won a hundred years ago

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I don't think taking it to social media without a lawyer behind it is the right move. If all she did was make a report to the DOL then I think she'd be in the right but putting it all over Instagram does nothing to the business while maximizing harm to the employees and also does not have the same legal protections for workers as a wage and labor complaint. Her aunt is getting hung out to dry because of this.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CharlestheHammer posted:

Chuck, I think you need to stop here and specifically define the person/people you mean by "the victim" in this circumstance, because it looks to me a lot like you're deeply misreading what other people are saying.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xarbala posted:

Okay Chabalubrioxethorsif.

Whoa thanks! :tipshat:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA for saying "I just hope that you are proud of yourself." to my niece when I lost my job after she reported the company I worked for?

YTA and also I hope you eat a soup can when you try to cross your next picket line, scab.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That seems a bit excessive, if anyone’s the rear end in a top hat it’s OP’s company.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The niece can regain her honor by [parody, redacted, in minecraft] the company headquarters

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Organic Lube User posted:

YTA and also I hope you eat a soup can when you try to cross your next picket line, scab.

Jimmy Hoffa has entered the chat.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Poor exploited laborers are not the rear end in a top hat in this situation, the gently caress is wrong with you?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

GORDON posted:

Jimmy Hoffa has entered the chat.

LOL I heard he was buried under a building but I didn't realize it was his mom's basement.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Look, the difficulty of collective action is an intractable problem and all that, but it sure sounds like the company fired the OP in retaliation for her niece's whistleblowing (incompetent though it may have been). That's blatant enough to maybe matter in the US even.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
To get anywhere, OP would still have to talk to a labor lawyer about her case, maybe even pro bono.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for inviting a guy friend to try an upscale restaurant with me because my boyfriend will only eat fine dining if I’m the one paying?

quote:

My boyfriend Jake and I have been dating for a year. He comes from a wealthy family while I don’t, and he is very particular about money. Early in our relationship he told me that we shouldn’t give each other gifts that cost over $50 and he doesn’t like dining in expensive restaurants because he says he doesn’t want our relationship to be based on material things and we should focus on saving for the future. I easily agreed because I’m not with him to be given expensive gifts or be wined and dined daily, and I thought it was a great that he wanted to save for the future.

What I didn’t expect is that he would never even ask me to have dinner in a nice restaurant. It was either fast food, a local place (we always split the bill) or for special celebrations he would cook for me himself and we’d have a meal in his apartment. There’s nothing wrong with that, but even just on special occasions, I wish we could go somewhere nice. I get that fine dining is something Jake is used to because of his family, but it’s not the norm for me so of course I’m excited to try an upscale restaurant once in a while. He tells me that they’re just overpriced and serve so little food anyway, and the only times he has agreed to go with me are the times when I told him that I would foot the bill for both of us.

I had a tough week at work last week and I really wanted to treat myself this weekend, so when I learned that an upscale restaurant I’ve wanted to try just re-opened, I thought it was a great idea to have dinner there. I’m not swimming in money right now because of unexpected expenses due to the pandemic, so I’m not that excited to be paying for two since I know that Jake wouldn’t go if he had to pay for himself much less both of us. So I asked my friend Tom, who I know also wants to try that restaurant, if he wants to have dinner there and we can go Dutch. He said yes.

When I told Jake that I was going to have dinner at that restaurant with Tom, he got angry and said I should’ve asked him. I told him that I had no reason to believe that he would have a different answer for me because I’ve asked him to eat at nice restaurants six times in the past and he always says no. The two times he has said yes were after I assured him that I would pay for both of us, and I don’t want to pay for two right now. He told me that if I think $150 is too expensive to spend at a restaurant, then why do I think that it’s alright to spend $75. He says I should just save that money anyway.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Beachcomber posted:

*Googles* Hah, I would have been right.

R for use the right hand, L for use the left hand, S for switch hitter.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA - My GF told an untrue story to her friends about me that made me out to be a creepy weirdo and she thinks i'm the one at fault over my reaction.

quote:

So on Saturday night we're having a zoom call with a bunch of friends. These are people that we both went to school with, and are friends with, but they are more her 'circle' of friends than they are mine.

Everyone is drinking and playing games and stuff and then after about 2 hours i'm kinda done with it so i sneak off down the hall to my office.

After about an hour, and her finishing off a bottle of wine, I hear her say "...Well, Paegan888 once secretly recorded a video of me when i wasn't looking and sent it to all his nerd friends that he plays video games with".

This story is 100% not true. This did *not* happen.

I hear her friends react with "ew, that's gross" and similar things, as they have all assumed the worst from this overly vague (untrue) story.

I immediately call out down the hallway "well that didn't happen" and she kind of brushes this off.

I decided not to get angry and start an argument in front of her friends so I wait for the call to end and then confront her about it.

2 things then happen:
The *second* thing that happens is that she admits it was bullshit and it just 'came out wrong'.

The truth is that one time i was talking to some nerd friends online and they could hear her singing in the background, I told her about this at the time and she was a little bit embarrassed. No video, no secret recordings, just her voice in the background of a skype call.

But before she admitted this, her first reaction was "are you sure *you're* not being too sensitive about this?". She tries to shift the blame onto me for not wanting people believing an untrue story that makes me out to be a creep.

The whole next day she is trying to make up for it without actually taking ownership of what she did was wrong.

She makes lunch, makes me drinks, being overly affectionate and then in the evening she drops "i've had kind of a rubbish day today because you have been in a mood"

I was still pissed off, so yeah i was in a mood, but I hate the way she tries to shift things to me being the one at fault because i'm upset.

--------------------------------------

For some context, we are both 30, been together for 5 years and living together 2. The reason i'm raising this is for some outside opinions, because her reaction of trying to shift the blame, or forcibly change my perspective seems to be a reoccurring theme in our relationship.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh look, an off-hand last sentence that says "Get a divorce, idiot" and he's not even married.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

relationship: cancelled

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for laughing in my stepsisters face when she showed up at my place and asking to stay for a while?

quote:

This happened three weeks ago. I (21f) was home in my apartment that I share with my two closest friends when my stepsister (19f) showed up and asked if she could stay with us for a while. I laughed and told her no and closed the door. She ended up going to my dad and her moms house where she told them everything and they are pissed. They said it was reckless and cruel to turn her away without seeing that she was okay and my dad said he was disappointed in me. I told him I did not want her anywhere she could steal or break something that didn't belong to her. He told me she hasn't done that in years and I have no right to hold "childhood mistakes" against her. The last time she broke something that was mine was two years ago when I went to stay for Christmas and she went into my room while I was taking a shower and took my phone, then broke said phone. I pointed this out to him and he told me I can't stay mad at my 'sister'. I told him I'm not mad at my sister because I don't have one. Which he did not take great. Then my stepsister started bugging me with how mean it was that I laughed at her and how she's changed. I asked if she changed enough to want to apologize for the crap she did and maybe even pay me back. She said no and she doesn't need to. I told her then she hasn't really changed. She tried to get me to believe her by her just saying it.

All three are currently muted by me so I don't have to take their crap.

AITA?

Adding more details which I didn't make clear enough.

She has constantly stolen and broken things that were mine. She was a child when it started which you could dismiss. You could say that being 17 when the phone thing happened she was still a child, valid. But when it is a long pattern of the same behvaior. Of taking other peoples stuff without permission and then either through carelessness or force breaks stuff, it makes me not trust her or want her in my place, where I live with others, and rent, when her damage would cost me a lot more. She has never apologized or made any effort to make amends for it. So I have no reason to take her word for it.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA: Told Best Friend Not to Come to My Wedding

quote:

I’m getting married this month in a courthouse wedding due to Covid19. Just us and our two best friends as witnesses.

Since I’ve been with my fiance, my best friend ("Ali") has been acting differently. She started making passive-aggressive comments about him like “he's stealing you away from me”.

Ali's always been possessive of me, but I chalked it up to her having a hard time making friends and me being her only long-term friend. She's said she and I are “platonic soulmates” and that she wanted us to become old cat ladies together. I thought the last one was a joke in reference to her (supposed) asexuality and my shyness about dating in general.

She kept making rude remarks as it came closer to my wedding date. Yet she still went on about how she’d better be my witness as she’s my bff etc. so I sucked it up and kept her in. But two days ago, out of nowhere she went into a crying rage about how “It’s not fair! It should be me!”

I was shocked. Not just because of the meltdown but because she has ALWAYS insisted that she is asexual. So I’m like, “You?”

“Yes, me! It should be me there with you, not him!”

There it is. She wasn’t jealous that I’m getting married, she’s jealous that I’m not getting married to HER.

I was dumbfounded, as 1) I’m straight and 2) she said she was ASEXUAL. Now I get that she was in the closet, but to come out to me this way and then be angry at me for not reciprocating feelings I never knew she had and literally CAN’T reciprocate made me upset. Looking back, I understand she may have been trying to give me hints, but hints aren’t enough in a situation like this.

I told her I'm sorry but I'm engaged to be married next week. To try and keep her from resenting my fiance, I made it clear that it never would have worked out even if I was single. I’m just not gay. She gave me the cold-shoulder after that, and this carried over into yesterday.

Here’s where I may be TA: I told her that if she is so upset about the wedding I don’t want her there.

She FREAKS. Cries about how she can’t understand why I’m “doing this to her”. She says if I leave her out I’m saying we’re not friends anymore because she's gay. That’s NOT what I’m saying, because I do want be friends and her being gay isn't the problem-- it's her being jealous of my fiance; but she won’t believe that. Now she’s texting me about how I’m a horrible person, life is unfair, and she can’t have a single thing go right, etc.

If she accepted that I don’t have feelings for her and moved on I would have her in the wedding, of course, but she clearly hasn't. Now she’s demanding I change my mind and I’m standing firm and saying no. Am I TA?

Edit: I kept using 'asexual' because that was the word she used for it, but as some of you have pointed out, 'aromantic' fits the definition she had previously given me about herself (not into romance or relationships). Sorry about that.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ikanreed posted:

Oh look, an off-hand last sentence that says "Get a divorce, idiot" and he's not even married.

Sunk Cock Fallacy is a terrible thing.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Has to be the dumbest probe the thread has seen. What, we're you raised in a family of scabs or something?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also it's not a threat, it's wishing for harm. A threat means you're gonna be the one doing it

Anyway I agree, poo poo call, ref. poo poo call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A threat has to be specific. Like, what kind of soup would it be? The mods can’t answer that.