Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I remember seeing a behind the scenes thing for SPD way back in the day and seeing all the stuntmen for the unmorphed fights being Japanese dudes in wigs was something. Suddenly made me conscious of the fact that you rarely see their faces during unmoprhed fights.

I’m pretty positive there are a few female stunt actors these days (and even back in the day) but yeah, as far as I’m aware a vast majority of them are still men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Homora Gaykemi posted:

even when the footage was soft SD stuff Trini's Ranger form was obviously different from Kimberly's and it never occurred to me to wonder at all why that was when i was seven or whatever years old watching MMPR

i dunno, maybe kids are more astute now and would be more likely to notice, i figure there's enough discrepancies between the footage as it is that it's not any bigger a deal now than it was in the first Saban era and i'd personally prefer more female Ranger characters even if they're obviously genderswapped from their Sentai counterparts

I remember noticing it back when I was a kid. I ultimately decided that it was a sort of get serious moment. Trini normally has a skirt cause girl, but she's explicitly one of the better fighters. So when she went to do real fighting she'd lose it. Which amusingly worked well enough since the fighting part was Sentai footage.
Kids will explain away any discrepancy with ease.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
MMPR happened at that time when Shannon Miller started the US’s run of dominance on women’s gymnastics, and I used to assume the choice of naming the gymnast Kimberly was named after Miller’s predecessor/mentor Kim Zmeskal. So the fact that pink has a little extra flair on her costume that yellow didn’t never registered as unusual with me, and I was older than target demo.

Trini was portrayed as someone who would be a higher ranking martial artist than Zack and Billy, if not quite Jason or Tommy, so her not having a dainty skirt covering her butt wasn’t something I paid much attention to. All the easier to roundhouse your face off.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I also appreciate that not all the girls have to wear skirts. That just feels right to me.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty positive there are a few female stunt actors these days (and even back in the day) but yeah, as far as I’m aware a vast majority of them are still men.
This is on the Kamen Rider side of things, but Kamen Rider Marika from Gaim was significant because she was the first Kamen Rider to play as a main character AND as her own stunt/suit actor since the original Kamen Rider

IIRC Power Rangers was an anomaly because they hired primarily dancers, athletes, and martial artists who they wanted to be able to do most of their own stunts/fighting scenes. Since they were using primarily stock footage for the suited side of things, the early Power Rangers cast weren't in costume that often but a lot of them probably could've seamlessly done their own stunts and costume'd fight scenes too.

Craptacular! posted:

MMPR happened at that time when Shannon Miller started the US’s run of dominance on women’s gymnastics, and I used to assume the choice of naming the gymnast Kimberly was named after Miller’s predecessor/mentor Kim Zmeskal. So the fact that pink has a little extra flair on her costume that yellow didn’t never registered as unusual with me, and I was older than target demo.

Trini was portrayed as someone who would be a higher ranking martial artist than Zack and Billy, if not quite Jason or Tommy, so her not having a dainty skirt covering her butt wasn’t something I paid much attention to. All the easier to roundhouse your face off.
Trini was an outstanding and under-rated character in the original Power Rangers and just as a role-model in general. She was a jack of all trades, in that she could compete with Kimberly in gymnastics, she was tech savvy like Billy, she was outgoing and a "glue" to the group like Zach was and she could be a leader like Jason. She was never as good at any particular skill as the other cast was, but she was good enough at everything to easily fill the role of every member of the original cast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

This is on the Kamen Rider side of things, but Kamen Rider Marika from Gaim was significant because she was the first Kamen Rider to play as a main character AND as her own stunt/suit actor since the original Kamen Rider

Actually I believe Tackle from Stronger did her own stunt work as well.

Though on the Power Rangers side of things I’ve heard that Jason David Frank actually did do his own suit work a lot of the time (as the Green and White Rangers at least, not sure about his other forms).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 9, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

IIRC Power Rangers was an anomaly because they hired primarily dancers, athletes, and martial artists who they wanted to be able to do most of their own stunts/fighting scenes. Since they were using primarily stock footage for the suited side of things, the early Power Rangers cast weren't in costume that often but a lot of them probably could've seamlessly done their own stunts and costume'd fight scenes too.

I remember reading a comment frim the White Ninja Steel Ranger's actress that she only got to do her own fight stuff once or twice because I'm guessing the production schedule is so fast they didn't have time otherwise.

Also related, Trini was my favorite character in the Go Go Power Rangers run. Making her a military brat was a nice touch.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Dawgstar posted:

I remember reading a comment frim the White Ninja Steel Ranger's actress that she only got to do her own fight stuff once or twice because I'm guessing the production schedule is so fast they didn't have time otherwise.

Also related, Trini was my favorite character in the Go Go Power Rangers run. Making her a military brat was a nice touch.

She didn’t have a lot to work with in the recent movie but the character worked well there as well.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Trini is the best MMPR character, yeah

Burkion posted:

I also appreciate that not all the girls have to wear skirts. That just feels right to me.

This is a good point that I'd never really thought to articulate myself before, yeah. Moving away from reinforcing the "they're one of the girls, so they have to have a skirt" idea is good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Trini is the best MMPR character, yeah

This is a good point that I'd never really thought to articulate myself before, yeah. Moving away from reinforcing the "they're one of the girls, so they have to have a skirt" idea is good

In fact I believe the only series that ditched the whole skirt idea entirely was Dekaranger/SPD.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

That's how I rationalized the difference in uniforms when I watched PR as a kid. "Kimberly is the _girly_ one, so she's pink and gets a skirt."

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I started watching Chojin Sentai Jetman on Shout's website, and it ruled. I've learned that Jetman is considered The Best Sentai Series. Is it worth watching the other 79 Sentai seasons, or is it all downhill from here?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Takuan posted:

I started watching Chojin Sentai Jetman on Shout's website, and it ruled. I've learned that Jetman is considered The Best Sentai Series. Is it worth watching the other 79 Sentai seasons, or is it all downhill from here?

There’s only 44 currently and yes, a lot of them are decent enough.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
First, I want to shout out the Super Sentai Bros as a good podcast for Sentai.

https://supersentaibros.libsyn.com/

I'm FAR from an expert on Sentai, but from what I've watched with their podcast, I would say that Dairanger and Megaranger are also terrific seasons. I feel like Mega hasn't had a bad episode yet and we're about mid-season. Oh, Kaku, and Car are all solid seasons but only Carranger really got me and that's because it hits my "this is a good weird" buttons.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Jetman is one of the best of it's era, but you're going to find a lot of people who would dispute it being all-time best.

Sentai has it's phases. The direction for most of the past seven years or so has not been so good, but there were good shows in the 2000s. Shows older than Jetman are something of an acquired taste even to fans of old Power Rangers, as Jetman/Zyuranger really picked up production. That isn't to say there isn't enjoyable stuff in the old shows, but there's more filler since serialized tokusatsu on TV as a childrens thing was still kind of new. I enjoyed Liveman when I watched it, but specific episodes are so much loonier than anything on MMPR that the writers should have been tested for drugs, and the ending was forgotten about completely but ultimately was rather weak, with the final few minutes being laughably bad.

We have a thread in ADTRW that's usually front-paged about this sort of stuff. You might also enjoy certain seasons of Kamen Rider, a show from most of the same people as Sentai that has a few key differences, especially if you're looking for more modern HDTV-era stuff.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 10, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Takuan posted:

Every Sunday on Twitch, ShouTV's Twitch.tv channel marathons a random Sentai series if you want to get a feel for them

No, you don't really need to watch all of them at once, everyone's got their handful of favorites and there's a couple that are good entry-level points but other than that just pick the costumes you like best or a season of Power Rangers you really liked growing up and watch the Sentai equivalent to see what's changed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Jetman, Timeranger, Gobuster and Shinkenger are good. Gekiranger too.

Of course with Timeranger you miss out on Ransik...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Shinkenger is probably still the best "modern" sentai, with the possible exception of Kyoryuger or, depending on your tastes, Gobusters. Which is a real trick since both Shinkenger and Kyoryuger are extremely red-centric.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gokaiger's a fun time.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

Every Sunday on Twitch, ShouTV's Twitch.tv channel marathons a random Sentai series if you want to get a feel for them

No, you don't really need to watch all of them at once, everyone's got their handful of favorites and there's a couple that are good entry-level points but other than that just pick the costumes you like best or a season of Power Rangers you really liked growing up and watch the Sentai equivalent to see what's changed

This was kinda how I got started. Shout has a Toku channel on Pluto.tv. I turned it on for background noise while I worked from home and got sucked in to the Jetman episodes. I saw episodes from another series, where they were apparently ninja ranchers or something? Not like they ranched ninjas, but were ninjas who ranched. It wasn't as good.

My goal was to go through the TokuShoutsu offering chronologically. I'm on to Zyuranger now and it's... not as good. Though it is interesting seeing the original context of the original MMPR.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I enjoyed Maskman, but I'm not sure where it rates in the canon.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Gokaiger was my first and I branched off from there. I'd say it s good intro.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I will say that there are some slight spoilers for past seasons in there (specifically for Shinkenger, Jetman, and Boukenger, maybe some others as well) but it’s done in a way that you’d only recognize them as spoilers if you’d actually seen those seasons.

Gokaiger is better if you actually have context for the shows being tributed but it’s fine as a general intro to the franchise as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a whole string of great Sentai in the 80s that go for fully serious tones, more or less. Bioman is the first, Changeman, Flashman, Liveman, and Maskman. They get progressively more character/story heavy as it goes, though Maskman is more a metal hero series that happens to have four other people hanging out with the main character. Sometimes.

Then the tone gets weird for a bit, which is still felt with Jetman's beginning where the first dozen or so monsters are straight out of a parody series.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm currently on episode 12 of Zyuranger, and I don't know if i'm gonna make it through the whole season. The Rangers(Sentais? what's the generic term for one of them anyway?)feel like side-characters in their own show, with the main character being whatever little kid is in trouble this week. Also the horror movie vibe Jetman had at times seems completely missing.

I'm asking all these questions because Jetman felt like a revelation to me. I always figured people were in to Sentai just for the robots and the monsters, and just begrudgingly put up with the rest, because there's nothing else in entertainment that scratches that kind of itch. But then Jetman was Actually Good and it made me think that all of Sentai was Actually Good(overall). But now Zyuranger is just as bad as I thought Sentai was, and I have no idea which one is normal and which one is the outlier.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jetman is a product of its time. It's more like those 80s Sentai I mentioned than any of its immediate contemporaries. There's more of a focus on soap drama between the leads but that was already building up to be a thing with Maskman.

ZyuRanger is one of the softest most kid friendly Sentai ever. If you can't get into child of the week plots, there's a reason I still think MMPR has merits over it. It is kind of an outlier itself, though all of the series that follow it are goofy to some extent. OhRanger calls back a bit to the 80s though, but that's followed by Carranger which is pure self parody and then Gingaman which most people agree that the flawed Lost Galaxy is better than.

GoGoV and TimeRanger are basically the last gasps of the kind of Sentai that Jetman was. After that things keep going younger and younger skewed, though some exceptions pop up like DekaRanger.

I'd really recommend going back to an older Sentai, from Bioman on. Bioman is 20 minute 80s action movies per episode with some fun villains and great action, but not a lot of plot. Hell of a last act villain in BioHunter Silva tho. Changeman's entire plot is a character revenge tale, which you only need to see the opening to know what I'm talking about, and its got one of the best finales of Sentai. Maskman is a very strong, great looking series about Mask One (red) fighting an underground kingdom that stole his girlfriend and getting into personal pitched battles with their royalty and strange monsters. Also some other jokers are there.

Flashman is a whole thing. Its got probably the worst looking suits around but goddamn, you want team based character drama.

Changeman has one of the most unique team compositions, with a white and pink Ranger, and one of them frequently shows drawn nudity because Japan. Also the monsters are ALL God tier in Changeman, evoking a 1980s horror vibe that few other match.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Zyuranger is good, just in a different way than Jetman was, indeed of the shows that Shout Factory has brought over I'd really say only Dairanger is outright bad

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So I decided to get back to watching Beast Morphers; I do appreciate that Ben & Betty are actually likable comic relief side characters which is pretty rare with Power Rangers.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just want to pipe up and say Gobusters is really good.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Thanks for all the information. It's really helped me make sense of it all. I think I'm gonna soldier through the ones on Shout, good and bad, then start alternating between recommended newer and older seasons.

As much as I've been complaining about it, Zyuranger isn't all bad. I'm digging the mythological theme for the monsters, and I think it's an interesting twist that their giant robots are independent, sentient beings. The Dora Sphinx episode(s) were great, and I just love how Bandora says "Pleprechaun."

Gotta admit I'm really disappointed in Griffozar. So far all he does is fight and sleep.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Takuan posted:

Gotta admit I'm really disappointed in Griffozar. So far all he does is fight and sleep.
He also fucks.

No joke

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Zyuranger may not be the best, but there's an episode with a clown that gives birth to golden soccer balls filled with a virus that makes people sneeze themselves to death, so at least there's that.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I apologize for the double post, but it's been like 5 days and I have a question:

Is Dairanger good?

I'm asking because I'm halfway through Zyuranger and it's bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Takuan posted:

I apologize for the double post, but it's been like 5 days and I have a question:

Is Dairanger good?

I definitely didn't like it when I watched it and ended up dropping it. Most characters are bland and forgettable, and then the sixth joins and he's intolerable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Takuan posted:

Is Dairanger good?

Might want to skip to

...Carranger if you want something silly, MegaRanger if you want something more normal

Takuan
May 6, 2007

looks like it's going to be a long next several seasons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Are you dedicated to watching every single one? That seems like a great way to burn out.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Are you dedicated to watching every single one? That seems like a great way to burn out.

At least the ones on the Shout website. I'm watching them while I work from home. It's either this, or watching the same Pluto.tv channels I've been watching since the start of the pandemic.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Takuan posted:

Is Dairanger good?

I had a good time with Dairanger, but just know the sixth has a Really bad debut arc, -and the ending is kind of infamous among sentai fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I like the dairanger suits the best of that era, myself.

Also isn't Megaranger some weird "Mid nineties future internet" bullshit?