Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i was born like that

Mr guy here is a majority stakeholder in the website “Popfindr”(NSQ: PFDR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Mr guy here is a majority stakeholder in the website “Popfindr”(NSQ: PFDR)

i actually have four PS5s preordered. fools!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Lobok posted:

Did the other Best Buy Canada goons get theirs yet? I got same day delivery yesterday so hopefully y'all did as well.
It shipped Wednesday and won't be here til Monday. It's sitting in my town right now, doing nothing.

edit: Never mind, literally five seconds after I submitted the post it went out for delivery. Should get it today :c00l:

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 13, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
anyone having any hardware issues? reading a lot of reports about LAN, external HDD's and rest mode causing hardware failures

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

History Comes Inside! posted:

A plastic disc spinning at hundreds of RPM is going to make a noise, so there’s no way it’s going to be ‘silent’. Some people do seem to have noisier drives than others.

It’s only going to spin up to install or to do the license check when you launch the game, it really doesn’t matter unless it sounds like a bag of tools being thrown down the stairs in which case the drive is probably hosed up in some way.

Phew. I loaded up Yakuza 0 today and I got worried. The only other "issue" my console has is it makes a ticking sounds when it cold boots but stops after like 5 seconds.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Who makes the chips for the new PS5? Like, which foundry? TSMC for everything, or...?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oop. Looks like it's time to invest in an external cuz my PS4 library just about filled the thing up.

Time to clear away the pile I guess...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
poo poo is getting modded already

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, the side panels apparently take paint very easily

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

that's hot

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Primworm posted:

Hopefully your package wasn't involved in the 29 vehicle accident yesterday on the interstate. I saw at least one UPS truck in the pile, my heart dropped when i saw that on the news yesterday.

Back in the day my launch day PS4 showed up DOA so I had to ship it back to Sony. When the new unit was on its way about two weeks later, the train it was on derailed. It took another week to get it.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I haven't received a shipping email from Costco and my credit card transaction is still pending. Not feeling real confident about this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

popfindr said local target had 33 units. i arrived at 6:30am in the rain with a wicked pinched nerve in my neck, there were like 50 people openly standing in monsoon level rainstorm in sweatpants waiting to get into the store. i stepped out of the car, felt the ferocity of the rain for about 10 seconds, immediately stepped back in and drove away. there were like 6 accidents on the freeway on the way back. i am defeated!

happy to be home, cozy, and not dead. this console can wait :)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I hate that the middle black piece of the console is shiny black. It looks cheap. Why do companies keep making electronics in shiny black plastic. It hasn't looked good since the 90s! Give me some matte black gawdamnit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Volte posted:

It shipped Wednesday and won't be here til Monday. It's sitting in my town right now, doing nothing.

edit: Never mind, literally five seconds after I submitted the post it went out for delivery. Should get it today :c00l:

Sweet. Godspeed, delivery person!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

BonoMan posted:

I hate that the middle black piece of the console is shiny black. It looks cheap. Why do companies keep making electronics in shiny black plastic. It hasn't looked good since the 90s! Give me some matte black gawdamnit

The answer is that matte black will be an option for the PS5 Pro

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

BonoMan posted:

It's cheaper to polish a tool to create a gloss finish than it is to spark the tooling to give a rougher matt finish.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My order got processed finally

At least I dodged the yodel bullet but gently caress you GAME, give me my £11.99 back

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lobok posted:

Did the other Best Buy Canada goons get theirs yet? I got same day delivery yesterday so hopefully y'all did as well.

I got an order in yesterday morning, it’s still “in progress.”

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Called it the moment that tear down video was posted.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

illcendiary posted:

The answer is that matte black will be an option for the PS5 Pro

I'd be unsurprised if there was a a black or black and white ps5 next year, though they might leave that for branded tie ins to releases - Horizon/God of War etc.

PS 5 Pro based on the timeline of the ps4 pro would be what, 2023? Bigger SSD (1.5/2 tb?) some processor/graphics improvements maybe more ram? This is years off so baseless speculation.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I used the purple monster preset for my DS character, made the background Royalty, and named him Pierre Delecto

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Right now the loudest technical issues seem to be centered around rest mode and using external drives. Not sure if they're just amplifying what happened to Gerstman or if more users are experiencing it.

I've been using rest mode fine so far, but the reports have generally been with Miles Morales which I won't be able to try until this weekend.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

History Comes Inside! posted:

My order got processed finally

At least I dodged the yodel bullet but gently caress you GAME, give me my £11.99 back

Trying to send a 6+ kilo parcel without insurance on royal mail turns out to be £16 (note, i've seen conflicting reports on weight, suspect that's box+everything versus the console itself). £26 with insurance. Obviously they'll have volume discounts and prefered rates, but i'm not sure it's that big of a saving for them given how big/heavy this is.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Harlock posted:

Right now the loudest technical issues seem to be centered around rest mode and using external drives. Not sure if they're just amplifying what happened to Gerstman or if more users are experiencing it.

I've been using rest mode fine so far, but the reports have generally been with Miles Morales which I won't be able to try until this weekend.

There’s enough smoke about external drives that I’d pay attention to it - it also seems reasonable that the I/O tech is weird, proprietary, and new enough that there might be some bugs in the firmware when interfacing with a billion different drives. The rest seems like people mistaking correlation for cause.

So far my only complaints about the system are that the way the ui handles ps4/PS5 versions is completely stupid and unintuitive. I also question the motives of whoever designed the horizontal stand - why the gently caress would you not design this drat thing to “click in” and tell the user that it’s set right in a tactile way?

Otherwise, absolute beast of a system. Between this and my series X absolutely feel like this generation is off to a waaaaaaay stronger start than the last one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PST posted:

Trying to send a 6+ kilo parcel without insurance on royal mail turns out to be £16 (note, i've seen conflicting reports on weight, suspect that's box+everything versus the console itself). £26 with insurance. Obviously they'll have volume discounts and prefered rates, but i'm not sure it's that big of a saving for them given how big/heavy this is.

If I wanted free delivery or Royal Mail I’d have picked free delivery or Royal Mail at checkout and not paid £11.99 for guaranteed pre-12 courier delivery with a service provider that I trust.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

dutchbstrd posted:

Is there any major difference between bitstream Dolby or DTS?

Bitstream is usually what you want, it's uncompressed while the other options use lossy compression. But you can't send bitstream 5.1 or 7.1 over ARC, only stereo. Between Dolby and DTS I think you want DTS if your AVR can handle it, it's less compressed.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my ps5 just got delivered yay sony you rock.

have any of you played NBA 2k21 on it? how is it

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Lobok posted:

yep me and two friends of mine who also ordered through best buy all got ours today.

the adaptive triggers are so good that i can’t imagine future controllers, from any console manufacturer, NOT including them. it’s so good and makes so much sense for gaming. i love it

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Volte posted:

I'm in Edmonton and was part of the original pre-orders. Had expected delivery by end of day Nov 17, until early this morning when it changed to Nov 18. Yay.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lobok posted:

Nope. Curious where the Canada goons who are getting theirs are located. I’m in Alberta and the shipment didn’t even leave BC until 7pm yesterday so I was turbo screwed. I doubt it will be the Wednesday estimate but I give it a 1% chance of it actually coming today. If Best Buy had actually shipped it on Tuesday (it was a holiday Wednesday so I wouldn’t have gotten it anyway that day) I probably could have gotten it.

If you don’t live in BC or Ontario you’re always screwed on shipping.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^Toronto here so I'm lucky that way. Terrible housing prices, but fast deliveries!

Ummmm I just switched to Performance mode in Miles to see how different it looks from Fidelity and I don't think ray-tracing can hold a candle to this 60fps smoothness, holy hot drat. Pretty sure I'm never switching back.

punished milkman posted:

yep me and two friends of mine who also ordered through best buy all got ours today.

Amazing!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

my assassins creed odyssey saves are showing as ‘non-installed game or app’ or something both in the cloud and on my console, anyone tried it?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PST posted:

There's loads out there, how effective they are/reliable etc I have no idea, but if you look on amazon you should see a bunch.

What term am I not using that I can't find it?

What i'd love is a single cable that has USB-A on one end, and then the other end splits off to the three cords for the Move, Dualshock4, and USB-C for the Dualsense. I don't need a hub, I just want to eliminate cables

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Between this and my series X absolutely feel like this generation is off to a waaaaaaay stronger start than the last one.

Out of interest, which do you prefer so far?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when people say there are rest mode issues you just mean doing it in mid game right

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

MZ posted:

Out of interest, which do you prefer so far?

I’m not him, but I have both as well and fully agree.

As for which of the two is more impressive out the gate, there’s no comparison... PS5 is providing a next generation experience while Series X just feels like a really, really nice One X at the moment.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Miles Morales keeps hard-locking on me even after redownloading. Guess I'm waiting for a patch

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Having both, the Xbox just reminds me that I can be disappointed in the next fallout for $1 on gamepass PC. PS5 is an experience, it has a coolness to it, and it has gravity that makes you want to use it or talk about it. As mentioned I feel like I am doing something interesting and new on PS5 and not Xbox where I have so far been doing old poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Shammypants posted:

and it has gravity that makes you want to use it or talk about it.

...what