Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badass. Someone should send this to Microsoft and let ‘em know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Badass. Someone should send this to Microsoft and let ‘em know.

"Chris Roberts? I thought we fired that guy 2 decades ago, he's working on the new Halo?"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1327696837470404608

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Poor Gefreiter Relic, he's going to keep fighting till the bitter end isn't he? "What do you mean, the Soviets are at the Brandenburg Gate CI don't give a poo poo about us once we've laid out the cash on the non-existent jpegs? The Reichs-Rundfunk-Gesellschaft Chris Roberts said they'd been pushed back to the Vistula we'd be treated with the respect we deserve!!!!!"

Err yeah, about that "respect" thing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cynic Jester posted:

$321,696,969.69

Just when I thought I've seen it all. My bid has be Archer'ed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898069&userid=216910&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post509871187

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OAuViakOc

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2950

ITS RAFFLE TIME!
ENTRIES WILL END WHEN THIS COUNTDOWN HITS 0.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20201119T00&p0=24&msg=Star+Citizen+IAE+2950&font=slab

To enter:
- You must be a Platinum Account holder. For PMs.
- You must quote this post.

What's your guess on the funding tracker sheet at the end of IAE 2950?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
Current Pledge Amount
$317,425,743

GOOD LUCK FOLKS.
Grand Prize - A Humble (Steam Key) Copy of Cyberpunk 2077.
Consolation Prizes - 3 Humble Monthies.

$325,200,012

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixelate posted:

Ryan Archer mk2?

:reddit: So, I found the image they used for the Star Marine concept art... a little blatant, I think. Thoughts?

This is from like 2015

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

This is from like 2015

Yeah reddit just schooled me too

Here’s a hot take from 2015:

:reddit: posted:

Probably just a shoutout to influences or games the devs like, like others have said

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Roberts Space Industries Lore

Roberts Space Industries posted:

In the pantheon of enduring corporate entities, one would be hard pressed to find a company that has become as entwined with Humanity’s development as Roberts Space Industries. Whether sailing through the cosmos or walking down your average street, RSI’s contributions to our society are everywhere, but not many know the origin of this institution of innovation.

The Beginning
While most corporate endeavors begin with a dream and a single product, entrepreneur Chris Roberts’ dream was to create a culture that would foster creativity and innovation — one that would change with the times and continue to look to the future. His goal was nothing less than a company that would stay consistent and relevant in the marketplace regardless of whether it was next week or a thousand years down the line.

The great irony was that although the company became synonymous with a wide array of spaceships and terraforming, the ‘Space’ in Roberts Space Industries was an aspirational reflection of where Humanity could evolve to, rather than the company’s actual focus. The first product RSI released in 2043 was actually a hyper-efficient battery converter for ground-based civilian vehicles.

Officially formed in 2038, Roberts Space Industries’ founder, a young and enterprising inventor named Chris Roberts, established the core tenets of the company’s philosophy long before he began working on his first creation:

Learn from the past
Reach for the future
Fuel innovation
Cultivate talent
Always be relevant

The Earth of the 21st century was a vastly different world than we know today. Although Humanity had travelled to space, it was a rare event and so cost-prohibitive that it was only possible for a few of the various ruling provinces of the era. The truth was that Earth was reaching a critical mass of overpopulation. Numerous wars erupted across the planet as the populace faced food, water and energy shortages.

Roberts looked for innovators from a variety of disciplines to join his team in an attempt to alleviate some of issues of the day. Some of RSI’s initial products ranged from a compact water-purification system to an energy-efficient power network. There was even a small expansion into cricket farming.

Although his company found modest success in these endeavors, Roberts refused to be complacent and continued to seek out greater innovations. In 2061, while studying a recent crop of doctoral dissertations from a prestigious engineering school, he came across the work of Dr. Scott Childress, whose thesis envisioned exciting work in the field of more affordable engine systems for spacecraft. The prospect of making space travel more accessible reawakened a lifelong dream. Roberts quickly met with the fresh graduate and put together a team to help translate this dream into the real world. Although the process was not without its setbacks, in 2075 Roberts Space Industries unveiled their prototype Quantum Core Engine. Suddenly, space travel didn’t seem that fantastical anymore.

Building Worlds
The implications of this technology were immediately recognized around the world. Exploration missions were suddenly feasible, as piloted vessels could now push further into the solar system. Various states (called ‘countries’ at that time) that previously couldn’t afford space travel were suddenly able to embark on missions of their own as well.

Roberts knew that although making space more accessible was a giant leap forwards for our species, it still didn’t solve Earth’s teeming population, which was reaching a critical mass. He pulled together a dedicated team from RSI’s various subsidiaries to create their most ambitious technology yet: terraforming a planet. This scientific conundrum became Roberts’ obsession until he passed away in 2108.

Though terraforming remained elusive in Roberts’ life, the new CEO continued to practice his corporate philosophy of seeking out innovators and finally, though it would take two generations of team members and almost forty years, RSI unveiled a technological breakthrough on 2113:04:21 that would lay the groundwork for terraforming a world. With a potential solution in sight, governments of the world, corporations and scientific minds came together to create a global collective focused on terraforming Mars (which at the time was completely uninhabitable). Finally, there was hope of relieving Humanity’s desperate population problem.

This project lasted decades and faced an incalculable loss when an accident, known as the Mars Tragedy, caused the deaths of nearly five thousand early settlers. During the glacial pace of this project’s sprawling scope, the Chairman’s policy of project diversification yielded another spectacular achievement. Responding to issues faced by the terraforming division’s efforts to transport resources to Mars, RSI’s Astro Development Team created the Zeus, the first commercially available spacecraft.

With Roberts Space Industries now at the forefront of spacecraft and terraforming tech, the company had firmly bound itself with Humanity’s development. As decades turned into centuries, terraforming technology would continue to be refined and RSI would expand further into ship development. It seemed like the company was incapable of going anywhere but up. However it turned out that the biggest threat wouldn’t come in the form of alien wars or maintaining market relevance.

It would come in the form of Human nature.

The Dark Age
For many, the ascension of Ivar Messer to Prime Citizen was a welcome change. At the time, the UPE had well-documented scenarios where endless bureaucratic debate completely stalled the government’s ability to do anything, so cutting through the dialogue in a single direction wasn’t seen as particularly ominous.

Unfortunately, Ivar consolidated his power over the years and subtly removed any checks that could challenge him, making it difficult for most people of that time to realize exactly what was happening. As his son took over the title of Imperator, the Second Tevarin War provided a perfect opportunity to remind the public why they needed decisive leadership.

As the Messers became more and more ensconced in their position, RSI lost their military contracts to Aegis Dynamics, the manufacturer that created the weapons of war favored by Ivar Messer. Several of RSI’s divisions still worked closely with the scientific bureaus and terraforming oversight committees, but as a whole, the company converted into a primarily commercial and civilian corporation.

That wasn’t to say that RSI was immune from the Messers’ wrath. In 2757, the shocking death of Anthony Tanaka reverberated through the Empire. Although the event was never mentioned in any news cycles, footage of the twelve-year-old boy’s refusal to work and subsequent execution on a factory floor still made its way through underground activist channels.

RSI CEO Avel Gedima was one of the few prominent public figures who not only acknowledged the sad death, but ordered a complete evaluation of all RSI facilities to make sure that they were adhering to all health and safety standards. A few months later, Ulysses Messer X released ‘damning and incontrovertible evidence of corporate malfeasance’ to the NewsOrgs, claiming that Gedima had embezzled imperial finances for personal use. The case languished in the courts for years, but the constant barrage of ‘evidence’ forced Gedima to step down.

After the Fall
In the wake of the revolution that toppled the Messers, the Empire experienced a period of free fall. The newly installed Imperator Toi and the restored High Advocate and High Secretary were busy trying to ferret out the rotten elements of the government, while the various planets seemed to turn on each other. For awhile, accusations of having collaborated with the Messer became the weapon of choice. Some of these charges were legitimate, but the unscrupulous used the accusation to escape debts or finally resolve feuds with their enemies. While Aegis Dynamics felt the brunt of the people’s fury and were commonly cited as symbols of tyranny, they weren’t the only ones to suffer from these witch hunts.

As a company, RSI hadn’t exactly prospered under the Messer’s rule, but they had maintained their status as a prominent company. Several historians of the era asserted that while RSI didn’t actively promote the Messer agenda, they consistently failed to use their considerable influence to decry it.

In response to these allegations, RSI established the Future Foundation, a specific division of the company devoted to charitable foundations and grants, and announced that for the first time since the founding of the company they were going to add a new tenet to Chairman Roberts’ original list of corporate philosophies:

Stand for good

The Modern Age
From their civilian ships like the Aurora all the way up to cutting-edge military vessels like the Bengal carrier, Roberts Space Industries continues to be a constant force of innovation in the vast corporate landscape. Meanwhile, the Future Foundation awards millions of credits a year to help promote education, fund new research and even provide housing opportunities.

By sticking to the core concepts outlined by a visionary entrepreneur almost a thousand years ago, it’s clear that RSI is going to be a fixture in Human development for a long time to come.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 16, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

As its coffee, I hope the barista AI making GBS threads routine is more watery and less gassy compared to the bartender AI making GBS threads routine.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 16, 2020

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

this looks perfectly fine for a game that came out in 2012. They probably released it for xbox360 and only had 512mb of ram to work with

*aide rushes over, whispers in my ear*

oh dear

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

All hail emperor Roasted Red Pepper Spread Knife!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pixelate posted:

Incidentally some are claiming draw distances have been cut in preparation for the server load

:reddit: Has the draw distance on planets dropped dramatically with the last update?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvtF5O9lJVk

e: lol only just realised that’s the Giuseppe shill guy from DualShockers there. Struggling on his new 3070

The shadow pop-in at least is a pretty common feature of SpeedTree if you crank up the performance settings. It makes me wonder if they're populating all the other decorations with the same middleware, only they've added a few extra types of “trees” to the formula?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CompassionateHarmfulHapuku-mobile.mp4

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

star citizen: not a normal gaming community

edit: that didn't quote right, but somebody on twitter said it

i stand by it

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Popete posted:

"Chris Roberts? I thought we fired that guy 2 decades ago, he's working on the new Halo?"

People need to ease up on Christopher Robin. He's always made sure that Pooh Bear was well-supplied with honey.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Grubby Hobo posted:

People need to ease up on Christopher Robin. He's always made sure that Pooh Bear was well-supplied with honey.

I thought she already divorced him?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
1234 1234, I declare a Thumb War!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pixelate posted:

Yeah reddit just schooled me too

Here’s a hot take from 2015:

Your honor, it isn't copyright infringement. I would cite the "Shout out" law of 1928.

Elden Ring looking good

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zaphod42 posted:

Your honor, it isn't copyright infringement. I would cite the "Shout out" law of 1928.

Elden Ring looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGlXn00WfU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Doggoborne when?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

This must be an internal concept art right?
The gun is just straight from Halo.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Flannelette posted:

This must be an internal concept art right?
The gun is just straight from Halo.

I see you are clutching at straws of reason and rational thought.

Stop breathe deep ...now what does your heart tell you?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
with noises

https://i.imgur.com/Q6EAeXH.mp4

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

But what about comparing real spacecraft to... concept art for a game?

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1328211955350269957

Btw, Commercial Crew Program started around the same time as pre-production of SC, maybe even later.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1327667197792043009

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://i.imgur.com/HEKrP96.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/yuoRrYd.mp4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Running through the expo is so unfidelitious. Why aren't the citizens walking for maximum fidelity?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OAuViakOc

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2950

ITS RAFFLE TIME!
ENTRIES WILL END WHEN THIS COUNTDOWN HITS 0.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20201119T00&p0=24&msg=Star+Citizen+IAE+2950&font=slab

To enter:
- You must be a Platinum Account holder. For PMs.
- You must quote this post.

What's your guess on the funding tracker sheet at the end of IAE 2950?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
Current Pledge Amount
$317,425,743

GOOD LUCK FOLKS.
Grand Prize - A Humble (Steam Key) Copy of Cyberpunk 2077.
Consolation Prizes - 3 Humble Monthies.

$318,061,024

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Yikes, that looks like about 15 fps.
Must be the extra strain of the hats.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Experimental Skin posted:

I'm not a fan of the Citizer look, and much prefer ED's style honestly. The Citizer look to me is basically kit bash 3-4 generic outdated "military looking" things, turn it into a high poly static mesh, break it into 47 unattached and unique objects, and giggle as it jitters through surfaces.

I agree with you, friend. :)

While I find SCs "graphics cohesion" super messy and basically all over the place, but they will ensure that some random object has a 4K textures and is made of 6M polygons for like a tube of toothpaste laying on your fidelity bathroom sink.

Although ironically I don't believe SC has figured out reflective surfaces yet so your mirror will be one of those blurry textures with pseudo reflection. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sunswipe posted:

Ok, so The Titanic is being held hostage by Citizens and is trying to alert us. Do we do anything about it, or just wait for her to escape by clipping through the floor?

I'd say you can rescue me, but honestly I'm still waiting for the plan of the plan on how they plan to torture me so chances are I will die naturally long before I even know what's coming next.

But by all means storm the gates. :glomp:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Free fly can’t come soon enough

This looks like a robot wearing a skin like a terminator or something.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Fidelitious posted:

Yikes, that looks like about 15 fps.
Must be the extra strain of the hats.

I'm loving the middle out of 5 windows in the distance that suddenly pops in, for some reason.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Incidentally some are claiming draw distances have been cut in preparation for the server load

:reddit: Has the draw distance on planets dropped dramatically with the last update?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvtF5O9lJVk

e: lol only just realised that’s the Giuseppe shill guy from DualShockers there. Struggling on his new 3070

Draw distances shouldn't have anything to do with server load unless you're trying to stream in other players within that distance.

This looks like they are just fighting in that weird area where you shouldn't be trying to do a super detailed first person shooter mixed with a fast moving flight simulator. You're going to have these super aggressive and unusual artifacts of level of detail.

Unreal has good ways of handling this, but I'm not sure how good CryEngine does with flight simulator type pop in. I'm not sure I've ever seen a CryEngine flight simulator before. :thunkher:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I love CIG and their art at a conceptual and creative level. :)

If they can't jack something from another movie/game or build a space ship it, the concept makes no sense. :)

Like at a very minimum you might consider that in space your drinks might be in a bag or something instead of a can, because zero gravity and what not. And it looks like some kiosk in a mall literally today instead of 900 years in the future. Those grey walls too, it's like the 90s all over again.

Thanks for the creative bankruptcy CIG. :3:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think there's a level in Crysis where you pilot an Osprey-like VTOL plane, but I can't remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The Titanic posted:

I love CIG and their art at a conceptual and creative level. :)

If they can't jack something from another movie/game or build a space ship it, the concept makes no sense. :)

Like at a very minimum you might consider that in space your drinks might be in a bag or something instead of a can, because zero gravity and what not. And it looks like some kiosk in a mall literally today instead of 900 years in the future. Those grey walls too, it's like the 90s all over again.

Thanks for the creative bankruptcy CIG. :3:

And never mind that it's the distant future and you still need a poor salesperson to stand at the checkout instead of grabbing a drink and paying for it. I can see that bartenders can have a role in the universe, because they have the stereotypical role of talking to you if you're alone.

Even today there are stores in my city where there are no employees. You just grab an item from the freezer and pay with your card. There are only a few at this point, but they exist. But in CRoberts' future dream world you still have cashiers that sell you cans of coffee!