Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Given that the banner leak was 100% correct about Childe's banner, I don't see much reason to believe Zhongli's will differ at all.

Even though it's still really funny that it's Oops! All Claymores with the 4* characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

ThePineapple posted:

I suppose I should do his trial thing then, but from what I read Tartaglia is hit or miss. Agree that the next banner also seems weird though, although maybe Zhongli would pair well with Ningguang? I don't even know if Zhongli is supposed to be a carry.

Based on his datamined abilities he looks more support-y, most of his power is in his skill and burst, which stay on the field, so you'd want to switch off him when they're on cooldown.

But of course he's a polearm wielder and Crescent Pike is probably going to be extremely sick with him too, so it's possible he can play a carry role too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
More event details here:

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/6764

The portion of the event where you spend resin to get the really big ticket items apparently won't open until next week. The rate in the event shop looks potentially insane - I saw a screenshot where blue talent books cost 4 of the special currency and you get ~40 special currency for 40 resin, which means 10 blue talent books for 40 resin. Idk how accurate these screenshots were but it looks really good if it's real.

The special crown (to level a talent from 9 to 10) allegedly costs 110 special currency, meaning it costs somewhere around 120 resin (yikes).

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

No Wave posted:

More event details here:

The portion of the event where you spend resin to get the really big ticket items apparently won't open until next week. The rate in the event shop looks potentially insane - I saw a screenshot where blue talent books cost 4 of the special currency and you get ~40 special currency for 40 resin, which means 10 blue talent books for 40 resin. Idk how accurate these screenshots were but it looks really good if it's real.

The special crown (to level a talent from 9 to 10) allegedly costs 110 special currency, meaning it costs somewhere around 120 resin (yikes).

I seem to remember reading that the rewards will depend on your WL, so it'll probably be balanced with the leylines! 10 blue talent books for 40 resin is almost exactly your expected haul from two leylines at AR 40-44 (it's actually a tiny bit worse, even).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes - there's a screenshot where at level 15 you get 15 little crystals per run, at level 25 you get 20, and at level 35 you get 25. I'm guessing that at level 45 you'll get 30 which would make these hero's wit a very good deal (7.5 purples for 20 resin vs 5.5 purples for 20 resin).

Note that there are two currencies. This event will have a single player resin event that opens on the 18th and a co-op resin event that opens on the 23rd. The single player event costs 20 resin and gives you currency that can buy purple books and gems. The co-op event will give currency that lets you buy skill books and the crown (and ore but lol ore).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 16, 2020

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

No Wave posted:

More event details here:

Here's some screenshots reportedly from the china servers of the event shop:

https://imgur.com/a/OCbrvbC

Definitely some good value on the shop.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Bloody Emissary posted:

Not Japanese, so take this with a grain of salt, but the connotations of the prefix 原 also seem to center around the idea of the thing attached to it being the primitive, unrefined form of something else. One of the possible meanings my dictionary lists for it is "raw", for instance, but it's raw in the sense of something unprocessed, not something fresh and alive—raw cotton (原綿), raw materials (原料), crude oil (原油). I think this matches up with what we've been told about Vision bearers having the potential to enter Celestia—they're the unrefined, "rough" forms of gods, like uncut gemstones or unspun wool.

It's also in words like 原稿, meaning rough draft. If I were translating it I probably would've used something like "proto-god". Something that's not yet a god, but can serve as the basis of one.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

This is an incredibly minor thing, but would it be possible to take COVID out of the title? One of the many great things about this game is the way it gets me out of the news cycle.

I figured if it bothers me there might be others.

It's a bit late (never changed a thread title before) but its done! I think you made a good point

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes - it all depends on if 25 shards is the maximum amount you can get. 25 shards for 20 resin is a pretty unimpressive value on the hero's wits once you're AR45 and above (you get 6.250 purples per run for the event and 6.125 on normal leylines), but the talent books just look amazing no matter how you look at it.

The fragments are very good value even if it's 25 shards per run - once you're going from 80-90 your bottleneck will be entirely fragments and not the special boss materials and 2 fragments is roughly what you get for 40 resin even at AR45.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Real bummer if you can only buy 1 of each book like the picture implies.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Man, I just laugh every time at how ridiculously janky this "Stone Harbor Treasure Journal" event is. You can't even go to it from your quests tab, you have to go find the mail with the link! It doesn't care which Traveler you are (I'm Aether but the event casts me as Lumine)! It's just silly as gently caress.

But hey, more buttons to press. I'm accomplishing things! :3:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Real bummer if you can only buy 1 of each book like the picture implies.

I doubt it means that, since having a limit of 1 ore would be ridiculous and it has the same text and having the same limit for guides as for philosophies would be weird too. Pretty sure it's just a placeholder, since that's the store tab for the second currency which isn't yet available.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Do 'This BP Period' activities count for the weekly Exp limit?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

kater posted:

They do not.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

kater posted:

Yes. I'm sure you've noticed that completing all the dailies and weeklies in a week out you over the weekly limit, which obviates the "this BP period" tasks.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ashenai posted:

Man, I just laugh every time at how ridiculously janky this "Stone Harbor Treasure Journal" event is. You can't even go to it from your quests tab, you have to go find the mail with the link! It doesn't care which Traveler you are (I'm Aether but the event casts me as Lumine)! It's just silly as gently caress.

But hey, more buttons to press. I'm accomplishing things! :3:

I've barely made any progress on this because there's no notification that it's done so I always forget that it exists. Big fan of the part where you have to use a mouse to navigate the UI even when set to controller mode and when you exit out back to the notices screen, your controller still inexplicably doesn't work anymore even though under all other circumstances it works there just fine, forcing you to hit esc. Surpasses Space Station 13 levels of jank.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ashenai posted:

This is poor impulse control and bad advice. If you're not whaling a lot, you will have to pick and choose which 5*s you want, you will not be able to get to pity (and especially not double-pity) on all of them. Waiting a couple of weeks or even months for the banner you want is the smart thing to do.

Primogens don't expire, you'll end up with the exact same number of 4* and 5* rolls no matter when you use them. So use them on what you want the most, not what's available at the moment because you're bored.

If a banner appears and you don't have primogems saved up, you will have to spend over $300 to guarantee the 5* character from that banner. If that doesn't sound like your jam, then save up for the banners you want.

I actually strongly disagree? Like you want to wait months to pull your first five star? Huh? That sounds absolutely horrible. Also you aren't even gauranteed to get the banner 5 first try so what are we even talking about. Just rip open poo poo and use what you get. Unless you specifically don't want the rate up characters I guess.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Everyone is talking about the payoff in books and stuff and I'm thinking: wouldn't you just spend as much as you can on crowns, given the limited time nature of the event?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pope Urbane II posted:

Yes. I'm sure you've noticed that completing all the dailies and weeklies in a week out you over the weekly limit, which obviates the "this BP period" tasks.

Ashenai posted:

They do not.

Seems to be some conflicting reports here.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

kater posted:

I actually strongly disagree? Like you want to wait months to pull your first five star? Huh? That sounds absolutely horrible. Also you aren't even gauranteed to get the banner 5 first try so what are we even talking about. Just rip open poo poo and use what you get. Unless you specifically don't want the rate up characters I guess.

Well, here's another way to look at it: you are going to wait months to pull your second five star, whether you like it or not (unless you spend a lot of money). So it's a good idea to do what you can to make your first one really good, because you're not getting any more for a long time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mailer posted:

Everyone is talking about the payoff in books and stuff and I'm thinking: wouldn't you just spend as much as you can on crowns, given the limited time nature of the event?

There is probably only one crown in the event shop. I've never played a gacha game that allowed for an unlimited amount of that type of item. It's always one or two per event to keep you playing.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I just put a C5 Ningguang and I am shocked at how well she can solo stuff (Level 40 killing level 50+s with 0 issues her burst is amazing) . Would it be worth it to try and get her to C6? I would sadly be pulling fresh on the Childe banner (I stopped pulling that banner after getting my last 4* )

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

kater posted:

Seems to be some conflicting reports here.

I tried it yesterday, since I didn't know the answer myself and I was at 44 pulls anyway, so I went up to a round 50. I got the 1500 BP and it did not count toward my weekly limit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

People in this thread have been talking about character synergies and tiers and stuff, which makes me feel like an absolute idiot so I'd like some advice. This is my current roster:

I've been using Sucrose as my "main" dps because I love the swooshing AOE effects of swirl so I wanted more Wind, all the time. She's still absolutely amazing at killing groups, but I'm starting to realize at level 70 that her normal attacks are... bad. Really bad. Fischl and Xingqiu are both amazing as "switch to them for 2 seconds to use their skills/bursts and then switch out" characters, while Noelle keeps me alive and is also surprisingly strong when her Burst is up.

Anyway, the main problem I'm having is that apparently Water and Lightning are crappy elements and I need Pyro or Cryo to kill slimes in any reasonable amount of time. I tried out Xiangling briefly (replacing Xingqiu) but tbh I hated playing her. In particular her Skill seems really awkward to apply Pyro with and her Burst took too long to charge (although maybe that was an effect of the Domain I was trying her out in). I guess maybe an obvious thing would be to replace Sucrose with Xiangling with a physical build, but honestly I still really enjoy the giant swooshing AOE effects so that would make me sad.

Edit: Xingqiu is at C0, btw. Everyone else I'm using is C1.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 16, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6886UG_pqyI

The real MVP of this patch is this music honestly.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Vargs posted:

I've barely made any progress on this because there's no notification that it's done so I always forget that it exists.

I'm gonna be done with it the day after tomorrow despite having missed one of my chances, so it's definitely doable in 6 days. You could start from scratch right now and still complete it. Just don't forget!

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 16, 2020

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

People in this thread have been talking about character synergies and tiers and stuff, which makes me feel like an absolute idiot so I'd like some advice. This is my current roster:

I've been using Sucrose as my "main" dps because I love the swooshing AOE effects of swirl so I wanted more Wind, all the time. She's still absolutely amazing at killing groups, but I'm starting to realize at level 70 that her normal attacks are... bad. Really bad. Fischl and Xingqiu are both amazing as "switch to them for 2 seconds to use their skills/bursts and then switch out" characters, while Noelle keeps me alive and is also surprisingly strong when her Burst is up.

Anyway, the main problem I'm having is that apparently Water and Lightning are crappy elements and I need Pyro or Cryo to kill slimes in any reasonable amount of time. I tried out Xiangling briefly (replacing Xingqiu) but tbh I hated playing her. In particular her Skill seems really awkward to apply Pyro with and her Burst took too long to charge (although maybe that was an effect of the Domain I was trying her out in). I guess maybe an obvious thing would be to replace Sucrose with Xiangling with a physical build, but honestly I still really enjoy the giant swooshing AOE effects so that would make me sad.

Edit: Xingqiu is at C0, btw. Everyone else I'm using is C1.

You could use either Razor or Noelle as your main dps and keep Sucrose around as support. Razor is just straight up good. Noelle isn't the most damaging primary dps around but she can do alright at it and will never die, while also giving you a ton of flexibility for your other 3 slots since she doesn't need them for reactions or heals.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

it's not like you need a 5* at any point, so long as your 4* roster isn't giving you a headache then it definitely makes sense to save rolls for a better chance at a 5* you actually want.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vargs posted:

You could use either Razor or Noelle as your main dps and keep Sucrose around as support. Razor is just straight up good. Noelle isn't the most damaging primary dps around but she can do alright at it and will never die, while also giving you a ton of flexibility for your other 3 slots since she doesn't need them for reactions or heals.

That's not the worst idea, but it doesn't solve the Pyro/Cryo problem which is the main reason I want to switch up my team in the first place.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wouldn't put much stock in elements being "bad," other than obvious things like current Abyss having a bit of a pyro bias. Razor circumvents the element issues anyway because he works so well as a physical DPS, just pair him with a barely-raised Kaeya and your other slots can be afterthoughts (ofc Sucrose will be great for grouping enemies for Razor's AOE skill and ult).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsDRUNFAcyo

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

kater posted:

I actually strongly disagree? Like you want to wait months to pull your first five star?

If we're talking someone brand new, and we're optimizing for the least sadness, you're probably rerolling until you either get a 5* carry or you luck out into an extremely good 4* team to begin with. At that point you want X and some random dupe of Y doesn't matter. I concede that if you're invested in no rerolls and going in 100% random then waiting loses a lot of its appeal, but that's not really where the advice was aimed.

I mean I'm not saving 28800 gems just to 100% pull a banner 5*, but saving up a few months worth of welkin+bp will give me a reasonable shot at Xiao or Bennet, whenever the hell they show up. There's a middle ground between the two extremes of suffering for a year to get a 5* and wishing the second you get the currency.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if theres stuff I want on the current temp banner I spend my free primos as soon as I get them because otherwise I'd be tempted to spend them on resin

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The only times I had trouble with killing slimes with physical damage is when the cryo slimes and the geo slimes have shields up. Even then it doesn't require fully leveled fire/claymore characters decked out with full artifact sets since a level 1 with starter weapons deals the same amount of shield damage as a level 90 with full artifacts.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Saving is nice and all but they had to go and put two idiot himbos back to back as the featured 5* units and just screw me over. There's no way I'll get both and it sucks. I just want the handsome idiots.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i mean the person was asking if they should spend the 7500 they have been sitting on for a rainy day on this banner for their team. they should, childe is good and pairs well with xiang/bennet. specifically getting xiangling's burst off seems nuts, thats a heckuvalotta aoe. and if they get someone else besides childe, hey thats another interesting thing that could happen.

Ashenai posted:

I tried it yesterday, since I didn't know the answer myself and I was at 44 pulls anyway, so I went up to a round 50. I got the 1500 BP and it did not count toward my weekly limit.

thanks, its pretty unclear about it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Clarste posted:

That's not the worst idea, but it doesn't solve the Pyro/Cryo problem which is the main reason I want to switch up my team in the first place.

Claymore does a lot of work that elements don't. Razor is pretty great at clearing away slimes.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Saving is nice and all but they had to go and put two idiot himbos back to back as the featured 5* units and just screw me over. There's no way I'll get both and it sucks. I just want the handsome idiots.

I really thought I would be able to willpower through the Childe banner, but what would Zhongli do without his wallet??

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm guessing 5* pity doesn't carry over on banners?

I've just been burning pulls as I get them trying not to worry too much about 5*s as I'm enjoying the game as it is anyway. I've got Fischl and just pulled Ningguang so I at least have a couple solid 4*s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I'm guessing 5* pity doesn't carry over on banners?

I've just been burning pulls as I get them trying not to worry too much about 5*s as I'm enjoying the game as it is anyway. I've got Fischl and just pulled Ningguang so I at least have a couple solid 4*s.

It does