Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

rotor posted:

or wait is that the election quarantine thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

my understanding of the pfizer/moderna vax is that they're both rather remarkable from a medical science perspective

They are, mRNA vaccines are a miracle.

Also it's proven technology because it was used for the ebola vaccine.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

spankmeister posted:

They are, mRNA vaccines are a miracle.

Also it's proven technology because it was used for the ebola vaccine.

neat! is this one of those things where since it acts on the spike protein rather than the viral rna, it's theoretically resistant to mutations of the virus?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ah yes, novel coronavirus, which it's only legal to discuss if you're american
In Europe they're really protective of regional names

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You're not injecting dead or inactivated virus, or antigen, or modified virus that has spike protein or other antigens grafted onto it. No instead you're injecting an mRNA blueprint of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein that will be translated inside your own cells by rhibosomes into th actual antigens, which will then be detected by your immune system and an immune response will be mounted, producing antibodies that bind to the virus and neutralize it.

It's quite remarkable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/gitmalik/status/1328413798282235904?s=21

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

spankmeister posted:

They're not at all like flu vaccines because the coronavirus is not at all like the flu.

like flu vaccines in that they're only effective for a few months, as opposed to like the tetanus vaccine that's good for about a decade

obviously they are different things

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

like flu vaccines in that they're only effective for a few months, as opposed to like the tetanus vaccine that's good for about a decade

obviously they are different things

By a completely different mechanism. Also it's not known yet it might be that the vaccines elicit a far better immune response than catching the disease, with a much prolonged antibody titer. We just don't know yet.

Time will tell. I'll take the shot though because any kind of detrimental effect from the vaccine will be at a far lower probability than the 2% case fatality rate of covid and I also don't want to chance getting long term health effects from a bad covid infection tbh.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my hunch is that they're gonna last for less than a year, because:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol we just had our first local reinfection here

patient originally got it in august, tested negative in september, is now pozzed again

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My gut is saying the same thing tbh but we really don't know. Reinfections are expected to pop up, question is how prevalent it will be and if the disease will be more or less severe second time round.

Like was this an immunocompromised person who hasn't mounted an effective immune response the first time? Was the reinfection confirmed? What tests were used? Wat were the Ct values of the test? Could it be a false positive one or both of the times? Etc.

Need more data basically.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

I'm basically going to lock the gently caress down from thanksgiving through christmas, I've been careful and have basically had no indoor exposure to maskless people outside my bubble but drat I think poo poo is going to get grim

apparently there are downsides to creating a country of 350 million people that idolizes "maverick" behavior like rule-breaking and selfishness???

my mom is slowly coming around to the fact that all of her kids are gently trying to tell her that having thanksgiving this year is probably a bad idea

my dad still toggles between chinese manufactured / it's just the flu / people are being dumb about not taking this seriously based on wherever the conversation happens to be

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

reinfection seems somewhat rare at least

idk i feel like if i had gone into medicine i'd have wanted to study viruses and poo poo because it really is fascinating stuff

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

or wait is that the election quarantine thread?

nah it’s for all doomposting.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Every thread is the doomposting thread.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i got that coughing poo poo that make you break your neck

wuhan! got you all in check

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i got that coughing poo poo that make you break your neck

wuhan! got you all in check

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my mom is slowly coming around to the fact that all of her kids are gently trying to tell her that having thanksgiving this year is probably a bad idea

my dad still toggles between chinese manufactured / it's just the flu / people are being dumb about not taking this seriously based on wherever the conversation happens to be

NGL there was this short era of trump messaging where I was onboard with it. and that was when he was calling this "the invisible enemy"

because we for the past 70 years have been preparing to fight an Enemy that wears ushankas or those racist chinese straw hats or whatever. we can't shoot at this thing.
but even if you take germ theory into account, viruses are SO much smaller than bacteria that it's even a different game from that

it is not possible for a human being to visualize how small a sars-cov-2 virus is. it's one thousandth of one thousandth of the _tip_ of a pin, not the ball end. it's super hard to visualize

but they aren't carrying little hammers and sickles when they infect you.

what we're witnessing is an entire nation doing the discovering of germ theory 2: viral loads

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

to this day i'm still not quite sure why it was so mysterious that covid was an airborne disease

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

to this day i'm still not quite sure why it was so mysterious that covid was an airborne disease

wishful thinking

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

but they aren't carrying little hammers and sickles when they infect you.
maybe that's what the protein spikes actually are

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

we could rename the subtitle to happy fun time, where we discuss all the positive aspects of rona, such as

people are now much more aware of bats, and bats are cute

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my hunch is that they're gonna last for less than a year, because:

so this would be literally the second confirmed case of reinfection in the world out of at least 60 million.

i don't think that's a real big concern right now

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

people are now much more aware of bats, and bats are cute

so this would be literally the second confirmed case of reinfection in the world out of at least 60 million.

i don't think that's a real big concern right now

https://youtu.be/WVz8rvIl_vY

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

spankmeister posted:

Also it's not known yet it might be that the vaccines elicit a far better immune response than catching the disease, with a much prolonged antibody titer. We just don't know yet.
This is the first I've heard of this possibility and would like to know more

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

TerminalRaptor posted:

That being said, I don't understand why its taken so long for these things to gain traction in the west. There's literally no downside. I wish I'd had one a decade ago.

my eyes have been opened

and my third eye is winking clean :D

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

I fully expect that by 2022 having an active covid-19 vaccine pumping through your bloodstream will be a condition of gainful employment. Is that legal? Who knows, but it's about to fuckin be.

i bet this is already happening in china in some industries, as we speak.

they’re gonna outsource it in some way though, like the company won’t require you to be vaccinated but the security guard contractors that work in the building won’t let you inside the office unless you have proof of vaccination, and if you can’t come into the office then we’re gonna have to let you go, sorry nothing we can do

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qirex posted:

at this point you will still get treated even if you don't have a chronic condition that requires a monthly kilobuck payment

can't wait until we cut out the middle man and you don't even get a wage anymore- just a bunch of companies haggling over your surplus value. as a bonus when negotiations collapse wal*mazon will let you starve to death in order to show clear water works they're serious

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kitten emergency posted:

well, it was suspected very early on but they didn't have definitive proof until late january iirc

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

maybe we're not asking the important questions

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

spankmeister posted:

You're not injecting dead or inactivated virus, or antigen, or modified virus that has spike protein or other antigens grafted onto it. No instead you're injecting an mRNA blueprint of the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein that will be translated inside your own cells by rhibosomes into th actual antigens, which will then be detected by your immune system and an immune response will be mounted, producing antibodies that bind to the virus and neutralize it.

It's quite remarkable.

gently caress me.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we were considering forming another babby but i think the vaccine they eventually force my wife to take may put that on hold for a bit

why the gently caress would anybody have one baby let alone another? i'd think you'd learn from your mistake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

according to my xls this would be hoverbabby #3 so it seems he's beyond all help

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
even if my almostwife wasn't 44, and i had 10 million dollars, i wouldn't have a single child in hellworld 2020, and i think anyone who does is looney tunes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

DELETE CASCADE posted:

even if my almostwife wasn't 44, and i had 10 million dollars, i wouldn't have a single child in hellworld 2020, and i think anyone who does is looney tunes

why dont you adopt

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

she was actually adopted herself. but it's not just hellworld 2020, neither of us wanted kids going into this relationship. i suppose, in different circumstances, maybe we would consider it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
finally got my house mortgage renegotiated.

just 17 more years lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Methanar posted:

finally got my house mortgage renegotiated.

just 17 more years lol

you renegotiated into a loving variable rate???

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

canadian interest rates are going to still be in the toilet in 2 1/2 years. Which is the length of time before I can next renegotiate for free. In 2 1/2 years I'll lock in a 2.3% or whatever for 3 years.

Fixed rates weren't nearly as good as 1.83%

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

my wfh has been disturbed. two electricians, two plumbers, a locksmith, and a glazer (or whatever) showed up for what I thought was just an inspection, but now all my faucets and the shower have been replaced and a new kitchen lamp is on the way. the maintenance company had gotten so suspicious about the fact that they hadn't gotten any maintenance calls from this apartment in 20 years so they came en masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

ill admit i do not know very much about american interest rate policy but for the uk at least there’s like zero percent chance of them moving up significantly in the next 2 years