Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

gandlethorpe posted:

Probably how Lisa only approaches being somewhat usable when you have appropriate gear, whereas a lot better characters are still fun and effective with suboptimal gear.

That guy's video is funny because he's spending so much effort trying to optimize the clunkiest skill in the game, when it'll always be a 16 second cooldown, easily interrupted mess.

Amber's the butt of a lot of tier list jokes, but honestly Lisa's the real bottom tier hero.

Ignoring how clunky Lisa is to play, when you look at the raw numbers behind damage calculations her HOLD E (Violet Arc) skill scales incredibly well. So well it is in fact the hardest single hit possible, lvl 15 is +1157% dmg on a target with 3 conductive stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

homeless snail posted:

If you stack def and level breastplate her heal ramps up pretty hard, without the downside of getting you wet, provided you're in a fight that you can keep your shield up for the full duration each time. If you have C1 her burst turns into basically a full party heal, also. Noelle has been my main healer for a couple weeks now and I'm very happy with her.

Should I do for def or def %? Do I trade atk % for def(/%)?

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah, if you have her c1 she's a great healer and she's still pretty good without it

She needs leveled DEF artifacts though, she stops healing when the shield from her E skill falls off and her healing scales with DEF

I’m not on pc so what’s the E skill? Is it the breastplate/shield one?

The thing I don’t like about Lisa is how her normal attack moves her backwards. The moving part in general is annoying.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lisa also really wants constellation bonuses to help shore up her problems. C2 gives her a survivability boost while charging her E (25% DEF and Interruption Resist) while C6 turbos out her big damage by letting her just immediately throw 3 stacks of conductivity on enemies in the area when you swap to her. She's basically a character you pull out for a big burst of damage and then swap out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Joink posted:

Ignoring how clunky Lisa is to play, when you look at the raw numbers behind damage calculations her HOLD E (Violet Arc) skill scales incredibly well. So well it is in fact the hardest single hit possible, lvl 15 is +1157% dmg on a target with 3 conductive stacks.

The largest single hit means nothing if it takes a long time to set up and is easily interrupted.

Like, I have no opinions on the tier list, but we're talking about dps, not the largest single hits.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Joink posted:

She does have this distinction, I'll give her that.

Tartaglia's burst is like 98% as strong with no setup other than being in melee stance, can deal bonus damage, and has a 1 second shorter cooldown, lol. Oh, and has no channel time and gives invuln frames. Oh, and he's a good damage dealer outside of using it.

Edit: Oh, and it can be multiplied by vaporize

Edit: He sucks versus Oceanid though

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I haven't really notice what Fischl is even saying in jp other than how verbose the the text makes it appear but shes not even being chuuni by saying words in other languages. She's talking in a haughty way with some anachronistic words, the localization is taking huge efforts to convey how much of a dork she is.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Clarste posted:

The largest single hit means nothing if it takes a long time to set up and is easily interrupted.

Like, I have no opinions on the tier list, but we're talking about dps, not the largest single hits.

I don't see the value in sustained damage in harder content. Not dying is more important. What I have seen and why I consider Beidoiu top tier is popping a counter hit for 200k 1-shotting an abyss mage or Fatui after the shield is removed on the harder abyss floors. Same thing can happen with Lisa.

Edit: Lisa is not a top tier unit, however characters that can do a ton of damage in a very short timeframe have a use.

Joink fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 17, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
My final 4* pity on this banner before the big saveup starts was a C1 Diona. I'll take it.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah I love Childe. :v:

Childe is fine! You just need C1 and a specific 5* weapon...

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
The one thing I really appreciate about Xiangling and Fischl is how effective they can be even with minimal effort. Summon dps minion 1, switch, summon dps minion 2, run around picking up loot as everything turns to ash.

Obviously that's not the point in spiral abyss or tough domains, but this game has a whole lot of trash mobs too, and I like not having to pay attention to them.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 17, 2020

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I haven't really notice what Fischl is even saying in jp other than how verbose the the text makes it appear but shes not even being chuuni by saying words in other languages. She's talking in a haughty way with some anachronistic words, the localization is taking huge efforts to convey how much of a dork she is.

She's chuuni because her name is Aimee and she made all this up from some young adult novel she read

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Should I do for def or def %? Do I trade atk % for def(/%)?
All her talents scale off of def and you probably aren't relying on her for damage so I wouldn't worry too much about her atk, and she has a pretty high base def so percentage will probably work better for you. That said, you only really need as much def as you need healing output so if you reach a point where you're satisfied with her healing you can swap in a geo dmg or atk artifact no problem to make her a little more useful during healing phases, in my experience.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Joink posted:

Total damage per hit is irrelevant to DPS unless all you care about is alpha striking hillichurls (which only really works at her C6).

Okay let's go off the Wiki which only has stats to level 7 on Violet Arc.

Hold E damage with 3 stacks - 731%. That's on a 16s cooldown after 3 1s uses of E, plus the several seconds charge time, which is very interruptible.

Beidou's E (Tidecaller) with full counter damage (level 7) - 662% 7.5s cooldown, as well as giving as shield of 21% max hp +2392. Beidou also gets Electro damage as her ascension stat vs. Lisa's elemental mastery so it's going to have higher damage!

So it's uh, actually bad? Like I'll take an instant activation skill that does basically the same damage, that also shields me from damage instead of leaving me vulnerable, doesn't require 3 attacks worth of setup, and also has less than half the cooldown.

Lisa just isn't good. That doesn't mean you can't use her! The game's basically super easy except Spiral Abyss and probably the Chapter 1 boss fight. If you wanna main Lisa you can probably handle everything else in the game! She's definitely the weakest Catalyst user and probably only beats Amber in terms of trying to deal damage to enemies.

But like, she can still kill Oceanid birds and probably Ruin Guards pretty well! She's certainly got a very small niche, but she feels clunky to play and the math just says she has bad, bad stats. Also go away weird thirsty library mom.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah the localization owns.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

All her talents scale off of def and you probably aren't relying on her for damage so I wouldn't worry too much about her atk, and she has a pretty high base def so percentage will probably work better for you. That said, you only really need as much def as you need healing output so if you reach a point where you're satisfied with her healing you can swap in a geo dmg or atk artifact no problem to make her a little more useful during healing phases, in my experience.

Also if you get to C6, her atk scales off of def too.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How are Paimon's "boom shaka laka" lines in other languages?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Also if you get to C6, her atk scales off of def too.
Sweeping time always puts 40% or more (talent lvl depending) of defense into atk, the C6 just adds another 50%.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Really frustrating when you get a five star (Childe) but you don't have the xp resources to get them to level 70, and are hesitant to allocate resources to them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

theblackw0lf posted:

Really frustrating when you get a five star (Childe) but you don't have the xp resources to get them to level 70, and are hesitant to allocate resources to them.

I mean lack of resources sucks regardless, but I feel like Childe is the first carry I'd ever question. No one asks if you should get Keqing/Klee/Diluc to 70 unless you've already got solid abyss-clearing teams nailed down.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Even this week? The week we're getting 200 purple books?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

MotU posted:

She's chuuni because her name is Aimee and she made all this up from some young adult novel she read

She runs around with some pretty convincing evidence that at least some of that is actually made rather than made up.

Regardless, they need to hurry up and drop me Illyana Rasputin's Fischl's C6. It's really good. They keep teasing saying she's coming the 11th then the 16th....

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I did the childe story quest and the test run, and if I'm being honest Childe is just too weird for me. His melee is really cool, and then it seems like you pretty much never want to swap off of him because it falls off and you're stuck in lovely bow stance? I'm kinda sad the banner that finally has ning and beidou on it has him as the 5 star, but I got a couple of dupes of both of them without wasting a pity so it worked out.

Bows in general just feel like someone at mihoyo thinks they're a lot better than they really are. Smaller targets will dodge a lot of the shots and nobody has time to charge for 2 seconds while putting on blinders and reducing your move speed. Having a carry that's only good half the time seems extremely bad, regardless of how good the burst is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pulled Childe after about 76 singles.

Yay

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I don't know how Lisa would be as a main DPS- honestly that guy's video that I linked is not how I play her at all. But I think it goes to show how even the "Bad" casters can be pretty viable if statted right, and a lot of a character's strength comes from the interesting edge cases of their kit rather than their ability to pump sheer numbers.

In Lisa's case, she is my secondary DPS and I hardly ever hold down her E for the big strike. My Lisa is 70 with a 70 weapon and I use her entirely as a reaction hammer, which she is incredibly good at. I have her EM pumped up to like 600 which gives something like a 415% boost on damage from overload and other elemental reactions. I use her to:

* Annihilate small flying enemies (birds, fireflies, geo shamans on pillars) with homing shots after applying hydro or cryo
* Proc superconduct with QiQi any time she feels like it to set up for Xiangling
* Proc overload off of Xiangling's fire bear to stagger big shield guys or pretty much anything that is vulnerable to being exploded. She can do this 4 times per bear, easily, and then I can pop back to Xiangling and pick up the pepper for an ATK boost
* Drop her Q and Xiangling's Q for a static field that basically procs non-stop overloads for like 20 seconds straight. This will clear that 5 Ruin Guard ambush if it catches them all.

I'm not going to die on the hill of "She's the best" or anything, especially because I didn't really have a choice of other lightning element users until very recently. But she's been really good as a backup DPS and I can't imagine replacing her right now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

How are Paimon's "boom shaka laka" lines in other languages?

I forgot what she said during the Xianling quest but I'll keep an ear out for when she says it during the rest of the liyue quest line

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

On the topic of characters in this game I've got the absolute worst non-Paimon Sucks take ITT

I think Zhongli's voice is way too deep for anyone in this artstyle to be having.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh right I'm sure I saw this being discussed some days ago but I don't remember the outcome if it was tested.

How does the 2-piece Gambler's set work on Childe? Is the 20% boost to Elemental Skill damage only applied to the explosion that happens when you stance switch or does it actually apply to the melee attacks?
He's confusing because all his skills are a big loving incestuous mess, but the descriptions do tell you what things count for what.
  • Bow shots, obviously, are considered Normal Attacks, and Aimed Shots are Aimed Shots.
  • Melee mode attacks are also considered Normal Attacks, and the melee Charged Attack is a Charged Attack.
  • Riptide Flash (when you fully-charged shoot something with Riptide on it) counts as Normal Attack damage. It's pretty obvious this is the case as it is a fraction of the Aimed Shot damage.
  • Riptide Burst (when an enemy with Riptide on it dies) counts as Normal Attack damage.
  • Switching to melee mode does damage, which I believe counts as Elemental Skill damage.
  • Riptide Slash (when an enemy with Riptide on it is hit in melee) counts as Elemental Skill damage.
  • Both Elemental Bursts count as Elemental Burst damage, obviously.
  • Riptide Blast (when the melee Burst hits an enemy with Riptide on it) counts as Elemental Burst damage.
So the Gambler 2pc will boost the damage when you stance switch and the procs when you hit things with Riptide on them with melee attacks, and the Noblesse 2pc will boost the damage of the Burst skills and Riptide Blast. Everything else seems to be considered either a Normal Attack, Aimed Shot, or Charged Attack. Note that Riptide Slash has an internal cooldown of 1.5 seconds per enemy, so it won't go off constantly unless you're in a cluster of enemies. If you're whale enough to have Childe's C4, Riptide Flash and Riptide Slash will proc every 4 seconds on every enemy affected by Riptide, and this is separate from the manual application cooldown. Since both of those deal AoE damage, Childe can basically just apply Riptide to a group of enemies and wait for things to die at that point.

EDIT: He generally won't have to wait long though as things are usually already dead after initiating with his ranged Burst.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 17, 2020

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The elemental sight for bounties in the mountains suck. It keeps telling to clip through the ground or climb in very inefficient ways.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Oh neat, it looks like you don't have to collect all the meteorite shards every single day. They don't reset; you get another 3 areas full of them every day, but it looks like the old areas aren't cleared, so you should be able to clear them out later if you like.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Are we getting three new areas every day or just today and tomorrow? Every day seems crazy, that's 15 purple books.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

I'm helping out this dude with his bodybuilder forum testosterone diet

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just got around to playing through the quest for the event. Someone please get poor Oz a perch or something, his wings must be exhausted.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

No Wave posted:

Are we getting three new areas every day or just today and tomorrow? Every day seems crazy, that's 15 purple books.

just today and tomorrow, then the second stage unlocks and we can start spending resin

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok that makes sense. We would have run out of map soon anyways. I'm probably going to end up spending fragile resin on this event, seems like the right time to use it (two fragile resin for a crown seems like a fair deal).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’ve spent a ton of fragile resin because I’m impatient but I have a few kicking around still. Going to definitely burn some.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I did the childe story quest and the test run, and if I'm being honest Childe is just too weird for me. His melee is really cool, and then it seems like you pretty much never want to swap off of him because it falls off and you're stuck in lovely bow stance? I'm kinda sad the banner that finally has ning and beidou on it has him as the 5 star, but I got a couple of dupes of both of them without wasting a pity so it worked out.

Bows in general just feel like someone at mihoyo thinks they're a lot better than they really are. Smaller targets will dodge a lot of the shots and nobody has time to charge for 2 seconds while putting on blinders and reducing your move speed. Having a carry that's only good half the time seems extremely bad, regardless of how good the burst is.

He's good but I think he's gonna be very divisive because he's got Chores to do with his damage output. Personally I like that he's got a lot going on compared to someone like Diluc who is just mash the E key at high speeds forever.

Bow stance ain't bad as he's got good multipliers and stuff but he's definitely way slower there than he is in melee. Without any constellations I think the way of the game is to be pretty conservative about how long you keep him in melee stance given the cooldown scales up the longer you stay there. Alternatively you can treat him like a big burst character and bring him out to do his thing for as long as you can and then swap to another big DPS carry character while his cooldown ticks. I think pairing him with another good hydro like Xingqiu or Mona will be real helpful as well to make sure he can burst more often.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm still just wondering what exactly about test run Childe made him feel so much better than mine :sigh:

someday i'll get there

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Childe seems really strong. I can't wait to finish the Liyue missions and see him be shut down by two people holding his wrists like we were.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

dogsicle posted:

i'm still just wondering what exactly about test run Childe made him feel so much better than mine :sigh:

someday i'll get there

Most likely just raw talent levels. If you don't have him at 70 yet there's also the talent that makes melee stance crits apply Riptide. You can actually view his character page in the free trial through the radial menu. They have him at Level 80 with a Level 80 Favonius Warbow, a set of 4* Brave Heart artifacts, and Level 8 Talents.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

RareAcumen posted:

On the topic of characters in this game I've got the absolute worst non-Paimon Sucks take ITT

I think Zhongli's voice is way too deep for anyone in this artstyle to be having.

Which voice? I kinda like his EN one, since the clash between its creaky-old-manishness and his anime pretty-boy looks hints at his true identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Most likely just raw talent levels. If you don't have him at 70 yet there's also the talent that makes melee stance crits apply Riptide. You can actually view his character page in the free trial through the radial menu. They have him at Level 80 with a Level 80 Favonius Warbow, a set of 4* Brave Heart artifacts, and Level 8 Talents.

yeah going back in to check it seems like talents and artifacts are where the disparity is. he's definitely benefitting from the Brave Heart 4pc effect and also running 50% crit while i'm down at 10% with 4/6/5 talents even though my atk is higher due to running Rust.