Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you can afford a CX you should probably budget for an audio solution that doesn’t rely on the freebie they tossed in the box. Like, I’m sure it’s ok and all but it’s obviously not the intended use and you might end up having lip sync issues etc with it.

He might be fine watching movies but I'm pretty sure LG doesn't support bluetooth audio in game mode for latency reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Incessant Excess posted:

He might be fine watching movies but I'm pretty sure LG doesn't support bluetooth audio in game mode for latency reasons.

Ok this means I probably do need the sound bar. I'm going to grab the Vizio.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Is there any site that lets you what TVs are called in various markets? I'm having trouble because all the review sites are in the US, but the codes they use are different to the UK ones. Some brands like LG are fine, but Hisense and Sony just seem to spam whatever random numbers they think of.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From what I’ve seen with Hisense, they don’t exactly line up. It’s definitely a nightmare when you’re trying to use sources like rtings, buying a TV in the UK is definitely trickier than it ought to be.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Wolfsbane posted:

Is there any site that lets you what TVs are called in various markets? I'm having trouble because all the review sites are in the US, but the codes they use are different to the UK ones. Some brands like LG are fine, but Hisense and Sony just seem to spam whatever random numbers they think of.

Rtings.com lists what each TV is called in different regions on the ones they review.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Incessant Excess posted:

Rtings.com lists what each TV is called in different regions on the ones they review.

Only for US and Canada, as far as I can see?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Wolfsbane posted:

Only for US and Canada, as far as I can see?

They only review models from that region since that's where they're based but they do mention the EU/UK model name if the TV in question is available there. Here's an example:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900h

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony 65" OLED $1600 shipped

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Wolfsbane posted:

From experience it's a huge pain and you're mostly on your own. Rtings sometimes has the different model numbers for the same products but most of the time you have to figure it out yourself. Similarly numbered sets can be totally different panels depending on your location, as with TCL, so be careful and err on the side of not assuming things are the same.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone want some big rear end TVs that are cheap as hell?
Both of these are for My Best Buy rewards members so you need to be logged into to see the cheaper price

Hisense - 65" Class H6510G Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV - $250
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-65-class-h6510g-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6430857.p (currently out of stock but may come back)

TCL - 55" Class 4 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV - $200
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-4-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6422762.p

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm crossing my fingers that the 5 or 6-series 65" TCLs go on sale for Black Friday, but I get the feeling it's not gonna happen =/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm crossing my fingers that the 5 or 6-series 65" TCLs go on sale for Black Friday, but I get the feeling it's not gonna happen =/

I'm sure it will. I got a 5 series for $100 off last year.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

at minimum just get a lovely old receiver and speakers off craigslist for like 20 bucks. even that is better than a bluetooth speaker or soundbar or whatever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is there a tv out there for my ps5 that costs around $500 or less and has good hdr low lag and is 4K, 43-55 inches. I don’t really care about oled or 120 fps or integrated sound. Preferably from bestbuy where I have a gift card

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Well they just put in my CX and I have no idea how I'm supposed to work the rest of the day today.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

at minimum just get a lovely old receiver and speakers off craigslist for like 20 bucks. even that is better than a bluetooth speaker or soundbar or whatever.

This is just not true and I wish people would stop spouting this poo poo about soundbars. You can get a great sounding soundbar with sub and nice modern features for $150-200.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ethanol posted:

Is there a tv out there for my ps5 that costs around $500 or less and has good hdr low lag and is 4K, 43-55 inches. I don’t really care about oled or 120 fps or integrated sound. Preferably from bestbuy where I have a gift card

55"
Hisense h8g (sold out at best buy online, try local)
Vizio M Series Quantum

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I don't think I can justify having a soundbar in my set up. My CX is on its stand which is about 2 inches off the cabinet it rests on and the audio is decent enough for the room since it faces couches on the opposite corner from where it is.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Island Nation posted:

I don't think I can justify having a soundbar in my set up. My CX is on its stand which is about 2 inches off the cabinet it rests on and the audio is decent enough for the room since it faces couches on the opposite corner from where it is.

Yeah, that's been bugging me too, the stand is so low that the LG soundbar I bought bundled is higher than the stand.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

55"
Vizio M Series Quantum

Thanks, I’ll check these out

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I got one of these monitor risers to put my 55" C9 on so I could put my center speaker in front of it, works well:
https://www.newegg.com/p/2RC-010Y-00019

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Mister Facetious posted:

55"
Vizio M Series Quantum

These and the TCL 6 series all seem to be pretty hard to come by right now. Was there a supply shortage of some kind or are these models discontinued?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

GFBeach posted:

These and the TCL 6 series all seem to be pretty hard to come by right now. Was there a supply shortage of some kind or are these models discontinued?

Probably just some people with nothing else to spend money on in the pandemic

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GFBeach posted:

Yeah I can’t find those. What about this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-50-class-q60t-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401758.p?skuId=6401758

Edit: oh that vizio is actually in stock. Hmmm

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Q60T should be your last resort. Samsung has really been slacking with everything that isn't the 8 series or higher.

GFBeach posted:

Probably limited supply combined with high demand due to price; the 55" H9G has been hard to come by since it came out in the summer; YouTubers have been singing the praises of all the top end budget televisions (tcl, hisense, Vizio) this year.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 16, 2020

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hmm ok I just noticed it has better reviews on bestbuy dot com than the vizio. Probably shouldn’t go by those reviews lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Vizio M50Q7 50" is going to be $299 at Costco on Cyber Monday if you're OK with that size.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Looking for a 65" OLED to replace my faithful Samsung plasma that finally went kaput. My use case is local 4k streaming from a plex server, plus all the normal online streaming apps. No gaming.

I had been pretty locked into the CX from costco for $1850, but saw the Sony BRAVIA OLED XBR-65A8G just drop on Amazon for $1600. RTings seems to have them rated pretty similarly. Is there any reason not to go with the sony and save the $250?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Sony will be perfect for you. Enjoy.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Does anyone make dumb TVs anymore? I need to get two, a 40something for the office and a 60something for the living room, but I can't find anything with decent specs that isn't also festooned with third-party bullshit. I'd like to choose my own third-party bullshit, thank you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fatman1683 posted:

Does anyone make dumb TVs anymore?
Yes, but they're Enterprise/Business oriented and cost just as much as the $300 65" QLEDs at Target.

Some are also sold as 4-quadrant capable cctvs/playback screens.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

Does anyone make dumb TVs anymore?

Monitors :rimshot:

Seriously though, you can just plug in whatever solution you prefer instead; Roku, Chromecast, Plex, etc.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

fatman1683 posted:

Does anyone make dumb TVs anymore? I need to get two, a 40something for the office and a 60something for the living room, but I can't find anything with decent specs that isn't also festooned with third-party bullshit. I'd like to choose my own third-party bullshit, thank you.

Not really if you want an actual TV. Just don't connect them to your network.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Not really if you want an actual TV. Just don't connect them to your network.

Note: this is not an option with Android TVs; the setup requires a connection. There's currently no offline setup.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

god help me I just spent 2 grand on a 65" OLED screen 5 months ago, moved the 46" samsung 1080p tv i used for 9 years before that into the bedroom and now i'm considering replacing that with the tcl series 6 just cause I want 4k in the bedroom and they're ridiculously cheap at 50" right now. what have I done to myself.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

god that is an ugly remote and ugly/perilous support feet. i'd be afraid my cat will knock this thing right off the shelf...at least with my old rear end samsung its base is a center-stand that prob weighs 20lbs alone

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

beep by grandpa posted:

god that is an ugly remote and ugly/perilous support feet. i'd be afraid my cat will knock this thing right off the shelf...at least with my old rear end samsung its base is a center-stand that prob weighs 20lbs alone

The feet aren't perilous at all. It's pretty sturdy. Nothing is going to even get remotely close to knocking it over accidentally.

I'm not a fan of the roku remote's design, but it's small and simple and really out of the way. Also the phone app works fantastically and nice and quick/snappy as a remote. (or just use the Harmony remotes like a real AV nerd!)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

gently caress it I'm doing it. I can always return it for free.....................

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Christ after watching stuff in 4K, regular HD looks fuzzy as poo poo lol. I'm watching the Monday night football game and it looks bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Island Nation posted:

how you gonna spend that much on a tv and use the built in speakers

go to a pawn shop with 120 and get a receiver + bookshelfs at least, goddam