Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Jabberlock posted:

I've never heard mitochondria referred to as the "powerhouse of the cell" outside of the internet. hth

I seem to remember seeing a video in grade school, Bill Nye or something, which I'm pretty sure was popularly used that had that phrase but I can't find it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

voting third party posted:

I seem to remember seeing a video in grade school, Bill Nye or something, which I'm pretty sure was popularly used that had that phrase but I can't find it now.

It's one of those Berenstein things, people remember it coming from Bill Nye but it's famously absent from any of the episodes. The phrase actually originates from Parasite Eve, which is also a good educational resource on the history & function of mitochondria

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jabberlock posted:

I've never heard mitochondria referred to as the "powerhouse of the cell" outside of the internet. hth

I'm old and that's generally the way it was described in Biology. ATP was definitely part of it, but still...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/PleaseBeGneiss/status/1291096772429754368

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Little Death posted:

Saying mitochondria are the powerhouses of the cell actually sort of obscures their function. Mitochondria produced the ATP that cell structures use to do work, but the energy release isn't in the mitochondria it's at the point of work when the ATP transfers a phosphate group to another molecule.

It always bothered me because it gives the impression that the mitochondria like a little hydroelectric dam producing energy that is radiated out to the rest of the cell structures but it's not. It's really more of a chemical converter that turns sugars into actually energy producing chemical.

If we're being picky about high school science simplifications; Hydroelectric dams dont produce energy either, they simply convert it from gravitational potential energy into electrical energy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Obviously not a Windows 10 user, which just throws an update at you out of nowhere and decides you probably didn't need that open document.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SiKboy posted:

If we're being picky about high school science simplifications; Hydroelectric dams dont produce energy either, they simply convert it from gravitational potential energy into electrical energy.

My god next you're going to tell us that chocolate milk doesn't come from brown cows. :argh:

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
All this talk about mitochondria and none of you jerks mention Parasite Eve?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Captainsalami posted:

All this talk about mitochondria and none of you jerks mention Parasite Eve?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's one of those Berenstein things, people remember it coming from Bill Nye but it's famously absent from any of the episodes. The phrase actually originates from Parasite Eve, which is also a good educational resource on the history & function of mitochondria

:confused:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/sunrisemvmt/status/1328770319843287041?s=21

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/GrittyNHL/status/1328714869940609024

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/MrDanZak/status/1328830050293215233

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Are you suggesting hydroelectric dams are the mitochondrion of the lake?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other fun thing about ATP afaik is that it allows muscles to unlock their fibers, your muscles lock by default, and require ATP input to unlock. That's why you get rigor mortis.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1328815355880493059?s=09

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

There's a beautiful series of now-deleted tweets replying to this where someone insists that Guiliani's right because the only context in which they've ever encountered "opacity" is Photoshop and CSS, where they think it means "you can see it" and not "you can't see through it".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Are they investigating how to get ahold of him and give him a medal for looking so cool?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Push El Burrito posted:

Are they investigating how to get ahold of him and give him a medal for looking so cool?

It's New York; they want to find where he lives so they can shoot him literally dozens of times, requiring them to reload their guns to do so.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Psh- it's probably one of those lame Boring Company creme brulee torches-

:stare:

:flame:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just love the food truck guy acting completely unfazed by it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That looks like a liquid flamethrower so I'm amazed that he didn't kill anyone.

From the lack of smoke he's probably using something a bit lighter than normal flamethrower fuel.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
For anyone else who likes to party I recommend the xm42 flamethrower.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Saberspark/status/1328117840038273032?s=20

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/PhilipMichaels/status/1328852965067681793

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1328860098677121026

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/ovechkln/status/1328726634497798144?s=21

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

In case the above tweet doesn't show up correctly in your browser:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Thank you. I didn’t realize it was all messed up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Skwirl posted:

I'm in Seattle, which has lovely weather and just banned indoor dining again, so several bars have set up tents that have walls on three sides. If this was normal times and I went out to eat and asked to be seated indoors I would get pissed at the hostess if they tried to put me in one of those.

Unless they're triangular, they're not completely enclosed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tiggum posted:

Unless they're triangular, they're not completely enclosed.

The fourth side is mostly covered with an open doorway.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

There's a beautiful series of now-deleted tweets replying to this where someone insists that Guiliani's right because the only context in which they've ever encountered "opacity" is Photoshop and CSS, where they think it means "you can see it" and not "you can't see through it".

Like, I assume, a lot of people, I first encountered the word "Opacity' in Photoshop as a teenager. Since you only ever seek out the "opacity" slider when you want to make an item transparent, I can understand how you'd start to associate the word "opacity" with "see through things".

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

But that would mean ignoring that transparent = 0% opacity or not saying "I gotta turn the opacity down"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Horace posted:

Like, I assume, a lot of people, I first encountered the word "Opacity' in Photoshop as a teenager. Since you only ever seek out the "opacity" slider when you want to make an item transparent, I can understand how you'd start to associate the word "opacity" with "see through things".

Thinking legal terms will be exactly the same as your misunderstanding of photoshop terminology probably qualifies you to be Trump's attorney.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Rudy is charging* $20,000 per day for this poo poo, it would loving behoove him to know what the legal terms he's batting around actually mean.

*this carries no indication that he will be paid it, because it's Trump he's charging.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's gonna be pretty funny when Rudy finds out he isn't going to get paid

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

bowmore posted:

It's gonna be pretty funny when Rudy finds out he isn't going to get paid

Payment in exposure means I don't get any money?!?

A Small Beetle
Apr 15, 2006

Horace posted:

Rudy Giuliani was 45 years old when Photoshop was first released. In his case, senility is a more likely explanation.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Griefor posted:

Payment in exposure means I don't get any money?!?

Coincidentally, this is another thing that teens playing around with photoshop learn

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Memento posted:

Rudy is charging* $20,000 per day for this poo poo, it would loving behoove him to know what the legal terms he's batting around actually mean.

*this carries no indication that he will be paid it, because it's Trump he's charging.

I mean, if I was getting paid 20k a day, I would absolutely make more days billable by not knowing what anything means

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Knormal posted:

Are you suggesting hydroelectric dams are the mitochondrion of the lake?

The suction is so intense... NOT EVEN LIGHT can escape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jabberlock posted:

It's an Albany expression