Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm super excited to be moving away from 'small team, do everything' to an actual full-size enterprise and being on a team that does just a specific thing.

e: 5 more business days till first day at new job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Fool posted:

I'm super excited to be moving away from 'small team, do everything' to an actual full-size enterprise and being on a team that does just a specific thing.

I did that for a while but I just got dead bored working on the same things. Different strokes for different folks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mllaneza posted:

The shift from being "the IT guy" to being "a site technical lead" is remarkable. I have peers I can ask questions, a team that handles routine stuff, and a boss who will let me sit in the corner and come up with clever solutions. He also helps me yell at the team when they hit their PTO accumulation max. The big, enterprisey company overhead can get annoying sometimes, but I'd rather put in a ticket and wait a few days for some firewall ports to open than call a cab on a Saturday because I hosed up an iptables rule.

Once upon a time I had two staff, and it was nice. At this job I am technically head of I.T. for the company, including the I.T. departments of the companies we have purchased, but practically I am kept isolated from them and have no authority or influence.

That said yesterday I organized our first ever I.T. managers meeting so we could all chat without the bosses and other interlopers, and it was cool. I led the discussion but otherwise kept out of it and let them all talk about how they were doing dealing with the various lockdowns (we are now a global company) and share their current and upcoming projects. I think they enjoyed it. I intend to do this quarterly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

lament.cfg posted:

I’m sure the doctors think the same of the medical expert computer toucher
Doctors, lawyers, and academics have by far the highest prevalence of Dunning-Kruger. Which is not to say that it's uncommon among the computer touching crowd.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

e: 5 more business days till first day at new job

My thing is I get bored quickly. I’ve worked for companies who probably could have gotten away with just using an MSP.

Doing everything is fun, but you do a phone system every ten years, buy all new switches every ten years, update servers every three years if you’re lucky, upgrade exchange every five years...maybe you’ll be dragged into a facilities project like alarm systems, security cameras, or door access.

You have to hope for side projects that you can drag out for months. ERP systems, implementing things like HR or CRM software, that kind of poo poo.

But you almost always get stuck in a rut. A lot of companies don’t want to move to the cloud. So you’re stuck with on-prem systems. That AS/400 sticks around. Your skills start to deterioate.

You get flack for having a new job every three years but what else can you do?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

but what else can you do?

You can wear a loving mask.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Steakandchips posted:

You can just wear the loving mask, Bob.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Thanatosian posted:

Doctors, lawyers, and academics have by far the highest prevalence of Dunning-Kruger. Which is not to say that it's uncommon among the computer touching crowd.

The more specialized a person gets, the more inept they are at basic level things.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Johnny Aztec posted:

The more specialized a person gets, the more inept they are at basic level things.

Post/av disagreement.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's not even a matter of ineptness, it's a matter of not recognizing the ineptness. I don't know anything about cars, and I would never try to tell a mechanic how to do their job (I'm definitely inept at car mechanics), but that's fine, because that's why I go to experts; a lot of doctors, lawyers, and academics think "oh, I'm very smart, therefore I must know how best to do thing X, because I am very smart."

Definitely not universal, just ridiculously common.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
True intelligence is recognizing that we're all dumb AF.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Why do none of you guys with unlimited PTO take a year off or something?

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

MrLogan posted:

Why do none of you guys with unlimited PTO take a year off or something?

Haha it's not ACTUAL unlimited PTO. It's a way for companies not to carry any documented liability for vacation days, so that when they fire people they don't have to pay them for accrued vacation time. After all, if the PTO is unlimited, there's no reason to count it and making companies pay for "unlimited" PTO when firing people would obviously be completely unfair to the poor downtrodden corporation, so it just doesn't count and everyone's happy!

If you actually tried to use it in a meaningful way the company would fire you for completely unrelated reasons. And because it's the US, there would be precisely jack and/or poo poo you could do about it. So exactly how "unlimited" the PTO is basically depends on a combination of your manager, their manager(s), and the HR department.

Think of it in the same way as cellphone plans - unlimited until you hit the throttling.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Since it's at the discretion of the manager "unlimited" PTO is also used to reward the favored and punish the unpopular. I've seen people in the Cool Kids Club take off three months straight, while others have to fight for a week.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Since it's at the discretion of the manager "unlimited" PTO is also used to reward the favored and punish the unpopular. I've seen people in the Cool Kids Club take off three months straight, while others have to fight for a week.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study of how much PTO people with "unlimited" PTO take, broken down by race and gender? Sure would be interesting.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

gently caress me, speaking of wearing a mask, first positive COVID test in the office (that I know of) as of today.

From a new user who was literally in for just the first half of the day yesterday.

Who I spent ~5 minutes within six feet of, masked up, but I don't remember if they had a mask on or if I touched any of their poo poo.

So I don't know how much exposure I might have had, and if I did get exposed, how much exposure other people might've had to me.

I am mid-key freaking the gently caress out trying to find goddamn anywhere near me that has testing. Everywhere is loving booked up or their answering machine is full or...

gently caress me.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
My company went to unlimited sick time because studies show (at least in the case of sick time, and what studies I dunno but according to our HR anyways) you average half a day less per employee. I’m supposed to monitor it and sometimes we audit when people are excessive - but our HR does not give a poo poo if the days are evenly distributed and not always on Mondays/Fridays. I had a dude take 12 Monday’s/Fridays in a year off who wound up getting axed in a layoff because he was extremely bad at his job. The sick time ‘abuse’ didn’t wind up being a factor.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

gently caress me, speaking of wearing a mask, first positive COVID test in the office (that I know of) as of today.

From a new user who was literally in for just the first half of the day yesterday.

Who I spent ~5 minutes within six feet of, masked up, but I don't remember if they had a mask on or if I touched any of their poo poo.

So I don't know how much exposure I might have had, and if I did get exposed, how much exposure other people might've had to me.

I am mid-key freaking the gently caress out trying to find goddamn anywhere near me that has testing. Everywhere is loving booked up or their answering machine is full or...

gently caress me.

When I had a similar situation happen I went to a drive-through testing site. They were busy, but only had to wait about 40 minutes. Got my test results back a couple days later.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Thanatosian posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study of how much PTO people with "unlimited" PTO take, broken down by race and gender? Sure would be interesting.

According to this article, like 13% fewer days taken and a lot more email checking while you're out.

I know since I switched to a company with unlimited PTO, I've taken a lot less time off. Part of it is that having set vacation days sort of let me know that "ok, this is the normal amount of time for people to be taking off around here." Now, I have no idea what's the "norm" is or what's going to make my manager think I'm slacking off (he's chill, so I could probably ask for a month and not get flack about it)

To be fair, a lot of that can probably be chalked up to the fact that I'm also a WFH employee so I no longer feel the need to take time off just to get a break from being around coworkers. We also get the week between Christmas and the New Year as a freebie, which was typically about a 1/3 of my annual leave at my last job.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Fool posted:

When I had a similar situation happen I went to a drive-through testing site. They were busy, but only had to wait about 40 minutes. Got my test results back a couple days later.

Every single drive-through testing site near me requires an appointment and has none available for the next 3-4 days.

I haven't heard back from my boss as to what he wants me to do regarding self-quarantine until I can get tested.

Given that my job is one where I have to touch other people's stuff and be in the same general area as them, I am extremely not okay with risking their health. I guess I am going to just have to swap to telework as best I can and beg forgiveness if I have to.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dragonshardz posted:

Every single drive-through testing site near me requires an appointment and has none available for the next 3-4 days.

I haven't heard back from my boss as to what he wants me to do regarding self-quarantine until I can get tested.

Given that my job is one where I have to touch other people's stuff and be in the same general area as them, I am extremely not okay with risking their health. I guess I am going to just have to swap to telework as best I can and beg forgiveness if I have to.

Same poo poo here regarding testing. What I found when I had needed a test was that some urgent care places will open up new time slots at 8AM, so maybe check around for places that say that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bingo Bango posted:

According to this article, like 13% fewer days taken and a lot more email checking while you're out.

I know since I switched to a company with unlimited PTO, I've taken a lot less time off. Part of it is that having set vacation days sort of let me know that "ok, this is the normal amount of time for people to be taking off around here." Now, I have no idea what's the "norm" is or what's going to make my manager think I'm slacking off (he's chill, so I could probably ask for a month and not get flack about it)

To be fair, a lot of that can probably be chalked up to the fact that I'm also a WFH employee so I no longer feel the need to take time off just to get a break from being around coworkers. We also get the week between Christmas and the New Year as a freebie, which was typically about a 1/3 of my annual leave at my last job.

I'd really like to see a breakdown between men/women and white people/BIPOC.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

dragonshardz posted:

If it helps, MIT had a study that said that getting tested within 3-5 days of possible exposure can lead to false positives, so scheduling it out a few days from now might get you a more accurate test than if you went in right away.

e: MIT, not CDC

duffmensch fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 19, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

This definitely happened to me. My first manager was really nice and like "dude, just take all the PTO you need". I switched teams, got an rear end in a top hat manager who denied me to take 2 days for bullshit reasons because he was a dick who hated me.

I'm now at a new place with unlimited PTO, back with the first, nice, manager and he's super chill about me taking days here and there to cope.

In short, just wear the loving mask Bob.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No matter what your boss "wants" you to do, you need to self quarantine. You had direct contact with someone who tested positive and you have to assume you are positive until tests say otherwise or two weeks have passed with no symptoms.

Like, there isn't even a debate here, this is literally the basics of the pandemic response.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mine is "unlimited" as well, but it's "really" two weeks or so, but a few days here and there extra is whatever, the boss just says yes or no to it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We've got "unlimited" which means a bunch of the overworked salary people are getting like 1-2 weeks off, but I'm at 2 weeks after being here about 8 months and plan on taking another week after the holidays are over and then another around my 1 year anniversary.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bull3964 posted:

No matter what your boss "wants" you to do, you need to self quarantine. You had direct contact with someone who tested positive and you have to assume you are positive until tests say otherwise or two weeks have passed with no symptoms.

Like, there isn't even a debate here, this is literally the basics of the pandemic response.

The basics of pandemic response is irrelevant to company needs, you see.

So out you go, to spread the pandemic further.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Number go up.

Infection numbers or stock value?

Yes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We got an email the other day saying that if we got covid, there’s no way we could have gotten it at work so we have to use PTO if we miss work because of it. I’ll copy and paste it tomorrow.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Bob Morales posted:

We got an email the other day saying that if we got covid, there’s no way we could have gotten it at work so we have to use PTO if we miss work because of it. I’ll copy and paste it tomorrow.

Wow. HR and payroll setup a special fund to track COVID related absences so that it wouldn't hit people's sick time accruals and they wouldn't try showing up if they were sick. Going to have to remember to thank them tomorrow for not being sociopaths (at least in this case).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Couldn’t find the email but were a low risk facility because we prescreen and test weekly blah blah.

duffmensch posted:

Wow. HR and payroll setup a special fund to track COVID related absences so that it wouldn't hit people's sick time accruals and they wouldn't try showing up if they were sick. Going to have to remember to thank them tomorrow for not being sociopaths (at least in this case).

Over a month ago when I got it we were able to get two weeks. Not sure what changed.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

bull3964 posted:

I know, I just want the man to validate my decision.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Number go up.

Infection numbers or stock value?

Yes.

Thankfully I don't work for a business, so we ain't give no fucks about stonks.

E: I spent a fair amount of time today, before I found out about this contractor testing positive, deploying laptops to people so I'm worried about any accidental exposure they may have gotten from me.

I also want my boss to back me up on self-quarantining so that I can tell certain of my coworkers to suck it up when they take over a couple in-person service calls I'd scheduled for tomorrow, again before knowing about poo poo.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 19, 2020

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dragonshardz posted:

E: I spent a fair amount of time today, before I found out about this contractor testing positive, deploying laptops to people so I'm worried about any accidental exposure they may have gotten from me.

Something similar happened to me and I had the same fears, so I’ll say to you what someone said to me.

There is nothing you can do about it now, so don’t beat yourself up worrying about it. You didn’t know you had anything to worry about at the time, and you have acted ethically and responsibly since the moment you’ve found out. These things happen, and most likely everyone’s going to be just fine. You acted correctly from start to finish, so please don’t worry about things that are not your fault. You are human like the rest of us, and you can only act on information if you know about it in the first place.
Be calm, self isolate, and get your test result. It’s a scary thing, and your feelings of fear and concern are absolutely valid. With luck you’ll all be OK and it’s just a scare. No matter what happens, you are not at fault for any of it.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 19, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

That'll be fun when people feel a little flu-y and come in anyway so as not to use sick leave.

And then infect literally everyone because apparently they can sit at their desk and not wear a mask while coughing and exhaling in general in a close space with air-conditioning.

Wear the loving mask, Bob.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Bob (wear your mask) don't you work for a hospital or mental health facility or something? And they're saving its impossible their employees in a Healthcare facility couldn't catch it at work?

Like, it's extremely dumb and will cause outbreaks from people coming to work sick but that's like, especially dumb.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Bob Morales posted:

Couldn’t find the email but were a low risk facility because we prescreen and test weekly blah blah.

Over a month ago when I got it we were able to get two weeks. Not sure what changed.

Hey Bob have you actually started wearing your mask all day at work or do you still think that's paranoid poo poo for sheeple?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bob Morales posted:

They are aware patient zero works for them right?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm between a rock and a hard place. In theory if people can work from home, they should. In practice, our place of work doesn't have a WFH culture at all so when genuine examples of people who could go home appear, management don't back it for fear of all the people that just accept the culture and sit there going "ner ner ner why did ~team member~ get a laptop" etc.

So we have ~team member~ who could work from home but only has a desktop PC. This person also doesn't work for my site, they are just based here but report to head office, so I've been told not to charge anything to my cost centres for them.
~team boss~ asks for a laptop and is aware we have standby laptops for anyone who has to be sent home (we have barely touched them due to culture I mentioned)
In reality, it wouldn't be an issue, but because ~team boss~ is difficult, it has not been authorised by the CEO.

My reply was - give me a cost centre, if I order one you can have one of mine.

~team boss~ either doesn't like this answer or can't get budget approval - instead of replying "ok" they said they really need a laptop because people are coming into the building without masks and it's a risk to her team so they should go home (ffs, bob!) which caused the CEO to say we just need to manage the mask issue they should be on at all times, etc.

A week passes, no cost centre, email from the HR director, who is ~team boss~ 1up boss. "I understand this decision, what do I need to do to make it happen, is it just a cost centre you need?" - yes please

A couple more days pass, still no cost code - ~team boss~ is back and now saying can ~team member~ move for a day as the water main burst and there is no water so no one can wash hands, if they had a laptop they could go home

The water was due to go back on in an hours time, as per the comms at the time (and it did)

I can't tell if they don't have budgetary approval (it would be unusual not to) or if the ~team boss~ throwing in random half reasons that can be solved with non-technical solutions (wear a mask, go get some hand gel / bottled water from facilities) is causing resistance somewhere

The bit that pisses me off is ~team boss~ seems to think this is me being obstructive, but they are becoming known as a difficult customer across the business so I'm sure it isn't reflecting on me. I totally get that this person should be working from home but it's just mad how we have all failed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Bob (wear your mask) don't you work for a hospital or mental health facility or something? And they're saving its impossible their employees in a Healthcare facility couldn't catch it at work?

Like, it's extremely dumb and will cause outbreaks from people coming to work sick but that's like, especially dumb.

Good luck coming up with a way to prove exactly where an infection came from! Because without that any complaints or lawsuits are dead in the water.

Hospitals are just as hosed up as everyone else, they don't give one poo poo about their employees because all that truly matters is keeping the revenue coming in.