Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So for those of you who have a better grasp of civil-military relations than I do: what’s the significance of this?

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1329065639881879557

Without knowing the details this is most likely more about how SOCOM communicates with DOD on its unique "service like" man, train, equip authorities under Title 10 during the POM cycle and for reporting readiness metrics. Most likely this means that SOCOM will communicate it's spending and readiness plans directly to DOD vice vetting them via service processes.

I very much doubt that this is a change to the current operational C2 structure in place where SOF operates via the COCOMs with the CJCS as the "global integrator". You folks may have forgotten that McRaven actually pressed the Obama Administration hard on giving SOCOM full operational control of SOF forces globally and was more of less soundly rebuffed by all levels. Even with the chaos in DOD during this lame-duck Trump period I'm hard pressed to believe that SOCOM's C2 structure is on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

PookBear posted:

don't officers in socom rotate back to non SOF units after O-4?

I know that this does happen, not sure when. Knew an O5 SF dude who was a battalion commander for a bunch of pogs, because he needed command time and there are only so many slots for those in USASOC.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

But that's not what stood out.
No, what stood out is a group of rioters breaking through a police barricade with a loving grand piano.
https://twitter.com/dap_dortmund/status/1329036279221264385

:laffo:

lmao. This is why Berlin is for sure in my top 3 favorite places in the world.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Trump now emptyquoting himself

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/265905510115590144?s=19

From the wrong election

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

ManMythLegend posted:

Without knowing the details this is most likely more about how SOCOM communicates with DOD on its unique "service like" man, train, equip authorities under Title 10 during the POM cycle and for reporting readiness metrics. Most likely this means that SOCOM will communicate it's spending and readiness plans directly to DOD vice vetting them via service processes.

I very much doubt that this is a change to the current operational C2 structure in place where SOF operates via the COCOMs with the CJCS as the "global integrator". You folks may have forgotten that McRaven actually pressed the Obama Administration hard on giving SOCOM full operational control of SOF forces globally and was more of less soundly rebuffed by all levels. Even with the chaos in DOD during this lame-duck Trump period I'm hard pressed to believe that SOCOM's C2 structure is on the table.

This was my take - Special Ops is an ASD under OSD-Policy. And of course SOCOM is a CCMD reporting to the SECDEF directly already. I would assume SOCOM is the special ops global integrator (and CJCS/Joint Staff is the 'everything' global integrator) CYBERCOM is the cyber global integrator, for example. (see JP 3-12). I'm not as familiar with the special ops world.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

RFC2324 posted:

Big problem nowadays is a lack of available old growth, we cut it all down in the 1800s to make wooden ships(among other things) so what we have left is pretty protected. Remember, it takes decades to grow a tree tall enough for a big ship

I remember a news story a bunch of years ago about one of the Scandinavian countries fulfilling an order the British Navy made at some point in the 19th century because thats how long it took for the trees to grow to become usable in building a ship. My memory of the details might be a bit off if it actually happened.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Judge in PA case gave Trump an extra day to file his new motion for preliminary injunction. They still have two pleadings due today in the next 20 minutes.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

SlightlyMad posted:

Since the people who don't even believe Covid-19 is a real thing are 100% Trump cultists and are also the most likely to be infected through lack of adherence to basic pandemic precautions, you have to start wondering how many times bigger the death count will be compared to Jonestown. These are people too ignorant to realize they've drank the Kool-aid, or think that poison recommended by el Presidente is good for you and have been brainwashed to the point that their dying words are along the lines of "Covid ain't real!".

If someone does a demographic study of Republican Fox-news watchers overlaid with the death toll from the pandemic, there should be quite a bit of overlap. Echo chambers are a hell of a drug. I wonder what kind of withdrawal symptoms those folks would get if their bubbles were burst by reality? Let's say the tech giants started actually mixing in real news and evidence among the usual bs they consume on social media? Ah, who am I kidding? The vast majority of them are so far up Donald's rear end they can tell what he ate for breakfast by taste and smell. :gop:

This unfortunately ignores the community spread nature of COVID-19 when it is diffuse throughout the US. Of course the less mask mandated areas are being hit worse but it isn't instant karma where assholes who loudly shout about masks being for sheep are the ones that die. It's going to kill random adjacent people just as easily as it will actual chuds who have it coming.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

maffew buildings posted:

Probably sets up for a lot of infighting with services being pissed to have control of their SOC units not being directly reporting. Theoretically it could develop more autonomy and flexibility for SOCOM to develop and execute plans by not getting hamstrung by some dude with a hard on for nonsense and stars on their shoulders but when the gently caress has the DoD done anything like this correctly?

Giving the president direct war powers. 😎

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

I know that this does happen, not sure when. Knew an O5 SF dude who was a battalion commander for a bunch of pogs, because he needed command time and there are only so many slots for those in USASOC.

So in SF getting command is highly difficult so you will see a lot of people cycle back after their detachment commander time. Smaller SOF forces don’t have the same level of Manning so you’ll get an O4/5 broadening opportunity if you fight for it, but it’s difficult given the number of SF dudes who don’t have a home. I know in PSYOP we almost never cycle to the force unless you’ve hosed up. We have too many open jobs within our own organization and ARSOF as a whole to fill that going to the force is super difficult.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

lightpole posted:

The old wooden ships needed the right type of tree in the right length for masts and keel. I think the USN or whoever dragged the live oak out of the swamp for one of the first six frigates lost a bunch of men in getting it. My assumption is that new types of processed wood may make it usable again however processing usually eats into how green it is.

Related, but the Navy maintains a private white oak forest in Indiana specifically so they have wood on hand to refit the USS Constitution.

https://taskandpurpose.com/mandatory-fun/constitution-grove-indiana-navy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

not caring here posted:

Dickhead of Behind Enemy Lines fame and ferocious trump toady Scott O'Grady got appointed to a senior defense position and immediately got mad at a dude on twitter

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/pe...BNudI4fncfyCCmg

I thought he preferred pilots who didn't get captured

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'd love a breakdown on the career path of members of rangers/sf/delta, specifically how many transferred from a regular unit versus enlisting straight into rangers/sf

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

When I was in basic I was told that 18Xs have more success in the SF pipeline than people from traditional like units because of whatever poo poo they do right after airborne school.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

PookBear posted:

I'd love a breakdown on the career path of members of rangers/sf/delta, specifically how many transferred from a regular unit versus enlisting straight into rangers/sf

While I can’t give actual numbers, Ranger regiment is almost all dudes who took option 40 contracts outside of the officers. It is very hard to go from the 82nd or 101st with a tab to regiment. The exception is low density MOS, but combat arms it’s super difficult.

SF has a decent number of 18x contracts, especially now that it was made into an actual pipeline instead of an opportunity to go to SFAS . The majority still come from line units though.

Can’t speak for the SMUs since I’ve never worked with them. For delta the talk has always been a 75/25 split for Ranger Regiment and SF, with the majority of SF guys coming from 3rd and 5th, but that’s all rumor as far as I know.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

shame on an IGA posted:

I thought he preferred pilots who didn't get captured

To be fair, grady didn't get captured, he was just an idiot

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Flikken posted:

Didn’t someone do an effort post on all of the things he did wrong that could have gotten him shot by the Marines who rescued him? Like I seem to recall he ran at the heli with his pistol out?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Flikken posted:

Can someone breakdown or detail how exactly O'Grady is an idiot or hosed up after he ejected?

Like the only thing I had told to me was that he hosed up by running towards the Super Stallion without IDing himself and he almost got shot as a result, but beyond that, I am clueless and would genuinely like to know more. I read his book as a kid and hated finding out later that he was a complete shithead and chud to boot.

Didn’t someone do an effort post on all of the things he did wrong that could have gotten him shot by the Marines who rescued him? Like I seem to recall he ran at the heli with his pistol out?

Yeah that's the one detail I remember from his book and thinking even at the age of 11 "Wow, that's a terrible idea".

But if someone has that effort post, namaste.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

DurosKlav posted:

I remember a news story a bunch of years ago about one of the Scandinavian countries fulfilling an order the British Navy made at some point in the 19th century because thats how long it took for the trees to grow to become usable in building a ship. My memory of the details might be a bit off if it actually happened.

This sounds hilarious but none of my googling shows anything.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My dad is a retired SF COL that joined SF in the mid 80s and his generation seem to all favor the unconventional warfare/foreign internal defense mission and my dad has mentioned steering his more direct action focused subordinate officers towards Delta. Despite being a pure SF officer he deployed to Afghanistan with JSOC so he's got a lot friends throughout the SOF community, of the Delta guys he's friends with they mostly seemed to be Rangers with only a couple with SF experience.

My dad continued working as a contractor for SOCOM after his retirement and he's mentioned being concerned with SF placing too much of a priority on direct action over UW/FID though that was in the early 2010s, my dad is fully retired now.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I was at Bragg, rumor had it CAG was Ranger Heavy, along the 75/25 someone else mentioned

That was rumors, though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
You know what's probably not a good legal move?

Signing the judge's name to your motion without his approval.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1329212850087321605

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mustang posted:

My dad is a retired SF COL that joined SF in the mid 80s and his generation seem to all favor the unconventional warfare/foreign internal defense mission and my dad has mentioned steering his more direct action focused subordinate officers towards Delta. Despite being a pure SF officer he deployed to Afghanistan with JSOC so he's got a lot friends throughout the SOF community, of the Delta guys he's friends with they mostly seemed to be Rangers with only a couple with SF experience.

My dad continued working as a contractor for SOCOM after his retirement and he's mentioned being concerned with SF placing too much of a priority on direct action over UW/FID though that was in the early 2010s, my dad is fully retired now.

I’d read your dad’s book if he wrote one.

My buddy who was in SF really liked his FID deployments in West Africa, but didn’t seem to care much for Afghanistan. I’ve never heard him say anything good about ANA but I suppose that’s not exactly an outlier opinion.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

This is ringing a bell other than the British part, but I can't find it either.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Only tangentially related but it reminded me that there’s a bond issued in the 17th century that’s still pointy out.

https://news.yale.edu/2015/09/22/living-artifact-dutch-golden-age-yale-s-367-year-old-water-bond-still-pays-interest

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

I’d read your dad’s book if he wrote one.

My buddy who was in SF really liked his FID deployments in West Africa, but didn’t seem to care much for Afghanistan. I’ve never heard him say anything good about ANA but I suppose that’s not exactly an outlier opinion.

My SF buddy who admittedly is pants on head broke brained loved the Commandos and translators, hates the regular guys though.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So Aussie have just released a report based on a 4 year-long investigation into a bunch of their SAS committing war crimes in Afghan, and holy gently caress it's bad. All sorts of executions, planting weapons, "blooding" new troopers by having them execute prisoners. There's video that got leaked by journalists of a patrol Scout executing a dude lying on the ground. Some real Navy Seal poo poo.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-report-alleges

e]
Frustratingly it's mostly being dumped on the patrol commanders and sergeants, despite there being multiple interviews with soldiers who state unequivocally that it was reported to the hierarchy who basically ignored it.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 19, 2020

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Xenoborg posted:

It would make sense, they basically cleared the UK by 1800 and the strategic value of Scandinavia was enormous.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1329226683719831566

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

This is criminal, surely?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So Aussie have just released a report based on a 4 year-long investigation into a bunch of their SAS committing war crimes in Afghan, and holy gently caress it's bad. All sorts of executions, planting weapons, "blooding" new troopers by having them execute prisoners. There's video that got leaked by journalists of a patrol Scout executing a dude lying on the ground. Some real Navy Seal poo poo.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-report-alleges

e]
Frustratingly it's mostly being dumped on the patrol commanders and sergeants, despite there being multiple interviews with soldiers who state unequivocally that it was reported to the hierarchy who basically ignored it.

Aren't the SEALs and AUS SAS pretty tight with each other as communities?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This is criminal, surely?

Nah. It's a proposed order filed as one - but it isn't going to make a judge happy.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Mustang posted:

he's mentioned being concerned with SF placing too much of a priority on direct action over UW/FID though that was in the early 2010s, my dad is fully retired now.

This is a pretty common complaint among the pre GWOT era SOF community I’ve heard. I think the whole 4BN for groups made the want for being a DA cool guy larger.

That being said, Jade Helm was run by a bunch of your dad’s peers(albeit mainly mainly former team sergeants) and was an absolute poo poo show so I’m not convinced they were as good at it as they make themselves out to be. It was unequivocally the worst training exercise I’ve ever done, and I used to be in a chemical unit.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm kinda glad that I gor hurt when I did.
I was planning on attempting selection when I hosed myself up.
I really wanted to do the old school FID poo poo, but it seemed like that was getting pushed aside as I was getting out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. It's a proposed order filed as one - but it isn't going to make a judge happy.

i specifically meant the signing the judge's name part, isn't that forgery or something?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenoborg posted:

I believe this is a story about Visingso in Sweden. During the nineteenth century a big tract of the island was planted with oak trees for future shipbuilding, then 150 years or so later the trees were ready but the Swedish Navy had no use for them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

"Just go ahead and sign it. No one will catch it." :smugdon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Just go ahead and sign it. No one will catch it." :smugdon:

I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.

"Rudy said they used to do it all the time in New York, signing stuff then getting the judge to actually sign it later." :smugdon:

Rudy: :stare:

(No, no one's said this...yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Nuclear War posted:

This sounds hilarious but none of my googling shows anything.

drat, I swear it happened but maybe it was just my imagination.

EDIT:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I believe this is a story about Visingso in Sweden. During the nineteenth century a big tract of the island was planted with oak trees for future shipbuilding, then 150 years or so later the trees were ready but the Swedish Navy had no use for them.

Actually I believe this was it. The article I read about it was probably 10+ years ago so my facts were mostly off.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 19, 2020