Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
That's just because Rowling couldn't figure out how to work cleverer magic in to the story, it does get mentioned regularly. Look at transfiguration for example, turning an inanimate object in to an owl, conjuring a live snake out of thin air, swapping objects' positions.. there's plenty of interesting magic just off camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

TheAardvark posted:

That's just because Rowling couldn't figure out how to work cleverer magic in to the story, it does get mentioned regularly. Look at transfiguration for example, turning an inanimate object in to an owl, conjuring a live snake out of thin air, swapping objects' positions.. there's plenty of interesting magic just off camera

True, most of my memories are of Harry himself who is canonically a terrible student. How he graduates on the strength of like three spells is astounding, kind of like if a physics student managed to get a master's degree by mostly remembering "force=mass x acceleration" and not much else.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheAardvark posted:

The final films are really loving bad about this. All the magic just becomes blasting each other with gun spells.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

True, most of my memories are of Harry himself who is canonically a terrible student. How he graduates on the strength of like three spells is astounding, kind of like if a physics student managed to get a master's degree by mostly remembering "force=mass x acceleration" and not much else.

Harry is actually canonically supposed to be a really good student, the problem is that we're only told that and what we're shown is him learning like two or three spells on his own and then copying everything else from Hermione.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Good/talented wizard. Terrible student.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dordreff posted:

Harry is actually canonically supposed to be a really good student, the problem is that we're only told that and what we're shown is him learning like two or three spells on his own and then copying everything else from Hermione.

A point I've been saying since I first read the books Hermione does all the work, learns all the spells, and Harry just...well, look at it this way. Harry knows he has to go on a quest to find he soul jars of the greatest wizard ever. Does he prepare in any way? Learn some new spells or something? Nope.

Lupin tells him they will be encountering magic they've never seen before or even contemplated but Harry makes zero effort to improve himself whatsoever.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Harry realises early on that advanced magic is only useful for stupid twee nonsense and you can do 99% of what's needed with "bring that here", "let go of that" and "gently caress off" spells. Why would you want to pour gravy out of your wand, just yell "accio bisto!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If I have to explain to you why shooting streams of gravy out of your wand is desireable I have no faith that communication with you is possible.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I was very specific in my language here to avoid that precise reply.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That takes time, I need gravy now! :btroll:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

I was very specific in my language here to avoid that precise reply.

I don't see how.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You know, I still feel like there was a missed opportunity for the “neither can live while the other survives” part of the prophecy. Namely, having it be a whole thing where as they go on destroying the Horcruxes (if not sooner), it starts sinking in for Harry that that means that he’s quite probably going to have to very deliberately kill Voldemort, which starts gnawing away at him in a “I’m becoming more and more like him” sense.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

CainFortea posted:

I don't see how.

Ah poo poo, uh, uh

Expelliarmus!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Personally I think that trope is awful and I'm glad Rowling didn't use it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Regalingualius posted:

You know, I still feel like there was a missed opportunity for the “neither can live while the other survives” part of the prophecy. Namely, having it be a whole thing where as they go on destroying the Horcruxes (if not sooner), it starts sinking in for Harry that that means that he’s quite probably going to have to very deliberately kill Voldemort, which starts gnawing away at him in a “I’m becoming more and more like him” sense.

if you want to see that, just watch any episode of post 2000 dr. who in which the doctor feels bad about hating the daleks and decides that saving the universe from genocidal evil is exactly like being genocidal evil somehow

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Order of the Phoenix: the worst evil in the world is painless instant execution
The Order of the Phoenix: will dessicate your living flesh and then shatter your body

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Regalingualius posted:

Harry was quite willing to murder Voldy as an 11 year old. Why would that change?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Hermione is the real hero of the franchise it's just a shame she ends up with Ron and not on some Auror watch list after sparking off a goblin revolution.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hermione goes on to be the head of Magical Law Enforcement because we need to hit all the various flavors of cop.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Harry is that kid you knew in HS that never studied, kept forgetting there was homework due, and drew doodles instead of taking notes but still somehow got solid B's because they had just enough natural intelligence to skate by as long as the subject matter was low level. The kind of person who - if they go on to university - either washes out or recognizes that once you get beyond basic 101 poo poo that's not enough unless you're a mega genius and actual effort needs to be put in.

I have a hunch at what type Harry would ultimately be.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

VanSandman posted:

Harry was quite willing to murder Voldy as an 11 year old. Why would that change?

He decides in book 7 that killing is never acceptable, even killing nazis, luckily voldy kills himself so he never has to content with the implications of this choice.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

reignofevil posted:

Hermione is the real hero of the franchise it's just a shame she ends up with Ron and not on some Auror watch list after sparking off a goblin revolution.

I'm on book 4 of my re-read and Hermione has yet to feel like a decently written character who deserves respect. Even now, Jo is presenting stupid poo poo like, "Oh you hate the house-elf slavery but you're still eating food from the Great Hall? Ha. Guess you aren't that determined."

Shrieking Cast podcast brought up some pottermore list saying that that the Time Turner chapter was Hermione's best in the series. YIKES. I'd hate to think it's all downhill from there.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I liked the part in the podcast where they got the end of book 4 and realised that SPEW doesn't even fizzle out, it just stops halfway through the book and no-one mentions it again.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

if you want to see that, just watch any episode of post 2000 dr. who in which the doctor feels bad about hating the daleks and decides that saving the universe from genocidal evil is exactly like being genocidal evil somehow

That would mean watching something from the British, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hermione has to spend a lot of time as a plot device/exposition character to keep the story moving along, so she doesn't get that much space to actually breath as a character outside her superficial traits of being the clever straight man. Harry is the POV character so we get a ton of his inner thoughts to inform his character and Ron has an ongoing inferiority complex issue with both his brothers and Harry that he struggles with through basically the entire series until he symbolically over comes it by rejecting the locket's vision and destroying it. With Hermione though almost everything loops back around to school work or her intelligence. The house elf thing is interesting and a lot more could have been done with it but that plot mostly gets dropped after OotP outside of a mention or two per book, usually as a gag.

She does get a somewhat interesting mini-arc in the sixth book where she's clearly hurt by Ron dating Lavender, and for once Hermione is actually written her age and resultingly doesn't know how to communicate her emotions over the whole thing properly. Which leads to her doing stupid hormonal teenager stuff like siccing her magical bird companions on Ron or inviting a guy she knows is a colossal blowhard out on a date because he's conventionally attractive and she hopes it'll tick off Ron.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Like 90% of what people remember of Hermione is headcanon and liking grown-up Emma Watson

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Regalingualius posted:

I guess statistically speaking, killing Hitler does make you Hitler.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

I guess statistically speaking, killing Hitler does make you Hitler.

I mean, no argument that Voldy had earned his fate a thousand times over, though it could have still held some weight for Harry.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Sydin posted:

Harry is that kid you knew in HS that never studied, kept forgetting there was homework due, and drew doodles instead of taking notes but still somehow got solid B's because they had just enough natural intelligence to skate by as long as the subject matter was low level. The kind of person who - if they go on to university - either washes out or recognizes that once you get beyond basic 101 poo poo that's not enough unless you're a mega genius and actual effort needs to be put in.

i'm in this post and i don't like it :colbert:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

GodFish posted:

He decides in book 7 that killing is never acceptable, even killing nazis, luckily voldy kills himself so he never has to content with the implications of this choice.

Killing Nazis is no good for Harry. Now mind-controlling and torturing them? That's fair game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I forget: McGonnagal never even so much as lightly rebuked Harry, let alone chewed him the hell out for using Cruciatus on the guy who spit on her, right?

broke: using magical torture powers to try to get information from your target
woke: using magical torture on a guy for the crime of being a prick to an authority figure

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really is all just the english upper class

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

If Harry had used any spell—literally any iother spell—that scene would have worked. Having him torture one of the Carrow with Cruciatus and getting told he's noble for trying to protect McGonagall's dignity is quite weirdly offputting, especially since we've been told by Bellatrix that the Cruciatus only works properly if you really mean it and want the other person to suffer.

Regalingualius posted:

I forget: McGonnagal never even so much as lightly rebuked Harry, let alone chewed him the hell out for using Cruciatus on the guy who spit on her, right?

broke: using magical torture powers to try to get information from your target
woke: using magical torture on a guy for the crime of being a prick to an authority figure

Yeah, it's not like her back was turned or she was knocked out. She literally saw and heard harry use one of the Unforgivables, and Harry's excuse for using it was about as cop as you can get.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The easy answer is that Harry Potter is a loving psycho - which is perfectly understandable if you assume that he is a child soldier on war footing. Teenage boy, told he's the most special and important boy after growing up in an abusive house hold? Given incredible powers and loads of money?

That's not a recipe for making any kind of altruist.

So either Jo Ro is a better writer than you'd ever give her credit for or she has full on loving brainworms and this is just "the way things are". It is ofc the latter.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

Nah, that's not quite Harry. He does study plenty, but it's usually only ever enough to get through the tests, and then it exits his brain.

There are a few times when he really put his nose to the grindstone to really learn something, and then he actually grows as a person and learns skills that really stay with him long-term, but for the most part, his education doesn't do him any favors.

Although it's not like we see the adults being thankful for anything they learned in school either; school is more of a trial to overcome than an experience to make you better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He spent a frankly absurd amount of time studying and writing essays compared to me in school, even with the stuff he doesn't care about, I'll say that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

The easy answer is that Harry Potter is a loving psycho - which is perfectly understandable if you assume that he is a child soldier on war footing. Teenage boy, told he's the most special and important boy after growing up in an abusive house hold? Given incredible powers and loads of money?

That's not a recipe for making any kind of altruist.

So either Jo Ro is a better writer than you'd ever give her credit for or she has full on loving brainworms and this is just "the way things are". It is ofc the latter.

After a long, unfulfilling career, Harry abruptly quit his post and left the wizarding world entirely, taking on a new muggle identity: John Galt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although it's not like we see the adults being thankful for anything they learned in school either; school is more of a trial to overcome than an experience to make you better.

MikeJF posted:

He spent a frankly absurd amount of time studying and writing essays compared to me in school, even with the stuff he doesn't care about, I'll say that.

again, literally just a british boarding school

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

VanSandman posted:

He doesnt even hesitate in the movie. As soon as he realises his touch burns Quirrell he just grabs his face. Ice cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

amigolupus posted:

If Harry had used any spell—literally any iother spell—that scene would have worked. Having him torture one of the Carrow with Cruciatus and getting told he's noble for trying to protect McGonagall's dignity is quite weirdly offputting, especially since we've been told by Bellatrix that the Cruciatus only works properly if you really mean it and want the other person to suffer.

In fairness Bellatrix is a complete psychopath.