Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
as someone who really enjoys MoS and BvS, in this essay I will prove to you that Superma----

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm so tired of hearing about these stupid movies

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

There's a good gag about it in the new Animaniacs show.

Tour guide: "And on your left is the set where we filmed Batman..."
Crowd: *excited* "Ooooo!"
Tour Guide: "...v. Superman."
Crowd: *disappointed* "Oh."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

David D. Davidson posted:

You know reading this makes the Justice League sound incompetent.

As opposed to the Theatrical Cut where the League fight Steppenwolf a few times and decide they need to go grave robbing (complete with literal "going to graveyard with shovels in the middle of the night") to raise Superman so he can do this.

Hell even in the final scene in the theatrical version, Superman basically does all the work. (Once again taking it's influence from Final Crisis.)

That reminds me of the script for the Jack Black Green Lantern film where in the end he realizes that he can make anything with his Green Lantern ring. So uses it to make Superman to fix everything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's a good gag about it in the new Animaniacs show.

Tour guide: "And on your left is the set where we filmed Batman..."
Crowd: *excited* "Ooooo!"
Tour Guide: "...v. Superman."
Crowd: *disappointed* "Oh."

Ha! Well done new Animaniacs.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Seemlar posted:

It's not "Superman should smile more" it's "Superman shouldn't look like he can barely stand performing even the most minor acts of heroism"

It does not help that the theatrical cut removed all content that even slightly humanized him and showed his motivations in the movie, leaving him not only looking miserable and unheroic, but also over the top belligerent for no reason at all. He's the villain of the theatrical cut despite Batman being borderline unhinged.

It's interesting. A lot of people found Superman in BVS came off as sociopathic. From what Zack Snyder has said in interviews and such, that was certainly not his intention. But if I was him I would investigate why it is so many people came away with that impression. Obviously the film is undeniably very poorly written, and doesn't really invite the audience into Superman's head space or give him a strong point of view/perspective at all really. It seemed like there was a great opportunity to examine Clark's relationship to the end of Man of Steel, and examine his feelings of guilt. Except the MOS events don't even seem to bother him that much, nor does the disaster in the desert, he's very dismissive to the fact people died when Lois brings it up. He really only seems distressed that people are giving him a hard time on the television about it. That I think is distancing to the audience.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 24, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The worst part is that Henry Cavill is, like, charisma personified. And that does manage to come through in the films, but it’s 100% in spite of the writing, not because of it. In the hands of a decent storyteller, Cavill’s Superman could easily have become the new standard to beat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Uh, he screamed after he killed Zod. What more do you need?!?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He should have reloaded his arms during a fight.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The problem is that Cavil isn't as good at the physical kind of acting that say Ryan Gosling or Tom Hardy is good at where they hardly need dialog for their characters. Maybe if they had a proper Jimmy Olson or handled his relationship with Lois differently that would have worked a lot better.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
A scene that doesn't get mentioned too often but really stood out to me in rewatches is the final conversation between Clark and Swanwick, which begins with Clark fuckin throwing a giant hunk of metal at two people which misses them by a handful of yards. They...literally could have died? On the one hand, sure, yaas Antifa King! Stick it to The Man!...? On the other hand though...it's such a bizarrely aggressive, threatening gesture towards people whom you're ostensibly trying to get to trust you. All for the crime of not wanting to get killed by more aliens I guess.

It further illustrates the only method by which Snyder can envision his characters interacting with others: through shows of force, shows of violence and intimidation from scowling musclemen who don't speak or understand any language other than fear and animosity.

And yes, it gets to the point of making him a completely unsympathetic character, capping off in the entire Batman confrontation where even the most stubborn of men ought to be begging on his knees for help to save his mother but I suppose this one in particular would, like, literally just die if he showed any emotion beyond than anger and machismo to anyone.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 24, 2020

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This is just one man's opinion, but upon recollection I gotta say that nearly every character in every Zach Snyder film I've seen comes across like aliens who have only had human behavior and emotions broadly described to them. I dunno if it's the writing or direction or what, but everybody has a weird uncanniness to them.

I won't make any quality judgments about it (alienation is the entire philosophy of Brecht's work and people love that guy), but I will say it certainly seems like a decision

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He's said he doesn't like "normal" comics, because there's no gore or sex, which is why he gravitated towards Watchmen.

Then there's this quote:

Zack Snyder actually said this posted:

Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. "Batman’s dark." I’m like, okay, "No, Batman’s cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.

So was Batfleck a victim of sexual assault?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/lukegranders/status/1330952459607535618

People love to ask Gunn 'well how would YOU know?' on things he's working on.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dawgstar posted:

Death of the author!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I think the guy was joking, but Gunn took it all in stride.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BrianWilly posted:

A scene that doesn't get mentioned too often but really stood out to me in rewatches is the final conversation between Clark and Swanwick, which begins with Clark fuckin throwing a giant hunk of metal at two people which misses them by a handful of yards. They...literally could have died? On the one hand, sure, yaas Antifa King! Stick it to The Man!...? On the other hand though...it's such a bizarrely aggressive, threatening gesture towards people whom you're ostensibly trying to get to trust you. All for the crime of not wanting to get killed by more aliens I guess.

The thing to me about that scene was if it had been Superman, Lex Luthor and Mercy it would have been perfect.

Superman showing that Lex's attempt at surveillance aren't as suitable as he thinks and that if he tries to strong arm Superman it will go badly and that he should just try being friendly instead.

I always felt that scene was intended to have Lex (or even just a high ranking employee) instead of the military.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the guy was joking, but Gunn took it all in stride.

Certainly possible, but it's happened so often.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't mean this as any kind of target call out, but it really bums me out that "Superman should be friendly and smiling" is a hot take worth burying with sarcasm. I know you can interpret these characters in thousands of different valid ways, but I do think you can Ship of Theseus your way out of some of them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

I don't mean this as any kind of target call out, but it really bums me out that "Superman should be friendly and smiling" is a hot take worth burying with sarcasm.

It’s not a hot take at all. It’s just that a common cheap, stupid Internet debate tactic is to take your opponent’s valid criticisms and, rather than actually engage with them meaningfully, just restate them sarcastically as though they’re ridiculous on their face and not worth addressing.

“sUpErMaN sHoUlD sAvE pEoPlE”

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Superman should do one of two things: be the nicest, friendliest guy in the world who saves everyone

Or: be a young, pissed off leftist who beats the poo poo out of slumlords and strike busters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the second thing?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

What's the second thing?
Smile

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

What's the second thing?

I never said they were mutually exclusive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dawgstar posted:

I cannot tell you how much it saps my lifeforce to see Snyder fans in the replies trying to troll James Gunn because they're still mad his movie might ruin the DCEU by not being garbage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just watched Brightburn and its very "meh" but I really want to see the movie in the credits about a twisted Snyderverse starring Michael Rooker as Alex Jones.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I just watched Brightburn and its very "meh" but I really want to see the movie in the credits about a twisted Snyderverse starring Michael Rooker as Alex Jones.

Yup, that tease was better than the actual movie.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dawgstar posted:

I love posts like these where someone tries to explain a concept to a person who happens to be a leading expert on that concept. But it's extra funny when said expert is a big-name director instead of an obscure scientific genius. :newlol:

This was probably meant as a joke, but either way it got a laugh out of me.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DRMovieNews1/status/1331710827498328064

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WB has announced the global release dates for WW84

quote:

Wednesday, December 16 — Belgium, Bulgaria. Egypt, Estonia, France, Greece, Holland, Iceland, Indonesia, Portugal, South Africa, Switzerland, United Kingdom

Thursday, December 17 — Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Mexico, Middle East – Other, Nicaragua, Panama, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates

Friday, December 18 — China, East Africa, Japan, Nigeria, Spain, Vietnam

Wednesday, December 23 — Austria, Germany, Korea

Thursday, December 24 — Hungary, Slovenia

Friday, December 25 — Canada, Colombia, Finland, India, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden, Venezuela, United States

Saturday, December 26 — Australia, New Zealand

Thursday, December 31 — Argentina

Thursday, January 7 — Ukraine, Uruguay

Friday, January 8 — Philippines

Thursday, January 14 — Azerbaijan, CIS Others, Czech Republic, Kazakhstan, Russia

Friday, January 15 — Romania, Turkey

Thursday, January 21 — Chile, Peru

Friday, January 22 — Poland

Thursday, January 28 — Italy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did anyone tell them we don't even have open theaters here?

...Actually I bet Alberta does.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I wonder if they'll have the nerve to complain that no one went out and saw their movie.

Or if they'll trumpet the fact that it was #1 in the box office after pulling in $9000.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Did anyone tell them we don't even have open theaters here?

...Actually I bet Alberta does.

They're open in BC. I don't think anyone is going but by God they're open

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

I wonder if they'll have the nerve to complain that no one went out and saw their movie.

Or if they'll trumpet the fact that it was #1 in the box office after pulling in $9000.
AMC was advertising private advanced screenings of Croods 2 for the low price of $150

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

AMC was advertising private advanced screenings of Croods 2 for the low price of $150

You get the entire theater if you do this though, to be fair.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

$150 to rent a theater actually sounds like a steal. Like if you had a dozen friends you could trust to social distance you could go watch a movie and scream at each other in a weird pandemic social outing. I guess you'd still have to trust the theater to be clean. I'm not sure I love theater enough to do it, but if some friend called me with a plan I might not be able to resist the possibility of leaving my home and seeing friends safely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's the Croods. The $150 is what they charge to unlock the doors to let you out once the movie starts.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

They're open in BC. I don't think anyone is going but by God they're open

You can even rent out an entire theatre for you and 10 friends (please ignore government guidelines that says all indoor social gatherings are prohibited).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Hey, man. I rented a theater for a private screening so we can all get together, social distance, and watch a movie together to stay sane."
"That sounds kind of awesome. Just having a reason to get out of the house and see you all safely sounds so wonderful. What are we watching?"
"The Croods 2."
"Uh... I may have something to do that night."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

STAC Goat posted:

"Hey, man. I rented a theater for a private screening so we can all get together, social distance, and watch a movie together to stay sane."
"That sounds kind of awesome. Just having a reason to get out of the house and see you all safely sounds so wonderful. What are we watching?"
"The Croods 2."

"I have the coronavirus!"