Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Of note - this is not related to the decision from saturday where the judge spent 37 pages dragging his nuts across Rudy's face. This is because the SCOTUS declined to revisit the 4-4 case from before the election re: accepting mail in votes after the election.

I may have something for you, for comedy's sake:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1330957039204327428

it appears that Allegheny County filed a motion of "that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just lol that Vice is the investigative source.

"We interrupt this marathon of shows about :420: to bring you this story..."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nonzero chance that the Senate flips Democratic (50-50) because NBA players made such a loving stink that the team owners had to start offering up their stadiums as voting locations.

https://twitter.com/sarah_k_spence/status/1330953073594871808

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

Nonzero chance that the Senate flips Democratic (50-50) because NBA players made such a loving stink that the team owners had to start offering up their stadiums as voting locations.

https://twitter.com/sarah_k_spence/status/1330953073594871808

If dems flip GA I will buy five NBA jerseys before the end of next season.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

Amazon has a facial recognition service that they pulled for one year. Partly because ICE and other agencies were going to be using it for projects like that. Congress grilled them on it. The ACLU ran some testing with it using head shots of Congresspeople. Using a database of 25,000 mugshots, none of which were members of Congress, and they get 28 false positives. Given the sheer number of comparisons, that still worked out to 99% accuracy. As a tech, facial recognition tends to suck rear end. Camera placement for it has to be different than normal because of the angles you need. It's a bit like flying cars in that yes, I can make a car that is capable of being a car and a plane but doing it in a way that scales fails miserably.

Amazon wasn't alone in creepy facial recognition projects. Microsoft and IBM also withdrew their products from law enforcement use. Given Microsoft's partnering with NYPD, it was a matter of when and not if, it would come out they were doing unethical poo poo.

Edit: And by pulled, I mean they revoked law enforcement access to it. The products are still available to everyone else.

I just got done procuring a surveillance system for my job to check some government regulatory check boxs and it just comes with facial recognition stuff that was decently accurate if you fed it a database of employee face pictures. Like we tried various ways of screwing with it just to see if we could, and pretty much we'd get a match unless we covered our faces some how. We then decided that we didn't need such tech and disabled that feature.

edit: Although some of us did some theorizing on making a program that would use the cameras API alert system to alert all of us when C Suite people would come into our region so we can stop forums posting for a few minutes, then covid hit and suddenly it didn't even matter.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 23, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CBJSprague24 posted:

"We interrupt this marathon of shows about :420: to bring you this story..."

Eh, vice media vs vice news. Same pile, different garbage.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woofer posted:

Buy me the lithuanian basketball jersey please

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1330964425323503619

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

I just got done procuring a surveillance system for my job to check some government regulatory check boxs and it just comes with facial recognition stuff that was decently accurate if you fed it a database of employee face pictures. Like we tried various ways of screwing with it just to see if we could, and pretty much we'd get a match unless we covered our faces some how. We then decided that we didn't need such tech and disabled that feature.

edit: Although some of us did some theorizing on making a program that would use the cameras API alert system to alert all of us when C Suite people would come into our region so we can stop forums posting for a few minutes, then covid hit and suddenly it didn't even matter.

My facility spent waaay too much money implementing a system to do automated temperature checks and it does disturbingly well at 1: being trained entirely on pictures of people wearing masks and 2: identifying people wearing masks

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
WSJ has Janet Yellen for Secretary of Treasury. The more I think about it, the better I think the pick is. She was reportedly passed over for renomination at the Fed because Donnie thought she was too short.

And in other news, one of Donnie's two legal wins just got reversed (per above tweet):

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1330967240645222403

I absolutely cannot figure out what the vote count was. I think it was 4-3, or 5-2, or some weird poo poo? Woof.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Isn’t that 1 win a bullshit victory that didn’t actually get them anything?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Woofer posted:

Isn’t that 1 win a bullshit victory that didn’t actually get them anything?

Yep! The one that got reversed just now was a bit more meaty, that other win was more of a technicality type. I don't even remember what it was for, that's how insignificant it was.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/Greg_Palast/status/1330936074764308482

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

Yep! The one that got reversed just now was a bit more meaty, that other win was more of a technicality type. I don't even remember what it was for, that's how insignificant it was.

Iirc it was the judge ruling that yes, both parties had a legal right to have people watching the count

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Wow it’s like the 19th century again. Except instead of land it’s cars!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Woofer posted:

One of them needs to be George Hill, preferably from when he was on the Milwaukee Bucks (he was traded after the season). Hill was the catalyst for the Bucks basically walking out the playoff game and sending the NBA into a holding pattern for a few days when this was all hammered out.

Sterling Brown, also with the Bucks, was racially profiled and harassed on camera by the Milwaukee cops in 2018. Then he was tased and arrested for being at a Walgreens while black. Brown just settled his lawsuit for $750k, and a vow to change police procedures. :jerkbag: But the cops didn’t get much more then remedial training and a week or two suspension. It’s not great, but probably the best that he could have gotten. :shrug:

Another player, as much as I hate to say it, should be LaBron James who has consistently and regularly promoted BLM causes for years. He has also been a major proponent of pushing the union as a political force.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I appreciate that the Right saw all those posts about how both parties are the same and decided to really up the fascist policy points to help Americans differentiate between them and the Democrats

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I love how this has just been purestrain incompetent fuckups from the get go but Rudy still claims he's worth 20k a day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

WSJ has Janet Yellen for Secretary of Treasury. The more I think about it, the better I think the pick is. She was reportedly passed over for renomination at the Fed because Donnie thought she was too short.

And in other news, one of Donnie's two legal wins just got reversed (per above tweet):

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1330967240645222403

I absolutely cannot figure out what the vote count was. I think it was 4-3, or 5-2, or some weird poo poo? Woof.

It was unanimous except for minor quibbles by a few judges on ancillary points. The primary thrust, that missing addresses and dates on signed envelopes do not render a ballot invalid.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Midjack posted:

Which was just a PR stunt since the hypothetical company “New York Pants Decorators” can buy it and then turn around and provide it to whoever they want.

Having worked for and with them a couple times, MS at least is pretty big on the whole "corporate responsibility" thing and making sure people who do business with them follow their policies.

At least domestically

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

qtiyd

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Nystral posted:

One of them needs to be George Hill, preferably from when he was on the Milwaukee Bucks (he was traded after the season). Hill was the catalyst for the Bucks basically walking out the playoff game and sending the NBA into a holding pattern for a few days when this was all hammered out.

Sterling Brown, also with the Bucks, was racially profiled and harassed on camera by the Milwaukee cops in 2018. Then he was tased and arrested for being at a Walgreens while black. Brown just settled his lawsuit for $750k, and a vow to change police procedures. :jerkbag: But the cops didn’t get much more then remedial training and a week or two suspension. It’s not great, but probably the best that he could have gotten. :shrug:

Another player, as much as I hate to say it, should be LaBron James who has consistently and regularly promoted BLM causes for years. He has also been a major proponent of pushing the union as a political force.

I love to watch Lebron lose but I’ll be damned if he isn’t a good rear end dude. I already have one of his jerseys so I might get another color.

George Hill is definitely one of my top ones.

I remember hearing about Sterling Brown getting profiled. I’ll consider his as well.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Content: The number of people who've tried to dunk on me for "having" a confederate flag as one of my tags is a number greater than zero. It's pretty funny whenever it happens.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Content: The number of people who've tried to dunk on me for "having" a confederate flag as one of my tags is a number greater than zero. It's pretty funny whenever it happens.

Link pls

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

George Hill was my favorite bench player on the Bucks for both his political stances and also being a good team asset, sucks to see him go.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nystral posted:

Link pls

One was an angry PM but it was pretty funny (They were very mad that I gave them a sixer). The others I can't be arsed to dig up cause it's in one of the D&D megathreads and I'm phone posting right now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I guess if you have a phone app or browser set not to auto play gifs you can get the wrong idea but it’s still pretty great.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The fact that anyone thinks SA would have or allow a confederate flag gang tag in 2020 is kind of funny.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GSA woman was supposed to report to the House this morning as to why she hasn't signed the letter authorizing Biden's people to begin transition from the Trump administration. She sent an email saying that she can't come due to technical difficulties but her deputy would brief them next monday. They are not pleased with the answer and said this in response:
https://twitter.com/GerryConnolly/status/1330966805595254784

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

sharknado slashfic posted:

The fact that anyone thinks SA would have or allow a confederate flag gang tag in 2020 is kind of funny.

A few months ago we thought that the wife abusing former owner of the site wasn't going to sell and was going to revenge ban everyone who ever spoke negatively of him and that many of the mods were going to cover for him.

It was not completely outside the realm of possibility.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Michigan will officially be done any minute. 3-1 vote for certification.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1330987541915426821

Edit: We've officially corrected our mistake. Sorry for the last four years y'all. 3-0.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1330988508035637256

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 23, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Your experience is one where you aren't dealing with some of the scaling issues. If your employee database is 500 people and you get 500 of them coming through the door each day, you are running 250,000 checks a day. With an accuracy of 99.9997% (Amazon's tested rate) you'll get a fraction of one error a day. When you scale that up to the ACLU test on Congress, using a pool of 25,000 mugshots, you get 28 false positives. If you start checking 500 people against a million photo database then you start getting 1,500 false positives.

As for how to gently caress with facial recognition there are some quick, simple ways to do this. First, don't pass the paper bag test. Amazon has some of the highest claimed rates for recognition and they struggle badly with people who have darker skin tones. Second is tilting your head. Changing the angle the camera sees you at tends to drop off accuracy. Changing the lighting conditions can help. People who are backlit tend to not get detected because their face tends to be shadow. Hats, sunglasses and beards will reduce confidence as the number of pictures increases. So for 500 employee photos, confidence might go from 80% to 50%. How okay that is tends to depend on the operators. Also, keep in mind that there are a couple of different scenarios and the accuracy varies wildly between them. Cameras placed at roughly head height where the user has to look directly at them produces dramatically different results than a camera mounted at the more normal 10 to 12'. The requirements tend to be pretty high, with about 100 pixels per foot. The lower the count, the lower the accuracy gets. The differences in lighting will make this even worse. This later scenario tends to be where people get worried.

But my favorite way to gently caress with them is to see what systems fail liveness detection. Which is, can the system distinguish between a photo and a person. The one Real Networks (Yes, they of the buffering, this is like their tenth pivot since then) uses is to demand people smile. The change in the face is what they look for. Given that their biggest market is schools which tend to skew heavily female for employees feels like some sexism writ large. Other options are things like IR mapping, using dual cameras to look to see if something is flat, and some machine learning stuff looking for breathing and lip movements.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Shoot this straight into my veins: https://www.thedailybeast.com/black-rifle-coffee-was-maga-royalty-until-it-turned-on-kyle-rittenhouse?ref=home

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Handsome Ralph posted:

The first time I saw my gangtag, I was definitely a bit :kstarehair: as it spends maybe a second too long on the flag before it starts burning. I can also see there being folks who have trouble parsing the message.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I made the website https://www.mugshotpy.com where you can compare your face to a database of mugshots like in that ACLU experiment. It’s probably a fair deal less robust than commercial applications but it is kinda scary how easily it leans towards a positive result.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Fragrag posted:

I made the website https://www.mugshotpy.com where you can compare your face to a database of mugshots like in that ACLU experiment. It’s probably a fair deal less robust than commercial applications but it is kinda scary how easily it leans towards a positive result.

Right now the commercial players mostly use their own engines for this. A lot of the police department doing mugshot searches are using homebrewed applications. So you probably are doing a better job.

There are a gently caress ton of issues around this stuff. Like Amazon claiming 99.9997% accuracy. Which is true but that's not true for each photo I request a search on. But for each photo that is checked against. So with scaling issues you either accept a lot of false positives or accept a lot of false negatives. I know which ones cops will pick. And I know they will parrot that claim to a jury on a photo the system had less than 50% confidence on. You also have people pitching this for access control, which is a completely different set of issues.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao: https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/us/man-arrested-trump-golf-club/index.html

I live about three miles from the president's favorite golf course and this fuckface was proudly no-masking at the nearby Chipotle a few months ago when I picked up a burrito there.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Welcome to the resistance BRCC

Also what the hell company is this paragraph talking about?

quote:

A third right-wing coffee brand is now gunning for BRCC’s customers, promoting stickers that advocate throwing communists to their deaths from helicopters, and patches mocking the corpse of a man Rittenhouse killed. The brand earned an endorsement from the Proud Boys after it released a statement lauding Rittenhouse on Sunday.

When a Twitter user accused the company of revealing “fascist views,” the brand account replied, “We were never in hiding sweet cheeks.”

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love that Trump is worse then either the entire NFC East combined or any individual team in said division...purely by the number of wins he has and any team in that division has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Internet Wizard posted:

Welcome to the resistance BRCC

Also what the hell company is this paragraph talking about?

I mean they're right. They never were in hiding