Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Avirosb posted:

The basebuilding in the " first new" X-Com sucks because I suck at it and it's not fun.
Also, the way that game is paced and how promotions work, it seems I need to stick to a select elite force and not get any of them killed, ever.
I haven't played the older games but from what I've seen, you're kind of expected to lose quite a few people in those.

Unless you were ironmanning the OG Xcom you'd still reload when one of your better soldiers died, the game let you save in combat so of course people used that. It is more forgiving of a super soldier dying though since you could take 20+ dudes on each mission instead of 4-6 or whatever it is in the newer ones.

Caesar Saladin posted:

its crazy how Blizzard ripped of Warhammer Fantasy and then a few years later ripped off Warhammer 40k. Once I understand, but twice?

Isn't Blizzards whole shtick delivering polished rippoffs of other games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lurker2006 posted:

I played halo for the first time since adolescence and was dreading this very thing, and for the most part it really wasn't that big of a deal. The game's so linear that you can just muddle your way forward and be fine, it's not the ridiculous labyrinth I imagined.

yeah that level is just boring and repetitive, not hard or confusing

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really loved xcom 1994 and xcom 2012 but havn't been able to find the time to play xcom 2, should i?

It was well received, but I could never get into it like Enemy Unknown. The procedurally generated levels lacked charm and it didnt do anything really new. The "gently caress you" was turned up to 11.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It's been a real dry spell for games recently but I do have a few recs

I played a game called Foregone that's a "roguelite" metroidvania and pretty decent. Good challenge.

I played Graveyard Keeper for the first time. Seems pretty fun but I keep hitting bottlenecks in advancement that really irritate me.

I beat Resident Evil 3 remake, it was fine.

Bridge Constructor: Walking Dead is a pretty drat decent construction simulator in the vein of Poly Bridge 3 or When Ski Lifts Go Wrong.

Glass Masquerade 2 is literally a game where you put puzzles together but it works and is fun.

Also played a couple decent 3d platformers in Pumpkin Jack and A Hat In Time

i just realized ive never not played a single game that wasn't an rpg. such a huge realization that i HAD to go triple negative

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Caesar Saladin posted:

its crazy how Blizzard ripped of Warhammer Fantasy and then a few years later ripped off Warhammer 40k. Once I understand, but twice?

In writings by people who actually worked on it, they claim that "warcraft" was designed as a series of games based around various real historic wars, and that orcs vs humans was a last minute coat of paint on their medieval game for marketing reasons and the story about the being a rebranded warhammer pitch is made up.

Starcraft being a rip off of 40k is undeniable though.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

It was well received, but I could never get into it like Enemy Unknown. The procedurally generated levels lacked charm and it didnt do anything really new. The "gently caress you" was turned up to 11.

I thought I'd hate the cheating bosses and "gently caress you" setups, but instead had fun trying to puzzle out how best to use all my dudes special abilities to take everyone out in one round. It made it much more of a strategy game where you're planning out resource usages than the traditional tactics style though.

Haven't played the addon yet, just the base game +DLC.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its also well known that Diablo rips off the lore from a much earlier game Super Noahs Arc 3D

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vandar posted:

Which LoL characters are based on Battle Chasers characters?

Blitzcrank, Miss Fortune, Garen and Ezreal?

If it was any one of them, or if they're been released spaced apart id think it a coincidence, but, all four at roughly the same time?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I think I'd call Tactics Ogre my favourite game ever.

It's very much up there for me. I listen to the soundtrack of the PSP version all the time when working.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this discussion made me want to play xcom 2 during slow times at work today but lmao it’s still sixty loving dollars on Steam

im 99% i have it from like two years ago on PS4 for the low low price of free but I can’t imagine playing it with a gamepad

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
XCOM2 goes on very steep steam sales regularly, and there's probably a black friday sale in like two days so you've got the hankering at the right time I'd say.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

food court bailiff posted:

this discussion made me want to play xcom 2 during slow times at work today but lmao it’s still sixty loving dollars on Steam

im 99% i have it from like two years ago on PS4 for the low low price of free but I can’t imagine playing it with a gamepad

Fwiw the gamepad works very smoothly on the new xcom games

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I loved XCOM EU because it felt so novel and fresh, and especially seeing how I only had console at the time there was really nothing else comparable to play. I think I played through it like 4 times. XCOM 2 was enjoyable but I burned out before even finishing it because it kind of just felt like more of the same.

I kind of want to return to it and check out all of the stuff they added, but I'd mostly just rather play RPGs like DOS or Wasteland that have similar combat but actual exploration in between. Also the RNG in XCOM is really loving annoying and can make it feel like luck matters as much as strategy, and poo poo like Overwatch is overpowered as hell. It's still a cool series but I just feel like there is other stuff out there now that scratches the same itch but is more appealing.

I read the main XCOM guy jake Solomon actually felt like they could learn a thing or 2 from Mario Rabbids, so hopefully they take into account that other people have done the same style of game but less annoying and shake things up for XCOM 3.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

EU and XCOM 2 were both great but I eventually got tired of the whole 'uncover a new tile at anything but the optimal time = kiss your rear end goodbye' mechanic and I don't have any desire to play them again because of that. I totally got my money's worth out of the games, but I hope they come up with something better next time around.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

EU and XCOM 2 were both great but I eventually got tired of the whole 'uncover a new tile at anything but the optimal time = kiss your rear end goodbye' mechanic and I don't have any desire to play them again because of that. I totally got my money's worth out of the games, but I hope they come up with something better next time around.

That's what really drags down the recent XCOMs for me, I feel like I have to plan every move I make primarily around not exposing hidden tiles except at the start of my turns. It starts becoming the overwhelming focus on my mind and it breaks the series for me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I will never undertake the people who say starcraft was a 40k rip off outside of the obvious zerg/tyranid art stuff. Because the rest is bog standard space western stuff that 40k doesn't do.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aren’t the Starcraft Space Marines literally just 40k space marines?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

veni veni veni posted:

Aren’t the Starcraft Space Marines literally just 40k space marines?

Not really? Outside of the oversized pauldrons (also seen in other media) there's no resemblance. One are super-soldiers of total fanboy perfection with stylized weapons/cqc weapons, the other are total fodder with a normal rifle. Otherwise how many other ways can you protray an armed & armoured space soldier? (apart from the pauldrons)

Media influences each other all the time. Zerg/Tyranid is fairly obvious; Protoss/Eldar you kinda have to squint at, but sure; but the Starcraft marine is a pretty drat long cry from Starship Troopers.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Literally? No. They're not bio engineered or superhuman outside of the suit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
but they are blue

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are blue dudes with cartoonishly huge armor.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Reading about the emperor from W40K does kinda remind me of Blizzard's role in gaming though.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

so starcraft "space marines" aren't a copy of warhammer "space marines" because they aren't genetically engineered *enough* and also they have guns and not space sabers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's kinda weird. Everything about the Terran military evokes Imperial Guard, but in a universe where space marines don't exist, but the infantry look like space marines while having the quality of guardsmen.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

appropriatemetaphor posted:

so starcraft "space marines" aren't a copy of warhammer "space marines" because they aren't genetically engineered *enough* and also they have guns and not space sabers

I mean... yes? Unless you're saying that term "space marine" is now trademarked and copyrighted and so forth to mean only one thing, which not even GW implies since it's 100% derivative from the novel. Go get a random artist to draw a 'space marine' of original design, and it'll hold as much similarity to the GW one as the Starcraft one does.

It's an armed dude who's navy is spaceborn. The similarities end there.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

They are blue dudes with cartoonishly huge armor.

this is absolutely the main thing that matters, you can argue about minutiae all you want but like

just look at them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
who loving cares but also I'll side with Starcraft since it at least tried to tell an interesting story with stakes whereas 40k is the most pointless and derivative stuff you can imagine

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
warhammer 40k is a sequel to issac asimovs Foundation novels. the ultimate failure of psychohistory, defeated by orcs

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it’s pretty commonly accepted by those in the know that the only reason gw didn’t sue blizzard is that it would point out how generic most of their supposed trademarks are, something that they’ve only recently started to remedy (try buying a box of 40k “space marines” these days, they’re all “adeptus astartes” now for reasons remarkably parallel to this)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Play posted:

who loving cares but also I'll side with Starcraft since it at least tried to tell an interesting story with stakes whereas 40k is the most pointless and derivative stuff you can imagine

40k is silly and funny, starcraft tries to actually be serious and it comes off eyerolling and boring

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The dirty bit is that most of GW's designs aren't remotely original either; both the Zerg and Tyranids borrow hugely from Aliens after all, the former especially obvious in the cutscenes, and the Starcraft Marines are more Colonial Marines from the same movie, with added power armour.

The Protoss are slightly more on the original side of things, aside from curved tech, psychic powers and a lot of beige they aren't that much of the Eldar or Tau. Bit of Space Elf stuff going on but not that much relatively.

The real funny thing with RTSes is that Command and Conquer was originally basically a Dune II knockoff, but it could easily be considered a blatant rip of GI Joe and Cobra.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Caesar Saladin posted:

40k is silly and funny, starcraft tries to actually be serious and it comes off eyerolling and boring

40k fans literally coined the term GrimDark, about how over the top serious it tries to be. You have to go back a long, long way to find where WH Fantasy didn't take itself seriously.

otoh, while 40k canon is full of War and Serious Business, the fans never seemed to have trouble making light of things.

---------------------------

Un/popular video game opinion: GW's video game adaptions are almost always trash/disappointing, avoiding them is a good bet.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Serephina posted:

Un/popular video game opinion: GW's video game adaptions are almost always trash/disappointing, avoiding them is a good bet.

There's so god drat many video games about Warhammer 40k. I played one. Super cool atmosphere and setting, but it wasn't very fun.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Space marines and orcs seem like such broad things it seems it'd be hard to copyright. It seems like copyrighting that would be like copyrighting doctors or dogs.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oh dope posted:

There's so god drat many video games about Warhammer 40k. I played one. Super cool atmosphere and setting, but it wasn't very fun.

I bought Space Hulk (1993) thinking it was a Doom clone in an incredibly cool setting only to find that it wasn't even a Wolf3D clone. Oh for the days when you could unbox a game, install it and then return it for cash on the barrelhead. :corsair:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Serephina posted:

XCOM2 goes on very steep steam sales regularly, and there's probably a black friday sale in like two days so you've got the hankering at the right time I'd say.

the lowest it’s ever been on sale for is $15 as far as I can tell but the switch version with all(?) the dlc is apparently only $20 right now, and if I’m not playing it with a mouse then I figure a handheld is my next best choice

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
didnt the tyranids get a redesign after starcraft released that made them look more like zerg?

also when playing halo i just pistol whipped my way through the flood because it would just blow up everything in my view it was a super easy game

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Can never find that sketch that's a protoss guy but it's from before starcraft and done by someone unrelated.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think everyone should play Heroes of Hammerwatch. Yes it’s not new but it is pure strain fantasy rogue lite dungeon crawling, and I am terribly upset I didn’t play it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

jokes posted:

I think everyone should play Heroes of Hammerwatch. Yes it’s not new but it is pure strain fantasy rogue lite dungeon crawling, and I am terribly upset I didn’t play it sooner.

My friend got me in to this but I always feel like a tagalong in our parties and I play it so sporadically I forget how the upgrade and purchase system works EVERY TIME.

It is real good though.

I basically blunder in to every loving thing and die and have to get resurrected and it's embarrassing.