Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kanine posted:

what are some fun lovely star wars knockoffs ala "starcrash" and "battle beyond the stars" that my friends and i can make fun of over zoom

Ice Pirates and Black Hole immediately come to mind

Flash Gordon isn't strictly a knock off but its real fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kanine posted:

what are some fun lovely star wars knockoffs ala "starcrash" and "battle beyond the stars" that my friends and i can make fun of over zoom

Space Raiders, Space Hunter: Adventure in the Forbidden Zone, and probably Ice Pirates.

Krull as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Davros1 posted:

Space Raiders, Space Hunter: Adventure in the Forbidden Zone, and probably Ice Pirates.

Krull as well.

Oh man, I remember watching Krull when I was a kid, but I remember nothing about it now, other than the spinning dagger thing itself, and the giant cyclops being crushed to death between two walls, and that being terrifying.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Kanine posted:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
also Galaxy of Terror but it's notable for a certain :nws::nms: scene.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

That’s a 2001 knockoff.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There's a good little clutch of these films at the top of this page: https://letterboxd.com/darrenfx/list/i-loving-love-star-wars-the-most-comprehensive/page/2/

Hawk the Slayer is a fun one that hasnt been mentioned yet

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kanine posted:

https://twitter.com/weirdlandtales/status/1103005134857097218

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZrPYrGXIF8

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Message from Space is really good and has the original bb8

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just watch mobile suit gundam

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

you spelled 'legend of galactic heroes' wrong.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey folks i know this is a hot topic with a lot of potential for slap fights but, whats a good order to watch Star-Wars with my kids? They're five and seven and we started with episode IV and V. They loving love that poo poo so we are gonna watch VI probably this weekend. But what do we do after that? Episode I-III? And after that they could probably get into that Clone Wars TV show.
I feel like the new trilogy is a bit much especially for the five year old.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Episode III will be kind of heavy for a five year old since it ends with you know, a whole bunch of them dying, but yeah thats where I'd go next.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
IV->V->VI-> The Last Starfighter-> I->II->III-> Wrath of Kahn

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

you spelled 'legend of galactic heroes' wrong.

Split the difference and watch Voltes V.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm vaguely planning to show them to my son (when he can actually sit through a movie) staggered, 1>4>2>5>3>6. It feels like that'd preserve a bit of mystique, you see the Republic first and then the Empire and it's like "ooh what happened to the Republic" and then you get the Imperial March at the end of episode 2 and the start of episode 5, which would be neat, and Darth Vader being Luke's father is an epic twist which I'd prefer to keep secret as long as possible. Of course he'll probably get it from Lego Star Wars well before then

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Stairmaster posted:

Ok, you want me to fry you up some latkas? Spin you a fuckin menorah?

Edit: wrong thread but literally all of you understand

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Throw some samurai films in the mix, Kurosawa made some great ones:

Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, Ran, or Kagemusha would all fit well with a Star Warsey viewing session.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

IV-V-VI-I-II-III seems the most natural to me, though I've heard good arguments made for IV-V-I-II-III-VI, which you can do now. The Clone Wars cartoon is good to watch at any time, but probably better after at least having seen The Phantom Menace, both of which conveniently are better for a younger audience, especially in comparison to Revenge of the Sith.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think number order (I-II-III-IV-V-VI) seems like it'd be good for kids, assuming they're mature enough to be able to deal with the bad stuff that happens especially in Episodes 2 and 3. That is partly because I'm curious to how they'd react to Anakin and kindly old Palpatine turning evil, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

Of course he'll probably get it from Lego Star Wars well before then

Yeah that's how my daughter is experiencing a lot of it.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Anyone who watches them for the first time ever in a different order than they were released is ruining their experience.

Completely ruins one of the most monumental moments in cinema.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

we started with episode IV and V. They loving love that poo poo so we are gonna watch VI probably this weekend

Youre at a pretty good stopping point already

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

"No Luke Skywalker, I am your father" isn't really the twist boomers make it out to be. It's predictable, dull and I have no respect for it. imo, it's dwarfed by twists like the end of R1 where all the principal characters are killed off and we switch to secondary ones for the last bit. Or the twist in Phantom Menace where Qui Gon dies. That blew my mind as a child.

Hell, the twists so far of Mando are even more impressive.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Lampsacus posted:

"No Luke Skywalker, I am your father" isn't really the twist boomers make it out to be. It's predictable, dull and I have no respect for it. imo, it's dwarfed by twists like the end of R1 where all the principal characters are killed off and we switch to secondary ones for the last bit. Or the twist in Phantom Menace where Qui Gon dies. That blew my mind as a child.

Yea it's mega lamo. Totes boring. The films with the pacing of Crash Bandicoot are much superior.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Anyone who watches them for the first time ever in a different order than they were released is ruining their experience.

Completely ruins one of the most monumental moments in cinema.

They're not ruining their experience, they're just having a different experience than the one you look back fondly to from your own childhood. I didn't have that experience either - or at the very least I don't remember it. (I also don't rate Empire Strikes Back anywhere near as highly as others seem to. The original film is far superior, and the prequels more inventive.)

E: Also, if you're talking about adults, I'd be genuinely shocked if you managed to find one who cares to watch Star Wars and doesn't already know the twist through cultural osmosis.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 27, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My friend a few years ago was 27 and asked “wait is Vader lying?” When I showed him the movies for the first time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

I miss contrarian takes like this.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yea it's mega lamo. Totes boring. The films with the pacing of Crash Bandicoot are much superior.
You laugh but I feel Star Wars is best when it's using the same tropes as video games. I can't find the quote here but the other day I was reading extracts of J. G. Ballard and he talked about Star Wars being best when it's one event after the next with no mind to the overall plot. And I'd agree. Why do the planet splatters laser beams reach across the galaxy? Ugh,, etc. etc. Just enjoy the show maaan! It'd be a lot cooler if you did.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the advantage of watching in episode order is that rotj suddenly gains a lot of suspense because it's very believable that luke could turn to the dark side like his father, and the twist is that anakin turns on the emperor at long last.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lampsacus posted:

You laugh but I feel Star Wars is best when it's using the same tropes as video games. I can't find the quote here but the other day I was reading extracts of J. G. Ballard and he talked about Star Wars being best when it's one event after the next with no mind to the overall plot. And I'd agree. Why do the planet splatters laser beams reach across the galaxy? Ugh,, etc. etc. Just enjoy the show maaan! It'd be a lot cooler if you did.

the end result of this philosophy is rise of skywalker

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lampsacus posted:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

My friend a few years ago was 27 and asked “wait is Vader lying?” When I showed him the movies for the first time.

Well, I'm at least happy I didn't say I'd eat my hat. Not very nutritious.

ungulateman posted:

the advantage of watching in episode order is that rotj suddenly gains a lot of suspense because it's very believable that luke could turn to the dark side like his father, and the twist is that anakin turns on the emperor at long last.

I think this is a very good point. Also adds a bit of context to the Palpatine/Vader relationship. In the OT there's not really much meat on the bones there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think everyone knows the line but the context is missing.

Like the sled in citizen Kane. You know rosebud but you don’t know what it is or what it means.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Roll a dice six times, and watch them in that order. Yes, this means you may watch one movie several times and don't watch others at all.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

OT: One fun imaginative experimental Scifi film that really only holds as anything more than a cool looking but ultimately cliche basic space romp with top notch direction, and some cool-for-1977 special effects that look like poo poo now (The Jabba scene sticks out ridiculously bad, he looks nothing like in return of the Jedi and the whole scene is just filler, restating the preceding scene, that should have been cut.

A cute, charming retro matinee that mainly only holds up for very young children, and nostalgia addled adult children

Followed by a sequel with just enough of the rosy cheeked optimism drained from the tone and story of the first that it appears comparatively more dark and mature than the original, which is very impressive to a child, or an adult who lives their life and centers their tastes around the worship of that dead childhood sensation, and who, along with the other nerds all psychically networked to a aggregate collective unconscious inner child or something, psychically and spiritually reshaping art and society into a machine to wrap them up in a warm blanket of filthy nostalgia, that’s incidentally a brand new blanket but designed to look retro, maybe an overpriced collector’s reissue of some poo poo they had as a kid.

Also just a big dumb space chase where some girlboss podcaster or wannabe cocaine activist rich girl and her sex rapist boyfriend can’t get the car to work. Not as well directed as the first one. Even though it’s less goofy, the pacing is hella saggy in the middle, the plot is less cliche and derivative but they replace that with just a mess of going over here, going over there until it’s time for the story structure to make them go to the cloud place.

The muppet guy was alright. Still, the sequel remains a (less) cute and (less) charming matinee. For people who already saw the original and are assumed to be invested in the next one, cause it doesn’t stand on its own to start, and it ends on a cliffhanger after a 110% rear end-pull of a twist that serves no point to the film or the narrative beyond setting up a bullshit arbitrary mystery to sucker people into seeing the inevitable next one. Also, despite its reputation amongst the emotionally stunted as “dark” and somehow better (the beginning of another obnoxious trend that would form its own endless heck loop), it doesn’t even have the guts to build on the promising but underdeveloped “Hot drat it was badass when the Viet-Cong would kill or blow up American Soldiers back in ‘Nam gently caress America Hooray for the Enemies of America” political element of the first one

The Return of the Jedi brings back the Yay Vietcong Boo USA aspect, but in a way that’s beyond embarrassing and offensive to the brave Irl not actually plush funko pop teddy bear pig things, the actual brave people who lost their lives to push back against the Satanic Violence of the United States/TechnoCapital.

The CGI had also not improved much since 1977 if the presciently cringey musical number by the Max Reno band, who somehow never managed to have a hit despite being in such a huge movie. Anywho, the rest of it sucks too and it feels like a rich guy in a marathon sauntering languidly towards the finish line desperate to be over with it, but weighed down with too much money to get there at anything but a kind of annoying slightly frustrating pace.

Now, with the hard part out of the way.

You don’t need me to tell you the Prequels are Good Actually and represent a genuinely creative and personal work, where a film maker who is frequently accused of revolutionizing cinema, returns to tell a story he wants to tell about Fascists and capitalists exploiting the inherent fatal flaw in Democracy, particularly a Liberal Capitalist Democracy, to not actually destroy or overthrow democracy, but to elevate it to its final true hideous form, what was there all along: A gargantuan deterritorializing machine, converting everything into LIMITLESS POWER, with Palpatine’s goal being pretty clearly shown in his Sithly obsession with power rage etc as pure flows of desire to be rerouted his way, is to become a Galactic Body Without Organs, inscribing the entirety of the social formation onto himself, and steering the already out of control acceleration for techno-capital to his own ends.

But you don’t need me to tell you the Prequels are good. This is CD. Like 15% of all posts on here are engaged in the deciphering and propagation of this reality. If you don’t understand that, then that’s your problem, and you should correct yourself now while there’s still time.

The Sequels aren’t even real movies, they’re trash for people who’d be just as happy to shell out the same money for the same number of tickets to watch the original Trilogy all over again but “remastered” to all have the poo poo Tu Matrix DVD transfer green tint all over the picture that’s also running at 75% normal speed and all the laser swords digitally replaced Ice Cream makers to get a lower score and please some imaginary demographic of wokelord SJWs that are actually just a few image board trolls making up fake SJWs as disinfo, and about 28 Reylo freaks from Tumblr. They don’t deserve to be seen, and the only lastin g impact they will have is inspiring some comically cucked attempts to reimagine the sloppy, first draft-Ey pseudo-adequacy of The Last Jedi as brave and cool and challenging the Star Wars Status Quo, because nerd culture baby brain somehow means that “least bad” = “good”

But you already knew that, if you knew anything about anything at all!

So, in conclusion, it has been my pleasure to close the book on this Star Wars thing and declare that objectively speaking, from a clear and fair analysis of the situation, with the skin graft of nostalgia violently ripped from the OG-so-easily exposed sinew, tendons and bones of reality:

The Prequels are the only good Star Wars movies.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The Prequels are the only good Star Wars movies.
This is a very good post and has changed my mind on the sequel films. My current watch order is:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Solo
Rogue One
Episode 4
Episode 6
Never watch:
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

This is a very good post and has changed my mind on the sequel films. My current watch order is:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Solo
Rogue One
Episode 4
Episode 6
Never watch:
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9

That’s still 4 movies too many, but it’s a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

IV-V-VI-I-II-III seems the most natural to me, though I've heard good arguments made for IV-V-I-II-III-VI, which you can do now. The Clone Wars cartoon is good to watch at any time, but probably better after at least having seen The Phantom Menace, both of which conveniently are better for a younger audience, especially in comparison to Revenge of the Sith.

I don't think i can cram a whole different trilogy in between there. They're not old enough to keep their storys straight after taking a short three movie detour!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Youre at a pretty good stopping point already

Those kids can read. They now that there are more Star-Wars movies. Just lol if you think i can keep those movies away from then now that i hooked them on this stuff!

The Clone Wars show is set during II? Or was it between I and II?