Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Or how she resurrected a probably extinct snake monster species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Capntastic posted:

Remember how in the first episode Campion was stillborn?
Alright, that's fair.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Stray thought, I hope they're paying William Gibson royalties for calling an all-powerful artificial life form with a weird religious status Nexxxmancer.

Necromancer pre-dates Gibson's twist on it by a few centuries.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It really didn’t seem like it at first, but it’s clear now, especially after the final episode, that this is another mystery box show. Not sure I’m up for S2.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mokotow posted:

It really didn’t seem like it at first, but it’s clear now, especially after the final episode, that this is another mystery box show. Not sure I’m up for S2.

I dunno, I'm not sure if anyone is looking forward to some big answer that will explain everything and make the last season make sense.

The show is insane, but I'm kinda looking forward to seeing where they're taking it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Chalks posted:

I dunno, I'm not sure if anyone is looking forward to some big answer that will explain everything and make the last season make sense.

The show is insane, but I'm kinda looking forward to seeing where they're taking it.
Yeah, definitive answers are not forthcoming, nor should they be expected. This isn't a mystery box, it's a bizarre fever dream.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chalks posted:

People are exaggerating a little bit. IRC the big central mysteries that remain to be solved are the Sol voices and the nature of the space snakes. Everything else was explained already in very broad strokes. I'm sure they'll go into much more details about the relationship between the snakes and Neanderthal society or what's inside the decahedron and planet core, but their general role/nature has been explained.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i don't want answers, i want even more crazier poo poo piled on top so you forget about the earlier mysteries

no amount of answers are going to satisfy the 'i need answers' people. it'll probably end up like Lost in which a lot of the answers are simply 'magic' and then people will complain about how the smoke monster doesn't make sense, except this time it's a snake monster

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The snake is an alien with alien powers, we dont gotta explain poo poo

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

We should all approach this show with the same unquestioning acceptance that Father showed when Mother said "we can't throw the snake in the hole, it can fly"

Chalks fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 26, 2020

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Chalks posted:

We should all approach this show with the same unquestioning acceptance that Father showed when Mother said "we can't throw the snake in the hole, it can fly"

Let's all die in a pit together~~

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It was a super hungry predator with a taste for blood (and milk), equipped with the same defensive abilities that mother has. How'd you propose they kill it?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Chalks posted:

This line is so loving ridiculous, and the leap of logic from "we can't throw it in a hole so we must escalate to Planetary Core Suicide" so absurd, that I think it must be the single greatest moment of the show.

...that said, if you accept that what Mother's really saying is "the snake has all of my defensive abilities," it actually does make sense. That or Sol's really starting to get to me :tinfoil:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Wesa give yousa una bongo. Da speedest way toobe rid of snake is goen through...de planet core.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

It was a super hungry predator with a taste for blood (and milk), equipped with the same defensive abilities that mother has. How'd you propose they kill it?

Presumably they can try to do the thing with the dark photon shield that Marcus tried on Mother and then blow it up. The new atheist ship should have one they can use this season. But yeah, outside of that, the snake seems pretty much immortal. Even ramming it into the planet core didn't do poo poo.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

To be fair it didn’t do poo poo to mom and dad either.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wasn't that because the snake protected them? IRC mother blacked out after the ship started disintegrating, so she couldn't have been responsible.

I thought the implication of all the tunnels leading to the core was that the snakes loved to chill there and that they don't really care about the heat

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Kanine posted:

Is it worth watching Prometheus and Alien: Covenant if I enjoyed this show?

Absolutely. The Android stuff is just as good as the creature stuff. The visuals on both films are worth it alone.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ex post facho posted:

when will exobiologists learn to stop trying to pet tentacles like puppies

I always head canon the dumbass crew as being the best they can get for a long term secret mission. Like if it was public and academics can get get credit for it and write papers you'd get the best of the best storming your doors for the glory. Instead you basically get whoever needs to get off the planet in a hurry and please don't call the reference I listed 'kay.

Keep in mind they don't even brief the crew until they get there. Like who'd actually sign up for that? Degenerate gamblers and dumbasses that's who.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Watched Prometheus again and it was, in fact, very enjoyable despite its faults. Looking forward to more space snek soon.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I missed the part where they mentioned the snake was super tough or hard to kill. When Mother showed the snake to Father and they both acted like it was a huge problem I just went "but just tear its little head off?"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Collapsing Farts posted:

I missed the part where they mentioned the snake was super tough or hard to kill. When Mother showed the snake to Father and they both acted like it was a huge problem I just went "but just tear its little head off?"
I mean sure I guess they could have done that, but the planet core was like right over there!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

They don't say it explicitly on the show. I think they were relying on audiences being able to infer that information from the snake's skin (identical to Mother's tactical defence skin) and its flight powers, but that clearly wasn't well communicated to a lot of the audience.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What an opportune time to revive the thread

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Just finished watching and I can't stop thinking about this milky rear end show.

I have some thoughts about the plots and themes but it all seems kinda silly when I put it in words, especially so early in this (hopefully) 4-5 season series. The images and lyrics of the opening titles kinda puts it all in perspective. Just incredible longing by all for connection and meaning, against the inevitable destruction and violence they'll sow and then reap. I'm quite satisfied with what's left mysterious so far in the mythos, because the themes of family struggle and belief show through quite saliently.

I was so giddy during the :wtc: moments in E9/E10. I loving love that silicon-carbon space lamprey demi-god. The sound design around that thing gives me goosebumps.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

been a while since I thought about milk

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Also, I hope HBO diverts funding from that Targaryen spinoff to this, cause this show is going to take off like GOT did in a couple seasons if it keeps up.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

space chandeliers posted:

Also, I hope HBO diverts funding from that Targaryen spinoff to this, cause this show is going to take off like GOT did in a couple seasons if it keeps up.

I don't think it's likely to take off on that scale. It's far too weird and unsettling for a broad, massive audience.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

I don't think it's likely to take off on that scale. It's far too weird and unsettling for a broad, massive audience.

Yeah I can't see this weird series as having mass appeal plus the first season ran out of steam fast despite the pilot episode being good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think there is any way this show will ever have the mainstream appeal of Game of Thrones, even if I wish it did. It's in season 1 and its already too weird for a lot of people and tends to set the "I want answers!" people into rage mode lol.

Although afaik it is fairly popular and is at the very least getting season 2 and hopefully beyond.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not sure how well received it was. At the time it feels like people were very critical of how absurd it became, and how annoying kids are, and how it raised way more questions than it answered as things progressed. I remember having my appreciation qualified by the "issues" the show had. But thinking back now my general impression is that it was kind of amazing. It was not what I was expecting at all, but it has a really amazing atmosphere and I can't wait to see more.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

I know, you're probably right and its OK with me.

Google Butt posted:

been a while since I thought about milk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

etalian posted:

Yeah I can't see this weird series as having mass appeal plus the first season ran out of steam fast despite the pilot episode being good.

I don't agree that the show ran out of steam at all. Front to back , the whole first season was great.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I don't agree that the show ran out of steam at all. Front to back , the whole first season was great.

Yeah, when I skimmed through some posts before watching I got the impression that there were lulls, but my SO and I never experienced that. We watched the poo poo out of it whenever we could so it only took a couple weekends. I think the pacing was spot on.

I know he'd never do it nor would stars ever align to make it come true, but I feel like David Lynch would be perfect to direct an episode.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

space chandeliers posted:

Just finished watching and I can't stop thinking about this milky rear end show.

This is how I'm gonna explain this show to people from now on. The milky rear end show.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"you know how in alien the android had milk for blood? well these guys are androids and they have milk for blood too. no, i don't know why."

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

"you know how in alien the android had milk for blood? well these guys are androids and they have milk for blood too. no, i don't know why."

The Mithraics got it wrong the whole time. They shouldn't be nourishing themselves with milk, they need to be making GBS threads themselves for Sol with laxative.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Season 2 is going to take so long to come out I will have forgotten everything from season 1. Except robot snake baby, I will never forget robot snake baby.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1395424175414599682

https://twitter.com/TomPalleschi1/status/1395447203850768390

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Me and someone who doesn't like this show waiting for season 2.