Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Outrail posted:

Kind surprised there's less than 500 fanfics with Harry and his wand. It just sounds right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the graph does itself a disservice sorting the characters alphabetically. You could tidy it up quite a bit just by grouping all the kids together, all the adults together, and I think some of those are characters from the next generation that are probably largely shipped with each other too. It'd cut down a lot on the little strands crossing across the middle and being hard to follow.

Cool chart though. Amused that "Reader" is shipped exclusively with Draco Malfoy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tenebrais posted:

I think the graph does itself a disservice sorting the characters alphabetically. You could tidy it up quite a bit just by grouping all the kids together, all the adults together, and I think some of those are characters from the next generation that are probably largely shipped with each other too. It'd cut down a lot on the little strands crossing across the middle and being hard to follow.

Cool chart though. Amused that "Reader" is shipped exclusively with Draco Malfoy.

I feel pretty confident that it's happened with other characters even it's not frequent enough to make the chart.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Lmao snarry is quite unfortunately a rather common pairing (as is hermione and snape)

Usually for platonic relationships getting tagged its only when that relationship is the main focus of the fic. Sure there will be relationships with other characters but if its going to be a 'severitus' (where snape comes to mentor harry) really its only going to have HP&SS along with maybe a couple other close friendships or romantic attachments

vvvv hey drarry can be quite good! :colbert:

also you're forgetting voldemort/harry et al

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Nov 28, 2020

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The unholy cursed trio of Harry Potter ships: Snarry, Snermione, and Dramione.

Drarry is a close fourth.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If my quick count was correct, I recognize the names of exactly 24.52% of Harry Potter characters. (And that's including ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL as one I recognize.) Not bad for someone who only ever read the first book to see what all the fuss was about.

e: CORRECTION: 22.64%, there are two "Malfoy" names on there and I accidentally thought I recognized both of them as "antagonist kid from Evil House". Not certain, but guessing the kid is the one with way more graph connections and the other is a relation? Whatever, I declare this still counts as 1 out of 2 in the recognition tally.

Powered Descent has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Nov 28, 2020

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hannah Abbott is far too normal a name for Harry Potter, a universe where every person is named Silenious Crunch or Wispy McCrispy

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Powered Descent posted:

If my quick count was correct, I recognize the names of exactly 24.52% of Harry Potter characters. (And that's including ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL as one I recognize.) Not bad for someone who only ever read the first book to see what all the fuss was about.

e: CORRECTION: 22.64%, there are two "Malfoy" names on there and I accidentally thought I recognized both of them as "antagonist kid from Evil House". Not certain, but guessing the kid is the one with way more graph connections and the other is a relation? Whatever, I declare this still counts as 1 out of 2 in the recognition tally.

malfoy the younger has definite daddy issues

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Powered Descent posted:

Lucius is Draco's dad.

e: the only reason I even recognize the name Hannah Abbott is because she shows up in a Harry Potter / D&D crossover fanfic that was more entertaining than Harry Potter and is the only fanfic I've actually read

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Nov 28, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spoeank posted:

Hannah Abbott is far too normal a name for Harry Potter, a universe where every person is named Silenious Crunch or Wispy McCrispy
Her parents are both wizards too, iirc. No excuse for her normal-rear end name. Her and the poor vanished Jewish kid Anthony Goldstein who I think has a total of two whole lines in the series.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
lol all of the 'referenced by name only' characters are little more than OCs

granted, in fanfiction most characters are technically OCs, but still

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Elysiume posted:

Lucius is Draco's dad.

Looking again, there's actually a third Malfoy (Scorpius) who I didn't accidentally recognize. And who, along with Rose Granger-Weasley, is a victim of the same graphing hard-to-see-ism as Harry and Hermione. Next-door pairs are pretty clearly this graph's weakest point.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Lmao snarry is quite unfortunately a rather common pairing (as is hermione and snape)

Usually for platonic relationships getting tagged its only when that relationship is the main focus of the fic. Sure there will be relationships with other characters but if its going to be a 'severitus' (where snape comes to mentor harry) really its only going to have HP&SS along with maybe a couple other close friendships or romantic attachments

Well I’ll be damned, I heard a few discussions of Harry Potter fanfiction before (because I make questionable life choices) and I hadn’t heard of that one.

TinTower posted:

The unholy cursed trio of Harry Potter ships: Snarry, Snermione, and Dramione.

I probably shouldn’t ask but... How could the last one, which is not between an adult and a child, possibly be in the same category as the first two?

Powered Descent posted:

Looking again, there's actually a third Malfoy (Scorpius) who I didn't accidentally recognize. And who, along with Rose Granger-Weasley, is a victim of the same graphing hard-to-see-ism as Harry and Hermione. Next-door pairs are pretty clearly this graph's weakest point.

I don’t understand why the lines have to be so long. Like, look at the one connecting Victoire Weasley and Teddy Lupin. There’s no reason the tip of the arc has to be halfway to the center of the circle. Becsuse it is, the line gets REALLY thin and overlaps a bunch of other lines near its apex, so it’s drat hard to follow even if you zoom all the way in on it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

vvvv hey drarry can be quite good! :colbert:

also you're forgetting voldemort/harry et al

Yeah the dataset seems to be from AO3, which tags platonic and romantic relationships separately. The chart doesn't say if they're specifically measuring one or both, but I'd totally buy it as only measuring romantic pairings.

I've been reading fanfiction on my phone in the downtime at work for the last few months after ignoring it my whole life, and tbh it's pretty great. Just go on AO3, search for a franchise you vaguely remember, stick the filter to sort by kudos/likes and tick the "completed stories only" button and the top 3-5% of results are (normally but not always romantic) short-ish stories that are just as well-written as a pretty good published novel. It's nice to read a bunch of free romance stories instead of horrible political news.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I don’t think there’s enough boredom in the world to make me read fanfic, but thanks for the advice.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
you generally have to have enjoyed a franchise enough to wonder about how things would change if X happened instead of Y or whatever to get to the point of reading fanfiction lol.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Ariong posted:

I probably shouldn’t ask but... How could the last one, which is not between an adult and a child, possibly be in the same category as the first two?

Malfoy spent more of the books being wizard-racist to Hermione than anything else, and tbh the shippers are worse than loving Reylo shippers for being irredeemable people.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

TinTower posted:

Malfoy spent more of the books being wizard-racist to Hermione than anything else, and tbh the shippers are worse than loving Reylo shippers for being irredeemable people.

That's kind of what makes it 'fanfiction' tbh. Changing things around and all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's kind of what makes it 'fanfiction' tbh. Changing things around and all.

Yeah but surely working within the normal behaviour of the characters makes for a better story than completely changing who they are for the sake of your wankfest

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

redleader posted:

Marxism (Liberalism)

:psypop:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kamala did always seem like an Anarcho- kind of lady.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
as a putinist-salafist, I

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Memento posted:

Yeah but surely working within the normal behaviour of the characters makes for a better story than completely changing who they are for the sake of your wankfest

I mean... it depends? Also people do change and grow up and 'normal behaviour' is always subjective anyways.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
wait isnt vaush a streamer person

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Does this mean that Biden and Harris will usher in anarchy-communism? Or just communism? And what the hell is capitalist communism?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SerialKilldeer posted:

Does this mean that Biden and Harris will usher in anarchy-communism? Or just communism? And what the hell is capitalist communism?

The last one could be China, but that's hardly anarchistic...

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Suddenly lots of people are complaining that their scented candles have no scent: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1332398737604431874.html

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if this could be part of some kind of.... global phenomenon :thunk:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

An unscented candemic, if you will

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Using the Yankee Candle pandemic model to prove that no, its not just extra testing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Canadian government has now admitted defeat on this one, but the graphic is still up:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

The Canadian government has now admitted defeat on this one, but the graphic is still up:

What sort of water systems have these advisories? Is this municipal water plants, private wells, something in between? I'm curious about how the federal government would implement changes for such a local issue as drinking water.

Edit: to be clear, fed involvement makes sense since it seems to be a pervasive issue on reserves. Just wondering how this would be changed in practice and how it got so bad in the first place.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Count Roland posted:

I'm curious about how the federal government would implement changes for such a local issue as drinking water.

Edit: to be clear, fed involvement makes sense since it seems to be a pervasive issue on reserves. Just wondering how this would be changed in practice and how it got so bad in the first place.

Federal involvement makes sense because they are directly responsible for first nations reserves. The provincial government would be involved if they were not first nations communities. The feds should be funding and implementing the infrastructure with local support.

https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1314034319353/1533665196191

I don't think any of the political parties openly state that this isn't a federal government problem, they just don't implement. Over and over.

It's not a problem that people don't know how to solve. They're reasonably small communities. This is straight up something you can solve by applying money to the problem.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SerialKilldeer posted:

Suddenly lots of people are complaining that their scented candles have no scent: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1332398737604431874.html

What's with the massive concentration of 5-star reviews just before and after the first case :thunk:

The scale kind of sucks but I guess it would probably include Christmas/NYE but why would everyone suddenly love them more?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

mobby_6kl posted:

What's with the massive concentration of 5-star reviews just before and after the first case :thunk:

The scale kind of sucks but I guess it would probably include Christmas/NYE but why would everyone suddenly love them more?

maybe people buying them as gifts and just posting "fast shipping and my aunt loved it!" without ever actually using the candle to give it an actual rating

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SerialKilldeer posted:

Where's my fully automated luxury gay space communism? Bad graph.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

SerialKilldeer posted:

And what the hell is capitalist communism?

The People's Republic of China.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Instagram posts about pie is a really bad sample source, because there is no goddamn way that New York and most of New England aren't apple. Upstate New York, VT and NH are obsessed with fall apple picking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bonk posted:

Instagram posts about pie is a really bad sample source, because there is no goddamn way that New York and most of New England aren't apple. Upstate New York, VT and NH are obsessed with fall apple picking.

Or that Georgia, the pecan state, doesn't prefer pecan pie.

Edit: wtf did autocorrect change 'doesn't' to 'shant'?

Dienes has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Dec 3, 2020