Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I do get overly gushy over her to be honest, single mother Apple of my eye and all that. 5ft 2 but on her head she’s 6ft 2. When this idea first got floated 2 years ago she was somewhat chunky, lost 75lb, and is aiming for a marathon by September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Skwirl posted:

You were thinking Foundation. Which is apparently getting a tv show.

youre right i was. and i hadnt heard of that otw to google it.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

learnincurve posted:

I do get overly gushy over her to be honest, single mother Apple of my eye and all that. 5ft 2 but on her head she’s 6ft 2. When this idea first got floated 2 years ago she was somewhat chunky, lost 75lb, and is aiming for a marathon by September.

At least tell her to be careful

https://www.stripes.com/news/study-reveals-navy-installations-carry-most-risk-of-sexual-assault-but-not-why-1.553658

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Abhorrence posted:

Your daughter sounds p. cool. You should be proud of her. :3:

This is the real takeaway here.

Well, I suppose there's also this:

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

T-man, I gently suggest that if you want people to listen to your points, it might be wise to give even the slightest indication that you're listening to theirs instead of just mocking them. If you hold that your beliefs are so infallible that you're always right and everyone who disagrees with you even mildly is always wrong, then you've invented yourself a religion, and it really isn't worth arguing with someone whose politics carry the force of religious fervor.

But let's focus on the positive!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Leftists making GBS threads on veterans is almost comically tragic and stupid.

Trust me, they deserve it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

...well, Mr "Guy so insecure he has to put his height in his username", the ciswomen are the ones who can get pregnant, as was mentioned.

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Nov 29, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

...well, Mr "Guy so insecure he has to put his height in his username", the ciswomen are the ones who can get pregnant, as was mentioned.

Also interesting that he chose Frank Sibotka from Season 2 of the Wire as his avatar.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's like how one of the reasons AIDs spread so quickly through the gay cis male population was because nobody was using condoms because none of them could get pregnant. Whether or not someone can get pregnant does influence the casual sex they might have!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Fortunately it sounds like she's joining Her Majesty's Navy, not the US Navy. The Brits seem much more civilized overall, based on my interactions with them.

Being on a minesweeper up in the North Sea sounds absolutely loving miserable though, I'm basically immune to motion sickness and I've felt queasy in those parts in the winter, while 1/3 of the crew was actually incapacitated, trying to stand watch while hugging buckets.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Recruiters are literally paid to lie. Their entire career for that duty assignment is based on making numbers, how they get them is less important.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/1322388873486299136?s=19

(thread, weird Finnish fetish of big boobed American women)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I like the chart claiming white American women's breasts are three times the size of German women on average.

Linking directly to the chart because a lot of the photos skirt the line on what's work safe.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mystery boob blogs can have little a white supremacy, as a treat

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Data Graham posted:

It says non-white Americans have much bigger tits than every European national.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well I guess the American-ness trumps all

That's just genetics

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Surely if we're going to go all Aryan here Germany wouldn't be last.

Also assuming a spherical boob (I'll turn on my monitor later) that's only two units' worth of radial difference between first and last, and not whatever is going on in those photos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sighence posted:

Surely if we're going to go all Aryan here Germany wouldn't be last.

Also assuming a spherical boob (I'll turn on my monitor later) that's only two units' worth of radial difference between first and last, and not whatever is going on in those photos.

Yeah, there's some weird anti-European stuff in their, including the "fact" almost all European women stuff their bras.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Holy poo poo do not sleep on this thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edit: very common for American teens to talk about how foreigners are all flat chested.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Nov 29, 2020

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Just for the record, your daughter should not join the military, all she's going to get from it is trauma, and also it's the hosed up imperialist war machine of one of the biggest and worst powers on the planet, yeah, no ethical consumption under capitalism, you still shouldn't join the military. Like, I get it, when you're poor as poo poo there's really not many options, but like... there's still better than this. The benefits are far less than promised, and the things you're working in service of are horrible. Your daughter should not join the military.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1332838551642259456?s=20

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

learnincurve posted:

The Navy are going to put my kid though college and pay her for it vs my kid working minimum wage In the amazon warehouse 1/4 a mile away because we are free school meals, government housing level poor and I can’t afford to send her to college. .

Tough call but nice for the college educated middle classes to share their insight, most appreciated.

learnincurve posted:

Oh no no, she’s 16, she was bright enough to hack it at engineering school and confident enough to, and I poo poo you not, walk into a Mercades Benz main dealership and say “I’m at engineering school can I do an internship with you in your repair shop please?” but I ain’t got the money to sent her to university and the Navy does - my cousin did the same thing with the Australian Army and runs some sort of high tech computer security company now.

learnincurve posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone:) , she’s still nearly 3 years away and will be doing A levels and then an extra year in college specifically to prep* while she waits for her braces to come off.

*I love that some kid she knows and washed out of the course said “don’t do it all it is is ex-army guys shouting at you to run faster” and she went “and? If you can’t take large men shouting at you why would you want to be in the military”

Edit: she was the only girl in her class in engineering school and has the equivalent of 3 a* in engineering and an a in electronics GCSEs and did a internship at Mercedes Benz so this isn’t some “I want to join the navy because I don’t know what else to do” thing

Well Amazon may be a poo poo company but I know they pay more than minimum wage. I don't know how the education system works in the UK but I have trouble believing you live in government housing but aren't going to qualify for substantial financial aide. Even if your story added up I would value the lives of Iraqi children more than the education of your daughter and it's kind of a bad time to bring up your cousin joining the Australian army: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55088230

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inceltown posted:

Holy poo poo do not sleep on this thread.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I often have...dreams about my time in the Navy. Sometimes every week but it has gotten more infrequent as time has passed. Not really nightmares, just dreams of situations with an extreme level of anxiety or sadness and fear, and I often don’t feel rested the next day. They are extremely vivid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That thread gave me such ‘Tickled’ vibes. It just finished about 20minutes ago if you read earlier and want to read the final few tweets.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

That thread gave me such ‘Tickled’ vibes. It just finished about 20minutes ago if you read earlier and want to read the final few tweets.

The whole thing being a disinfo campaign comes up at the end too, which lead to this.

https://twitter.com/eriktown/status/1332898968712343552

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leftists are loving terrible

https://twitter.com/AshBCoffin/status/1332932933817167873?s=20

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

T-man posted:

"i need a reason to not think about her points" is both shorter and less dishonest.

The less you're thought about, the happier everyone is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Skwirl posted:

Leftists are loving terrible

well their jokes arent very good and they're bad at trolling going by your example

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Maybe you guys should be angry at the war machine that preys on disadvantaged kids, funded by the politicians you put in power instead of those same poor kids who have almost zero options in life.

I know I know, you can't feel as self-righteous and look down your noes as easily if it's not a person but I'm sure you can go on twitter and find someone else to pick on to make yourself feel good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Maybe you guys should be angry at the war machine that preys on disadvantaged kids, funded by the politicians you put in power instead of those same poor kids who have almost zero options in life.

I know I know, you can't feel as self-righteous and look down your noes as easily if it's not a person but I'm sure you can go on twitter and find someone else to pick on to make yourself feel good.

It's possible to both be mad at the war machine that pressures kids into joining it and also say that choosing to join that war machine is a fundamentally immoral action no matter what the pressure is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

It's possible to both be mad at the war machine that pressures kids into joining it and also say that choosing to join that war machine is a fundamentally immoral action no matter what the pressure is.

Yeah, but that’s a really uncomfortable position to hold so I’m not surprised that people are reacting defensively to the concept

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, but that’s a really uncomfortable position to hold so I’m not surprised that people are reacting defensively to the concept

Here's a news story about 13 people pressured into joining the war machine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55088230

Edit, that's a bit hyperbolic, but either you think the military is bad and therefore joining the military is also bad or you don't actually have a problem with the massive war machine that wastes huge amounts of money brutalizing the third world at the behest of oligarchs

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Nov 29, 2020

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Skwirl posted:

Here's a news story about 13 people pressured into joining the war machine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55088230

Ahhhh yes the war machine is innocent in all of this. If it wasn't for those drat bad apples!

quote:

Edit, that's a bit hyperbolic, but either you think the military is bad and therefore joining the military is also bad or you don't actually have a problem with the massive war machine that wastes huge amounts of money brutalizing the third world at the behest of oligarchs

I completely agree with you here.

For me it's the difference between
"don't join the military, it will make you do terrible things that you will regret"
Shows empathy and concern for the individual.

"your a war criminal"
Just shows you want to be morally superior and don't care about the individual at all.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Nov 29, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Ahhhh yes the war machine is innocent in all of this. If it wasn't for those drat bad apples!

I already edited my post, but did you really think that was my point?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Mega Comrade posted:

you sound really stupid lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's OK to get played and pressured into joining an organization you don't really understand and only know about from state propaganda. It becomes more problematic and immoral when the same people then proceed to uncritically adopt that organization as part of their identity even after experiencing it and living through it, though I think there's a willful tendency to underestimate the power of indoctrination and the malleability of one's brain when faced with systematized pressure, which does disservice to any good faith attempts to fight against it.

OTOH, calling American soldiers on the internet child murderers is always a good call.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

christmas boots posted:

oh no, not complicated ideas bought about by a rigorous analysis of the world. having axioms and deriving them is trolling, much like giving bad ideas their proper respect is harmful to my ability to convince the already decided. if i could convince them not to send their kid into the mavy I'd try, but it's not.

i enjoy hyperbole and irony, but when i serious post i say exactly what i believe based on my years of studying philosophy, psychology, and sociology. whataboutism and idiotic acusations of privilage do not consitute a reply i will bother to respond to. i am no better than any at you at thinking, i just refuse to accept the easy answers which can justify the rich global north bombing the continually stolen from global south because of a few buzzwords meant to stop thought.

i spent a long time consitering the role of race, gender, and class for my work in gender studies. you can see the progression in my post history, if you go back far enough. i stand on the shoulders of radical thinkers, and i refuse to let you off the hook for the uncomfortable truth that our lives are built on the suffering of billions, and that nothing will absolve the actions of those who kill in the defense of this horror. all cops are bastards, all troops enable war crimes, all americans plunder and gain from other's suffering.

in conclusion, im gay.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Immoral to those who can afford to have morals like that. It's very easy to sit in a position of privilege and say 'It's immoral to accept money from the Army'. Its quite a different thing to be the guy growing up on a housing estate, no education, no job prospects and turning down someone saying they'll take you out of there and give you a trade.

Morality is always dependent on what you can afford in a capitalist hell world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mega Comrade posted:

I completely agree with you here.

For me it's the difference between
"don't join the military, it will make you do terrible things that you will regret"
Shows empathy and concern for the individual.

"your a war criminal"
Just shows you want to be morally superior and don't care about the individual at all.

Or your take which appears to be "Just do what you wanna do, any war crimes you end up doing are the systems fault anyway, if it wasnt you someone else would just do them.".