Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

I was grossly underestimating how much Youtube videos made per view, apparently, it's like up to 5000 freedom buckaroos per 1 million views. I was thinking like in the range of hundreds. Jorp is technically a job creator since video dunking on him gather easily 2+ mil views and add that sweet sweet Patreon money on top and you got some good gravy train going on.

Hence why there are more and more "dunking" videos crop up the moment people like Jorp or Dan Bilzerian do something.

Just imagine if all the "intellectual" dark web youtube triggering libs/chuds culture war was all a grift and kefabe?

So I am gonna take a minute to talk about incels and adjacent mens issues. I have a student who is a rather nice Muslim girl and she s told me about some college level "drama" surrounding her other female muslim friend. One thing i ve learned is that here in the US there are like Muslim versions of tindr and her friend gets busy with these muslim....gently caress bois?

So lets call the friend Ivy. In Ivy's orbit is a male friend named mark, whose sadly doing the whole friend zone thing. What I learned about mark is this. He's from a broken home, He s family is a very very very strong fundamentalist Christian house hold, and finally he s been socailized around his mom and sister.

What set off alarm bells for me was when my student mentioned how Mark tried to talk to them about how his jeans made his butt look big. It made both the student, and Ivy feel uncomfortable and it was as the young say just cringy.

This lead to me asking more about mark and I learned what I listed above. I can just see the proto incel beginning.

1) The religion is (something I am very familiar with) Is very toxic to a young mans sexuality he needs to understand DA Horny as being natural and not sinful least it gets repressed too much.

2) imitating the way the women in his life talk to eachother doesnt go over well.

3) carrying the printer for Ivy, again she s off on musslim tindr getting her freak on while he s being the best friend he can be.

* side note when you devople you moral system out of fear from god. It tends to backfire badly when you lose your faith cause you entire sense of right and wrong come from fear of heavenly father. I also when the religion discourages all forms of introspection and healthy coping skills. Later in life...oh god I know people who have killed themselves 4 years after leaving the flock.

I worry about this mark guy and I often wonder if he ll figure out its unheathly to be a "nice guy" and fixate on a girl. Or make peace with the "demons of lust within him" or maybe he ll drink the kool aid and just go incel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Galewolf posted:

The best stuff to came out if Jorgan is Dal Bilzerian claiming that he won 51 million dollars in one poker game (or was it a year, idk?).

This dude pays to make his stuff show up for everyone in snapchat and it's hilarious because last year it was just the usual stuff of him working out and partying with models but lately its a bunch of snaps of him saying his company is doing great, not broke, very legal, and very cool.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ups_rail posted:

Just imagine if all the "intellectual" dark web youtube triggering libs/chuds culture war was all a grift and kefabe?

So I am gonna take a minute to talk about incels and adjacent mens issues. I have a student who is a rather nice Muslim girl and she s told me about some college level "drama" surrounding her other female muslim friend. One thing i ve learned is that here in the US there are like Muslim versions of tindr and her friend gets busy with these muslim....gently caress bois?

So lets call the friend Ivy. In Ivy's orbit is a male friend named mark, whose sadly doing the whole friend zone thing. What I learned about mark is this. He's from a broken home, He s family is a very very very strong fundamentalist Christian house hold, and finally he s been socailized around his mom and sister.

What set off alarm bells for me was when my student mentioned how Mark tried to talk to them about how his jeans made his butt look big. It made both the student, and Ivy feel uncomfortable and it was as the young say just cringy.

This lead to me asking more about mark and I learned what I listed above. I can just see the proto incel beginning.

1) The religion is (something I am very familiar with) Is very toxic to a young mans sexuality he needs to understand DA Horny as being natural and not sinful least it gets repressed too much.

2) imitating the way the women in his life talk to eachother doesnt go over well.

3) carrying the printer for Ivy, again she s off on musslim tindr getting her freak on while he s being the best friend he can be.

* side note when you devople you moral system out of fear from god. It tends to backfire badly when you lose your faith cause you entire sense of right and wrong come from fear of heavenly father. I also when the religion discourages all forms of introspection and healthy coping skills. Later in life...oh god I know people who have killed themselves 4 years after leaving the flock.

I worry about this mark guy and I often wonder if he ll figure out its unheathly to be a "nice guy" and fixate on a girl. Or make peace with the "demons of lust within him" or maybe he ll drink the kool aid and just go incel.

I long for the days when we could just laugh at the printer carrier and not wonder in the back of our minds if he was going to kill her.

I think a lot of men go through a phase of not understanding how to relate to women they like ages 15-22 and most turn out fine. Hopefully that dork will just cringe every time he thinks about his first year of college but otherwise calm down into a normal person.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I will never stop carrying printers for fine ladies!!! gently caress you!!!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Mrs. Dash posted:

This dude pays to make his stuff show up for everyone on Snapchat and it's hilarious because last year it was just the usual stuff of him working out and partying with models but lately, its a bunch of snaps of him saying his company is doing great, not broke, very legal, and very cool.

Lmao, yeah the whole Ignite thing is basically a money laundering/investor embezzlement orchestrated by the Daddy Bilz. "I fired my last Director of the Board, he was doing a poo poo job and not good but the new guy [some hapless rando scapegoat to be thrown into the lions when wire fraud and many other cases pile up] is amazing" is surely inspire confidence in dumb idiots invested in a legalized weed company tanking in sales during the whole world is stuck at home depressed out of the minds and looking for a mental break.

Out of curiosity, I checked out the major bread tube/left tube people's patreons. For obvious reasons their total income is not openly listed but we can speculate:

IIRC, JORP decided to leave Patreon (or forced out) but you can donate bitcoin directly to his account which is probably won't be used to buy benzo or fund the Jorpdaughters business ventures. He has 6.5 million followers but these are amateur numbers these days, fukken 5-minute crafts video channel has 70 million subs.

Hbomberguy: 9200 patreons with min 2 USD with 4.50 and 8.50 tiers (or with VAT 2-5-10). Even with everyone being on min tier, we're looking at 18.400 USD per month.
Contrapoints: Same tiers above (coincidence? tax-related? Seems like a trend in these channels with 2-5-10 bucks tiers) with 12,659 members. Again, with everyone being on min tier it's over 25.000 USD per month.
Kat Blaque (no idea, just taking names from bread tube wiki article): Relatively a low-level hustler, 1 USD min with 4.50 and 17 USD tiers at 1653 patreons. Min 3200 USD per month.
Philosophy Tube (again, no idea): Same 2-4.5-8.5 tiers, 6192 patreons, Min 12.400 USD per month
Thought Slime (I think this doesn't count as bread tube since it's more of an anarchist one): I watch TS videos now and then as background noise, 5200 USD per month since it's public.

I imagine some of that income goes to income tax but add the 3k to 5k per video and other side gigs to the fray.

I mean, hell, I want in on that shindig. I'll start now: "Hey guys, welcome to my video channel. Jordan Peterson, what a jerkoff amirite?"

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 29, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Patreon takes a pretty insane bite out of that pie too. But yes, they aren't hurting for cash.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Galewolf posted:

IIRC, JORP decided to leave Patreon (or forced out) but you can donate bitcoin directly to his account which is probably won't be used to buy benzo or fund the Jorpdaughters business ventures.

Jorp voluntarily left Patreon because he had a hissyfit about some kind of (imaginary) oppression they were doing. He tried to create his own website but even the right mocked it. An absolute unforced error on his part.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jorp voluntarily left Patreon because he had a hissyfit about some kind of (imaginary) oppression they were doing. He tried to create his own website but even the right mocked it. An absolute unforced error on his part.

Imagine losing like 20k (upwards to 40-50k probably) per month of free money to own the SJWs. Not that I think Jorp is hurting for money but that's some great lol up there.

One of the ironies of our current time is probably having to pay 160 to 400 bucks (iirc) to watch the Zizek vs Jorp debate live which is probably the wettest fart of a debate ever:

Jorp: I hate the Left
Z-dawg: *Sniff* Me too. *Sniff*
[The End]

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 29, 2020

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Galewolf posted:

Lmao, yeah the whole Ignite thing is basically a money laundering/investor embezzlement orchestrated by the Daddy Bilz. "I fired my last Director of the Board, he was doing a poo poo job and not good but the new guy [some hapless rando scapegoat to be thrown into the lions when wire fraud and many other cases pile up] is amazing" is surely inspire confidence in dumb idiots invested in a legalized weed company tanking in sales during the whole world is stuck at home depressed out of the minds and looking for a mental break.

Out of curiosity, I checked out the major bread tube/left tube people's patreons. For obvious reasons their total income is not openly listed but we can speculate:

IIRC, JORP decided to leave Patreon (or forced out) but you can donate bitcoin directly to his account which is probably won't be used to buy benzo or fund the Jorpdaughters business ventures. He has 6.5 million followers but these are amateur numbers these days, fukken 5-minute crafts video channel has 70 million subs.

Hbomberguy: 9200 patreons with min 2 USD with 4.50 and 8.50 tiers (or with VAT 2-5-10). Even with everyone being on min tier, we're looking at 18.400 USD per month.
Contrapoints: Same tiers above (coincidence? tax-related? Seems like a trend in these channels with 2-5-10 bucks tiers) with 12,659 members. Again, with everyone being on min tier it's over 25.000 USD per month.
Kat Blaque (no idea, just taking names from bread tube wiki article): Relatively a low-level hustler, 1 USD min with 4.50 and 17 USD tiers at 1653 patreons. Min 3200 USD per month.
Philosophy Tube (again, no idea): Same 2-4.5-8.5 tiers, 6192 patreons, Min 12.400 USD per month
Thought Slime (I think this doesn't count as bread tube since it's more of an anarchist one): I watch TS videos now and then as background noise, 5200 USD per month since it's public.

I imagine some of that income goes to income tax but add the 3k to 5k per video and other side gigs to the fray.

I mean, hell, I want in on that shindig. I'll start now: "Hey guys, welcome to my video channel. Jordan Peterson, what a jerkoff amirite?"

Interesting post. I assume that some of that sweet breadtube money goes towards paying for their sets/costumes and hopefully also their employees, however. In spite of presenting themselves as one-person shows, most youtubers have at least one or two people who do editing or help with stuff like lightning and music. I'd really like to know how much (if anything) these people get paid and how much is left for the youtuber after this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I know that Hbomb, a goon, does do a lot of solo stuff when he's talking but does also have an editor for his more serious analysis and even laments that he got some acclaim for those videos but his editor and cowriter got none even though her name right next to his in the credits. No idea what he pays her but I hope it's a fair price because he seems like a good guy.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

KonvexKonkav posted:

Interesting post. I assume that some of that sweet breadtube money goes towards paying for their sets/costumes and hopefully also their employees, however. In spite of presenting themselves as one-person shows, most youtubers have at least one or two people who do editing or help with stuff like lightning and music. I'd really like to know how much (if anything) these people get paid and how much is left for the youtuber after this.

Contrapoints goes full on elaborate costumes, makeup and has own music creator. The rest are just in front of computer / do edits and cuts of other content while talking.

I imagine Natalie is the big spender here. Thought Slime literally sits in front of a cgi sewer oozing...green slime and talks. TS quit his min wage job to full time YT which must be an improvement but Tim Horton's is not a high bar to clear.

I imagine Natalie makes a good amount of money through Patreon+YT+Donations+Merch (just t-shirts) to focus only on content.

I think once you are 1+ mil views per video level of following, you can consider going full YT.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Galewolf posted:

Same tiers above (coincidence? tax-related? Seems like a trend in these channels with 2-5-10 bucks tiers)

Those are just pretty optimal tiers that you'll find across patreon:

2bux is the best tax/fee-optimized payment for the low spenders who just want to throw a little money to their faves

:fivecbux: is a decent medium-tier to get the people who want bonus material and/or to see their names listed at the end of a video (or on a website, or in a book, etc etc etc)

:10bux: is a good level for the bigger spenders

I think it's also worth keeping in mind that these folks are putting their stuff out for free, so patreon payments are paying them for their work (in addition to offsetting the costs of video production in most cases). Whether or not we think that work was worth payment, it's at least nice that a lot of people are willing to throw some money at the people who are giving them entertainment.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
JROP

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I wanted to check if RooshV was on Patreon but seems like he got banned and now has apparently found the Lord?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

I thought chuds accusing people of virtue signalling was bad but accusing people of cynically faking it for the luxurious life of a one-in-a-million YouTube success after almost a decade of continuous work and a lifetime of professional development because they made one video criticizing a guy years ago is something else.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I thought chuds accusing people of virtue signalling was bad but accusing people of cynically faking it for the luxurious life of a one-in-a-million YouTube success after almost a decade of continuous work and a lifetime of professional development because they made one video criticizing a guy years ago is something else.

No one is accusing anyone of anything, cynically or otherwise, you baby.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The best counterargument to Jordan Peterson is Natalie Wynn's video on him, if only because I imagine fewer things are more terrifying to the man than the idea of a trans woman aggressively wanting to gently caress him while also bodying him on his own turf since she's a (former) professor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LqZdkkBDas

This is bad

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Shut up, guy mann

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

thoughtslime made a video to teach you how to be thoughtslime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-d3QxeBOo

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

Galewolf posted:

Imagine losing like 20k (upwards to 40-50k probably) per month of free money to own the SJWs. Not that I think Jorp is hurting for money but that's some great lol up there.

One of the ironies of our current time is probably having to pay 160 to 400 bucks (iirc) to watch the Zizek vs Jorp debate live which is probably the wettest fart of a debate ever:

Jorp: I hate the Left
Z-dawg: *Sniff* Me too. *Sniff*
[The End]

Zizek was being nice because he was trying to reach out to Peterson's audience. It kind of worked to, Peterson admitted to Zizek after the debate he was physically shaking on stage because he was not what he expected.

Zizek meanwhile has stated that reading the 12 rules makes him want to shoot somebody

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Galewolf posted:

"Breadtube" comes from "The Conquest of Bread" by Peter Kropotkin, who was an Anarchist. To be entirely honest, all the other people you listed are kind of "pretenders" to the breadtube name, despite being much larger and more emblematic of the trend.

Thoughtslime, to me, means well but says some silly stuff here and there. I rate them 3.5/5 slices of bread.

spouse fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 30, 2020

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I don't know why but I find Thought Slime to be exceedingly smug and condescending. I agree with the vast majority of what they say and disagreeing with someone doesn't make me dislike them either but I can't make it through a single video of theirs and I've tried watching them many many times. Maybe it's a act they they're putting on to seem more interesting or some sort of personality disorder but I find them almost as unwatchable as Ben Shapiro. Maybe it's because they're acting fake or something, I really don't know.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tarkus posted:

I don't know why but I find Thought Slime to be exceedingly smug and condescending. I agree with the vast majority of what they say and disagreeing with someone doesn't make me dislike them either but I can't make it through a single video of theirs and I've tried watching them many many times. Maybe it's a act they they're putting on to seem more interesting or some sort of personality disorder but I find them almost as unwatchable as Ben Shapiro. Maybe it's because they're acting fake or something, I really don't know.

Penis Slime

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Friends, friends

Lobsters

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
So who does leftist stuff on YouTube and sucks the least?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Squashy posted:

So who does leftist stuff on YouTube and sucks the least?

All of the aforementioned youtubers are just fine. Even Thought Slime is fine despite my criticism. I like Philosophy Tube and Creationist Cat personally but whatever.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

Tarkus posted:

All of the aforementioned youtubers are just fine. Even Thought Slime is fine despite my criticism. I like Philosophy Tube and Creationist Cat personally but whatever.

I've got my left podcasts that I listen to (Eat the Rich/Citations Needed are my go-tos), and I'm irl friends with Youtuber That1Janitor, who rides the line between Liberal/Left. I just feel overly skeptical of the Breadtube/LeftTube set, but would like to watch more content, and don't know where to turn. Thanks for the input. I'm just not heavily invested in YouTube creators at all

Squashy fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 30, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big part of what makes it look so volatile is that the left is actually and justifiably skeptical of people and ready to abandon them when they start showing signs of falling down a reactionary rabbit hole and/or turn out to be a sex pest (and you'd be amazed how suddenly and quickly both can happen) since nobody has any time for someone who's a threat to themselves or other members of vulnerable groups, while of course the right will only abandon someone when they stop being fun. And the centre somehow enjoys the lamest, most useless people on earth and would rather throw all manner of vulnerable people under the bus for the sake of ~their faves~

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Squashy posted:

I've got my left podcasts that I listen to (Eat the Rich/Citations Needed are my go-tos), and I'm irl friends with Youtuber That1Janitor, who rides the line between Liberal/Left. I just feel overly skeptical of the Breadtube/LeftTube set, but would like to watch more content, but don't know where to turn.

In addition to the listed dudes, Shaun is great, as is Three Arrows.

T1J is great and seems like he'd be a chill dude to hang out with. I really appreciate his videos.

To be more on-topic and also about youtube (though not breadtube) cognitive psychologist Cass Eris is wrapping up a loooooong series of videos where she goes through the 12 Rules book and exhaustively points out how lovely an academic Peterson is, as well as how lovely a psychologist. She does a pretty good job of explaining the science and how he gets everything wrong, and has a laughably bad impersonation of the dude.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This is really the only leftist content I watch on YouTube, everything else is superficial and facile imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6OKCo5hyss

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big part of what makes it look so volatile is that the left is actually and justifiably skeptical of people and ready to abandon them when they start showing signs of falling down a reactionary rabbit hole and/or turn out to be a sex pest (and you'd be amazed how suddenly and quickly both can happen) since nobody has any time for someone who's a threat to themselves or other members of vulnerable groups, while of course the right will only abandon someone when they stop being fun. And the centre somehow enjoys the lamest, most useless people on earth and would rather throw all manner of vulnerable people under the bus for the sake of ~their faves~

I get what you're saying but I also think that we've become remarkably unforgiving and hypocritical in much the same way that the Christian right was back in the day. We've become enamored with the concepts of original sin and circular logic to justify our ideology. Don't get me wrong. I think that we are, ideologically speaking, correct on almost every count but our application has to match our ideology. Are there some terrible people that rear their heads on the left? Sure. Should everyone have to be perfect all the time and be a perfect example? No, it's unachievable. But we tend to expect the people who speak for us to adhere to these standards.

We're a lot like Trump(ists) in the fact that we attempt crush those people that would be our greatest assets because they only agree 99.5%

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Otoh gently caress those ppl and no ones entitled to my monies/attn

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Who has the time, energy, or inclination to watch dozens of hours of YouTube videos? And then another set debunking the first set?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DickParasite posted:

Who has the time, energy, or inclination to watch dozens of hours of YouTube videos? And then another set debunking the first set?

Yeah, I don't understand this either.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

DickParasite posted:

Terminally online losers.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I assume many people just put it on as background noise which is why so many youtubers repeat the same point over and over again.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tarkus posted:

I get what you're saying but I also think that we've become remarkably unforgiving and hypocritical in much the same way that the Christian right was back in the day. We've become enamored with the concepts of original sin and circular logic to justify our ideology. Don't get me wrong. I think that we are, ideologically speaking, correct on almost every count but our application has to match our ideology. Are there some terrible people that rear their heads on the left? Sure. Should everyone have to be perfect all the time and be a perfect example? No, it's unachievable. But we tend to expect the people who speak for us to adhere to these standards.

We're a lot like Trump(ists) in the fact that we attempt crush those people that would be our greatest assets because they only agree 99.5%

Can you give an example of an enemy who “only agrees 99.5%?” Because someone who espouses reactionary rhetoric or is a sex pest is absolutely not someone who is basically an ally with one little point of contention.

I personally judge people by the singular metric of “are they capable of introspection?” Can they be told that an idea or behavior is harmful, make an effort to understand why that is, and express sincere contrition while working to correct it? Can they explain why they hold a particular belief, and are they able to change their mind when presented with a perspective that makes a stronger case for a different belief? If so, cool, if not, I won’t be surprised when they start openly collaborating with nazis or turn out to be a massive sex pest.

I don’t follow any of these YouTubers anywhere near enough to have an opinion of them, but it’s a rule that has served me well in my personal life.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

DickParasite posted:

Yeah, hbomb is making an insane amount of money (even if he’s paying an editor, the amount he gets still makes you absurdly rich in the UK)... but if someone offered me an extra 100k a year on the condition that I had to spend all my time reading dumbfuck Twitter arguments and extracting clips from right-wing smuglords, I don’t think I could stand it for more than a few months.

I tried to watch a new contra video where she is expressing faux-amazement over the idea of documenting chris-chan’s life. Mate, you make hours and hours of elaborate video content documenting other people’s thoughtcrimes. Don’t pretend you don’t get it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wasn't this thread about making fun of Jordan Peterson at one point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wasn't this thread about making fun of Jordan Peterson at one point?

Jordan Peterson got telefragged when he entered a pentagram teleporter on his way to hold a lecture decrying the excesses of Pain Elementals who were having too many babies.