Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qkkvyiE3fk1s1ddrj.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2Gu75pd.gifv

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Is this their first time seeing snow? Because nothing about that mound says "Soft and going to catch my fall" And it definitely screams "Mostly solid ice."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Be mad, don’t care <3

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The General posted:

Is this their first time seeing snow? Because nothing about that mound says "Soft and going to catch my fall" And it definitely screams "Mostly solid ice."

Yeah that definitely looks like someone visiting winter for the first time who has only ever seen snow on TV.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

She's trying hard to tweet through it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The General posted:

It's almost certainly been through a couple freeze-thaw cycles, and it's shoveled snow, so the top layer is that really fun mixture of crumbly ice and gravel

Absolutely what you want to be putting all your weight on as you lever your sore, winded body off the snowbank

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://twitter.com/maplecocaine/status/1080665226410889217

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I get the whole covid fatigue/missing gatherings, but couldn't she just do a Zoom mass? Or pray in the closet like Jesus said to do in the first place.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Just stay home and nail yourself to a cross next time you ding a ling.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Buy bye.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zesty posted:

Buy bye.

I saw somewhere else that her husband died. Which, well, the thing with stupid games is, the the prizes are often equally stupid.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

hawowanlawow posted:

Jesus, looking down from heaven, puts his head in his hands

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Memento posted:

I saw somewhere else that her husband died. Which, well, the thing with stupid games is, the the prizes are often equally stupid.

In two days?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

xcheopis posted:

In two days?

Pre-existing condition was "already dying of COVID."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love social media. It's amazing to see it ruin people's lives one after another and yet no one can seem to stop putting all of their thoughts and doings where anyone can see them. And all so advertiser can collect their data and market more directly to them. It's loving hilarious.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

xcheopis posted:

In two days?

He couldn’t live with the fact that his wife was being so throughly owned online

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Solice Kirsk posted:

I love social media. It's amazing to see it ruin people's lives one after another and yet no one can seem to stop putting all of their thoughts and doings where anyone can see them. And all so advertiser can collect their data and market more directly to them. It's loving hilarious.

This is part of why Something Awful is my only social media. It's anonymous and even if someone somehow doxxed me the only consequence would be that now people know I like hentai. Wow whoopdee frickin do!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

This is part of why Something Awful is my only social media. It's anonymous and even if someone somehow doxxed me the only consequence would be that now people know I like hentai. Wow whoopdee frickin do!

How did you earn your avatar? :stonklol:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Ditto. Also in my line of work I have to disclose all of my social media accounts and they would get reviewed annually by my compliance officers, so not worth the hassle. Plus I grew up in a time when you didn't want anyone to know your business so the whole thing seems really stupid just in general.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Icon Of Sin posted:

How did you earn your avatar? :stonklol:

I don't think there was any one thing because it just kind of showed up while nothing interesting was happening. But ultimately it grew out "sourced arguments re: lamia physiology."

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The only social media I use is Instagram and that's just to post the occasional picture and follow doggo accounts. That and Something Awful.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I was incredibly down on Instagram in the face of some of my friends exhortations until I eventually caved when I could no longer open the cat and dog videos my gf sent me from it without an account myself and actually it's been great. I assumed I would be bombarded with vacuous influencer shite but instead I have a well curated stream of cool creative projects and art and cookery and lego and cats and dogs, the total antithesis of the desolate wasteland of racist minions memes and idiots with dog filter selfies and pray for whatever profile frames that is Facebook

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I follow some local comedians, some geology stuff and The Rock.

I don't remember following The Rock but I think that comes standard with every Instagram account. I haven't tried to unfollow him, but I assume that's not possible.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

I have a well curated stream of cool creative projects and art and cookery and lego and cats and dogs

Instagram seems to have better "if you like this, you might also like that" algorithms than almost any other site. It regularly suggests things that I actually DO like. Even the ads are better targeted, since I actually occasionally buy things I see on Instagram (although recently all my ads have been for lingerie/underwear for some reason).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Instagram seems to have better "if you like this, you might also like that" algorithms than almost any other site. It regularly suggests things that I actually DO like. Even the ads are better targeted, since I actually occasionally buy things I see on Instagram (although recently all my ads have been for lingerie/underwear for some reason).

It's because it's listening to every conversation you have while it's in your pocket. Anytime something wants access to your microphone say "no."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

EasilyConfused posted:

Pre-existing condition was "already dying of COVID married a complete loving idiot."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

That's one hand you non-counting bitch.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't think there was any one thing because it just kind of showed up while nothing interesting was happening. But ultimately it grew out "sourced arguments re: lamia physiology."
I thought you were just a fan of XCOM.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was incredibly down on Instagram in the face of some of my friends exhortations until I eventually caved when I could no longer open the cat and dog videos my gf sent me from it without an account myself and actually it's been great. I assumed I would be bombarded with vacuous influencer shite but instead I have a well curated stream of cool creative projects and art and cookery and lego and cats and dogs, the total antithesis of the desolate wasteland of racist minions memes and idiots with dog filter selfies and pray for whatever profile frames that is Facebook

"I know 90% of you will scroll right past, but share and like to fight cancer and poverty god bless."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sestze posted:

I thought you were just a fan of XCOM.

This is actually fairly serviceable as an analogy for what happened.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I went looking to see the provenance of the “lower-case ‘p’” proverb “God helps those who help themselves” as it seemed applicable here, only to discover that apparently that is a “lie about God,” as one YouTuber puts it, to the devout.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hawowanlawow posted:

Jesus, looking down from heaven, puts his head in his hands

It's almost literally the story of the person trapped on their roof during a flood.

Guess they're going to have to update it to someone "trapped" in their home during a global pandemic.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Violet_Sky posted:

I get the whole covid fatigue/missing gatherings, but couldn't she just do a Zoom mass? Or pray in the closet like Jesus said to do in the first place.

based on the whole tenor of her comments, particularly the yearning for martyrdom, gonna assume she's part of one of those denominations that basically require you to spend multiple days a week at church or at a congregants house for bible study, quilting, etc. and will actively ostracise anyone who socializes outside of the congregation

so not only will she refuse to stop attending, even if she wanted to, she'd lose her whole social circle forever if she did. she's still a huge rear end in a top hat for not doing the smart thing and finding a new church / less lovely friends, but a lotta folks are missing just how many people, even young people, have their entire social lives built around their church

it's culty as gently caress, it's just out in the open

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have never, in my life, clicked on an ad before.

They still seem to know what I purchase on Amazon and other places though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Butterfly Valley posted:

i'm the same way, twitter is great for finding new writers or music you wouldn't already have known about. https://twitter.com/vintage_obscura?lang=en it's also a fun way to meet international friends.

i think the problem comes from adding people you know in real life and discovering that the vast majority of americans are profoundly vacuous.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm the same way, twitter is great for finding new writers or music you wouldn't already have known about. https://twitter.com/vintage_obscura?lang=en it's also a fun way to meet international friends.

i think the problem comes from adding people you know in real life and discovering that the vast majority of americans are profoundly vacuous.

Twitter is really good if you never, ever engage with any of their recommendations, turn off that thing that shows posts from people you don't follow if people you follow like it, immediately block any account that promotes anything, and only follow accounts that are actually people and not like the official page for some organization or band or group.

Just start with a small number of people who post about whatever you want to see (writers, music, activism, whatever), and then if they retweet someone a couple times and you like what they're saying, follow them. If they poo poo up your timeline either directly or with dumb retweets, unfollow them. It won't take long at all before you'll have a nice, curated stream of cool stuff from real people. Don't give a poo poo if anyone follows you back or if you unfollow someone who follows you, you're there for cool stuff, not to build a drat brand.

And never, ever follow anyone you know in real life or tell them your handle. It's a really amazing place if you do that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I like how just due to the scalloped borders it already profoundly exceeds my cake decorating skills, which largely consist of me adding too much food coloring to canned frosting and then cursing when I get cake crumbs all over everything.