Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I've seen plenty of people say that the "clean your room" line is disingenuous or used to distract from real issues, but never that you shouldn't clean your room.

There were some posts in that general direction earlier (that I am too lazy to go find). Some folks are just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I will go on record saying that not only should you never clean your room but that you should be actively making it messier at every opportunity.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

BogDew posted:

Oh it's pretty amazing. Chris gets introduced in "Make Friends with the People who Want the Best for you" which is a semi-autobiographical romp through his young adult life. Mainly revealing he really didn't like the nightlife of Fairview Alberta and saw everyone to be drunken, stoned losers in a backwater town that had a reputation for killing all the loser cats with it's icy weather.

Chris, and his cousin Ed, are described as angry kids from a somewhat unstable family and seem to be drunk or stoned most of the time. Chris initially gets described as being part of a deadbeat crew eventually having a psychotic break in his thirties and killing himself. Peterson attempts to muse on this

Waaay later in the book Peterson revisits Chris in the chapter "Don't bother kids while they are skateboarding".
Peterson starts "More about Chris" with the awkward admission that he saw himself superior than "the native kids" and recounts some bizarre tale of one-upping a kid in his school. Which serves as a bizarre setup to explain Chris' actions.

Basically Chris becomes the poster child for any pot-smoking arty type who happens to care about others.

Later on in Peterson's life (I'm presuming the 90s) a lost in life Chris rocks up to visit and subsequently stays over.

Unsurprisingly this didn't please his friend.

Yeah. Some clinical psychologist you are. Instead of perhaps trying to to use your skills to help him, you dismiss your friend as being a literal agent of biblical evil, conspire behind his back to turn others against him and ultimately turn him into a moralistic story about keeping potentially bad people out of your life in an act of self preservation.
Also note how Peterson constantly is bringing up his family and accomplishments. He can't help rub it in that he's better off than his poor mate.

Amazing.

I had to bold this as Peterson previously described him as dying in his thirties from a psychotic break potentially caused by weed.

This is all wrapped up in his nonsense idea that the world is governed off some sort of survival of the fittest hierarchy and you have to be top lobster to rise above all the chaotic forces setting you back. Such as your own self inflicted benzo addiction started because your wife threatened to leave you if you didn't stop ranting about the commies.

lol wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNqrffvwSFU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think the interesting thing about JP is how the left is almost singlehandedly responsible for making him famous. Comparatively speaking, his grift and lovely views are some of the most milquetoast and benign of the time especially when compared to his contemporaries of the time like Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos and other poo poo disturbers. He got attacked and brigaded with the full fury of the sun, given a few interviews where he stayed calm and the interviewer attempted to force him to say what they wanted. I mean they even edited interviews to swap answers with other questions in the same interview to make him seem worse. Invariably since there was such a big stink around him and he had some sort of goofy philosophy to back him up, chuds turned to him like a new messiah.

Now this disheveled shell of a man announces a new book from his filthy office and the Left is here to scream a moral panic about his new book ensuring that it will sell well to chuds again long after they've moved on from him. We on the left should just laugh at him as we are doing right here on the forums and let him get back to thinking about his mom's muff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Tarkus posted:

I think the interesting thing about JP is how the left is almost singlehandedly responsible for making him famous. Comparatively speaking, his grift and lovely views are some of the most milquetoast and benign of the time especially when compared to his contemporaries of the time like Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos and other poo poo disturbers. He got attacked and brigaded with the full fury of the sun, given a few interviews where he stayed calm and the interviewer attempted to force him to say what they wanted. I mean they even edited interviews to swap answers with other questions in the same interview to make him seem worse. Invariably since there was such a big stink around him and he had some sort of goofy philosophy to back him up, chuds turned to him like a new messiah.

Now this disheveled shell of a man announces a new book from his filthy office and the Left is here to scream a moral panic about his new book ensuring that it will sell well to chuds again long after they've moved on from him. We on the left should just laugh at him as we are doing right here on the forums and let him get back to thinking about his mom's muff.

cool victim blaming

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tarkus posted:

Grandma's muff

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Cleaning your room IS bad advice for depressed or demotivated people, imo. Are you likely to get out of bed if the task awaiting you is thankless drudgery that immediately brings to mind nagging parents and scolding teachers? Hell no. gently caress your room, it’s not important, just line up some nice things for yourself to do or eat instead (and junk food + scrolling Twitter doesn’t count). When you feel good you’ll be more likely to make your environment look good (or maybe not, and if not, who cares as long as it’s not unhealthy).

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yes chuds known for getting their info from the left. Not like they have a million Youtube channels...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's poo poo-stirrer! :mad:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tarkus posted:

What an interesting kind of brain to have.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
We need to keep making threads like this. If not only to draw in all the dipshit takes like "JP is actually really smart and you're taking him out of context" or "actually it's you guys mocking him that made him famous."

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I just wish they would stick around and actually defend their viewpoints rather than these weak-rear end drivebys.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's true that the left helped platform JBP early on by never shutting up about him. I remember complaining about this years ago before he was well known

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Grimdude posted:

"actually it's you guys mocking him that made him famous."

Neonazis have this whole rationalization that without them antifascists would be purposeless in life, therefore ANTIFA secretly needs Neonazis and is obsessed with them.

Tarkus arguing that Jorp and his fame are the left's fault is essentially the same argument.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

xtal posted:

It's true that the left helped platform JBP early on by never shutting up about him. I remember complaining about this years ago before he was well known

I think it was his testimony for a Canadian Parliamentary committee about transgender rights taking away his freedoms that platformed him more than anything.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Clean yo dick

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

no

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'll defend my viewpoint. Here we are on a forum that is ostensibly left-wing and we are here talking about him at length. I watch left-wing news commentators and they've all talked about it. I've taken the liberty to take a look over on the right wing side of things and it's nothing but crickets except for a few talking heads talking about how the left is mad about it. Ben Shapiro, Crowder and Rubin have not interviewed him in two years or talked about his book (as far as I can tell). Nobody on the right wing cares about him, they've moved on. He is and always was only relevant to us at first.

We went completely overboard on him back when he had one stupid (public) hot take and brought him to prominence when his poo poo went viral. Before that point, the right-wing had nothing to do with him, in fact he was basically considered left of center and had only a couple non-controversial tv appearance on Ontario TV before then. Then when he seemed to trigger the libs he was a messiah of sorts for right-wingers until he got addicted to benzos and went weirder than normal. He wasn't somebody with a huge platform nor did he have any sway in public policy, he was a goofy psychology professor with some uninteresting, poorly-selling books.

The way I see it, sometimes we create our own monsters. The left are people too and we're not always completely victims of circumstance. Should we not have criticized JP? no, of course we should have criticized him. Should we have treated a campfire like JP to the same degree as a raging forest fire? No.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Us mocking him on a dead private forum didn't sell his books or schedule any of his interviews. To claim he was in any way empowered by SA is ludicrous.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tarkus posted:

The way I see it, sometimes we create our own monsters. The left are people too and we're not always completely victims of circumstance. Should we not have criticized JP? no, of course we should have criticized him. Should we have treated a campfire like JP to the same degree as a raging forest fire? No.

He rose to fame negating the sexual identity of transgender people specifically and queer people generally. And he degrades women .And he poses for pictures with white supremacists smiling. "The Left" didn't do any of these things and rightly pointed out they were offensive. If you want to defend him, that say more about you than any vague admonitions against "The Left"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

nevermind the fact that Joe Rogan did basically nothing to combat any of Jurdon Peppers' insane views upon his first 5 visits to the show

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grimdude posted:

Us mocking him on a dead private forum didn't sell his books or schedule any of his interviews. To claim he was in any way empowered by SA is ludicrous.

better not make fun of anything stupid, lest we shoot our Marbles at it and only make it Stronger

complaining about people complaining is already kind of pointless but complaining that complaining is a form of visibility, that's just phantom brained

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Another Bill posted:

He rose to fame negating the sexual identity of transgender people specifically and queer people generally. And he degrades women .And he poses for pictures with white supremacists smiling. "The Left" didn't do any of these things and rightly pointed out they were offensive. If you want to defend him, that say more about you than any vague admonitions against "The Left"

Yes, but these are mostly things he did after he became a symbol for the right and he espoused his more 'deeply' held beliefs. I mean, we can't control what the right-wing does and I'm not saying we helped make JP what he is intentionally but we certainly played a big helping role in bringing him to the forefront. I mean, in the days of buzzfeed and gawker I recall there being countless articles about him being 'basically Hitler!' and freaking out non-stop about him just as he was going viral. That kind of media attention where you elevate somebody as a god-like monster tends to help them appeal to those who like monsters. Again, criticism and derision isn't the same as full blown panic. And to be honest, I think that we've gotten better with not dialing everything up to 11 regardless of severity since that time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tarkus posted:

I'll defend my viewpoint. Here we are on a forum that is ostensibly left-wing and we are here talking about him at length. I watch left-wing news commentators and they've all talked about it. I've taken the liberty to take a look over on the right wing side of things and it's nothing but crickets except for a few talking heads talking about how the left is mad about it. Ben Shapiro, Crowder and Rubin have not interviewed him in two years or talked about his book (as far as I can tell). Nobody on the right wing cares about him, they've moved on. He is and always was only relevant to us at first.

We went completely overboard on him back when he had one stupid (public) hot take and brought him to prominence when his poo poo went viral. Before that point, the right-wing had nothing to do with him, in fact he was basically considered left of center and had only a couple non-controversial tv appearance on Ontario TV before then. Then when he seemed to trigger the libs he was a messiah of sorts for right-wingers until he got addicted to benzos and went weirder than normal. He wasn't somebody with a huge platform nor did he have any sway in public policy, he was a goofy psychology professor with some uninteresting, poorly-selling books.

I think your basic premise isn't wrong, that the left plays a role in boosting its own enemies (as the right also does*) but I think you're crediting too much of his success to that boosting. I don't think mockery of Peterson has made him popular so much as it has bolstered the people who were already die-hard for him. People seeing their best boy get made fun of got activated and proselytized even harder. I don't think you can really say that the left "single-handedly" brought him to prominence, because no matter what we might think of him, some dimension of him appeals to some people out there. The paradox of Peterson is that what is so mock-worthy about him is that in almost all of those dimensions he is so specious and nebulous that he can't be pinned down to any one position on anything, but that very thing is what allows people to find something in him to identify with and is what makes him broadly appealing. And he is broadly appealing even outside of the extremely online spaces, because he's the only one of this coalition of toads that I regularly see people reading or hear them talking about, people who are otherwise very "normie" for lack of a better term. Less so recently, but in 2018 or so after the first 12 Rules came out, he was definitely "around," especially, crucially, among a much younger set. Nobody under 55 gives a poo poo about Ben Shapiro.

The reason it seems like leftists may be largely responsible for Peterson's breakout is because you, like most of us, absorb him by proxy through leftist spaces like much of SA is. If leftists are the only ones you see talking about him, even mockingly, it's sure going to seem like this guy's getting an awful lot of attention in the left sphere/Breadtube/whatever space of choice you happen to occupy

*The obvious point of comparison here is AOC, who, if you pay any attention to right spaces, has the world-shaking power of a minor god, who is coming to steal all of your beef and coal away from you, in spite of being a single member of the House

Heath fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 2, 2020

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Tarkus posted:

Yes, but these are mostly things he did after he became a symbol for the right and he espoused his more 'deeply' held beliefs. I mean, we can't control what the right-wing does and I'm not saying we helped make JP what he is intentionally but we certainly played a big helping role in bringing him to the forefront. I mean, in the days of buzzfeed and gawker I recall there being countless articles about him being 'basically Hitler!' and freaking out non-stop about him just as he was going viral. That kind of media attention where you elevate somebody as a god-like monster tends to help them appeal to those who like monsters. Again, criticism and derision isn't the same as full blown panic. And to be honest, I think that we've gotten better with not dialing everything up to 11 regardless of severity since that time.

Here's the thing: I don't read buzzfeed or gawker or even twitter. I think your problem is less "The Left" and more "Being Too Online"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Heath posted:

I think your basic premise isn't wrong, that the left plays a role in boosting its own enemies (as the right also does*) but I think you're crediting too much of his success to that boosting. I don't think mockery of Peterson has made him popular so much as it has bolstered the people who were already die-hard for him. People seeing their best boy get made fun of got activated and proselytized even harder. I don't think you can really say that the left "single-handedly" brought him to prominence, because no matter what we might think of him, some dimension of him appeals to some people out there. The paradox of Peterson is that what is so mock-worthy about him is that in almost all of those dimensions he is so specious and nebulous that he can't be pinned down to any one position on anything, but that very thing is what allows people to find something in him to identify with and is what makes him broadly appealing. And he is broadly appealing even outside of the extremely online spaces, because he's the only one of this coalition of toads that I regularly see people reading or hear them talking about, people who are otherwise very "normie" for lack of a better term. Less so recently, but in 2018 or so after the first 12 Rules came out, he was definitely "around," especially, crucially, among a much younger set. Nobody under 55 gives a poo poo about Ben Shapiro.

The reason it seems like leftists may be largely responsible for Peterson's breakout is because you, like most of us, absorb him by proxy through leftist spaces like much of SA is. If leftists are the only ones you see talking about him, even mockingly, it's sure going to seem like this guy's getting an awful lot of attention in the left sphere/Breadtube/whatever space of choice you happen to occupy

*The obvious point of comparison here is AOC, who, if you pay any attention to right spaces, has the world-shaking power of a minor god, who is coming to steal all of your beef and coal away from you, in spite of being a single member of the House

I didn't really think of it that way. I agree completely.

Another Bill posted:

Here's the thing: I don't read buzzfeed or gawker or even twitter. I think your problem is less "The Left" and more "Being Too Online"

True. Though I would add that much of the vocal left is 'too online' as well.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
jorp is a dumbass but the whole thing about him posing for a picture with Literal White Supremacists is dumb poo poo nonsense. he posed with two chronically online dork asses holding a loving Pepe flag and one of them made the OK hand symbol because it triggers overly self-serious libs.

look at that idiot's stupid twirly moustache and tell me that is the face of hatred. the only hate crime that dude has committed is against facial hair

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I do wonder how you manage to both put on a suit and carry a Pepe flag around and somehow manage to avoid the freight train of ironic detachment colliding with whatever you see in the mirror. Like why are you even attempting to look dignified while carrying that thing around

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, if that guy isn't a white supremacist he's sure doing a hell of a job trying to emulate one:

A maga hat (as far as I can tell), a lovely mustache that belongs on a villain from an Old Western film, and "ironically" doing something "to trigger the libs."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Another Bill posted:

Slotducks posted:

nevermind the fact that Joe Rogan did basically nothing to combat any of Jurdon Peppers' insane views upon his first 5 visits to the show

If anything, the media was the one who signal-boosted him by constantly showing him as "controversial" on a subject that he a) was wrong about, and should have been rightfully called out on being wrong, and b) being cited as an expert in a field that he knew nothing about.

I mean, it can't ever be said enough that the law he was rallying around not only already existed on the provincial level (which carries more-or-less the same enforceable effect as a federal Canadian law), but hadn't done what he had claimed it would do to his "rights" in the subsequent years.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Jim Long-un posted:

jorp is a dumbass but the whole thing about him posing for a picture with Literal White Supremacists is dumb poo poo nonsense. he posed with two chronically online dork asses holding a loving Pepe flag and one of them made the OK hand symbol because it triggers overly self-serious libs.

look at that idiot's stupid twirly moustache and tell me that is the face of hatred. the only hate crime that dude has committed is against facial hair

I do think that he tended to align himself with white supremacists but I will say this. When you're a public figure and you meet hundreds of people in a day, there's a good chance that some of the ones you take a picture with will be bad in some way. That's why I don't put much weight in photos of public figures sharing a photo with the wrong types of people since it's impossible to avoid. I'm sure I could find a picture of Bernie sharing a photo op with white supremacists given enough time and incentive.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

the most brainwormed take that infects our degenerate culture today is that ideas alone are somehow impermissibly dangerous and the mere act of expressing something Incorrect is social violence. people take to this bullshit due to material circumstance you boobs. blame austerity, blame our country's degeneration into a parasitic tumor on the rear end of the military-industrial complex, blame our political class who have built and honed their entire craft around endlessly exploiting and desolating people's hopes and dreams while explaining that social action is individual action and therefore the reason our society sucks is because you suck as an individual and therefore your problems are your own individual fault. do not blame Joe Rogan, the MMA announcer guy who is utterly fascinated by the idea of a gorilla working out. the fact that he did not heroically slap down jorp for being a dumbass does not mean it is Joe Rogan's fault that jorp exists and is nominally successful, nor should he be expected or required to. posting, podcasting, and punditry will not magically transform the world into the one that agrees with your sensibilities

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

If anything, the media was the one who signal-boosted him by constantly showing him as "controversial" on a subject that he a) was wrong about, and should have been rightfully called out on being wrong, and b) being cited as an expert in a field that he knew nothing about.

there are at least a few pretty good reasons why you shouldn't expect for-profit media megacorps that uncritically print natsec propaganda to be the Guardians of Truth

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jim Long-un posted:

I'm 90% sure I knew that dude back in university and if he's who I think he is, he's both a gigantic goober and also 100% did become a serious racist.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Grimdude posted:

We need to keep making threads like this. If not only to draw in all the dipshit takes like "JP is actually really smart and you're taking him out of context" or "actually it's you guys mocking him that made him famous."

"Jordan Peterson: Better Than Ben Shapiro, At Least"

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Speaking of: I was never able to finish any of the Jorgan podcasts, videos, or whatever. Is there any single one worth listening to to the end since there are like 1500 videos clocking at 3 hours each?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Galewolf posted:

Speaking of: I was never able to finish any of the Jorgan podcasts, videos, or whatever. Is there any single one worth listening to to the end since there are like 1500 videos clocking at 3 hours each?

977 - Jeff Evans and Bud Brutsman

Jeff B. Evans is an adventurer, expedition leader, high-altitude medic, physician assistant, speaker, facilitator and tv personality. Bud Brutsman is a television show creator, executive producer, known for shows such as Overhaulin', Rides, and King of the Cage.

Bud basically doesn't say poo poo during the episode and Jeff just tells crazy stories about his travels as a doctor and medic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jim Long-un posted:

the most brainwormed take that infects our degenerate culture today is that ideas alone are somehow impermissibly dangerous and the mere act of expressing something Incorrect is social violence. people take to this bullshit due to material circumstance you boobs. blame austerity, blame our country's degeneration into a parasitic tumor on the rear end of the military-industrial complex, blame our political class who have built and honed their entire craft around endlessly exploiting and desolating people's hopes and dreams while explaining that social action is individual action and therefore the reason our society sucks is because you suck as an individual and therefore your problems are your own individual fault. do not blame Joe Rogan, the MMA announcer guy who is utterly fascinated by the idea of a gorilla working out. the fact that he did not heroically slap down jorp for being a dumbass does not mean it is Joe Rogan's fault that jorp exists and is nominally successful, nor should he be expected or required to. posting, podcasting, and punditry will not magically transform the world into the one that agrees with your sensibilities

The Joe Rogan defender has logged on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Galewolf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwvmpVbggCU