Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Galewolf posted:

Speaking of: I was never able to finish any of the Jorgan podcasts, videos, or whatever. Is there any single one worth listening to to the end since there are like 1500 videos clocking at 3 hours each?

I like this one, but it's about UFO's and the military pilot who has a confirmed sighting of one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eco2s3-0zsQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Check this out:

Jordan Skeeterson

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Cleaning your room IS bad advice for depressed or demotivated people, imo. Are you likely to get out of bed if the task awaiting you is thankless drudgery that immediately brings to mind nagging parents and scolding teachers? Hell no. gently caress your room, it’s not important, just line up some nice things for yourself to do or eat instead (and junk food + scrolling Twitter doesn’t count). When you feel good you’ll be more likely to make your environment look good (or maybe not, and if not, who cares as long as it’s not unhealthy).

My experience as a person with depression is that at least straightening something up and keeping poo poo vaguely in order is super helpful for my mood. Combination of actually having an effect on things around me and also no longer existing in abject squalor.

Grimdude posted:

I mean, if that guy isn't a white supremacist he's sure doing a hell of a job trying to emulate one:

A maga hat (as far as I can tell), a lovely mustache that belongs on a villain from an Old Western film, and "ironically" doing something "to trigger the libs."

Dumb facial hair isn't an indicator of a white supremacist so much as an indicator of a huge dweeb. I've known plenty of antiracist dudes with absolutely ridiculous taste in facial hair.

I don't know whether it's accurate to say that the Left created its monsters, but I definitely know that it doesn't matter for the purposes of this thread, which is dunking on Jorp and his weird, weird beliefs and his trainwreck life. His chuddiness is less interesting than his bizarre ideas and his inability to read.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

THE NEW BLUE THEME OF SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS REPRESENTS THE CULTURAL DEMISE OF THE PARTRIARCH AND BLUE IS THE COLOUR OF CHAOS. IN THIS TWO HOUR LECTURE I WILL ENDLESSLY BLOVIATE ABOUT HOW BLUE IS CHAOS BECAUSE THE OCEAN SOMETIMES IS BLUE AND IT EATS UP ISOLATED AND LONELY CRAB FISHERMEN THAT I LIKED ON THE HIT SHOW THE DEADLIEST CATCH I DOCTOR GARDEN TEETERSON WILL GET TO THE ROOT OF THE BLUE THEME WITHIN OUR LIVES IT MAKES US SAD YOU KNOW AND THATS WHAT THEY WANT US TO FEEL DAMNIT BLOODY SAD

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Slotducks posted:

977 - Jeff Evans and Bud Brutsman

Jeff B. Evans is an adventurer, expedition leader, high-altitude medic, physician assistant, speaker, facilitator and tv personality. Bud Brutsman is a television show creator, executive producer, known for shows such as Overhaulin', Rides, and King of the Cage.

Bud basically doesn't say poo poo during the episode and Jeff just tells crazy stories about his travels as a doctor and medic.

Thank you goon friend, listened the initial 10 minutes and Everest rescues and the rest sounds my kinda jam.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Tarkus posted:

I like this one, but it's about UFO's and the military pilot who has a confirmed sighting of one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eco2s3-0zsQ

Oh yeah, last years weird happenings that got swept aside by roni (it was during Fall 19, iirc), thanks!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Galewolf posted:

Thank you goon friend, listened the initial 10 minutes and Everest rescues and the rest sounds my kinda jam.

It's the only one that's stuck out to me since I stopped listening. Maybe the Steven Rinella ones? He really opened my mind up to hunting (which is weird as I'm a vegetarian) and he's a good writer.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Long-un posted:

it triggers overly self-serious libs

Jim Long-un posted:

our degenerate culture

these are the cool words that good people use

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I mean, there are names I might want to listen to there but especially during this pandemic I cannot imagine listening to Tom loving Green (which might be a good one, tbh) for 2 hours when the world is on fire.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Who What Now posted:

The dissapointing part is you know Jarl won't come back

I wrote that post just before going to bed. Had to finish work, then gym, then help a friend out. When I finally had time I was already put on probation for having put a slur into that post.

However, I wouldn't bereave any of you for the opportunity for more lulz so here we go.

Heath posted:

The fact is that there are only two genders and nothing you say will change that, and furthermore

I gather that happens a lot, but I can assure you that I wont spout such things.

Who What Now posted:

Question, did you read 12 Rules for Life and if so what did you think about his grandma's pubes?

HAHAHA! Omg that is ridiculously weird. Didn't know about that. https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/9702164-i-dreamed-i-saw-my-maternal-grandmother-sitting-by-the

I knew it couldn't be in 12 rules for life; I definitely would have remembered that. It is from his much older book Maps of Meaning which I haven't read (I think relatively few people have).

To be fair he is describing a dream he had. One wonders what compelled him to put it in his book. Hopefully it makes at least a bit of sense in context, but I imagine another dream would have sufficed. :D

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Incredibly smart person: I never see all the times he gets owned or is wrong when I watch his videos, obviously they must not exist. I mean, what, you think he goes out of his way to hide them or downplay them to make him look better or something?

https://twitter.com/zei_squirrel/status/1331506257568600064?s=20

The first video: Jordan's answer is stupid and he ends up realizing this at the end when he considers the logic the interviewer argues for. It would have been bad if Jordan didn't acknowledge this, but he does. Quickly even. (Love Jim's standup btw)

The second video: What Jordan says in that video is weird.

I'm an atheist and actively signed myself out of the church (English is my second language and couldn't figure out a better phrase) years ago. I don't fault anybody for being religious or thinking religion has some unique virtue as long as they don't force me to live my live a certain way.
However, regarding religion what he is typically arguing for is that the values from religion, still deeply embedded in our culture, continues to have merit.

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

He got famous for speaking out against a bill that would help transgender people. He didn't understand the Bill and thus spread misinformation about it because he believed it infringed on his hypothetically right to call people by the pronoun he believes is correct.

As far as I understood he fought compelled speech. I.e. that you should be able to fine or fire people for not using the right words (pronouns in this case). To me such a law is strange to begin with and sets an uncomfortable precedent. What other things will you be forced to say in the future? Control speech and you can change how people think (not "death camps" but "concentration camps"). I know this case seems minor but precedents are important.
As CGP Grey (random youtuber) says about precedents in a random video: "And it's why people freak out over court cases that lay down a new brick in a new area. It's not about this brick. It's about what will, inevitably, be built on top of it." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZpsxnmmbE&feature=youtu.be&t=106

5,5 minutes from the Senate hearing on bill C16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o01ebidd1IU

Another Bill posted:

I'm not watching those videos but here's your hero with his arm around a white supremacist making a white supremacist hand sign holding a white supremacist flag.

As many other speakers/authors he does this thing where you can get your picture taken with him when he is touring/signing books. These two guys are in the queue and very quickly gets their photo taken with him holding a prop. There is nothing more to it. He doesn't know them or support them.
I can't find it now, but I remember an interview about that photo where he said the blood drained from his face when he noticed what was on the flag since he knew that it would be used against him. - And boy has it.

About his addiction:
When his wife was diagnosed as terminal ill he handled it poorly. Hence he was prescribed these pills without thinking more of it. Turns out those pills are quite dangerous.
After having tried multiple treatment centers in USA Jordan's daughter became convinced that the only place that could help him was this treatment center in Russia. Seems like they took care of it.

Heath posted:

Go ahead and enunciate a few of the points he makes in those videos instead of just dropping them in a thread where nobody will watch them

I think he says a lot of good stuff. Some of it might be obvious, but people don't act like it. Again, these are just random samples, but this time with a short explanation as requested (don't mind their stupid titles).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vknhe2CbvmI Why you would probably have been a nazi in nazi-germany and why it's important to know that about yourselves. Because if you think you are fundamentally good and harmless you are probably very dangerous to those around you and society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvrpJaTLGmQ Rights and responsibilities and why we need responsibilities in order to justify our existence to ourselves. Also "your rights are my responsibility" so you can't talk about rights without talking about responsibility, but we are only having half the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmUdcWk6Vfw#t=25s How rare creativity is (even though we often hear the mantra that everybody is creative), and how companies often rely on the work of relatively few people, and why that can bring down big corporations fast. Also a bit about why it's hard to get creative people into the right positions in corporations. Partly because it's very hard to evaluate creativity since anything you can make metrics of must already have been encountered substantially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyb7vj4LGXk&list=WL&index=2 It can be a curse to be truly creative since it is so difficult to monetize; e.g. you need economic backing and at that point the backers don't need you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7STtjfoWz38 There are a small number of insane men who will do nothing but work. The question is not "why are these men in positions of power" but instead "why are there any men insane enough to occupy those positions". - I think that this is taken from the first video I saw with Jordan. At the time I didn't know anything about compelled speech in Canada or all the other stuff. I just thought he made some interesting points and stuck around for a while.

I get it. You disagree with the man. I don't agree with him about climate change or all his views on religion (and probably other stuff I'm unaware of), but it seems you ascribe intent that I just don't see.

I guess I'll show myself out. :downs:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

be precise in your speech not loving write a treatise jesus

Edit: you're a loving idiot if you conflate the concept of "don't say this" ('Fire!' in a crowded theater) and "You must say this" ("Kim Jong Un is the lord and savior) in compelled speech terms.

You can choose to not use pronouns at all and just refer to people as names you loving dimwit. it's not compelled speech end of loving story.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 2, 2020

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That Bill wasn't new you loving clown. If workplace harrasment bills have existed for decades without you whining about it, why do you suddenly, out of nowhere, claim it's "compelled speech" when they add trans people onto it? Like they didn't even make a new Bill, they just amended an existing one. Was it compelled speech when you couldn't follow a woman around your job or school telling her that she's only good for making babies? What about constantly making fried chicken jokes at a black student who you don't know personally? What about making AIDS remarks to a gay coworker without their consenting? Now it's legally enforceable, just like all those other circumstances, to ding you if you deliberately and maliciously constantly misgender your trans man or trans woman coworker despite their repeated pleas to be treated as a human being.

God forbid there are laws in place to regulate workplace behavioral standards so people who are victimized by employers or coworkers have a means of defending themselves.

This poo poo is so fake and wack, typical Peterson style discourse, say vague, noncommittal "what-ifs" and pretend no one is going to notice implicit context.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The reason you're not "ascribing intent" is because just like Jordan Peterson you say vacuous, pithy bullshit and only skirt around what you really mean because you're a yellow belly who is afraid of the consequences of outright admitting what you're thinking.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

nevermind the fact that Joe Rogan did basically nothing to combat any of Jurdon Peppers' insane views upon his first 5 visits to the show

I dont feel like digging it up but I remember he did point out some contradiction regarding being a monster to your kid or something and old jorp basically back peddled.

I havent watch all 40,000 hours of Joe but the two interviews that stick out to me where he was hostile to his guests were that Adam dude, and That fat gammer gate dude who he even poo poo off because he kept talking about anita

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jim Long-un posted:

the most brainwormed take that infects our degenerate culture today is that ideas alone are somehow impermissibly dangerous and the mere act of expressing something Incorrect is social violence. people take to this bullshit due to material circumstance you boobs. blame austerity, blame our country's degeneration into a parasitic tumor on the rear end of the military-industrial complex, blame our political class who have built and honed their entire craft around endlessly exploiting and desolating people's hopes and dreams while explaining that social action is individual action and therefore the reason our society sucks is because you suck as an individual and therefore your problems are your own individual fault. do not blame Joe Rogan, the MMA announcer guy who is utterly fascinated by the idea of a gorilla working out. the fact that he did not heroically slap down jorp for being a dumbass does not mean it is Joe Rogan's fault that jorp exists and is nominally successful, nor should he be expected or required to. posting, podcasting, and punditry will not magically transform the world into the one that agrees with your sensibilities

gb2reddit

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Choad Blogan lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Oh boy I sure do disagree with Kordan Weeberston a lot - but I'm still going to continually defend him online like it's my calling to do so because reasons

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

That Bill wasn't new you loving clown. If workplace harrasment bills have existed for decades without you whining about it, why do you suddenly, out of nowhere, claim it's "compelled speech" when they add trans people onto it? Like they didn't even make a new Bill, they just amended an existing one. Was it compelled speech when you couldn't follow a woman around your job or school telling her that she's only good for making babies? What about constantly making fried chicken jokes at a black student who you don't know personally? What about making AIDS remarks to a gay coworker without their consenting? Now it's legally enforceable, just like all those other circumstances, to ding you if you deliberately and maliciously constantly misgender your trans man or trans woman coworker despite their repeated pleas to be treated as a human being.

God forbid there are laws in place to regulate workplace behavioral standards so people who are victimized by employers or coworkers have a means of defending themselves.

This poo poo is so fake and wack, typical Peterson style discourse, say vague, noncommittal "what-ifs" and pretend no one is going to notice implicit context.

Like I said, the Ontario government had added the exact same amendment at the provincial level.

And for those Jorp fans who don't know, Ontario is the province in which Toronto, as in the University of Toronto, where he worked, is situated. So if all of his doomsaying about compelled speech had any merit whatsoever, it would've been wise to protest it when it was first enacted, instead of later when the hypothetical effects of such a law were already understood.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

you'd think Jordan would've learned his lesson after dipping his toe in the legal world the first time:

https://pressprogress.ca/jordan-peterson-was-an-expert-witness-in-a-murder-trial-the-court-called-his-expert-opinions-dubious/

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jarl posted:

As far as I understood he fought compelled speech. I.e. that you should be able to fine or fire people for not using the right words (pronouns in this case). To me such a law is strange to begin with and sets an uncomfortable precedent. What other things will you be forced to say in the future? Control speech and you can change how people think (not "death camps" but "concentration camps"). I know this case seems minor but precedents are important.

bill C16 doesn't compel speech. it simply says that gender identification can be protected against discrimination, as in deliberately misgendering a person can get you in legal trouble. if you call a transman "she" and you are corrected, then you continue to incorrectly refer to that man as "she", then it would be valid for someone to allege discrimination. it's the same as continually referring to people as slurs based on their race or sexual orientation. anyone (not you) who claims anything like "it is my right to refer to you by the n-word and you cannot compel me to respect you" is incredibly suspicious and i happily welcome any precedent which makes it legally actionable to punish someone for deliberately disrespecting someone else under a protected class

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 2, 2020

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Jarl posted:

As CGP Grey (random youtuber) says about precedents in a random video: "And it's why people freak out over court cases that lay down a new brick in a new area. It's not about this brick. It's about what will, inevitably, be built on top of it." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZpsxnmmbE&feature=youtu.be&t=106

5,5 minutes from the Senate hearing on bill C16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o01ebidd1IU

You clearly took some time writing up this screed. It's a pity you didn't spend the 30 seconds it would take to figure out whether Peterson is full of poo poo on this topich. Which he quite clearly is: https://torontoist.com/2016/12/are-jordan-petersons-claims-about-bill-c-16-correct/

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Jarl posted:

The first video: Jordan's answer is stupid and he ends up realizing this at the end when he considers the logic the interviewer argues for. It would have been bad if Jordan didn't acknowledge this, but he does. Quickly even. (Love Jim's standup btw)

Do you honestly think he changed his stance after that interview? Or did he just admit being wrong in the moment because he didn't really have a choice and realized he got caught up in his own bullshit?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Oh man could you imagine who a bunch of chuds would take more seriously in the topic of legal matter? A whole association of BAR leveled lawyers or a psychology professor https://www.cba.org/News-Media/News/2017/May/CBA-position-on-Bill-C-16

Grimdude posted:

Do you honestly think he changed his stance after that interview? Or did he just admit being wrong in the moment because he didn't really have a choice and realized he got caught up in his own bullshit?

Note the very Twordon Keeferson "maybe" in his final response; he always leaves the door open

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I get what you're saying but I disagree with most of it since it's mostly coming from the horses mouth in terms of 'why' or 'how' something happened. The compelled speech thing is false. It was part of an existing law and didn't work the way he said it did. And while I understand and even agree with some of the arguments against certain hate speech laws, I get why they exist and agree with their use as long as they're not abused since they seem to be necessary. For example, Harper used the hate speech laws to punish public criticism of Israel under the assumption that it was anti-Semitic. Not sure if any of it ever stuck or got used.

I will agree that some of the core stuff he taught is reasonable and maybe even useful, it's just the wild meanderings piled on top of that foundation that is an issue. Plus I would say his increasingly right-wing beliefs made him suck more as he got brought into the fold as a right-wing darling.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Slotducks posted:

you'd think Jordan would've learned his lesson after dipping his toe in the legal world the first time:

https://pressprogress.ca/jordan-peterson-was-an-expert-witness-in-a-murder-trial-the-court-called-his-expert-opinions-dubious/

quote:

In the end, the court restricted Peterson’s proposed evidence “significantly,” even recommending he use “scripting” to prevent him from rambling to the jury on topics “not pertinent to the matter before the court.”

Which rule was it about speaking clearly and getting to the point? :lol:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jarl posted:

What's bad is that even though he "acknowledges" that he doesnt actually change his mind. He still makes the exact same dumbshit argument about baking cakes for gay people being oppresion. So on top of being a grifter jackass he's a liar and a hypocrite too.

quote:

There was no compelled speech in the bill. What there was was prohibitions on harassing a trans person in regards to their gender identity. Peterson straight up lied to you. Because that's what liars do, they lie. So there was no precedent being set to worry about, just a lecherous old man mad that it would be harder to do targeted harrassment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Who What Now posted:

What's bad is that even though he "acknowledges" that he doesnt actually change his mind. He still makes the exact same dumbshit argument about baking cakes for gay people being oppresion. So on top of being a grifter jackass he's a liar and a hypocrite too.

Also, doing a EXTREMELY BASIC ethical comparison like this would be one of the first things you would expect a 'leading' thinker to consider.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Swagdon Geetersim

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

icantclose mydoorwithastudentpresentson

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Jordung Weepyson

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yankton Goiterchin

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

idhateto behisson

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Who What Now posted:

Dr. Peterson said, "Be precise in your speech," not "be truthful in your speech." Checkmate, chaos dragonailures.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

NO DAD YOU CANT JUST BARGE INTO MY ROOM CLAIMING YOURE HEARING THE CHAOS OF MY YOUTH BECOMING UNBOUNDED I NEED MY PRIVATE SPACE JESUS

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Slotducks posted:

Oh boy I sure do disagree with Kordan Weeberston a lot - but I'm still going to continually defend him online like it's my calling to do so because reasons

Yeah, the rarely seen "I'm just answering questions!" defense lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Joedeen Codeinstein truly changed my life - and this time I'm legit not lying

yeah he pushed me further to the left. owned cuck righties

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jarl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vknhe2CbvmI Why you would probably have been a nazi in nazi-germany and why it's important to know that about yourselves. Because if you think you are fundamentally good and harmless you are probably very dangerous to those around you and society.

Jordan Peterson confirming that his followers mindlessly parrot what authoritarians tell them isn't quite the own you think it is.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
My favourite thing about jordo is i get to whip out my totally hack impression of him and talk about the vile seductress that is ms piggy

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jarl posted:

You are either the person who wants to put people into camps or you somehow managed to type out this whole paragraph without actually considering what you are saying.

Society pretty much universally believes in restricting speech. You cannot say things indicitative of criminal action on your part (e.g. "give me your wallet or I'll stab you."), nor falsehoods liable to result in bodily harm (e.g. shouting "fire" in a crowded theater). Unless you believe people should face no repercussions for saying such things, you believe speech should be restricted in certain cases.

Functional societies extend this to speech that is not immediately dangerous, but still harmful. You should not shout slurs at minorities, you should not harass people, stuff like that. That is what Jordan Peterson fought against, legislation protecting a marginalized group from harassment and abuse. This is not compelled speech; no one is ever forced to use someone's preferred pronouns, they just face repercussions for willfully and deliberately misgendering people with the intent of harassing them. If referring to a woman as "she" or even the neutral "they" is so unbearable to you, it is on you to find a way to just avoid using pronouns altogether.

Unless you believe being barred from shouting the n-word at strangers is somehow compelled speech, you do not believe bill C16 is compelled speech, you're just looking for a veneer to lay over your own transphobia.

Jarl posted:

I'm sad you didn't post this argument, because I am not going to actually look at a Jorp link but I kind of want to hear how he says he definitely would be a nazi if given the chance and assumes it applies universally.

mojo1701a posted:

Dr. Peterson said, "Be precise in your speech," not "be truthful in your speech." Checkmate, chaos dragonailures.

One of the rules is, no poo poo, "tell the truth... or, at least, don't lie."

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jarl posted:

I guess I'll show myself out. :downs:

So you already had an idea in your head "compelled speech is wrong", Jorp comes along and says the big bad government is making me do compelled speech and you just believed him?

You did no research yourself is what it looks like.

Maybe you should learn some critical thinking skills and not take everything at face value. Learn to spot the grifters, it will help you out a lot more in life when you have to deal with people like Jorp selling you exactly what you want to hear for $24.99 a month.