Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm sad you didn't post this argument, because I am not going to actually look at a Jorp link but I kind of want to hear how he says he definitely would be a nazi if given the chance and assumes it applies universally.

I watched like 3 minutes and it's exactly what you think. He says the people who helped shelter the Jews and stood up to the Nazis were incredibly rare and that if you claim you would have been anything other than a perpetrator you must not know anything about history, sociology, psychology, etc.

And while I look at people around me and go "Yeah he's not completely wrong, my relatives definitely would have turned Anne Frank in" I can't help but feel like he's just projecting how he would have acted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Any argument that posits that you might or probably would have acted differently if your life circumstances and position in the scheme of time were completely different is vacuous on the face of it because it's putting a moral onus on a fictional person who is theoretically you, except that person can't be you because they're by definition completely abstracted from the moral compass you have as a result of being alive in the 21st century. We all inherit our attitudes from the culture around us, but that's not a revelation to anybody but a teenager.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Heath posted:

Any argument that posits that you might or probably would have acted differently if your life circumstances and position in the scheme of time were completely different is vacuous on the face of it because it's putting a moral onus on a fictional person who is theoretically you, except that person can't be you because they're by definition completely abstracted from the moral compass you have as a result of being alive in the 21st century. We all inherit our attitudes from the culture around us, but that's not a revelation to anybody but a teenager.

Rugged individualists (who I'm going to assume that Jordan is, despite how much he wants everyone to become lockstep to authority) love to ignore the social/economic/family factors that greatly outweigh personality traits in the grand scheme of "Success"

But hey - you can't sell a 100$ buzzfeed quiz to kids by quantifying what type of neighborhood they grew up in

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also compelled speech is bad and should be resisted. But you have to actually understand what compelled speech even is, and Jorpo and his cult do not.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Posting in the page 41 of Jorban Probson thread.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
not only does bill c16 not compel speech, it has no jurisdiction over peterson's place of work.

it does not affect how he behaves in his classroom at all in any way, shape, or form.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The idiocy of jorpo in that video is that he thinks liberalism teaches that people are fundamentally good and you don't have to watch out for nazis. His conception of liberalism is that idealizing resistance to nazis means that all liberals think they'd have been Johannes Kleiman valiantly hiding the Franks.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I enjoy his Kermit Thee Frog voice!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Vashro posted:

I enjoy his Kermit Thee Frog voice!

See I felt really weird because of all the Jorb = Kermit memes/jokes/insults because in my country The Muppet Show was dubbed and I couldn't make connection at first.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

I dont feel like digging it up but I remember he did point out some contradiction regarding being a monster to your kid or something and old jorp basically back peddled.

I havent watch all 40,000 hours of Joe but the two interviews that stick out to me where he was hostile to his guests were that Adam dude, and That fat gammer gate dude who he even poo poo off because he kept talking about anita

There was the one where Steven Crowder was talking poo poo about weed and Joe got visibly pissed.

Pretty sure all of the other garbage Crowder was spewing went unchecked, tho.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

empty baggie posted:

There was the one where Steven Crowder was talking poo poo about weed and Joe got visibly pissed.

Pretty sure all of the other garbage Crowder was spewing went unchecked, tho.

That's basically Joe Rogan in a nutshell

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
iirc joe made fun of crowder a little bit, and crowder got so mad rogan apologized lol

but leftwing people are special snowflakes etc

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007

Jarl posted:

As far as I understood he fought compelled speech. I.e. that you should be able to fine or fire people for not using the right words (pronouns in this case). To me such a law is strange to begin with and sets an uncomfortable precedent. What other things will you be forced to say in the future? Control speech and you can change how people think (not "death camps" but "concentration camps"). I know this case seems minor but precedents are important.
As CGP Grey (random youtuber) says about precedents in a random video: "And it's why people freak out over court cases that lay down a new brick in a new area. It's not about this brick. It's about what will, inevitably, be built on top of it." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZpsxnmmbE&feature=youtu.be&t=106

5,5 minutes from the Senate hearing on bill C16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o01ebidd1IU

As pointed out, C16 does not compel you to use someone's correct pronouns. The bill adds "gender identity or expression" to the list of prohibited grounds of discrimination in the Canadian Human Rights Act and the list of characteristics of identifiable groups protected from hate propaganda in the Criminal Code. It primarily involves what a court can do during sentencing. So in order for the bill to apply to you, you have to first be found guilty of discrimination or spreading hate speech. The bill doesn't even have the power to compel people to correctly say what's in the bill as shown by your video of Peterson expressing his views in Canadian Parliament. His speech is obviously not being suppressed, he can still talk about the bill however he wants to and he can use non-gendered pronouns to avoid the situation entirely.

Here is a quote from Peterson where we can see him using pronouns without the state coming to arrest him.

By referring to a group of words using the pronoun "they", Peterson gives more dignity to sounds we make with our mouths than actual people.

What's more C16 only applies to Federal institutions. Public Universities in Canada are governed by Provincial Law which have already had similar laws in place for almost a decade before C16 was introduced. Petersons workplace had similar legislation in effect while he was "reasonably" arguing with students about C16 on university grounds.

By convincing people that transgender people's getting rights to not be discriminated against or be exposed to hate speech is actually an attack on their own rights and it is part of a Marxist plot he actively generates a bad environment for transgender people to be in. Despite this, C16 or other relevant Human Right Codes do not apply, Peterson is free to go around making money and celebrity spreading misinformation. His speech is not being censored nor is it being compelled.

Hamburger Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 3, 2020

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Slotducks posted:

NO DAD YOU CANT JUST BARGE INTO MY ROOM CLAIMING YOURE HEARING THE CHAOS OF MY YOUTH BECOMING UNBOUNDED I NEED MY PRIVATE SPACE JESUS

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I didn't even notice he sounds like Kermit for a couple years until someone mentioned it to me and now I can't unhear it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PESYQ6TGwhQ

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Jarl posted:

I get it. You disagree with the man. I don't agree with him about climate change or all his views on religion (and probably other stuff I'm unaware of), but it seems you ascribe intent that I just don't see.

I guess I'll show myself out. :downs:

Omfg this is the worst post, a Wall of text, even got your own excersing habits into the text for reasons? Seriously dude.
You are obviolusly supporting JP but trying to cover it up with :words: no one buys this poo poo, you are just trying to be "maybe the truth is in the middle" and it just aint in this case, either you a dumbass or not.

Also are you unaware he hates women? Or do you support that as well?

Please get the gently caress out. Sorry for being rude but yeah reddit is thataway. You are free to be a dumbass peterson fan but please not here, were trying to be like a sane forum these days.

Edit: And how the gently caress can his fans be so impressed with him admitting a mistake when hes caught on camera? Is admitting mistakes a very hard thing to do for his fans or what? Do they really think its such an achievement? What was he supposed to do? Continue getting clowned? The video shows hes stupid and dont know poo poo, he admits to being stupid then continues to be stupid again the next day. What a man.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 3, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You know it's a pet peeve of mine when people take a big steaming poo poo in a thread and then say "but I guess I'm not welcome here, I'll leave now". If you don't want to discuss your dumbass views then don't post them, coward.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Zombiepop posted:

Edit: And how the gently caress can his fans be so impressed with him admitting a mistake when hes caught on camera? Is admitting mistakes a very hard thing to do for his fans or what? Do they really think its such an achievement? What was he supposed to do? Continue getting clowned? The video shows hes stupid and dont know poo poo, he admits to being stupid then continues to be stupid again the next day. What a man.

This is one of the reasons I dislike the attempts at "owning" people like that online. None of their fanbase will care, and they'll still be peddling the same poo poo the next day (cf. Shapiro, Ben), unless they're finally deplatformed because they can no longer hide behind plausible deniability (cf. Yiannopoulos, Milo).

(There were a few other reasons I was going to post but most of them are still around unfortunately).

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Who What Now posted:

You know it's a pet peeve of mine when people take a big steaming poo poo in a thread and then say "but I guess I'm not welcome here, I'll leave now". If you don't want to discuss your dumbass views then don't post them, coward.

I don't know, maybe OP had to leave because he drank a thimble of apple cider and was up all night with bad dreams.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mojo1701a posted:

This is one of the reasons I dislike the attempts at "owning" people like that online. None of their fanbase will care, and they'll still be peddling the same poo poo the next day (cf. Shapiro, Ben), unless they're finally deplatformed because they can no longer hide behind plausible deniability (cf. Yiannopoulos, Milo).

(There were a few other reasons I was going to post but most of them are still around unfortunately).

you can't get rid of Ben Shabibo and Jordan Balthazar Peterson by attacking them directly. they are just avatars of their audience. making JP fall from grace will only leave a space in the alt-right ecosystem for some other grifter to take his place.

the only way to get rid of JP is to talk to his fans

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah but if you show the videos to normal people they often get very turned off by peterson. Its a litmus test for secret peterson fans. But yeah the fans are a lost cause unless you talk irl. deplatform their heroes is the only effective way right now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

you can't get rid of Ben Shabibo and Jordan Balthazar Peterson by attacking them directly. they are just avatars of their audience. making JP fall from grace will only leave a space in the alt-right ecosystem for some other grifter to take his place.

Unfortunately his fans either do drive by shitposts and never read any responses or start ranting about how the SJWs are ruining america.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
:)

pop punk fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 17, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pop punk posted:

The problem with the owns/owning stuff is anyone who posts enough online or talks enough in public can have a compilation made of them. And in a lot of cases very online figures will have lists clarifying or followers clarifying and hand waving stuff away. Attempting to dunk on Jordan to overcome him mirrors his weirdo world view in a way that should make you uncomfortable if you think his personal model of how the world works with dominance hierarchies is immoral or incorrect.

"Dunking on people is that same as saying women are inferior to men" is the shittiest take I've seen in a long, long time.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

Just when you thought libs couldn't get more succ

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

Just when you thought libs couldn't get more succ

or i donno round them all up into camps :shrug: whatever your feeling

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Zombiepop posted:

American (IDK about Canadian) culture in general is super against admitting you're wrong- there's a popular perception that it's admitting weakness.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

American (IDK about Canadian) culture in general is super against admitting you're wrong- there's a popular perception that it's admitting weakness.

Plus he does not really admit he is wrong in any meaningful sense. He says the words to Jeffreys sure but it does not stop him from immediately returning to spouting the same rhetoric and rehashing the same ideas. An admission signifying nothing.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm Canadian but I had this gross interaction with a fairly well off dude who buddies around with conservatives here and I apologized for something innocuous and he was trying to be sweet about it but his exact words were "Don't ever apologize for anything ever." - He was deadly serious and wouldn't break eye contact with me.

Like dude chill I'm saying sorry for delaying the start of a meeting because I forgot my loving notebook jesus.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slotducks posted:

I'm Canadian but I had this gross interaction with a fairly well off dude who buddies around with conservatives here and I apologized for something innocuous and he was trying to be sweet about it but his exact words were "Don't ever apologize for anything ever." - He was deadly serious and wouldn't break eye contact with me.

Like dude chill I'm saying sorry for delaying the start of a meeting because I forgot my loving notebook jesus.

I would've thought this was the sort of thing that could get your Canadian citizenship revoked.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I just feel bad for his inevitable ex wife who has never heard an apology for any of the depraved poo poo he ever got up to. He tooled around with Patrick Brown and Rob/Doug Ford a lot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slotducks posted:

This is a stupid social ritual thing, but if you say "thank you for waiting" instead, those kinds of people will respond warmly and with appreciation.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

yeah but i'm not thankful I'm in fact pissed off that he's wasting my time with some stupid drone thing that will never actually get past transport canada regulations because you're batshit insane to actually think a small company of like 15 people can actually do something this complicated

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Who What Now posted:

"Dunking on people is that same as saying women are inferior to men" is the shittiest take I've seen in a long, long time.

That's not even kind of what he said.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

I don't think I heard the story - what finally did Milo in?

He's still here and there's a 99% probability that a simulation of him is RIGHT BEHIND U!!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't think I heard the story - what finally did Milo in?

He's still here and there's a 99% probability that a simlation of him is RIGHT BEHIND U!!!!

Outright said some poo poo supporting pedophilia and defending it, tried to backtrack and claim it was a joke/rhetorical statement but even the alt-right doesn't support pedophilia.

Actually scratch that, the alt-right doesn't support overt statements endorsing pedophilia, they just like the kind they can sweep under the rug semantically like trying to justify lowering the age of consent to fourteen so they can diddle young girls.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Outright said some poo poo supporting pedophilia and defending it, tried to backtrack and claim it was a joke/rhetorical statement but even the alt-right doesn't support pedophilia.

Actually scratch that, the alt-right doesn't support overt statements endorsing pedophilia, they just like the kind they can sweep under the rug semantically like trying to justify lowering the age of consent to fourteen so they can diddle young girls.

I think it was also because he made that 'joke' in reference to a priest, or at least he said that little boys should be hosed by priests or something like that. Whatever. I think Milo was one of those people that was convenient to have on hand so that they could fight back on identity politics because he was gay and extremely aggressive about right wing stuff. I think he rubbed too many people the wrong way and they didn't like gay people in the first place so the pedo stuff was just the lever on the ejection seat on the right-wing car.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it wasn't just a joke, he put forth the whole "how low should the age of consent be anyway?" argument quite sincerely. IF you're going to try to argue this, and it is a horrible argument for many reasons, you better be a lot more of a respected and buttoned up intellectual type than milo loving yiannopolous who was a deliberately provocative person

here is the video, note that this is a bunch of total right wing dipshits sitting around chatting so i'm not recommending anyone watch this for insight or entertainment. only posting it in case anyone wants to see what he actually says (its bad)

https://twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/833485040944156673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Lol Milo i would very much like to uppercut that guy