Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Monetary policy isn't the same as labor/regulatory/tax policy which informs what the gains of economic growth goes to which demographic. A debtor whose income neither grows while his debt doesn't become cheaper due to inflation is double-hosed.

In fact quite a few macroeconomists argue that wages are not growing as a consequence of inflation being really low since the mid 2000s. In a service economy, wages are a primary cost of doing business; low/no inflation is often a direct correlation to wage growth (which may be a result of other factors, like Reagan-era hellworld policies). Trying to goose inflation would force wage growth and erode the strength of entrenched capital to extract value from the economy through rents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

future of money

also lol when a coiner says "gimme my coins" and the exchange says "lol we don't have any" it's going to cause 1929 all over again but bitcoin.

E: I thought bitscoin was all about not trusting third parties, why are there trusted third parties? I thought there were none this is all bullshit

A run on the banks but on purpose

Or rather

A whole bunch of idiots who are gonna short this fucker down to negative value while other idiots realise how slow seven per second really is

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Somfin posted:

A run on the banks but on purpose

Or rather

A whole bunch of idiots who are gonna short this fucker down to negative value while other idiots realise how slow seven per second really is

I mean, theoretically it wouldn't cause the equivalent of bank run because theoretically these exchanges aren't actually doing fractional reserve banking (because they aren't allowed to). Now, how many of them might actually be doing it without telling anyone? Who knows. Of course, any exchange doing that will also probably just see all the bitcoin withdrawls and go "Your request is queued. :lol:"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
...why store your bitcoin in a bank?

That's not the setup for a joke, even though it sounds like one.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I genuinely wonder what people who are extremely into bitcoin thought of the concept of money and economics in general before suddenly discovering bitcoin, and having the mania switch flick permanently into "on" because of it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wonder how many only own 1 or 2 bitcoin and are just blindly hoping the moon actually happens rather than selling right now so they can wait a few months and buy even more at when it's under 5k again.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Good question, but the answer is just that they're morons. It opens you to a lot of risk since the bank can just walk away or disappear as has happened dozens of times. Ever since the introduction of bitcoin, the advice has been not to do that.

The thing is, most people are buying bitcoin with fiat which requires an exchange account, then people simply leave the bitcoin in their exchange account instead of moving it around so it remains liquid. Just as a number in the exchanges wallet instead of needing to manage a wallet. Otherwise, when they want to trade for fiat, they need to transfer their money back into the exchange wallet, with the transaction time and fee that entails.

Sort of like loading a bunch of money into your PayPal account so you can spend it later, but then someone hacks your email and password.

This does defeat the entire purpose of bitcoin as currency but doesn't interfere with its purpose as gambling.

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 3, 2020

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so wait, the true believers are mad that exchanges aren't actually using the blockchain which is also the only reason that bitcoin has any value at all?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
if this thing catches on among the true believers I'm looking forward to them reaching the game theory phase where they figure out they should probably withdraw before the rush hits on Jan 3rd and the bank run begins on like, Dec 19th or something

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I can't parse if you're saying blockchain or exchanges are key to value of bitcoin. The value of bitcoin itself is the blockchain, the value of bitcoin in practice is what you can trade for it on an exchange. It's true that the practical value of bitcoin is based on exchanges which themselves circumvent the blockchain for liquidity, so it's sort of like a ponzi oroboros between the blockchain and exchanges. When bitcoin was first starting, it was unfathomable that almost all users would use exchanges like they do today.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

LanceHunter posted:

So apparently a bunch of hardcore bitcoiners are gonna try to crash all the exchanges on January 3rd because they are that afraid of the very notion of fractional reserve banking.

https://twitter.com/btcschellingpt/status/1334268176461271041?s=21

What edgy-for-a-teenager YouTube clip best describes this situation?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

So apparently a bunch of hardcore bitcoiners are gonna try to crash all the exchanges on January 3rd because they are that afraid of the very notion of fractional reserve banking.

gently caress around and find out :gritty:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Somfin posted:

Inflation is bad for capital and good for the proletariat, because of the post you quoted.

If you have deflation, then the people who have excess resources have absolutely no reason to spend more than they absolutely need to, because every dollar they have is making them richer simply by existing, and the people who are in debt are in more debt even if they pay no interest, because the power of every dollar is increasing over time. You have something beyond stagnation; you have active rot. Nobody with resources has any reason to do use them, and everyone with negative resources is worse off every day.

Inflation pushes all currency values slowly toward zero, which means that a billion dollars becomes less than a billion dollars if it is left alone. One of the most important theoretical goals of an economy is to keep everything flowing through the system, and inflation means that money spent now is significantly more powerful than the same amount of money spent in twenty years. This is a big incentive to get in and do things while the money you have still has its current power, including activities that make that money into more money.

This is one of the major reasons that bitcoin is never going to be an actual currency- if you have a lot of bitcoin, you have no reason to spend any of it, because its value is increasing and you have more total wealth over time by not spending anything than you do by converting any of it into actual goods or services.

Everyone needs to read this

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Waltzing Along posted:

Convenience is the only reason, since exchanges can trade faster than the blockchain... but in an exchange you have zero insurance against them just crashing and shuttering at this point because they're not legally banks and definitely not FDIC insured.

Behold, the worst of both worlds!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

LanceHunter posted:

Won't doing that tie up a bunch of resources the blockchain doesn't have capacity to accommodate, lead to a bunch of exchanges having to light up cold storage (with the lag that corresponds to having to get a human being to shuffle USB drives out of whatever physical vault they're stored in), and make conducting any business in bitcoin impossible without usurious fees until the backlog is finished being processed?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

vortmax posted:

Everyone needs to read this
I believe they are aware but perceive themselves as the resource-holders who will gradually become wealthier and more powerful for no reason. That's the entire fantasy. It isn't that you might make a good chunk of change now, it's that you will be a plutocrat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

I believe they are aware but perceive themselves as the resource-holders who will gradually become wealthier and more powerful for no reason. That's the entire fantasy. It isn't that you might make a good chunk of change now, it's that you will be a plutocrat.

They're all aiming for it to stabilise at exactly the point where they have more btc than anyone else and their btc is worth more than Amazon.

E: in this way I think that Seraph is right. They do want an end to capitalism, specifically they want capitalism's end state: functionally infinite power in one pair of hands. Total autocratic rule.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 3, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

John_A_Tallon posted:

Won't doing that tie up a bunch of resources the blockchain doesn't have capacity to accommodate, lead to a bunch of exchanges having to light up cold storage (with the lag that corresponds to having to get a human being to shuffle USB drives out of whatever physical vault they're stored in), and make conducting any business in bitcoin impossible without usurious fees until the backlog is finished being processed?

It would. Assuming this is more than like seven people who've just convinced themselves they're a movement.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Somfin posted:

They're all aiming for it to stabilise at exactly the point where they have more btc than anyone else and their btc is worth more than Amazon.

E: in this way I think that Seraph is right. They do want an end to capitalism, specifically they want capitalism's end state: functionally infinite power in one pair of hands. Total autocratic rule.
Right, there are certainly individual flourishes and details to the fantasy because Seraph, for instance, might imagine themselves to be Dale Carnegie more than Flintheart Glomgold, but the point would be that the power is in their hands. The missionary impulse is I imagine to some extent an attempt to reach a critical mass, because even if their fantasies of hyperbitcoinization never happened, a real big grand mal tulip bubble that made a single bitcoin sell for some absurdly inflated price would make them very wealthy.

At least in theory... I wonder how many of them would prefer the fantasy of such power to actually having a few tens of millions of US dollars.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Somfin posted:

The mask always slips and reveals that the problem with today's hellworld is not that it's a hellworld, but that they're not the ones stamping on a human face, forever.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Liquid Communism posted:

Convenience is the only reason, since exchanges can trade faster than the blockchain... but in an exchange you have zero insurance against them just crashing and shuttering at this point because they're not legally banks and definitely not FDIC insured.

Behold, the worst of both worlds!

don't forget that the exchanges are also exchanges. there aren't a whole lot of ways to convert btc into usd otherwise, and without a 'trusted' third party to handle btc to altcoin you get endless scams

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Somfin posted:

perhaps the same could be said of all anti-capitalisms :smug:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

perhaps the same could be said of all anti-capitalisms :smug:

Enough talk. Have at you!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ad by Khad posted:

if this thing catches on among the true believers I'm looking forward to them reaching the game theory phase where they figure out they should probably withdraw before the rush hits on Jan 3rd and the bank run begins on like, Dec 19th or something

they tried this a few years ago? and absolutely nobody gave a poo poo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
iraqi information minister says there is no need to test that the exchanges have all the bitcoin/money they exchange or that tether is actually backed by money at all

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Im taking my meager savings and liquidating my large 401k and I'm investing in bitcoin now I've decided

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Captain Yossarian posted:

Im taking my meager savings and liquidating my large 401k and I'm investing in bitcoin now I've decided

What, you're not even selling your liver to invest?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

buy high, sell low

that's what I always say!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Paladinus posted:

What, you're not even selling your liver to invest?

That's the plan!

Fried Watermelon posted:

buy high, sell low

that's what I always say!

This is also the plan!

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Have there been any new scam coin events recently like bitconnect deal way back?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Vashro posted:

Have there been any new scam coin events recently like bitconnect deal way back?

What, you've never heard of defi?

The irony of everyone wanting to be a plutocrat, and something they don't realize: there's a lot of really bad loving people out there, whom you don't want as a plutocrat. Also, parts of crypto are fine - transaction security is fine. But parts are not, ie: trying to have bitcoin be the popular currency because lol gently caress no. Like how monero people still imagine they can magically be anonymous and feds sit back and trace every transaction.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

They wrote a script that autobans any new regs that post in this thread. Gotta lurk more to post in the GBS BTC thread.
should turn it off imo, making GBS threads up garbage threads is a public service and Seraph is a goddamned hero for focusing on this one in particular

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

He already got around it by just posting one post in another thread lol. Maybe don't discuss the secret algorithm in here idk.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
lmao you guys don't actually think there's an algorithm right

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

:wink:
:wmwink:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Are you telling me that the forum rules aren't enforced through smart contracts?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

Are you telling me that the forum rules aren't enforced through smart contracts?
Worse: they are.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Secret deep state federal FISA courts review every post and issue rulings pretending to be "mods" or "admins" but I'm not falling for it buddy. How many sides of a cube are real???

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

We know there's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Lou Takki posted:

. How many sides of a cube are real???

Four. Don't let anyone tell you different! If they do, you know they're part of the problem.