Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

TheLoneStar posted:

He and Caesar will meet up and have their own Cover Story.

"Gangster Gastino and Snakes Incognito open an orphanage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Good god that picture of anime Katakuri

Why does anyone watch the anime

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's actually a cool awakened ability.

Gild Tesoro was straight up cool as a villain imo. He has a clear reason for being the way he does that actually permeates his decisions and style (he straight up named his Las Vegas style stage show based on it) and his defeat is extremely satisfying.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 4, 2020

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Chopper's awakened form is just like Bender becoming a normal average human.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the best movie is the body horror one from the digimon movie guy

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Strelok604 posted:

ngl i get hosed up whenever i notice the anime thread has been bumped and that there are folks who only watch the anime

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Anime is good through thriller bark imo

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I'm also glad we're in the blessed Stephen Paul era of official translation tbh I don't mind the old "pirate" stuff they used to do lol and I don't even mind Zolo. The only one I cannot understand is "Ponegliff"

I'm really not a fan of some of his other translations like leaving the Flying Six and the Nine Red Scabbards untranslated for seemingly no reason. Tobi Roppo and Azakaya Nine just sounds really wonky to say and I absolutely hated going from Beast Pirates to Animal Kingdom Pirates, especially when in the earlier official translations they were called the Beast Pirates.

But otherwise yes, really solid work on his part.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Even worse are people who say that the series sucks and they hate it but what they hate is stuff added in to the anime and not a problem in the manga

American weebs who only watch anime and don't read manga must be the main reason OP isn't as popular as like macademia or naruto

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In fairness any show would've had their chances to get over in the west destroyed if it got the treatment 4Kids gave One Piece.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Asuron posted:

I'm really not a fan of some of his other translations like leaving the Flying Six and the Nine Red Scabbards untranslated for seemingly no reason. Tobi Roppo and Azakaya Nine just sounds really wonky to say and I absolutely hated going from Beast Pirates to Animal Kingdom Pirates, especially when in the earlier official translations they were called the Beast Pirates.

But otherwise yes, really solid work on his part.

I think for those two he's said it's specifically a Wano thing that he left them undone iirc. I'd have to track the episode down which could be hard. I'd be surprised if they were beast pirates earlier in the manga, maybe in the magazine there was an early mention? They almost never switch it once it's in a volume for consistency.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's stuff like the admiral names that don't get translated in anything also so perhaps same line of thought

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Tobi Roppo and Akazaya Nine staying untranslated makes sense to me as Wano is supposed to have a super Japanese feel, and not translating helps distinguish from the types of names in the rest of the One Piece world.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Beast Pirates is just such a simple, but powerful, name, whereas animal kingdom pirates sounds really clunky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

I'll defend the colouring, at least. The bubblegum pink tattoos bridge the gap between 'super-serious badass' and 'member of the Alice in Wonderland-themed candy pirates' nicely.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oda provides colouring in the covers etc.

Funi used to use beast but moved to animal kingdom apparently. I know they diverge on some TL so must be more accurate but agreed beast sounds better.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Tobi Roppo and Akazaya Nine staying untranslated makes sense to me as Wano is supposed to have a super Japanese feel, and not translating helps distinguish from the types of names in the rest of the One Piece world.

On the other hand, do those names stand out in any meaningful way to native readers? If not, they shouldn't stand out in any meaningful way to foreign ones, either.

Actually I forget, were there lots of untranslated spanish words / names on Dressrosa? Since it was very obviously spanish-influenced, I could see some there. If there's a precedent that foreign language names / terms are left untranslated in the source material then I could understand doing that for Japanese in Wano. Obviously there's attack names from the strawhats, but I feel those are a bit different.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Strelok604 posted:

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/136237

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
tobi roppo is a cool name

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

"animal kingdom pirates"? really? that sounds like something out of a kids zoology book

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

In fairness any show would've had their chances to get over in the west destroyed if it got the treatment 4Kids gave One Piece.

Weirdly enough for all the damage they did to every property they managed, they somehow made Ultimate Muscle popular enough to get a season commissioned just for the western audience. It's even one of their better dubs, it's actually really charming.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Oda provides colouring in the covers etc.

Funi used to use beast but moved to animal kingdom apparently. I know they diverge on some TL so must be more accurate but agreed beast sounds better.

He does provide colouring, yes, but the anime doesn't stick to it religiously. Compare Pearl in the anime to Pearl in the coloured manga, for instance.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Given the fact that both Viz and Funimation use Animal Kingdom Pirates - and Funimation used to use Beast Pirates before suddenly switching - then it's likely a client mandated translation term

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Blockhouse posted:

Given the fact that both Viz and Funimation use Animal Kingdom Pirates - and Funimation used to use Beast Pirates before suddenly switching - then it's likely a client mandated translation term

I just had the very dumb thought that maybe someone in legal got nervous about using the word “Beast” because of Monster Energy, which has actually sued other companies before for using the word beast, among other things. Like just recently Ubisoft had to change the name of that Gods and Monsters game because of them.

Again this sounds dumb as hell but we already have the Zoro/Zolo situation so clearly someone there doesn’t want to take any chances so :shrug:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

He does provide colouring, yes, but the anime doesn't stick to it religiously. Compare Pearl in the anime to Pearl in the coloured manga, for instance.

I'm glad they didn't go with his colouring on Kuma, the bright orange was really awful.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Except the Beast Pirates aren't originally from Wano and the whole point of the arc is trying to kick them out. They shouldn't feel like they belong in the setting. I think it is a pretty stilly translation decision.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

tobi roppo is a cool name

co-signin' this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Panic Restaurant posted:

I just had the very dumb thought that maybe someone in legal got nervous about using the word “Beast” because of Monster Energy, which has actually sued other companies before for using the word beast, among other things. Like just recently Ubisoft had to change the name of that Gods and Monsters game because of them.

Again this sounds dumb as hell but we already have the Zoro/Zolo situation so clearly someone there doesn’t want to take any chances so :shrug:

By "client" I mean any of/some combination of Oda, Shueisha, or Toei said "no this is what you're going to call it". I doubt it has anything to do with Monster Energy because the word "Beast" is not Monster, and rarely does it have to do with legal concerns. It's just what the "official" english localization is, handed down from the Japan side.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I can honestly believe that someone in Japan made the official name Animal Kingdom on some merch and that’s what we’re stuck with. It’s hardly the first time it’s happened, just look at Attack on Titan or Fullmetal Alchemist.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Reminds me of the Law merch that says "Pirates of Heart" instead of Heart Pirates

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Violen posted:

whats very not cool though is that viz's reader is still so awful in like every way compared to mangaplus on desktop after how long now? like theres no care about consolidating that poo poo whatsoever and it remains afaik the only way to access an official archive digitally

viz???

Nobody knows how to make a good online reader. I remember dropping Grand Blue because it was exclusive to crunchyroll and the reader was so bad I gave up on the manga lol

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The common excuse for bad online readers is that they were designed to work on desktop and mobile, but they're always awful on both.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

tbp posted:

i think the jury is still out between most of us on orochi even though i probably lean towards "he is dead" right now (but i agree, it feels weird)

Reading this post today made me realize that I just dreamt the chapter where Orochi runs away with someone and they talk about how head #5 was an rear end in a top hat anyway and they'll do fine without it and it didn't actually happen.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

Reading this post today made me realize that I just dreamt the chapter where Orochi runs away with someone and they talk about how head #5 was an rear end in a top hat anyway and they'll do fine without it and it didn't actually happen.
That is absolutely something that could happen in One Piece.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Asuron posted:

Weirdly enough for all the damage they did to every property they managed, they somehow made Ultimate Muscle popular enough to get a season commissioned just for the western audience. It's even one of their better dubs, it's actually really charming.

I want to say the same thing happened with their Sonic X dub, which was also really popular in the west (& Europe specifically, I think) even & especially in syndication

Meanwhile, with Yu-gi-oh, all this nonsense happened

quote:

On March 24, 2011, TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems filed a joint lawsuit against 4Kids, accusing them of underpayments concerning the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchises and allegedly conspiring with Funimation, and have allegedly terminated their licensing deal with them.[19] This led to 4Kids filing for protection under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy code.[20][21] Although 4Kids had managed to win the case in March 2012,[22] they ended up selling their rights to the franchise, among other assets, to Konami. Konami currently distributes the series and its spin-offs, in addition to producing English dubs through its renamed subsidiary, 4K Media Inc.[23][24][25]

quote:

Konami Cross Media NY, Inc. (originally 4Kids Productions) is an American production company owned by Konami. It was formerly a subsidiary of 4Kids Entertainment (which later became 4Licensing Corporation) and is responsible for adapting and producing English language dubs of Japanese anime, mainly the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, having dubbed over 800 episodes of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters television series and its spin-offs.[1] The company was shut down on June 30, 2012, due to continued lack of profitability,[2] but the production office was acquired by Konami and renamed 4K Media later that year.

which i presume is why the modern yugioh dubs are still ... well, how they are.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Strelok604 posted:

"animal kingdom pirates"? really? that sounds like something out of a kids zoology book

One Piece is a story for children, so sure.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ethiser posted:

Except the Beast Pirates aren't originally from Wano and the whole point of the arc is trying to kick them out. They shouldn't feel like they belong in the setting. I think it is a pretty stilly translation decision.
Kaidou is an oni. That's on Oda.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Strelok604 posted:

i will not tolerate childish terminology in this comic book where a pirate inflates himself into a bouncy man to defeat foes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

it sounds lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
100 Animal Kaido... lol