Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bust Rodd posted:

I have watched probably 3 hours of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla video reviews. I started because I just wanted to find literally any reason to buy it for PS5, just looking for a big, long game to hold me over for SUPAH PORK 2077.

At this point I’m still watching them to see how hard they spitroast the game. I’ve never seen a AAA game so universally reviled and dunked on before. I feel like everyone sort of hates this game.

It’s also funny that the story mode is like 65-70 hours and the bugs are so bad. If only there was some compromise to make, like perhaps a shorter game with more time for Q&A? Probably impossible...

These were my thoughts that I posted in the AC thread, having liked Origins and really liking Odyssey. I think right now, there's too much wrong with the game to really recommend it on a technical level, and as a complete cohesive product it's probably the weakest of the new trilogy. Wait for bug fixes + discounts or just play either of the last two games.

exquisite tea posted:

Okay, here are my collected thoughts on AC Valhalla after having wrapped up the main quest with 100+ hours played:

The Good

- The world activities. In the two previous AC games there wasn't a whole lot to do besides kill stuff and find stuff. That's all here in Valhalla of course, but the variety of minigames was really enjoyable and something I looked forward to seeing on the world map. Orlog, flyting, cairn stones, the Hellblade puzzles, even the animus platforming sections were all things I enjoyed doing wherever they popped up.
- Raids and sieges. As the major repeatable combat activity for this game, the flow and feel to these were superior to conquest battles from Odyssey and the chariot races from Origins.
- I liked how skill books were unique things you found out in the world -- it tied together well thematically with churches being centers of learning as well as plunder in this time period.
- The settlement characters and storylines, whenever they occurred, were fun side stories that I wish could have been built out in a more dedicated way. Gunnar and Brigid's arc in Glowecestre was the highlight of the game for me.
- Irrespective of plot, I liked how the structure of the missions came in alliances that you pledged on the world map. That was an inventive way of helping to focus the player's attention on where to go next without putting a hard level requirement on everything.
- Eivor grew on me as a character. I liked how she was distinct from previous AC protagonists by being kind of sensitive and poetic.
- Volumetric clouds are nice.

The Bad

- Lack of a dedicated RPG progression system and itemization. This was a big one for me. I liked how in Odyssey you started out as some random hired muscle thug, then evolved into a teleporting exploding wall of death, to eventually turning full SSJ with a double lightsaber and spirit bulls. I liked all the unique armor sets and how you could put together a distinctive build with a few insanely overpowered legendaries. Teleporting assassin who never gets hit, 2H warrior who sets the entire battlefield on fire, multishot hunter who can fire off 30 arrows while still in stealth, all that dumb poo poo was fun and led to me putting a ton of extra time into trying out new specs. They took all that out in Valhalla but didn't really make the combat any deeper mechanically, so you're just doing the same sword attack animation over and over, levels 0-400. Armor sets are rare and expensive to upgrade, so there's no incentive to try anything new. They took out all the crazy weapon/armor affixes and just replaced them with runes that are like, "increase critical strike chance after you parry." Big whoop.
- Lack of branching outcomes. One of the things I really enjoy about playing any RPG is knowing that situations could have gone differently, had I made different choices at various points throughout the narrative. The railroading and false choices in Valhalla are SO obvious that it becomes kind of offensive after awhile, like why even offer me three seemingly different dialogue responses if you're just going to immediately overwrite the last thing I said, anyway? I went back and watched a lot of the scenes where I thought my choices could have led to a different outcome, and in many cases, not even the DIALOGUE is any different. The scene plays out exactly the same. I'm not one of those people who needs 27 different permutations of every quest in the game to feel meaningful, but if you're going to tell me that choices matter somewhat, then you have to commit to that decision. So many missed opportunities here.
- Asgard and Jotunheim. The mythology zones were places I really looked forward to in Origins and Odyssey, where the designers really outdid themselves both visually and mechanically. Here they're uninspired collectathon nodes that stop the main narrative dead in its tracks, all to set up an ending revelation that really isn't all that interesting and is 100% obvious if you're even somewhat good at recognizing faces and voices.
- The sidequests. These felt like a huge step down from the previous two games, and the meme-worthy humor was absolutely dire. I'm not a hard person to please, and some of the sidequests in Odyssey legitimately had me laughing IRL. Farting egg lady and smack my bishop just really didn't do it for me.
- The Order. Why are we killing these dudes again? What do they actually want? Eh who cares.

The Ugly

- This is maybe the single buggiest game I've ever played on release. I've crashed to desktop at least 50 times in the past week just trying to finish the drat thing, and that's on top of the usual Ubisoft open-world jank like falling through the terrain and randomly dying while riding a horse. I have to believe my impression of Valhalla would probably have been more positive had I not run into so many problems.

Overall, I'm really mixed about this game. There are a few things I think it does better than any AC in the series up to this point, and some that are significantly worse. The prevailing theme I find in Valhalla is an unwillingness or perhaps inability to commit to any of the systems it sets up in a satisfying way. Building alliances with the feudal lords of England is an interesting plot conceit... but there are no real choices and the outcomes are always the same. Seeing your settlement grow over time is cool... but there are 3 sidequests in the entire game and everybody is promptly forgotten about thereafter. Flyting is a fun minigame, but there are maybe 5 speech checks in 100+ hours of storyline. Raids are fun to do, but you never get anything more than raw materials. The entire experience is like this. Odyssey could feel unfocused as well at times, but this game is somehow even longer than Odyssey, more sloppily composed, and doesn't really commit to being an RPG. Odyssey felt like it was at least written by people who enjoyed RPGs and rewarding the player with character progression, while this one is very much "going through the motions" of playing an RPG without the fun stuff. I'm sure Covid and the game director resigning due to extramarital affairs and Ubisoft upper leadership apparently all being sex pests probably contributed to that messiness, but still it's kind of a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ubisoft had three big games out in about a month, it's crazy

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

exquisite tea posted:

These were my thoughts that I posted in the AC thread, having liked Origins and really liking Odyssey. I think right now, there's too much wrong with the game to really recommend it on a technical level, and as a complete cohesive product I think it's probably the weakest of the latest trilogy. Wait for bug fixes + discounts or just play either of the last two games.

Sounds like PC issues to me buddy, not sure why you'd darken the PS4 thread's door with steam troubles :smug:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think Fenyx is probably the most fun one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ubisoft goes hard on console launches.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I popped in Bloodborne for another fresh playthrough and beat Gascoigne in one try, hell yeah.

only one of them seems actually decent tho lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ya and it’s the one with the most ideas stolen from Nintendo lol

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I finally, FINALLY, found the double jump in Hollow Knight.

I was NOT expecting the Forgotten Crossroads to become the Infected Crossroads - I hadn't returned there in a while, was getting the double jump the trigger for that? It feels like it since I had to fight an orange goo boss to get there, and now the first area is filled with orange goo. Which is really cool! I had no idea it would happen and having the world state change in a dramatic way was a cool wtf moment for me.

I'm still knocking my head against a few dead ends and trying to find the drat mapmaker in the Royal Sewer area.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's great, yeah. That is one of the biggest "oh gently caress, poo poo is getting real" moments in the entire game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m still playing through Judgment. Just got to chapter 5 last night. I know I have a long ways to go still, but I spent a LOT of time on friendships and side cases so I’m hoping there’ll be less of those popping up so I can mainline the story.

I’d LIKE to finish it up before cyberpunk comes out, but I’m not sure if that’s possible...

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Does Judgement run at a locked 30 FPS or will it run at 60 on PS5?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’m still playing through Judgment. Just got to chapter 5 last night. I know I have a long ways to go still, but I spent a LOT of time on friendships and side cases so I’m hoping there’ll be less of those popping up so I can mainline the story.

I’d LIKE to finish it up before cyberpunk comes out, but I’m not sure if that’s possible...

I tried to balance all the little friend sidequests with plot progression but honestly they throw so many friendships to you at the beginning that they slow to a trickle in the second half no matter what. I would say if you're trying to reasonably complete the game in the next six days avoid the dating, drone racing and VR activities, those are the grindiest parts of the game imo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wolfsheim posted:

I tried to balance all the little friend sidequests with plot progression but honestly they throw so many friendships to you at the beginning that they slow to a trickle in the second half no matter what. I would say if you're trying to reasonably complete the game in the next six days avoid the dating, drone racing and VR activities, those are the grindiest parts of the game imo

They're also reasonably easy to avoid and don't tie into too much else from my own experience.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Ya and it’s the one with the most ideas stolen from Nintendo lol

What's the consensus on this game? Are people liking it? On one hand it looks pretty fun. On the other hand it's a little off putting just how hard it apes BOTW (even though BOTW is one of my goats) and goddamn, the character design in it sucks.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It is extremely weird to me that Ubisoft went back-to-back with a 200 hour slightly cartoony action game about Greek myth and then a 30 hour very cartoony action game about Greek myth

It would be like if Nintendo followed up a Mario game with a game about two different Italian plumbers jumping on frogs instead of turtles

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve been safely avoiding drones and vr. I guess I did start dating someone but so far that hasn’t been a huge time sink.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

No no these are the Santarelli brothers and they wear blue and orange hats, totally different game

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Wolfsheim posted:

No no these are the Santarelli brothers and they wear blue and orange hats, totally different game

And also they cuss

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

What's the consensus on this game? Are people liking it? On one hand it looks pretty fun. On the other hand it's a little off putting just how hard it apes BOTW (even though BOTW is one of my goats) and goddamn, the character design in it sucks.

Reviews seem to be "Hey remember when video games were shorter and more fun? This is that."

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bad Parenting posted:

Does Judgement run at a locked 30 FPS or will it run at 60 on PS5?

locked 30, no drops but running at the higher res of 1080p (they are 900p on base) all the dragon engine games are like this. yakuza 6 gets the best performance compared to base console, that on base had actual screen tearing going on, perfect on ps5 now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just got the Star Wars squadrons game for my birthday, looks amazing

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

happy birthday! You only turn 40 once :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
All I do is turn forties.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m not even 30 :cheers:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy birthday Yung Prof!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've turned 40 and I can't in good conscience recommend it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I ate too much pizza and I actually feel like I’m going to die.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Don't worry, pizza overdose isn't lethal. I would try not aspirating your own vomit, though. That is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I’m not even 30 :cheers:

drat, yung pup

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hope everyone has a good weekend :)
What's everyone playing?

I've been cranking out some of these Iceborne monsters alone and it's tough, so I be jammin on that SOS flare. Man, I sure would like to put together a crew youknawhamsayin?

Also, nuDeS, banging out the first tier bosses for each world. I think I'm playing this one as slow as possible.

I finally got to the fishworld in Spelunky 2, and then I started watching streamers play the game and was immediately humbled.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Hbd

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My biggest gripe about Spider-Man is when you do a finisher how it locks the camera into the finishing animation because all I want to do when that plays is swing the camera around to line up my next attack but i loving cant, stupid game!!!!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Im getting a real kick out of my Amgydalyn Arm run right now but Chalice Rom loving SUCKS with this weapon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bows1 posted:

Im getting a real kick out of my Amgydalyn Arm run right now but Chalice Rom loving SUCKS with this weapon.

Amy Arm is an awesome take on a greatclub but the whip form definitely has too much delay to be relied upon in a tight

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Also still playing Dark Souls :) Got DS2 and DS3 installed ready for my eventual destruction of whomever the last boss is!

:black101:

exquisite tea posted:

Maybe I can find some time to snak.

this makes me smile

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m playing it in PSVR and the immersion is really good! Love the dogfighting.

The actual missions themselves are nothing special (defend this, attack that) and the plot is...there. But whatever, looking around a tie or x-wing cockpit in real time never gets old.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I've been cranking out some of these Iceborne monsters alone and it's tough, so I be jammin on that SOS flare. Man, I sure would like to put together a crew youknawhamsayin?

I always mean to get back into Monster Hunter, and I feel like I’ve said I’m Definitely gonna play it with you, but there’s been way too many games and I buy all of them new cause I’m an idiot and also I’m intimidated at the idea of getting back into the game, especially since I started Iceborne right when I finished the main quest so I didn’t get much practice in for the vanilla post game monsters, so getting used to them and the Iceborne ones seems rough. And also I just feel like going back will require me to relearn absolutely everything, and I already was bad at making use of/just never actually learned how to use a lot of the time saving quality of life functions like setting up armor and item load outs, on top of never really learning how to even approach certain monsters like the Diablos and other big boys like it.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 5, 2020

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Imhotep posted:

I always mean to get back into Monster Hunter, and I feel like I’ve said I’m Definitely gonna play it with you, but there’s been way too many games and I buy all of them new cause I’m an idiot and also I’m intimidated by the game a bit, I feel like going back will require me to relearn absolutely everything, and I already was bad at making use of a lot of the time saving quality of life functions like setting up armor and item load outs, on top of never really learning how to even approach certain monsters like the Diablos and other big boys like it.

It's not really that complex. It's not like you really need to worry THAT much about what armor or weapon you have beyond upgrading to the next tier from time to time. There are a couple gimmick bosses that benefit from having a particular resistance, but mostly you can just slap monsters around and do fine.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

PantsBandit posted:

It's not really that complex. It's not like you really need to worry THAT much about what armor or weapon you have beyond upgrading to the next tier from time to time. There are a couple gimmick bosses that benefit from having a particular resistance, but mostly you can just slap monsters around and do fine.

Yeah that seems like it was the case when I played and would switch armor around to try to mitigate damage and it wouldn’t make that much difference, but in a lot of cases it was also probably due to me not knowing what to do against a particularly tough monster. But I saw a lot of tip videos mention it and a few other QoL things I never learned and those wild ‘arch-tempered Nergigante kill in sub one minute’ videos that always showed, and I assumed rely on specific loadouts.

veni veni veni posted:

The reviews seem good, generally? But also, isn’t BotW like, sort of ripping off all the open world games Ubisoft and every other Western dev put out, but like, fun? Or maybe I’m assuming they did, but didn’t play them really, so they just copied the general template but made it their own thing, cause I also haven’t and that’s my impression. It reminds me of what Tim Rogers said about Death Stranding, that he thinks Kojima probably played Demon’s Souls a little bit when it came out and wrote down that he liked the online mechanics and then didn’t play it again and forgot what the game was actually like but made a game based around his vague memory of what it was and expanded on it. I’m not even a BotW fan, but still, id rather play it over the Ubisoft open world games. Also, holy poo poo is Immortals ugly, like, they also failed miserably at that if they genuinely tried to go for a similar aesthetic. The main character and all the UI elements just clash so hard with everything else.

I’ve only watched the Skill Up review and his take is like, ‘it’s really good! It’s really not a terrible game like you expected’ which doesn’t make me want to play it really.

But his review of The Pathless is good, and I agree with it. If you like Abzu and Journey you’d prob like this too: https://youtu.be/UohBm4cPyUo

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hope everyone has a good weekend :)
What's everyone playing?
I've been going through Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (WHAT a cool title for a game) on the OG Xbox. It's one of my favourite games ever, the voice acting in it is A+. It's really interesting seeing the DNA of what would later appear in the new Wolfenstein games.

Have a good weekend you too!

I think I'm in the mood of starting Call of Cthulhu on PS4 (got it physical for 11€) as it shouldn't be a long game. Got a long weekend as I'll be free up until next wednesday so I'll keep streaming Bloodborne, play Cthulhu and maybe some Ghost Recon Breakpoint.