Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

interrodactyl posted:

So I finally figured out what was happening. The latest BIOS update for the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro does not support 3600mhz RAM. I had to set mine down to 3200mhz and all the errors and slowdown disappeared.

This BIOS update also broke half of the USB ports on the I/O. Unfortunately, it's also the update that adds support for Zen 3 processors.

Really thinking of RMA'ing the mobo at this point, or just resigning myself to waiting for the next BIOS update.

e: And Gigabyte actually just removed the latest F11 bios update from their site recently.

Something strange is going on here because I am running F11k on that board and XMP is running fine on my 3600 speed RAM.

Maybe it's only good on very specific RAM configurations and just eats poo poo on the rest?

I had no trouble with F10 either FWIW. F11 is benchmarking better but it's like <1% difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

sean10mm posted:

Something strange is going on here because I am running F11k on that board and XMP is running fine on my 3600 speed RAM.

Maybe it's only good on very specific RAM configurations and just eats poo poo on the rest?

I had no trouble with F10 either FWIW. F11 is benchmarking better but it's like <1% difference.

Well, maybe I'm just unlucky then. Googling around has shown that I'm not the only one with this issue, so no idea what's causing this.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

ShowTime posted:

How hard is it to update the BIOS on a motherboard? This mb https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi/p/N82E16813144310?Item=N82E16813144310 is very highly recommended but doesn't look to be ready for 3rd gen Ryzens. The listing itself and what others have said (pcpartpicker comments) have said the BIOS update was as easy and downloading the updated BIOS on a usb drive and plugging it in. Anyone have any experience with this mb and updating the bios for new Ryzens?

I, not a computer wizard, flashed an MSI BIOS last week. Only difficulty was that it rejected my first two flash drives for some reason, so I'd suggest having several on hand. Expect the LED to flash for several (5ish) minutes—if it doesn't, try a new flash drive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goooooddddd I just built this new machine and it won't turn on. The power supply is good and tested but something is wrong. Could just be the power switch is in the wrong slot but...

I don't have time right now to diagnose it and it's stressing me out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Inzombiac posted:

Goooooddddd I just built this new machine and it won't turn on. The power supply is good and tested but something is wrong. Could just be the power switch is in the wrong slot but...

Fans don't even spin when you press the power button? If not, sounds like the power switch is on the wrong jumpers: check the manual.

What is your motherboard? Does it have a self-diagnosing LED?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Fans don't even spin when you press the power button? If not, sounds like the power switch is on the wrong jumpers: check the manual.

What is your motherboard? Does it have a self-diagnosing LED?

MSI PRO B550M.
No fan spin-up and no LEDs going. I checked the PSU independently and it's fine. It could be a number of things but I was stressed out when I built it and won't be able to get to it till tomorrow.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there any good USB 3.1 gen 2 powered hubs out there?

I see ones with like, ten or fifteen ports but that's more than I need I only need like, 5-7

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

sean10mm posted:

I had instability with RAM speeds above 3200 on F11k and had to roll back to F11i. The prelude to a random restart shows up for me as a bunch of WHEA errors in the Windows event log.

I've personally seen it with three different manufacturers, so I think there might be something being worked out with the B550/AGESA 1.1 combo.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm casually waiting to grab a 5600x while I wait for my case to come off backorder. I'm going from an i7 3700 to a 5600x, very excited to see what ten years of advancement in processors looks like :v:

ShowTime posted:

How hard is it to update the BIOS on a motherboard? This mb https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi/p/N82E16813144310?Item=N82E16813144310 is very highly recommended but doesn't look to be ready for 3rd gen Ryzens. The listing itself and what others have said (pcpartpicker comments) have said the BIOS update was as easy and downloading the updated BIOS on a usb drive and plugging it in. Anyone have any experience with this mb and updating the bios for new Ryzens?

I was looking at the exact same mobo; my understanding is that you make sure to have your USB in fat32 and install the BIOS in the root of the usb and you shouldn't have any other problems.
e: what the gently caress is up with mobos having fans like, right where the graphics card is going to be? No I don't want hot air blown directly at my graphics card thanks

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 5, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

MSI PRO B550M.
No fan spin-up and no LEDs going. I checked the PSU independently and it's fine. It could be a number of things but I was stressed out when I built it and won't be able to get to it till tomorrow.

I don’t know what your CPU is, but it’s possible if you have a zen3 you may need to update the BIOS and that could be your problem. If not...

You should unplug and replug all PSU cables on both sides, and triple check they’re in the right places (like use the manual and be 100% sure).

Also this is dumb and you probably did this but double check the switch on the back of the PSU, reseat the cable that plugs into the wall, and try a different outlet with no surge protector.

If those things don’t work, you should unplug EVERYTHING (including GPU, case fans, nvmes and hard drives, usb headers) except CPU fan, memory, and the power button lead and see if you get any lights or cpu fan. If you do next go with GPU and see if you can get bios, then go from there.

If you get nothing you now only have 4 parts to deal with.

Next would be to reseat ram and CPU. If you’re still getting nothing, pull the ram out and see what you get. If you get nothing there, it’s probably your PSU or your mobo. CPU is dead last as likely but possible.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Inzombiac posted:

MSI PRO B550M.

Have you tried turning it on by shorting the pins directly (ie with a flathead screwdriver)

Just press the screwdriver against the two pins marked power for a few seconds long enough to make a connection. It will at least rule out of maybe your case power switch is bad

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Do you have a. 5600x, 5800x etc? You probably need to update the bios. For msi you use a flash drive formatted as fat32, just the renamed bios file plug the drive in the back while the machine is powered off, but the psu is plugged in, press the bios flash button. Cpu ram etc can all be plugged in, doesn't matter

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

3700X

Is it reasonably possible these days to really gently caress up a component by plugging it weird or in the
wrong spot?

Just want to carve out some possibilities before I get it back to it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's really hard to plug anything important into the wrong spot and damaging it. The exception always being inserting the processor of course.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

You could break it down by component. Paperclip test the psu. 3700x has no integrated video, so make sure you have the monitor plugged into the video card. Try swapping around the plus and minus for the case power button. Listen for beeps for the error code

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Would a non-compatable GPU cause a non-boot?

I can't afford a new one (that would be an upgrade) so I stuck a 970 in there.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Would a non-compatable GPU cause a non-boot?

I can't afford a new one (that would be an upgrade) so I stuck a 970 in there.

That should be compatible with anything.

Are you getting any lights on the board at all when you switch the power supply on?

Are you sure you wired the front panel connections correctly?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I've been casually researching a new computer for a while now, having never built one before. The main goal is to lay a really solid foundation for an eventual Flight Sim 2020 simpit, with the option for VR if/when that gets ironed out. Impulsively pulled the trigger on a 5800x the other week at only somewhat terrible markup and now I'm looking at speccing out all the rest. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Couple of questions, appreciate the patience!
  • Any consensus timeline on when the graphics card famine will be resolved? How unhappy would I be with a 1660ti for a few years; seems like that's the level where you can still get MSRP?

• I won't have another CPU on hand so it seems like making sure the motherboard BIOS can be flashed from a USB for Ryzen 3 is a requirement? I know the Asus ROG boards can do it; do you have to pay that gamer premium?

• I'm interested in a minimalist, sleeper style with no rgb or tempered glass or other gamer things, best way to realize cost savings from that? Also don't particularly think noise reduction is a priority.

• Similarly, if minimizing the overall size of the system were a goal, would I lose out on much going to a smaller motherboard format? Don't anticipate needing lots of storage; initially only planning on a 1TB M.2 SSD (unless that's a terrible idea)
What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? FS2020
What's your budget? ~$1000 (not including 5800x CPU)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Good-quality VR MSFS 2020 is the eventual goal, or a 3-monitor setup if VR is a bust.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 5, 2020

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A 1660ti should be okay for up to 1440p in FS2020, but not with everything cranked and almost certainly not for VR, especially on recent headsets. Speaking from personal experience with a 980ti here, which should have roughly similar performance. It's anyone's guess as to when GPU supply will be less hosed, but I'd aim (well, I am aiming) for at least a 3060ti if not a 3070.

BIOS flashback is not an uncommon feature on less expensive boards, just keep an eye out in the spec sheet/take a look at the rear I/O panel photos. One of the USB ports will usually have a label/button next to it and/or be colored differently.

If you don't want RGB then don't buy RGB fans or RAM and you'll probably save a few bucks. Some cases will have options for a metal or glass side panel, metal tends to be cheaper but it's not a universal thing and I wouldn't let it keep me from grabbing an otherwise good case. If the parts you buy happen to have RGB (it can be hard to avoid sometimes) you can usually disable it or at least set it to a solid/neutral color.

MicroATX has a lot of options if you wanna go smaller, and you wouldn't be losing much in terms of features. There's also mini-ITX if you wanna go really small, but that can potentially introduce some other hassles like needing a special power supply or space restrictions limiting options for CPU cooling/GPU fit/additional drive capacity.

Something like this should be a solid starting point. You didn't mention if you already had CPU cooling taken care of, so I threw a Noctua in there. Adjust as desired.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Basticle posted:

Hello, last February I built this PC with the intention of getting a 1440p monitor and new video card once the 3000 series come out.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

+ a 3-4 year old Samsung 850 Evo SATA

Will that PSU be fine for a 3060 Ti? Most calculators say I'd only need like 380w-400w or so, despite nvidia recommending 600

And how critical is it to replace that SSD with a NVME drive (if at all)?

I'm running a 3070 and 3600 with a 550w PSU and it's working perfectly well, I'd say you're good

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The rear exhaust fan on my old (for the hobby) NZXT S340 is starting to fail; it makes an unfortunate noise when it spins up. Suggestions on a non-RGB 120mm case fan that's in stock right this second, since i don't want to be without a fan if this thing stops spinning tomorrow. I just blew a lot of money on the GPU, so I'd prefer to stay at the "sweet spot" price point rather than "really nice."

Or are these sub-$20 things basically commodities?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Boxman posted:

The rear exhaust fan on my old (for the hobby) NZXT S340 is starting to fail; it makes an unfortunate noise when it spins up. Suggestions on a non-RGB 120mm case fan that's in stock right this second, since i don't want to be without a fan if this thing stops spinning tomorrow. I just blew a lot of money on the GPU, so I'd prefer to stay at the "sweet spot" price point rather than "really nice."

Looks like the plain brown Noctua fans are in stock directly on Newegg. The redux and chromax black ones appear to be getting scalped however, which is just loving bonkers

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-f1...2802-_-12052020

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Boxman posted:

Sup nzxt s340 buddy.

Just finished installing my Ryzen 5800x (FUMA 2 Cooler), 32gig ram, Hynix p31 m2 drive and my oh my this thing screams.

Coming from a 4690k with a bottlenecked rtx 2070 super. Games are night and days on 1440p 120hz.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

No BIOS update w/ a zen3 should cause a POST failure but not a power failure, with the CPU and maybe more diag lights on the board coming on.

If it's not powering on it's either a DOA board, the board is shorting out, bad power switch/wrong headers. My first PC I ever built I got a straight up DOA board out of the box, it really sucked.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
[PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($223.55 @ iSanek)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case

Would a kind soul look over these parts for any glaring problems. Prices below because the picker wasn't getting prices.

The RAM is stupid overkill. I think I've been watching too much buildzoid/ram reviews and it's warped everything. It was only 130CAD so it's like 20 dollars more expensive than 3200GHz Cl16.

I would have prefered the aorus pro but stock so the asus tuf seems like a comparable board.

Reusing my gtx970/550W psu until 3080 stock normalizes at which point I'll get a new psu as well.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MasterBuilder posted:

[PCPartPicker Part List

Would a kind soul look over these parts for any glaring problems. Prices below because the picker wasn't getting prices.

The RAM is stupid overkill. I think I've been watching too much buildzoid/ram reviews and it's warped everything. It was only 130CAD so it's like 20 dollars more expensive than 3200GHz Cl16.

I would have prefered the aorus pro but stock so the asus tuf seems like a comparable board.

Reusing my gtx970/550W psu until 3080 stock normalizes at which point I'll get a new psu as well.

D15S is overkill, you could go with a U14S unless you just never want your 5800X to go above 60C...

The RAM is stupid overkill: you will get better performance from 3600 CL16 is the thread consensus. Lower CAS > Higher Clock Speed.

How old is your PSU? Probably better to go ahead and get the new one so you don't accidentally fry $1000 in new parts. :ohdear:

Also, GTX970 is pretty long in the tooth: have you considered EVGA Step Up as a solution? Get a 2060 or 2070 and then swap it out when the email comes?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

[PCPartPicker Part List

It's not just stupid overkill, the real problem is that if you run 4000 speed ram with zen 3 it probably won't run 1:1 with the memory controller and will actually LOWER performance vs. just using a 3600 CL16 kit and turning on XMP.

fclk is still only consistently hitting 1800-1900 so the realistic ceiling for ram speed is 3800 (2x1900).

Of course if you're buying 4000 speed RAM with the intent of micromanaging all the settings to get 1:1 you can ignore this and the only problem with using 4000 speed ram is that it's usually expensive as hell.

I have a U14S on my 5800X and I would consider that the baseline cooler for that CPU. If I was going bigger I would jump straight to the non-S D15 with 2 fans. Or maybe stick a 2nd fan on the U14S. Noctua recommends a slower 2nd fan because I think otherwise it creates weird acoustics IIRC

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also, GTX970 is pretty long in the tooth: have you considered EVGA Step Up as a solution? Get a 2060 or 2070 and then swap it out when the email comes?

Evga 20 series aren't in stock or are being scalped too for that exact reason.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 5, 2020

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Yeah. But the plan was to try lowering speeds and tighten timings. Dumb maybe but I am about to start 3 weeks vacation so I will have time to gently caress around with things.

PSU is old. tx550m 8 years at this point but I haven't had any issue with it and total power with the 970 is 350 so there is good headroom even with degradation.

edit:
The noctua was a hard compromise because the 2 fan was 360CAD on amazon vs the 1 fan for 110CAD. Which is still expensive but if I need to get a another fan that is fairly easy.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 5, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

[PCPartPicker Part List

Do you need a ton of hard drive bays and 5.25 bays?

Newer cases dumped that stuff for better fan airflow.

CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW is cheap but you need to buy it 3 more fans imo. Use the 2 included fans as exhaust and get 3 intake fans.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or go for something like a meshify C or P500A and buy whatever fans it takes to get to 3 in, 2 out.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fracta...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100006519&d=Phanteks%20Eclipse%20P500A

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

Yeah. But the plan was to try lowering speeds and tighten timings. Dumb maybe but I am about to start 3 weeks vacation so I will have time to gently caress around with things.

PSU is old. tx550m 8 years at this point but I haven't had any issue with it and total power with the 970 is 350 so there is good headroom even with degradation.

edit:
The noctua was a hard compromise because the 2 fan was 360CAD on amazon vs the 1 fan for 110CAD. Which is still expensive but if I need to get a another fan that is fairly easy.

That 360 CAD is a scalper selling through amazon, the real price of the D15 is barely more than the D15S.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

spunkshui posted:

Do you need a ton of hard drive bays and 5.25 bays?

Newer cases dumped that stuff for better fan airflow.

CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW is cheap but you need to buy it 3 more fans imo. Use the 2 included fans as exhaust and get 3 intake fans.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or go for something like a meshify C or P500A and buy whatever fans it takes to get to 3 in, 2 out.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fracta...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100006519&d=Phanteks%20Eclipse%20P500A

The case is from my current system. Once I get all the pats for the new system I'll get a meshify C or the 4000d(? I think that's the right)

sean10mm posted:

That 360 CAD is a scalper selling through amazon, the real price of the D15 is barely more than the D15S.

A moot point now because that's the only part I actually have in hand at the moment

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

The case is from my current system. Once I get all the pats for the new system I'll get a meshify C or the 4000d(? I think that's the right)

A moot point now because that's the only part I actually have in hand at the moment

Got it, good call.

Prices should be better on desirable case fans too after the holidays I hope.

Probably not lol.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Well, the new computer is built and running. Despite only getting a 3070 instead of the 3080 I wanted, a similarly a 5800X instead of the 5900X, I'm pretty happy with it. The only hiccup a ran into was my DOA XDATA 2TB M.2 drive (that I luckily decided to not use as my OS drive, but to install at the end as the photo editing drive).

Does anyone have any recommendations for good utilities I may want to use on the new build? I have HWiNFO running for monitoring, and I tested my SSD with CrystalMark. I'm wondering if there is a good utility for adjusting fan speed within Windows on the fly (both CPU and GPU).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Kingnothing posted:

Can you be more firm on your budget? Like wanted budget + max budget?

Do you want 4k@60 access or no? Because 4k@60 is doable for sure if you have the budget for it.

$15 SA mart windows license will do ya good.

Quiet isn’t too hard as long as you spend the money on aftermarket cooling.

Ok thanks you and everyone who replied. So it seems like everything on Ultra at 1080 or 1440 is very do-able now but the 4k@60 is for when the top end cards become available again.

So I could look into getting a really nice present computer for $1,000-$1,500 now, but I could also wait a bit for better availability of the new components.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Samadhi posted:

Well, the new computer is built and running. Despite only getting a 3070 instead of the 3080 I wanted, a similarly a 5800X instead of the 5900X, I'm pretty happy with it. The only hiccup a ran into was my DOA XDATA 2TB M.2 drive (that I luckily decided to not use as my OS drive, but to install at the end as the photo editing drive).

Does anyone have any recommendations for good utilities I may want to use on the new build? I have HWiNFO running for monitoring, and I tested my SSD with CrystalMark. I'm wondering if there is a good utility for adjusting fan speed within Windows on the fly (both CPU and GPU).

CPU and case fan curves are typically done in the bios but some motherboards have software that lets you adjust those settings while in windows.

MSI afterburner will let you overclock and play with GPU fans.

If you like monitoring there's this nifty little thing that sits down by your clock and shows activity of networking and cpu ect ect.

https://entropy6.com/xmeters/

I'm using coretemp to show CPU temps down in the task bar too.

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

spunkshui posted:

That should be compatible with anything.

Are you getting any lights on the board at all when you switch the power supply on?

Are you sure you wired the front panel connections correctly?

WELL!

It turns out all the new components are fine. I was using an old SATA cable to power by DVD drive and it refused to boot with that plugged in.

Now I'm constantly stuck in a BIOS loop. It's refusing to acknowledge Windows on any of my drives.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Inzombiac posted:

WELL!

It turns out all the new components are fine. I was using an old SATA cable to power by DVD drive and it refused to boot with that plugged in.

Now I'm constantly stuck in a BIOS loop. It's refusing to acknowledge Windows on any of my drives.

You had windows on an older chipset and are just moving it over? Are you sure you weren't on Legacy Boot, and now it is set to UEFI? Check in the BIOS. That happened to me - if you can SEE all of the drives via the SATA readout in the BIOS but nothing will appear bootable try that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bus hustler posted:

You had windows on an older chipset and are just moving it over? Are you sure you weren't on Legacy Boot, and now it is set to UEFI? Check in the BIOS. That happened to me - if you can SEE all of the drives via the SATA readout in the BIOS but nothing will appear bootable try that.

Hmm, I just combed through and UEFI options are all that's available. No Legacy anything.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 5, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spunkshui posted:

CPU and case fan curves are typically done in the bios but some motherboards have software that lets you adjust those settings while in windows.

MSI afterburner will let you overclock and play with GPU fans.

If you like monitoring there's this nifty little thing that sits down by your clock and shows activity of networking and cpu ect ect.

https://entropy6.com/xmeters/

I'm using coretemp to show CPU temps down in the task bar too.

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

My Asus board has this tool, and for fans it’s awesome. I have my idle fan curves which are basically silent, and when I’m sitting to game I have a super aggressive fan curve (IE everything at 100% RPM cause I’m basically deaf and play with loud rear end headphones). One button click to switch back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Hmm, I just combed through and UEFI options are all that's available. No Legacy anything.

Try disconnecting all the other drives except boot

Then if that doesn’t work do a clean install.