Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I just wish I knew why it stops advancing to the next episode after what seems like a set amount of time but damned if I can figure out what it is (on Chromecasts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Nocheez posted:

I just wish I knew why it stops advancing to the next episode after what seems like a set amount of time but damned if I can figure out what it is (on Chromecasts).

I thought this was a built-in thing to Plex? I can only get Playlists to play longer than a few episodes without stopping.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It works fine when I use my laptop and the web portal while traveling, but the Chromecasts never last longer than maybe episodes.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Here’s a handy tip if you’re trying to use a Amazon Fire device when your internet is down (and you have a local plex device with all the auth set up to allow offline), meaning you just get a rude message about Home not being available. Go to Settings => Applications => Manage Installed Applications.

Scroll down to Plex, select it, then select Launch Application. Congrats, you’re watching Plex

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Violator posted:

Anyone have an issue where at the end of tv episode the player will jump back replay the last five minutes or so of the episode before going to the next episode?

This happened to me just now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone have any idea why Plex would be doing a container transcode if both video and audio are direct stream (no subtitles)?

Here is what Tautulli is showing.

Streaming device is a 2019 Roku Ultra (4670). Running the latest version of Plex (non Plex Pass, 1.21.0.3711).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Moey posted:

Anyone have any idea why Plex would be doing a container transcode if both video and audio are direct stream (no subtitles)?

Streaming device is a 2019 Roku Ultra (4670). Running the latest version of Plex (non Plex Pass, 1.21.0.3711).

Can you dump the output of "mkvinfo" ?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H110Hawk posted:

Can you dump the output of "mkvinfo" ?

Here is what MediaInfo reports. If this is missing anything that you are looking for, let me know.

The only thing I can think of is the Roku cannot bitstream the audio track (DTS-HD MA), but neither Tautilli or Plex is reporting that it is transcoding audio, just the container.

Testing with a Dolby TrueHD audio track, I trigger an audio transcode.

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 8, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Moey posted:

Besides the "oh durr" option that you have direct play disabled on the client, the most likely explanation is it needs to do something to one or all of the 22 text streams in the file to maintain compatibility with the client.
The plex log file should tell you the reason it selected stream instead of play, though if it's just the one file doing it I wouldn't worry too much.
Everything else about the video and audio stream is compatible with the Roku.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Moey posted:

Here is what MediaInfo reports. If this is missing anything that you are looking for, let me know.

The only thing I can think of is the Roku cannot bitstream the audio track (DTS-HD MA), but neither Tautilli or Plex is reporting that it is transcoding audio, just the container.

Testing with a Dolby TrueHD audio track, I trigger an audio transcode.

Check "Force direct play" - the roku ships with braindead defaults. (It tries to transcode everything to 4mbps...) I realize this isn't your exact problem but go find it. What does your TV support? Is your HDMI cable high enough version?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Well, I think I figured out the bitstream thing. DTS-HD MA is encoded with a "lossy DTS" first, giving it a core first for more compatibility. According to wikipedia, first paragraph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio

I don't believe that is triggering the MKV -> MKV transcode though.

Full setup is Roku -HDMI- Soundbar -HDMI- TV. All HDMI cables are new 2.0 cables and short runs.

I am testing out this soundbar currently, but it claims to support everything I am wanting (and sounds decent enough too). Snagged it on sale a few weeks ago.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087C5PR2Z/

Edit: I'll double check the Roku/Plex settings on Direct Play, I believe I went and tweaked them all long ago. I'll also rip out the unnecessary sub tracks and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the feedback as I go down the rabbit hole of fancy pantsy audio.

Is the Shield Pro the only real option for a Plex client that can passthrough bitstream/lossless audio? That is what my googling was leading me to believe.

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 8, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Moey posted:

Well, I think I figured out the bitstream thing. DTS-HD MA is encoded with a "lossy DTS" first, giving it a core first for more compatibility. According to wikipedia, first paragraph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio

I don't believe that is triggering the MKV -> MKV transcode though.

Full setup is Roku -HDMI- Soundbar -HDMI- TV. All HDMI cables are new 2.0 cables and short runs.

I am testing out this soundbar currently, but it claims to support everything I am wanting (and sounds decent enough too). Snagged it on sale a few weeks ago.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087C5PR2Z/

Edit: I'll double check the Roku/Plex settings on Direct Play, I believe I went and tweaked them all long ago.

Yeah both DTS HDMA and Dolby TrueHD have cores that are their old lossy DVD counterparts for compatibility.

It could also be the PGS subtitles that are throwing it off.

Some players don't behave unless all audio tracks are in either .AAC or .AC3 format, and all subtitle tracks are in .SRT format. If you want to invest a little time in figuring this out, use MKVToolNix to generate a file with the PGS subtitle files removed and see where that gets you. If that's still an issue, you can re-encode the audio to AC3 (XMedia Recode will let you do a fast copy of the file where it keeps the video track and only re-encodes the audio track).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
So for example, my Roku Ultra 2019 edition -> LG C9 OLED display on the latest version of cables only container shifts if it's a mp4. It flat refuses to play if it's the newer HEVC extended format.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Removing the PGS subtitles still ended up with the same result of the MKV -> MKV transcode.

Changed the Plex settings on the Roku for Direct Play from Auto to Forced. No more container transcode!

Testing with a DTS-HD MA track direct played everything. Testing out a file with a TrueHD track now plays back without audio transcoding as well (though the file I was testing had the audio randomly cutting for a second every 30 seconds or so).

I'll have to keep digging/testing, but it seems like Plex on Roku is just fucky with what capabilities it is telling the Plex server that it can support?

Here is a photo of the setting (stolen from online). Changed Direct Play from Auto to Forced.

H110Hawk posted:

So for example, my Roku Ultra 2019 edition -> LG C9 OLED display on the latest version of cables only container shifts if it's a mp4. It flat refuses to play if it's the newer HEVC extended format.

Yeah, these are all HVEC MKV, no MP4. I am just now starting to dabble into the 4k (and fancy audio) world.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Change that max level to whatever is actually max in the menu. Plex ships with super dumb defaults.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H110Hawk posted:

Change that max level to whatever is actually max in the menu. Plex ships with super dumb defaults.

That won't matter with what I am troubleshooting here, as this is all H.265 (HVEC) stuff.

I ended up ordering a Shield Pro to test out.

I'll update back how that works out. For $200, I would hope flawless.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

HEVC has levels, and in your case the source is 5.1 and the player is (if default like the screenshot) on 4.1.
This can cause weird things, like it'll fail the check to direct-play but then the video and audio will pass the check to direct stream. I presume this is what is happening here. Or, it's wrapping it because of the PGS subs, and it'll then direct stream as long as they are not actually used.

My understanding is if the client doesn't support everything in the MKV, it will always re-wrap.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Is Plex's name on the setting incorrect there? It is explicitly saying "Maximum H.264 Level".

If that is the case, it wouldn't even surprise me, but since this is not H.264 content, I wouldn't think twice about that setting coming into play.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I've always had the working assumption it was effectively the level for both, but thinking about it, it makes no sense for that to be the implementation.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
None the less, I'll should be able to passthrough TrueHD and DTS-HD MA directly once the Shield TV gets delivered.

I'll report back if anyone is interested.

Thanks all for the assistance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Moey posted:

Is Plex's name on the setting incorrect there? It is explicitly saying "Maximum H.264 Level".

If that is the case, it wouldn't even surprise me, but since this is not H.264 content, I wouldn't think twice about that setting coming into play.

Just try it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H110Hawk posted:

Just try it.

Maximum H.254 level to 5.1, Direct Play back to auto. Still doing MKV -> MKV transcoding like it was originally (Audio and Video not transcoding from the server).

So either the issue is the Roku Plex Client or the Roku itself not presenting it's full capabilities, or there isn't a H.265 max level setting. Forcing direct play does "fix" the container transcode.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Moey posted:

Maximum H.254 level to 5.1, Direct Play back to auto. Still doing MKV -> MKV transcoding like it was originally (Audio and Video not transcoding from the server).

So either the issue is the Roku Plex Client or the Roku itself not presenting it's full capabilities, or there isn't a H.265 max level setting. Forcing direct play does "fix" the container transcode.

Odd. I leave force direct play checked. Plex is known for loving this stuff up constantly and subtly, they're also dealing with a huge range of differently encoded stuff. Even within h265@5.1 there are a ton of options. I have transcoding disabled on my server.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I serve a lot of media to remote clients (non 4k) and need to transcode sometimes for reasons deemed good enough.

Plex doesn't have a way to disable transcoding on a per-library basis, correct?

I have the beginnings of my 4k stuff separate from everything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Separating 4K isn't uncommon, especially if you share with other users.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Moey posted:

I serve a lot of media to remote clients (non 4k) and need to transcode sometimes for reasons deemed good enough.

Plex doesn't have a way to disable transcoding on a per-library basis, correct?

I have the beginnings of my 4k stuff separate from everything.

You can only limit the number of simultaneous video transcodes your server is able to do unfortunately. But separating your 4K content into its own library is good practice anyways.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Per-library transcode settings would be amazing but until that happens, I'll just make sure 4K content is only accessible by people who actually know how to disable transcoding.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My powerline adaptors haven't been cutting it because the link quality, after an initial strong showing, keeps oscillating between great and terrible. They're getting on a decade old; will newer models possibly overcome the problem if I'm getting a link? I figure if the house wiring was completely inhospitable I wouldn't be able to transmit at all.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Shumagorath posted:

My powerline adaptors haven't been cutting it because the link quality, after an initial strong showing, keeps oscillating between great and terrible. They're getting on a decade old; will newer models possibly overcome the problem if I'm getting a link? I figure if the house wiring was completely inhospitable I wouldn't be able to transmit at all.

I definitely had better reliability and speed with a newer set. I am using TP-Link AV1000s

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

All powerline adaptors lose a lot of speed vs their stated max, but its usually relative performance. So if you buy newer and much faster ones, you should be OK.
I've usually seen them lose 50%, so plan for that.
i. e. If you're getting 50 of 100, you'd likely get 250 of 500.

Their stated speed is really only possible in the same room. As soon as they're going between different wire runs they suffer.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I gave up on TP-Link AV1000s in my brand-new house with brand-new wiring because despite the two rooms being only about 15ft apart, the bandwidth dwindled down to about 3Kb/s after about two weeks. For the first couple days it was sort-of fast-enough (i.e., 30mb/s, but certainly not gigabit speeds), but by the end of it I couldn't do jack poo poo and so dropping the cash to drop a line in was the only option.

edit: That said, if you do powerline make sure you've got a return option, because it might or might not work to your needs and it's hard to tell without trying. I was lucky that I was still in the return window when the speed went to poo poo.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 9, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If your house is wired for coax, maybe try MoCA adapters instead of powerline. I consistently get my full gigabit internet speeds through them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Coax feeds the TVs / internet so I assume that's out...? Why does HomePlug / Powerline degrade over time? When I hooked these up they were handling Plex easily and died off within days.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Coax feeds the TVs / internet so I assume that's out...? Why does HomePlug / Powerline degrade over time? When I hooked these up they were handling Plex easily and died off within days.
I can't answer your powerline questions, but you can run MoCA over the same cables that internet and TV travel through. Uses different frequencies and they don't interfere with each other at all, I'm pretty sure. You'll just have to get some splitters along with the adapters. (I can't vouch for this, myself, as I have FIOS coming in and no TV, but it's definitely designed to work this way, and it was entirely plug and play easy for me.)

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Shumagorath posted:

I believe MoCa doesn't work if you have cable internet, as it's in the same frequencies as that? I'd have to find the instructions for my adapters (i too have fiber so nothing on my coax)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I believe MoCa doesn't work if you have cable internet, as it's in the same frequencies as that? I'd have to find the instructions for my adapters (i too have fiber so nothing on my coax)

This random Xfinity forum thread says it should work fine. I guess this might be worth asking the SHSC home networking thread about. They might have a better idea. My setup is fairly simple and could have been accomplished with a long ethernet cable, but the owner already had a coax cable running half of the run, so I just finished that. (I rent, so I can't do anything in or through walls or ceiling.)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Streaming The Mandalorian and it's HEVC 10 bit HDR, I think just AC3 5.1, (phone posting I will double check) but it stutters on my Nvidia Shield Tube but not when running the app off of my new Sony X900h running Android TV... what should I look for troubleshooting this?

Would rather not to have to switch to a different input, the AI upscaling on the shield is really nice.

What should I be looking for as well if I have gigabit up from the server and down from the player, but I can't get anything higher than 5 megabit to remote play consistently?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Just noticed a playlist on the bottom of the iOS app’s dashboard called “Tis the season” with Christmas movies from my own library. That’s pretty slick and I prefer that over the random stuff they stream that I just turn off when those appear. First time I’ve seen a generated playlist of my own content.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Violator posted:

Just noticed a playlist on the bottom of the iOS app’s dashboard called “Tis the season” with Christmas movies from my own library. That’s pretty slick and I prefer that over the random stuff they stream that I just turn off when those appear. First time I’ve seen a generated playlist of my own content.

That is cool! Lol of course it has Die Hard..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I like how it showed up after I spent a bunch of time making my own one! However it’s a neat idea for sure and I hope they do more stuff with it.

I also notice Top Deck or whatever it’s called on Apple TV is working again, and it’s defaulting to those movies. I never use that feature but it’s better than just displaying the Plex logo in big letters.