Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder how the story and quest pacing will feel to players like me who don't need to blitz through the whole thing in 4 days to hit a publishing deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

JamMasterJim posted:

Is IGN really small now, cause I spot a 90 there.

hey you spotted the aformentioned 1 i noticed

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Looks like to pro move is to hold off on buying until a few post release patches come out. There’s never been a day one patch for a major release that’s fixed a game that was janky to be point of nearly broken at release

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

rap music posted:

Can someone just fuckin tell me what the right opinion is already

Sure.

It's what you believe the truth to be.

In the end no one can answer for you, you may like it, you may hate it, you may think it's brilliant or you may think it's trash.

In the end, decide for yourself.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do any of the reviews mention whether reviewers got the day-one patch included in the copy they played?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
before people behead me btw, i love buggy pieces of poo poo games, not saying 2077 is/will be but I'm playing it all the same as soon as it comes out.......

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Last Call posted:

I wouldn't trust a streaming platform with my life, but then my net is poo poo, if yours is godly it might be a different story. Even then I wouldn't go Stadia or anything. I mean who expects that to even be around in a year.

Or lord no I’m not trusting stadia. I have a Fios 1gbs setup. Nice thing with GeForce is it’s $5 a month and I can still return the game if it’s piss within two hours.

Will be hilarious to try and run it on my computer though. i3-5000k and a GeForce 1050 Ti (budget one). I mean I can’t imagine who much of a potato this will look like.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

BUY OR gently caress OFF

new thread title

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slumpy posted:

ill go to places such as stevior and gameblogs.fr for my reviews.

i think i saw 1 reviewer in the 80 and up review page that i recognized

edit: i still want to suck Penis 2 if that makes you feel better

You can go to Opencritic.com if you want a more tailored list of high traffic reviewers. The numbers are even better there though.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Not gonna lie, some of the complaints about an edgy atheistic and offensive clash of cultures or whatever sounds a lot like asking this Cyberpunk game has so much Cyperpunk in it.

The complaints about the about the bugged characters/missions/even UI all sound bad though, like real bad. I was kind of worried they would try to make a GTA style game, like there’s reasons why Rockstar spends millions and has one of the biggest dev teams out there.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

So you’re saying I’ll have to play it myself to decide if I like it or not? Thanks for nothing!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I love Jeff Gerstmann. It's amazing how the man can just say words about a thing and people translate it into scathing hate.

Wish I had that power.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Gerstmann has a fundamental misunderstanding of the Cyberpunk IP.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do any of the reviews mention whether reviewers got the day-one patch included in the copy they played?

They supposedly have whatever the most recent digital build was at the time they got their review key. So more patched up than the physical copies floating around but possibly not as patched as whatever will be available on launch day.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WaPo person seems to indicate he did, but I might have misread it as saying even that don’t fix everything.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
This game, even with the Day 1 Patch, will have more bugs than Elex. The fact that it's in the 90 range at all means the reviewers are being too kind.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

CRAYON posted:

I love Jeff Gerstmann. It's amazing how the man can just say words about a thing and people translate it into scathing hate.

Wish I had that power.

just say it doesnt live up to the hype

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Qmass posted:

because you cannot capture gameplay of the game without it looking really loving buggy and janked. CDPR themselves didn't release any unscripted gameplay before release... I think we know why now.

CDPR's marketing game has been real slick for many years on this, but I guess not even they could salvage workable gameplay footage that isn't sourced from highly scripted mission sequences that have been hyperpolished to a sheen.

I guess we'll see on launch day. I'm being cautiously pessimistic.

ymgve posted:

This game, even with the Day 1 Patch, will have more bugs than Elex. The fact that it's in the 90 range at all means the reviewers are being too kind.

Like in many cases when games release in a buggy state, it's possible that the reviewers aren't scoring the actual state of the game, but rather the promise of it - the potential game it could be in their heads.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

THERE'S A CHARACTER NAMED MR.HANDS

“Bathroom Eyes gets his way.”

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ymgve posted:

I mean what score do you think New Vegas should have gotten?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Slumpy posted:

hey you spotted the aformentioned 1 i noticed

Well , there is also gamesradar, gameinformer and Vg247, which I remember being old/prevalent . But I do not really read reviews anymore, so I may have mixed them up.

I mostly care about bug reports than reviewing story/mechanics nowdays.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This is actually one of the few reviews that I might pay some attention to. That’s not a result I’d expect from Rob just going by that snippet.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
never ever in the history of vidya gaems has a day one patch made any substantial difference whatsoever

still waiting for that vaunted day one patch for ffviir that fixes the textures :smug:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

sean10mm posted:

I mean what score do you think New Vegas should have gotten?

Both games should have been given half a year more development time. Also from what I've seen, which sure, is mostly before the patches, seems to be ten times more buggy than New Vegas was.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

A game doesn't get repeatedly delayed because things are going well.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Great, don’t bump into cops

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Anno posted:

This is actually one of the few reviews that I might pay some attention to. That’s not a result I’d expect from Rob just going by that snippet.

Supposedly many of these technical issues I encountered on PC—I cannot speak to console performance—will be solved with a "day one" patch, but the build I played was in a shocking state, and when you consider that the developer admitted back in January of 2020 that they would need to start extending workers' hours, the ubiquity of bugs and glitches testify to Cyberpunk 2077's troubled and ongoing development. After five years in development, almost a decade since the project was announced, and multiple delays (including a last minute retreat from its original fall release date), Cyberpunk 2077 still arrives as a game that feels like it is being held together with duct tape.

even your cherry picked review brings it up

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I think it's a given that the game will be a janky mess and the fact that reviewers are mentioning them rather than giving the game over the top clamoring praise should tell us what we need to know.

I am expecting terrible, possibly even famously awful jank and I'm still excited to play it but I recognize I might be in the minority there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I am expecting terrible, possibly even famously awful jank and I'm still excited to play it but I recognize I might be in the minority there.
Heck no, a lot people including me love eurojank.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ymgve posted:

Both games should have been given half a year more development time. Also from what I've seen, which sure, is mostly before the patches, seems to be ten times more buggy than New Vegas was.

This is viewing New Vegas with rose tinted glasses the thickness of cinder blocks lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 draws heavily from its source material, with everything from the world itself to the life and death of Johnny Silverhand coming from its pen-and-paper inspiration. But unlike in a tabletop RPG, you aren't playing a role of your own creation in Cyberpunk 2077; you're playing V, and this is V's story, not yours. I often felt like I was role-playing two different characters: one V for the side quests and one more limited V for the main story.

I was kinda afraid of this after watching some of the recent gameplay leaks. It seems like in lots of the conversations between Johnny and V there's not a lot of dialogue choices, its just canned conversation, which means your character ends up saying some things that may not have anything to do with how you were actually roleplaying your character. V seems to be very aggressive and swear a lot whether you like it or not.

No dealbreaker or anything but unfortunate. Again, Disco Elysium has got my hopes for RPG writing way up.

Not sure why you spoilered that part of the review, but if they played Cyberpunk 2020/red like that they really missed out. The "life path" system which the 3 separate origins is supposed to emulate is one of the niftier parts of the pen and paper game and potentially forces you to think about your character a little bit more as you have to adapt to whatever changes to the background the dice give you.

This is the start of a cyberpunk red campaign a bunch of esports casters have been running, I've timestamped where they start rolling for lifepath background and events, some end up changing their initial character idea pretty significantly. Back up from the beginning if you like. Its a fun campaign to watch, sideshow basically has wisdom as a dump stat in real life so its always entertaining. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrFVYAnqVug&t=1813s

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Have any reviews mentioned serious, show-stopping, save ruining bugs? I can deal with reloading saves because something didn't trigger right or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blue Raider posted:

Gerstmann has a fundamental misunderstanding of the Cyberpunk IP.

so do a bunch of reviewers apparently. the only critical review that gets the IP is waypoint. the rest seem mad its not like an indie game where the future is brighter and etc.

Anno posted:

thats waypoint in a nutshell. they have actual good reviews for the most part. you just have to read them.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Starks posted:

Is it bad to like good bread?

YES!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Heck no, a lot people including me love eurojank.

Kingdom Come Deliverance was an amazing game, and it was pretty much the poster child for eurojank.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This thread is literally like something out of US election night with everyone frantically trying to interpret exit polls, lol.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think GiantBomb's argument on the city/setting actually feeling boilerplate's cyberpunk and the overuse of sex (hundreds of dildos!) as a shortcut of how edge and dirty everything is, are very fair points.

When the game was announced in 2012 I thought in that moment "let's see what they do, because I played the original tabletop once and it seemed kind of boilerplate and full of tropes".

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The dutch review says it's "een game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

The Bad
There's so much to do that isn't meaningful, so a lot of it ends up feeling superfluous

I wonder if the reviewer feels the same way about most of Ubisoft games.

Also for reviews I usually just look at kotaku/polygon as a barometer. Usually whatever they dislike/heavily criticize, I end up liking.