Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I remember being excited when my parents got a computer that had enough storage for me to do FULL INSTALLS of videogames. Wow, I don't need to swap discs to play Baldur's Gate!

Casting magic missile in the sequel always caused the game to crash.

Turin Turambar posted:

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1335999302812925954

SkillUp at least shows some integrity. He finished the game but will way until he can use his own footage.

Integrity? He's a chud, so is his brother who runs a channel that targets chuds.

In short, gently caress'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

It has been shown off in tons of gameplay videos, what's your question?

Mostly just kind of curious if it works as a main gameplay thing. Can I kill people with my magic/hacking powers? What's the equipment like and what's it's effect on that playstyle?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

it sounds like the console games run well enough on "pro" versions of base consoles and great on next gen.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I loved DE:MD and DE:HR and all, still love 'em, but I could have done with less broody "i didn't ask for this and neither did humanity" philosophizing

So I'm guessing respeccing is not a thing in this game, true? If so I'll be savescumming my build choices every inch of the way :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JamMasterJim posted:

I am not sure if Bioware's ventures and whatnot faced the problem that they became too ambitious.
Rather, most people seem to wish Bioware stuck with what mostly worked.

No, that goon is correct. The reason why ME: Andromeda was such a complete dumpster fire is they spent like 4 years trying to make No Man's Sky. They wanted to have procedural planets and quests that were generated across all these planets.

Then they saw it was way too much work, was taking way too long, cancelled that, and tried to crank out a ME3 sequel in like 2 years.

It was absolutely the problem.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The polygon review has me legit considering not getting the game

I'm trans, and yet I defended the trans billboard in the game because it's 100% on brand for the genre and imo not offensive at all, but as that review says, putting in that but then not also having you meet any positive trans characters, plus the sheer WTF of the "feminine voice gets you female pronouns"... not a good look at all

I think they'll patch the pronoun thing and make it selectable, hopefully, but to even have a build like this is p. shameful

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

No, that goon is correct. The reason why ME: Andromeda was such a complete dumpster fire is they spent like 4 years trying to make No Man's Sky. They wanted to have procedural planets and quests that were generated across all these planets.

Then they saw it was way too much work, was taking way too long, cancelled that, and tried to crank out a ME3 sequel in like 2 years.

also the hosed around for like 4 years on anthem and an EA exec had to come in and scream at them to actuall build something or think of real stuff instead of dumb faction poo poo. when EA is the good guy in your story, you hosed up.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sab669 posted:

I've been debating upgrading from my 1440p60hz monitor to a 120 or 144hz monitor next year but ugh that's the trappings I want to avoid lol.
but it's so good

the smoother mouse cursor in windows alone is :chef's kiss:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sab669 posted:

It has its place, I do like those kinds of themes in Deus Ex.

But futuristic heist game sounds way more fun to me. At the end of the day I don't even care about the "nature of man" and all that crap, if I could replace my dumb fleshy body with cyborg parts today I would be on the waiting list immediately (assuming I could afford it :v:)

I wouldn't jump to conclusions on that one though. As much as some people are complaining that there's not enough X, there are other reviewers saying that X is actually handled really well and its deep and their favorite game ever.

We need to play this one ourselves before we come to judgements on the story or themes.

Also, game reviewers have been playing the game for hours straight to rush a review and skipped lots of side content. Its not uncommon for games reviews to be like "WHY CAN'T YOU DO A THING" and you absolutely can. People miss stuff or draw weird conclusions when they're rushing. Add on top of that the clickbait nature of the internet and game reviews and saying something controversial is really encouranged.

rap music posted:

I think it’s a good idea to not cement our opinions about the experience of thing until we experience thing

Bingo bango.

Reviews are useful but none of these are really saying anything we didn't see coming. The bugs do sound serious but we even knew that if they were willing to delay the big marketed release. Unfortunately the reviews don't even tell us for sure how it'll be on launch day.

Pretty fair to assume some bugs will be patched and others won't. Beyond that.... we'll see.

Its Deus Ex Witcher. We knew this.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

black.lion posted:

I loved DE:MD and DE:HR and all, still love 'em, but I could have done with less broody "i didn't ask for this and neither did humanity" philosophizing

So I'm guessing respeccing is not a thing in this game, true? If so I'll be savescumming my build choices every inch of the way :getin:

I guess the criticism I'm hearing isn't that the game isn't heady, but that it's passing off 'edginess' as heady social commentary, but for some reviewers has ended up as just kind of obnoxious and annoying because it isn't actually saying anything of value.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's interesting how people take different things from reading a bunch of different reviews.

My overall impression is a game that plays like Deus Ex but in a bigger world with Witcher 3 like writing and side quests. Lots of character build diversity and replayability and less edgelord sleaze than the marketing made out.... but not, you know, NONE of that either.

Pre release version seems to vary from "buggy" to "wtf lmao" depending on the reviewer, which is not good but also not a stunner IMO when Witcher 3 got a lot of bitching about bugs on release too... along with pretty much every other action rpg I actually ever liked come to think of it.

A couple posters are acting like it's getting review bombed when it's sitting at 91 on Metacritic with a shitload of 100s, 2 "meh" reviews and 0 negative.

Easy Allies video basically convinced me this game is exactly my jam even if it migh take some patches to round into shape.

Simone Magus posted:

I'm trans, and yet I defended the trans billboard in the game because it's 100% on brand for the genre and imo not offensive at all, but as that review says, putting in that but then not also having you meet any positive trans characters, plus the sheer WTF of the "feminine voice gets you female pronouns"... not a good look at all

I think they'll patch the pronoun thing and make it selectable, hopefully, but to even have a build like this is p. shameful

Not snark: what games actually handle this decently yet? Would actually like to know.

Battletech did it pretty well, IIRC stereotypically male & female features didn't tie to anything about how you were identified and it had nonbinary as a personal pronoun choice on top of that. But it also didn't really do much with your character generation in general since 99.9% of the game was robot fights.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

but it's so good

the smoother mouse cursor in windows alone is :chef's kiss:

Yeah as stupid as this sounds, by far the best thing about having a 144hz monitor is the amazing smooth mouse scrolling. And scrolling up and down windows with the taskbar. It's really nice.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Reviews are useful but none of these are really saying anything we didn't see coming.

I did not expect the game that prominently features a trans character on a billboard to not actually have any trans characters in it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pylons posted:

Mostly just kind of curious if it works as a main gameplay thing. Can I kill people with my magic/hacking powers? What's the equipment like and what's it's effect on that playstyle?

100% you can kill people with magic but it'll take quite a long time to get good enough magic and buy a good enough cyberdeck to outright kill people.

Basically look at how magic works in Witcher and there's similar things at play here. Crafting, consumables, different spells, etc.

Similar uses in combat too. You can use hacking as attacks or as distractions or as debuffs or whatever. Aard, Quen, Igni, like that but cyber styled.

There are also moments where you do hacking as part of the story which plays different from how hacking plays in combat.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zaphod42 posted:

I wouldn't jump to conclusions on that one though. As much as some people are complaining that there's not enough X, there are other reviewers saying that X is actually handled really well and its deep and their favorite game ever.

We need to play this one ourselves before we come to judgements on the story or themes.

Also, game reviewers have been playing the game for hours straight to rush a review and skipped lots of side content. Its not uncommon for games reviews to be like "WHY CAN'T YOU DO A THING" and you absolutely can. People miss stuff or draw weird conclusions when they're rushing. Add on top of that the clickbait nature of the internet and game reviews and saying something controversial is really encouranged.

Bingo bango.

Reviews are useful but none of these are really saying anything we didn't see coming. The bugs do sound serious but we even knew that if they were willing to delay the big marketed release. Unfortunately the reviews don't even tell us for sure how it'll be on launch day.

Pretty fair to assume some bugs will be patched and others won't. Beyond that.... we'll see.

Its Deus Ex Witcher. We knew this.

I think reviews are good for managing expectations. If you read the text of most reviews they're fair and honest but if you listen to people talk about the game. They're excited as gently caress. They're all just "Oh my god. Oh my god. Bugs but oh my god"

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2020

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Hey so I mean this as a big question with zero rhetorical aim at all - is there a game that has stepped this thoroughly into trans dialog that has handled it better than CP2077 appears to have, based on this review (and others)?

I hear you on wanting positive trans characters 1000% (and I hope they're in there, hiding in the bajillion hours of sidequests that reviewers didn't have time to get to) but I took a moment to think back as if to say "yeah, like [that game]" but I drew a blank... what games have come out that really approached depicting trans persons, and of that list, which have done it well?

This is definitely not me saying "however CDPR have done it is good enough" and I hope that future updates address any issue the trans community may have with their portrayal in the game - just wondering if anyone before CDPR has done a good job of it and I'm not aware

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think reviews are good for managing expectations. If you read the text of most reviews they're fair and honest but if you listen to people talk about the game. They're hyped as gently caress. They're all just "Oh my god. Oh my god. Bugs but oh my god"

Tried to talk about this before in the thread, "hype" as a concept is awful and toxic period.

Games are games and its weird we have to keep like, managing expectations on what that means. You don't really see the same fanaticism about movies. You can be jazzed for a movie but ultimately you know its just gonna be 2 hours of fun times. I guess some people take bands to a religious level...

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

I guess the criticism I'm hearing isn't that the game isn't heady, but that it's passing off 'edginess' as heady social commentary, but for some reviewers has ended up as just kind of obnoxious and annoying because it isn't actually saying anything of value.

This was my experience of the outer worlds; the writing in this game being as bad as the outer worlds is maybe one of the few things that could derail my enthusiasm

Please do not let it be so, please let the quest writing quality of Witcher 3 shine through!!!

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Geforce 1060 getting 37 fps at 1080p medium. :chloe:

Not sure whether I'll get this day one, but PS5 it is.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zaphod42 posted:

Tried to talk about this before in the thread, "hype" as a concept is awful and toxic period.

I'll edit it out to say excited then if the word hype bothers you. They are excited about the game. They are visible animated and seemed to greatly enjoy their experience.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

black.lion posted:

Hey so I mean this as a big question with zero rhetorical aim at all - is there a game that has stepped this thoroughly into trans dialog that has handled it better than CP2077 appears to have, based on this review (and others?)

I hear you on wanting positive trans characters 1000% (and I hope they're in there, hiding in the bajillion hours of sidequests that reviewers didn't have time to get to) but I took a moment to think back as if to say "yeah, like [that game]" but I drew a blank... what games have come out that really approached depicting trans persons, and of that list, which have done it well?

All I can think of offhand is Krem in Dragon Age, and he was handled with the subtlety and nuance Bioware is famous for *gives liliana a pair of shoes so she likes me enough to have sex*

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Simone Magus posted:

I’m skeptical about this. It’s been called out as bad for quite a while now, at least since June, and changing it clearly hasn’t been a priority for them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

black.lion posted:

Hey so I mean this as a big question with zero rhetorical aim at all - is there a game that has stepped this thoroughly into trans dialog that has handled it better than CP2077 appears to have, based on this review (and others)?

This is definitely not me saying "however CDPR have done it is good enough" and I hope that future updates address any issue the trans community may have with their portrayal in the game - just wondering if anyone before CDPR has done a good job of it and I'm not aware

watch dogs legion has some but thats more of random generated thing. if you look in your various agents bios, some of them are trans. bagley is mosty used "they" and "you" in general anyway.

CottonWolf posted:

I’m skeptical about this. It’s been called out as bad for quite a while now, at least since June, and changing it clearly hasn’t been a priority for them.

part of me suspects its way more do to technical stuff or and scripting than just any malious intent. but thats just me. like picking it through vocal tracks was the easiet method or some poo poo. still hope it can be fixed though.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 7, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'll edit it out to say excited then if the word hype bothers you. They are excited about the game. They are visible animated and seemed to greatly enjoy their experience.

No not the word, but that very concept you yourself seem to be decrying? So now I'm confused on what you're saying.

You said reviews are useful because they're reasonable and gamers are being hype. I'm agreeing with you hype is bad.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Simone Magus posted:

I did not expect the game that prominently features a trans character on a billboard to not actually have any trans characters in it

I'm curious how this is even determined. Does a character need to explicitly say they're trans in the game in order for it to count, despite this society being entirely beyond birth-genderization norms? I'd think that, if anything, when society gets to as advanced a stage as cyberpunk concerning gender and genitalia, there is no longer such a thing as "I identify as a trans because this is a new thing for society and technology doesn't allow me fully biologically transition and etc." Trying to graft on current-day trans dialogue and themes onto a game which is technologically decades/centuries beyond where we currently are doesn't really make sense. The only dumb thing they did was the voice-is-gender thing, which I would hope is an easy patch.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I see.
I was thinking more in terms of how they were streamlining or straight-up downgrading between entries before that.
But if they seriously tried to make No Man's Sky the RPG (which was also a spectacular disappointment at release) with Andromeda, they were out of their goddamn minds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CottonWolf posted:

Which is so hosed. It's not like they have to record new lines.

Just let us pick our presented gender, voice and pronoun.

They already have the assets for each possibility and, in effect, boils down to just two. Have NPCs refer you to "he" or "she". Would be cool to include "they" but I don't expect much from AAA studios.

poo poo, using gender-neutral language would have been less work and covered all bases.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

black.lion posted:

This was my experience of the outer worlds; the writing in this game being as bad as the outer worlds is maybe one of the few things that could derail my enthusiasm

Please do not let it be so, please let the quest writing quality of Witcher 3 shine through!!!

I was just watching the Jeff Gerstmann stream, and one example he gave was a vending machine with advertising on it that says "Buy this or gently caress off!". AS this very, kind of, low-effort attempt at social commentary. The way he put it, it just doesn't feel very creative and comes off as rehashed/tired. That worries me, because that's the kind of thing that really gets in the way for me. I couldn't get through Outer Worlds for similar reasons!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

black.lion posted:

Easy Allies video review basically said the writing and characters were mostly real good, including V actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibTW2tu3ps

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

black.lion posted:

Trans/NB characters have been handled very well in many games lately :confused:

The Missing
CrossCode
Spiritfarer
Horizon
hell even Apex Legends
Even Pathfinder:Kingmaker, the groggiest grog game to ever grog, lets you select any voice for any gender

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Inzombiac posted:

Which is so hosed. It's not like they have to record new lines.

Just let us pick our presented gender, voice and pronoun.

They already have the assets for each possibility and, in effect, boils down to just two. Have NPCs refer you to "he" or "she". Would be cool to include "they" but I don't expect much from AAA studios.

poo poo, using gender-neutral language would have been less work and covered all bases.

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir here. I agree 100%.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
they should have left the male-female options instead of what they did

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Easy Allies video review basically said the writing and characters were mostly real good, including V actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibTW2tu3ps

yeah, everyone including the negative reviews say the writing is good. its just the main quest either doesn't tie into enough of the world and or doesn't stick landings. which to be fair neither did witcher 3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Trans/NB characters have been handled very well in many games lately :confused:

The Missing
CrossCode
Spiritfarer
Horizon
hell even Apex Legends
Even Pathfinder:Kingmaker, the groggiest grog game to ever grog, lets you select any voice for any gender

i think they mean player character.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Guys, I have some bad news.

I just heard from my uncle at CDPR. With the review embargo lifted and bug-related criticism, they're having a meeting today to delay the game another month to push for more upgrades to camera mode and adding new poses. Announcement will probably drop on Dec 9.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CottonWolf posted:

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir here. I agree 100%.

Oh, sorry, that wasn't at you, lmao.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

I was just watching the Jeff Gerstmann stream, and one example he gave was a vending machine with advertising on it that says "Buy this or gently caress off!". AS this very, kind of, low-effort attempt at social commentary. The way he put it, it just doesn't feel very creative and comes off as rehashed/tired. That worries me, because that's the kind of thing that really gets in the way for me. I couldn't get through Outer Worlds for similar reasons!

The same advertisement was posted earlier ITT and it kinda rules.

Someone even commented on how it feels directly pulled from Idiocracy.

Some people are looking for "edgy" parts of the game to then go "so edgy!" about, but IDK that poster seems cool and good.

E: Here

Lastdancer posted:

Between this and the reports of numerous burrito vending machines, I'm starting to seriously question if Mike Judge's Idiocracy was also an influence

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nvidiagfn/status/1336004705898663939?s=21

Confirms Steam Support. I know someone asked about it earlier.

Can’t wait to try this out and not have to wait for NextGen upgrades.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Zaphod42 posted:

Someone even commented on how it feels directly pulled from Idiocracy.

this was also jeff, and he did not say it as a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa

No Mods No Masters posted:

I never thought I would see someone call rich evans a good critic in this of all threads. Forums are loving wild

You're surprised goons like a guy who is unbearably smug about every single opinion he has?