Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ehhhh....I still don't like it. Relevance of the political topic aside, a lot of the writing in that episode (related specifically around the columbus half of the story) feels a lot blunter than usual.

Furio's "I hate the north" lines still rule though

Also a ton of super important things happen in that episode that I think people forget happen in THAT episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Also a ton of super important things happen in that episode that I think people forget happen in THAT episode.

Oh yeah, all the non-Columbus parts of that episode are up to snuff, it's just the Columbus parts that feel a bit clumsy.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ehhhh....I still don't like it. Relevance of the political topic aside, a lot of the writing in that episode (related specifically around the columbus half of the story) feels a lot blunter than usual.

"Reuben, Hesh. You guys have been friends for years!"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I was rewatching "Calling All Cars" the other night and gf happened to walk in on the dream sequence (Livia? I think Jerusalem's right) near the end. She was rapt. I gotta convince her to watch the rest of the show some time. When Tony woke up, I heard her say "Wow. It was just a dream."
Yeah, babe. "Just" a dream. :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m rewatching “Christopher” and I forgot about Tony greeting Johnny Sack at Karen’s funeral with “Hey, Count Chocula!”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looks like the Many Saints of Newark is scheduled for a March 12 2021 release date and will be coming to HBO Max.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/12/03/sopranos-prequel-many-other-warners-films-released-hbo-max/3814694001/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Looks like the Many Saints of Newark is scheduled for a March 12 2021 release date and will be coming to HBO Max.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/12/03/sopranos-prequel-many-other-warners-films-released-hbo-max/3814694001/

Ohhhhhh!!!!!!!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm so fuckin glad I get to watch that at home with my own quality AV setup and no noise from other movie goers

Wait a fuckin minute, that poo poo is US only? gently caress me out anyway

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ruddiger posted:

Ohhhhhh!!!!!!!

Maron!!!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

LMAO is that a young Sil?

I can't loving wait.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Got up to The Pine Barrens episode of Talkin Sopranos if anyone's interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANV17RMfqI

I know it's a huge fan favorite and I don't like it as much as most but the podcast was good. Buscemi is on it, they do a funny bit on Paulie's wings and there's a lot of cool insight on what I know is a really popular episode that's widely considered a classic.

I'm enjoying these dudes and think I have man crush on Michael Imperiolli. He just seems so smart and charming. Pet peeve though because god drat: if one of their main sponsors is Bose maybe work out the loving audio after 36 podcasts. It's better than it was but still sounds like poo poo and the volume is still too low.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if that prequel will be any good or not but I am sure it will at the least give me a lot of new Sopranos quotes to poison my brain with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm not sure if that prequel will be any good or not but I am sure it will at the least give me a lot of new Sopranos quotes to poison my brain with.

I think it's worth it alone for how much Michael Gandolfini looks like his dad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

I think it's worth it alone for how much Michael Gandolfini looks like his dad.

Hopefully he can actually act him somewhat like him and it's not gonna be a Sofia Coppola thing. I do feel bad for the kid, though. Those are massive shoes to fill.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Main thing is I hope it makes up for the Irishman.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

codo27 posted:

Main thing is I hope it makes up for the Irishman.

:(

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
https://twitter.com/jentaub/status/1336368917317623811

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s a little disturbing how much that woman reminds me of my ex-wife.

In other news, is there a greater “gently caress you” moment than Angie declaring that she bought a brand new Corvette Z06 outright with cash when Carmela is trying to show off the Porsche Cayenne (like the pepper) that Tony bought her?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Forgot all about The Saints of Newark. I guess HBO Max seems like the move but did they ever even wrap?

And The Irishman owned so I don't know WTF there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Irishman being bad was also news to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Irishman was good but I did a double-take when I realized those scenes from near the start where DeNiro meets Pesci, he was supposed to be like in his late 20s/early 30s. :stare:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s a little disturbing how much that woman reminds me of my ex-wife.

In other news, is there a greater “gently caress you” moment than Angie declaring that she bought a brand new Corvette Z06 outright with cash when Carmela is trying to show off the Porsche Cayenne (like the pepper) that Tony bought her?

There's probably a million of them but Tony throwing away AJ's cereal ("now you got nothing") was pretty great.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 8, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The Irishman was good but I did a double-take when I realized those scenes from near the start where DeNiro meets Pesci, he was supposed to be like in his late 20s/early 30s. :stare:

Such youthful vigor

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What did you guys like about it, I assume you are all terminal narcoleptics and it helped you sleep

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's such a bizarre oversight, they put all this money and effort into de-aging DeNiro with CGI and then they just pasted that on his 75 year old body and expected him to do physical acting like a 20 year old.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

What did you guys like about it, I assume you are all terminal narcoleptics and it helped you sleep

The story, the acting and the direction. I like Scorcese, Deniro and Pesci and really dug how the whole film seemed like a coda to the gngster movies of the past and showed them as old men in a dying genre. I never found it boring. It was like getting the band back together if that makes sense.

Basebf555 posted:

It's such a bizarre oversight, they put all this money and effort into de-aging DeNiro with CGI and then they just pasted that on his 75 year old body and expected him to do physical acting like a 20 year old.

Definitely agree with this though. A lot of the de-aging didn't work at all and that curb stomp was ridiculous.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BiggerBoat posted:

The story, the acting and the direction. I like Scorcese, Deniro and Pesci and really dug how the whole film seemed like a coda to the gngster movies of the past and showed them as old men in a dying genre. I never found it boring. It was like getting the band back together if that makes sense.

That's a good way of putting it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I went ahead and giffed the whole thing because goddamn do I love it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can just see the AD getting shut down for suggesting they shoot it from further away with a stunt double.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

See I love mob movies, I dont watch them all that much especially now that I've spent the last 4 years with someone who only likes garbage cinema, but I didn't get this feel from the movie at all. Its what I was looking forward to.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

See I love mob movies, I dont watch them all that much especially now that I've spent the last 4 years with someone who only likes garbage cinema, but I didn't get this feel from the movie at all. Its what I was looking forward to.

I also like Pacino and left him out of my post. I thought he delivered pretty well as Hoffa and, for a change, wasn't just entirely chewing scenery. I love mob movies too and thought The Irishman was a pretty damned good one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The whole movie wreaks of vanity. I clawed my way through The Irishman and then would constantly have to defend my position that it might have been a decent mob movie if they had used different actors. It was more absurd than when they brought back Connery to play a 53 year old James Bond.

Also Frank Sheeran was full of poo poo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BiggerBoat posted:

I also like Pacino and left him out of my post. I thought he delivered pretty well as Hoffa and, for a change, wasn't just entirely chewing scenery. I love mob movies too and thought The Irishman was a pretty damned good one.

It was very good. I loved it when I watched it last year.

Even if when I saw that beating scene I laughed my rear end off because of how it looked.

Just go watch the movie starting after Hoffa's gone and see the beauty of it, when they weren't de-aging them anymore and probably adding age with make-up. That's when its really great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

The whole movie wreaks of vanity. I clawed my way through The Irishman and then would constantly have to defend my position that it might have been a decent mob movie if they had used different actors. It was more absurd than when they brought back Connery to play a 53 year old James Bond.

Also Frank Sheeran was full of poo poo.
Diamonds and Never say Never Connery were still a hell of a lot better than A View to a Kill Moore. Dude looked like a he'd get winded on a short stroll to the cornermart, and then they pair him with a girl young enough to be his Daughter.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

codo27 posted:

I will say that it was pretty slow in the middle. It doesn't help that the story's been done several times in the last couple decades (at least the backdrop). I think what made it stand out from other mob movies was how much bleaker it was. Everyone looked like they got made up in a morgue. The killings were brief and ugly, not like Billy Batts getting stomped for being a goofus prick. Death was just there in every scene.

That said, yeah, I'm not ranking it up there with the best of them. But you do like to see all those great actors in one place.

Gaius Marius posted:

Diamonds and Never say Never Connery were still a hell of a lot better than A View to a Kill Moore. Dude looked like a he'd get winded on a short stroll to the cornermart, and then they pair him with a girl young enough to be his Daughter.

Moore had a sense of humor about that, though. His reaction every time they'd rehire him was basically "really? I thought they'd be sick of me by now". I mean, you're not going to turn down a role that nets you that much cash while getting to hang around cool sets and then you kiss the babe while your stunt triplets do all the work for you.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I have to agree that spending millions to de-age DeNiro's face but not putting it on a younger man's body was incredibly stupid. I was already bored out of my mind, and it certainly didn't help that I was watching a septuagenarian shuffling around with an oddly young head.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's not intended as a "gently caress you", but Little Carmine telling his anecdote about the mellifluous box, culminating in him telling Tony how his wife lovingly convinced him to give up his ambitions to be boss because she didn't want to end up "the wealthiest widow on Long Island" is probably the hardest Tony ever got owned

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PerilPastry posted:

It's not intended as a "gently caress you", but Little Carmine telling his anecdote about the mellifluous box, culminating in him telling Tony how his wife lovingly convinced him to give up his ambitions to be boss because she didn't want to end up "the wealthiest widow on Long Island" is probably the hardest Tony ever got owned

I've said this before but it's hilarious that out of everyone on that show Little Carmine is the one who basically won The Mafia

he ends the series safe and happy and rich. what a dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

I've said this before but it's hilarious that out of everyone on that show Little Carmine is the one who basically won The Mafia

he ends the series safe and happy and rich. what a dude

He could have ended up miserable like Tony but instead he overcame that stagmire and is now living his best life in Florida, fixing wet t-shirt contests and eating seared Ahi and mixed greens. With nine pictures under his subspecies!