Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Please help, I can't figure out what this is actually supposed to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tex Avery posted:

Carmel

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Panfilo posted:

Did they ditch the 'pill' thing when it was revealed that much of the Matrix story was an allegory for being trans or something? Because given how scared they are of 'soy' anything I'd figure they'd drop the Red Pill terminology like a hot rock if they realized it was supposed to help them be the beautiful woman they know they always were deep down.

lmao no, they argued with the trans creators of The Matrix that they were wrong in their interpretation of what they wrote.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bloop posted:

That 40k space marines meme where agents are shooting "people's essential identity is not defined by their physical form" over the head of some guy in a trenchcoat saying "wow cool guns"

Or even "the people who say being an office drone in 1999 was the pinnacle of human society and that we can not live any other way are the bad guys"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I posted this over in the Schadenfreude but I think this might fit pretty well over here too

Happy Landfill posted:

Destiny, a man known for playing minecraft online, thought he could prove that being lawyer wasn't that hard after getting in to a slap fight with an actual lawyer

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1336507792576794624?s=19

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1336523381752082432?s=19

Both threads are a pro-click

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DicktheCat posted:

He's got a swastika in his username.

Yup, didn't really pay attention to the top of the picture. Sure does make look like an idiot. I would have made a terrible detective.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inceltown posted:

lmao no, they argued with the trans creators of The Matrix that they were wrong in their interpretation of what they wrote.

This is precisely why the whole "death of the author" thing is pretty dumb.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Happy Landfill posted:

I posted this over in the Schadenfreude but I think this might fit pretty well over here too

That last burn "I would try to conjure up an insulting stereotype for your profession, but you are one." is pro as gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's not what death of the author means, death of the author means that you can interpret a work based on what is depicted in it.

Dumbledore, for example, is not gay. It never comes up, it is not part of the text, therefore harry potter does not have gay representation and dumbledore in the potter books is not gay, and he doesn't become gay because rowling said after the fact that he was, offscreen. You could write a fanfic where he was gay, because he's a character and you can do that, but he is not, as written by rowling, actually gay. He doesn't, as far as I know, have a sexuality at all in the books, it is not a component of his character. He is no more gay than anyone else in the book who is not shown having a gay relationship, which is everybody.

But that doesn't really mean that all interpretations are equally valid, to interpret a work via that method you would, just as you would with any other interpretation, be expected to back it up with the text if you want other people to take it seriously. If you can't do that, or if someone else can do it better, their interpretation will have more weight.

It's an important thing to do because people can absolutely write things they did not necessarily intend to write, if someone writes a lovely book it isn't suddenly good because they think it is good, it's lovely because the text in front of people reading it is lovely, that's death of the author, the author's intent does not change what the text is though the author likely will have a textually supported interpretation of their work, the point is that it is only one possible interpretation and not, necessarily, the most supportable one.

Authors can reveal themselves through their work more thoroughly than they might want to let on, or possibly even more clearly than they might be aware themselves, but the point doesn't even have to be about the author, you can remove the author entirely from a work and just look at what it means to someone who reads it without authorial context if you want to. Or you can use the same principle to critique an author's preferred interpretation by pointing out alternative, coherent readings.

But that still, again, requires you to be good at it if you want other people to agree with you.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Dec 9, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

That last burn "I would try to conjure up an insulting stereotype for your profession, but you are one." is pro as gently caress

It's so, so good. It's the cherry on top of the cake that is, "twitch streamer tries to take the practice LSAT live in front of an audience to prove it's not that hard and barely makes it past the first question"

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That twitch streamer loves to drop the N word and defend Kyle Rittenhouse and tried to host a superspreader event with Atlanta YDSA during finals week and when he was turned down for all the obvious reasons, threw a giant tantrum, pissed off a good 1/3 of twitter and his fans tried to troll a bunch of experienced internet veterans and it was a very entertaining few hours.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

OwlFancier posted:

the way journalists call every possibly political event "something-gate"

Holy poo poo, I hate this so much.

And I know I'll hate it for the rest of my life, because it'll never stop.

Edit: holy poo poo, this twitch rear end in a top hat is insane.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Dec 10, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tex Avery posted:

"Eat More M&M's"

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

He was an annoying starcraft 2 semi-pro with a bad community and a style that relied on a single overpowered caster back in 2011 too!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, I hate this so much.

And I know I'll hate it for the rest of my life, because it'll never stop.

Edit: holy poo poo, this twitch rear end in a top hat is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB9JgxhXW5w

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

It initially stemmed from them all watching the matrix and apparently entirely missing the point and substituting it with "the pill that makes you wake up and see the true nature of the world is called racism"

And then they extend the "pill" metaphor to describe every possible outlook on the world the way journalists call every possibly political event "something-gate"

If i remember right, the original "redpill" was from MRA communities and was about misogyny rather than racism, i think it was basically accepting the belief: "feminism is responsible for everything i dont like!" Then you could see that every system was twisted to explicitly benefit women, womens suffrage ruined politics, etc etc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ixtlilton posted:

He was an annoying starcraft 2 semi-pro with a bad community and a style that relied on a single overpowered caster back in 2011 too!

Who was the caster?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Something red pillers actually say is that "a man is a key and a woman is a lock. A key that opens lots of locks is a master key, a lock that is opened by lots of keys is a broken lock".

It's hosed as hell lol

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

What do they think they're unlocking with their dicks, lol?

Every misogynistic metaphor of that sort is always the dumbest poo poo. Let's see if I can make one up offhand that's just as faulty. Oh! Usb sticks fit in a slot! Here's mine:

"A man is like a thumb drive, useful for holding information, but a woman's the one powerful enough to use it!"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
That one doesn't work because it implies women have any power or worth

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The penis is the USB drive and the vagina is the thing the USB drive goes into. The port?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Something red pillers actually say is that "a man is a key and a woman is a lock. A key that opens lots of locks is a master key, a lock that is opened by lots of keys is a broken lock".

It's hosed as hell lol

After watching lockpickinglawyer videos a bunch, I'd say a broken lock is going to be a far better lock than a master lock

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If i remember right, the original "redpill" was from MRA communities and was about misogyny rather than racism, i think it was basically accepting the belief: "feminism is responsible for everything i dont like!" Then you could see that every system was twisted to explicitly benefit women, womens suffrage ruined politics, etc etc

Ah yes clearly minorities have gamed the system to ruin everything because

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

It's hosed as hell lol

There's also really no way to argue against it since it starts from the a priori idea that a woman's purpose is to be a sex object for a single man.

Everyone who uses that line as an argument seems to think it's so profound when all they did was take their misogyny and try to twist it into an aphorism.

Though that's a lot of words for "gently caress the people who say that."

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

That one doesn't work because it implies women have any power or worth

It's a bit :thejoke: but I was trying to say something just as stupid, but flipped.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just let people gently caress.

Goddamn nerds.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Speaking of loving, this dude definitely fucks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anyone who recognizes the utility of the oxford comma is starting off on the right foot IMO.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Anyone who recognizes the utility of the oxford comma is starting off on the right foot IMO.

:golfclap:

I appreciated this.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oxford comma references are “teh epic bacon lulz” for people who buy books and never read them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I must have this shirt. The Oxford comma has nothing to do with it--I'm tired of correcting poo poo like "It's good to see you though."

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hirayuki posted:

I must have this shirt. The Oxford comma has nothing to do with it--I'm tired of correcting poo poo like "It's good to see you though."

That's an accurate representation of how people actually say it. People rarely put a pause in that sentence.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hirayuki posted:

It's, good, to, see, you, though,

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He looks like he's Ken Marino's dipshit son

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hirayuki posted:

You’re in luck because you can buy yourself some official Chicago Manual of Style merch straight from the publisher

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Inceltown posted:

It's, good, to, see, you, though,
It's good to see. You, though...

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Knormal posted:

It's good to see. You, though...

It’s nice to see you, to see you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Princess I'm going to another castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Debated between here and IOSM, but it's definitely AUG.