Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rookersh posted:

Wait.

The society where if you arent born with magic you arent a citizen. Where if you are born without magic you have no rights, and can be enslaved, murdered, blood magic batteried, raped, or worse with zero repercussions unless you have a Mage patron who will defend you.

The society where even being a Mage isnt enough, and Mages with limited talent are killed, or have the magical power ripped from their body to fuel more powerful Mages spells, killing them extremely painfully.

The society where "demons and abominations run freely", only held back by the fact if they cross a more powerful magister they'll be destroyed. But otherwise can kill and maim as they wish to the aforementioned non citizens.

The society built around constantly killing each other with magic, constant power struggles, and constantly purging the nonMages/slaves for more blood/power.

This is the place you point at for "magic done right"?

I think the most stable mage we've seen in the game was the Avvar guy in Jaws of Hakkon who was just completely OK with the spirits. And even he was weird as gently caress and their system still resulted in the outcast who was afraid to go on without her helper spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

In previous editions of this debate, the traditional retort is "that's just Chantry propaganda." And if we put aside what we see Tevinter slavers willing to do casually in Origins, even Tevinter homeboy Dorian admits that this stuff happens, just behind closed doors. The Chantry propaganda part is mostly just saying its public, but in actual fact the rules of society say you can't just do that out in the open.

I think it says something about what happens behind those closed doors that people are willing to throw everything away, even their identity and sense of self, to join the Qun rather than remain a slave in Tevinter.

Yeah like I'm not the faschy dude who thinks Templar atrocities are right or anything. But gently caress man Tevinter is just the Mage problem in reverse. Rather then a few Mages being oppressed to protect the many, it's the many being oppressed to benefit a few Mages.

If people want a fairytale, I'm not going to complain. I get it. Games are an escapism for many, and the last thing you want is to make a 3 game choice like free the Mages and have it blow up on your face. Just don't play the card that it was the smart move because Bioware bent over backwards and rewrote the epilogue to add the "perfect" escapism ending for it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I do hope DA4 explains what the gently caress the black city is. Cory said it was already black when they got there

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

VostokProgram posted:

I do hope DA4 explains what the gently caress the black city is. Cory said it was already black when they got there

I thought we learned it was Arlathan in Tresspasser.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

One of the spectrum is to reform the Circle and Templar Order, but there's no guarantee people in the system will use the dangers of Magic to erode Mage rights and we're back to the same system that brought about the Mage/Templar War in the first place

The other end is letting Mages self-govern, but that also runs the risk of Blood Mages taking over and you get another Tevinter

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

It's why Vivienne actually ends up being the best Divine for the mage issue, actually- she's actually not as conservative as she likes to pretend to be (the real reactionary in the party is Cassandra). Vivienne's Circle remains a branch of the Chantry, but mostly as a legitimizing force for what looks very much looks like self-government. The Circle ending up looking something like the Colleges of Magic from Warhammer Fantasy is probably the best way for them to go, and that's basically what happens from what I remember from the slides

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I went with Murder Pope because none of my characters believed in the Chantry so let's burn this fucker to the ground.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, MurderPope is absolutely the most fun ending and the best one for all other people the Chantry has been loving over

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
murderpope leliana is wonderful because she institutes progressive and humane reforms and makes them permanent with a river of blood

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Circle ending up looking something like the Colleges of Magic from Warhammer Fantasy is probably the best way for them to go, and that's basically what happens from what I remember from the slides

I want to say at the end of Trespasser things end up with two Mage Colleges; the College of Enchanters made by Fiona and the Mage Rebellion and one lead by Vivienne

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pattonesque posted:

murderpope leliana is wonderful because she institutes progressive and humane reforms and makes them permanent with a river of blood

Blood magic at the highest levels of the Chantry!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Wait.

The society where if you arent born with magic you arent a citizen. Where if you are born without magic you have no rights, and can be enslaved, murdered, blood magic batteried, raped, or worse with zero repercussions unless you have a Mage patron who will defend you.

The society where even being a Mage isnt enough, and Mages with limited talent are killed, or have the magical power ripped from their body to fuel more powerful Mages spells, killing them extremely painfully.

The society where "demons and abominations run freely", only held back by the fact if they cross a more powerful magister they'll be destroyed. But otherwise can kill and maim as they wish to the aforementioned non citizens.

The society built around constantly killing each other with magic, constant power struggles, and constantly purging the nonMages/slaves for more blood/power.

This is the place you point at for "magic done right"?

Yeah the society that has existed for thousands of years and has at various points conquered the majority of the known world in spite of heavily using blood magic and demon summoning. The key words in my post were "successful and stable". The point you made was that it only takes a single weak point in a Mage organization to bring down the entire thing, but the Imperium clearly debunks that idea because they indulge in the kinds of acts you claim causes immediate collapse and have existed for 2000 years. If a single weak apprentice could cause such a large issue there's no way the Imperium could exist as it has.

I wasn't saying that it was magic done right so not sure why you quoted that. What I was saying is that it is clearly possible to have a functional society with the supposedly destructive and corrupting aspects of magic widely practiced. Perhaps because instead of repressing and fearing those aspects, Tevinter learned how to manage and control them in a way that doesn't threaten the overall whole. Which seems to be the main theme with the whole Mage plotline, that the fear and ignorance of magic is what actually causes 95% of the problems around it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Yeah the society that has existed for thousands of years and has at various points conquered the majority of the known world in spite of heavily using blood magic and demon summoning. The key words in my post were "successful and stable". The point you made was that it only takes a single weak point in a Mage organization to bring down the entire thing, but the Imperium clearly debunks that idea because they indulge in the kinds of acts you claim causes immediate collapse and have existed for 2000 years. If a single weak apprentice could cause such a large issue there's no way the Imperium could exist as it has.

Most people think that being humane and moral is a big part of being a "successful society," so Tevinter's out of the running.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Eimi posted:

I thought we learned it was Arlathan in Tresspasser.

Oh. Then I guess the maker is definitely not real

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

aegof posted:

Most people think that being humane and moral is a big part of being a "successful society," so Tevinter's out of the running.

I don't think most people think this, tbh. Tons of people think the US has been successful, or that the UK has, or that the Roman Empire was and "humane and moral" can't be used to describe any of them. Tevinter has been wildly successful and cruel.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

I don't think most people think this, tbh. Tons of people think the US has been successful, or that the UK has, or that the Roman Empire was and "humane and moral" can't be used to describe any of them. Tevinter has been wildly successful and cruel.

I also wouldn't call Tevinter a successful state.

It's a twice failed Empire that's largely become post collapse Rome. Starvation is common, infrastructure is failing, crime runs rampant. It exists entirely off the back of slave/mercenary armies which are paid for off the money the Magisters make off Enchantment/old wealth.

12ish people having all a nations wealth, and only allowing it to trickle into others of their house, while in constant war with each other is not a "successful" state. Hell only a few magisters are even willing to work together against the Qunari which are slowly but surely conquering Tevinter.

And like har har America is also an oligarchy, but America at least pretends and there is wealth/growth/classes still. It's not "we'd literally rather convert to the Qun then live in this failed state.".

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

If the DA4 thing at tonight's Game Awards is just another cinematic teaser trailer, then there's no hope for it

I don't think there's any hope for this

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
They just had "world premiere" DA4 stuff at the game awards...with no gameplay. After 6 years if you've got no gameplay to show, that's pretty dire. Goddamnit, Bioware.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
no gameplay lmao

this game is not real. it does not exist

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I mean...

Tevinter looks kinda neat?

Like fantasy cyberpunk with the magical neon signs????

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/eplerjc/status/1337197064514498564

lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7x685DxMcw
This basically confirms my worst fears. Bringing back Varic, still in Frostbyte, no gameplay (but I'm assuming it's largely unchanged and that's a bad thing), the aesthetic is all wrong. Tevintir is too high fantasy for the rest of the world, the floaty stuff belongs in the Fade.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7x685DxMcw

aesthetic seems cool but no real information!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
did they even announce a name?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

No wonder Dorian thinks southern Thedas is full of yokels

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I mean...

Yeah, this could either be refreshing and fun, especially with lots of characters from Tevinter, Nevarra and Antiva being a welcome break from the Fereldan dog-lords and Orlais being Orlais...
Or a super cheesy, hamfisted magic-is-technology cyberpunk edgelord romp that only nerds find sexy.
There will be a romanceable bisexual disaster companion who will be an Antivan Crow who is also an apostate orphan of escaped Tevinter slaves, one of which was an elf.

Surely BioWare will find a balance between extremes, being masters of grey areas after all.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I mean...

It’s not terrible and it would have gotten me interested in what the game is back in 2018.

But it being nothing more then a cinematic trailer now is just one more sign the development is not going well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I know I'm gonna play it whether it's good or bad so I hope it ends up being good.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

based on that teaser it feels like the game is still like 2+ years out.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ginette Reno posted:

I know I'm gonna play it whether it's good or bad so I hope it ends up being good.

I wish this wasn’t true, but honestly same.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Same.

Fuckin' Frostbite, though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For some reason still holding on hope because some Dragon Age is better than none? Maybe?

The trailer pretty much deflated me though. I didn't think you'd play as the Inquisitior but Varic being all, "No special heroes here, just you - a regular jamoke," sort of detracts from the Bioware classic you're the chosen one, etc.

Makes me think its going to be like a lower case (m) - MMO.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Harlock posted:

For some reason still holding on hope because some Dragon Age is better than none? Maybe?

The trailer pretty much deflated me though. I didn't think you'd play as the Inquisitior but Varic being all, "No special heroes here, just you - a regular jamoke," sort of detracts from the Bioware classic you're the chosen one, etc.

Makes me think its going to be like a lower case (m) - MMO.

eh you're just a regular jamoke who becomes someone special in DAO

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Dragon Age Inquisition was a single player mmo and I so don't want another one of those. Also just bringing back Varic is a red flag of "poo poo better put someone popular in"

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Isn't Varric Viscount of Kirkwall?

Maybe he's your point-man for the Inquisition's operation in Tevinter?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Isn't Varric Viscount of Kirkwall?

Maybe he's your point-man for the Inquisition's operation in Tevinter?

If they limit him to just that it wouldn't trigger me as much. If he's a party member or like Leliana/Cullen/Josephine...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's wrong with Varic? He's cool

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

What's wrong with Varic? He's cool

I like him! A lot even! I just think he can easily be overused. Inquisition just felt wrong having Varic without his best friend Hawke.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
How does one even reach peak Varric rivalry in DA2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

How does one even reach peak Varric rivalry in DA2?

Whoever did that needs to reveal themselves so they can be publicly shamed.