Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Ovi needs 189 more goals to become the NHL's most prolific scorer in forever.

Gretzky: 1487 NHL games played/894 goals

Ovehckin: 1152 NHL games played/706 goals

Jaromir Jagr is now a believer that the Great 8 will overtake the Great One, conditionally, at least.

And if Ovechkin does set the mark, will you consider him the greatest goal scorer in history based on sheer numbers alone, or is there an argument still to be made for Gretzky?

CocoaNuts fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He's at least got a shot at it, depending on how long seasons will be allowed to be and obviously how his health holds up.

Ovi's for drat sure the best goal scorer in a long time, but I feel like comparing him to Gretzky is always going to be a little awkward because the game has changed so much between their respective times.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Pre-COVID, I thought Ovechkin had a much better shot than I did a year earlier. It took him putting up ~50 goal seasons as a 32-34 year old for me to believe he has a shot. But, how likely is it that he continues this pace? I don't have access to Play Index anymore, but I remember looking it up, and the only person older than Ovie to put up a 50-goal season was Bucyk (who did it on one of the highest scoring teams of all-time). 189 is a pretty large number to catch up to, and it would take a combination of normal seasons returning, healthy play, him to play he is older, and to keep up a steady decline. Is it doable? Well, if anyone will, it's Ovie. But, will he? Probably not.

Is he the greatest goal scorer of all-time? I am unsure, but he probably has to be at this point. Although, some old-timer is going to come in and yell about Mike Bossy or Pavel Bure.

We are blessed that we have got to enjoy Ovechkin's career. We were robbed of some of Crosby's best seasons because of injury. I am hoping McDavid can stay healthy.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

He will come close but I don't think he'll be able to beat Gretzer on this record.
Same on the record for amount of times willingly used in propaganda for his home country's right-wing head of state.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

To expand this thread a little bit, I have been interested in thinking where Ovechkin and Crosby will end up with their career totals.

Crosby is already 39th in points. Ovechkin is 36th. They are at the point where another 2 good, healthy seasons could see them in the top-20.

It will also be interesting to see where people consider them in an all-time sense. Crosby has a really good shot at being considered the best player after the top-4 of Gretzky, Orr, Howe, and Lemieux. Ovechkin is a little harder to place. He'll probably be in the top-20, but I am unsure how much higher he can get.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If he is willing to play as long as Jagr did and just kinda be a shell of his former self for 5-7 years to scrap by, I see it as very possible. I never realized he was that close (but 200 goals isn't really that close.)

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Sid the Kid (not as much of a kid anymore at age 33, not by hockey standards anyway) has 1,263 career points in 984 games, for an average of 1.28 points per game.

Ovechkin, even older at 35, has 1,278 career points in 1,152 games, for an average of 1.1 points per game.

Lemieux wound up with 1,723 points in 915 games, for 1.88 points per game.

Gretzky finished his career with 2,857 points in 1,487 NHL games, for an average of 1.92 points per game.

Yeah, different eras. But I have a hard time believing that either Crosby or Ovechkin could rack up the same points per game rate even if they played during the same decades as Gretzky and Lemieux.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

what if they played on the same teams as gretzky and lemieux though? i bet they could do it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He won't and it's unlikely he scores even the 97 needed to move him to 2nd all time. He's 35 and facing yet another shortened season. That's three more 30 goal seasons minimum, the first of which (presumably his most productive) will likely be 48 games max. He'd be one of only a small handful of guys to have 30 goals after age 35 and he'd still be 92 short of Gretzky so he'd have to do it three more times. Realistically he'd have to be a star level producer until his age 42 season and only 18 guys have even made it that far and essentially none of them provided any meaningful offence.

If he'd been a few days older and hadn't lived through a lockout and soon to be three shortened seasons he might have had a shot but fate intervened. It's a nice thought but there's no way Ovie even approaches Wayne's record.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 28, 2020

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I thought he would before COVID shortened last season and this one. Even if the NHL gets 60 games there's still a chance that Ovie misses some if he contracts it and goes on a COVID list or whatever
He's also been extremely lucky with his health so far and it seems unlikely that will last as he gets older. Even Lidstrom started missing games as he got older and he hardly played a bruising style

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I would've considered him a lock for it if not for last season and the forthcoming one being shortened by COVID. If he scores 34 next year, that still leaves him 165 goals short and 36 years old. He'd probably have to play 7 or 8 more years to surpass Gretzky, and while he certainly could, I'm not sure that he would have any desire to play into his mid-40's.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He has been bizarrely healthy throughout his career, but at his age he's likely one serious shoulder injury away from being entirely ineffective.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The NHL doesn't use WADA, you're a long vacation in Eastern Europe away from rehabbing anything.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CocoaNuts posted:

And if Ovechkin does set the mark, will you consider him the greatest goal scorer in history based on sheer numbers alone, or is there an argument still to be made for Gretzky?

I doubt he will reach #1 in these two categories. Current top ten in GC and GC/A:

code:
Player		Years	Goals Created
Wayne Gretzky	1979-99	1018.37
Gordie Howe	1946-80	747.01
Jaromir Jagr	1990-18	717.53
Mark Messier	1979-04	703.78
Marcel Dionne	1971-89	684.08
Steve Yzerman	1983-06	665.79
Mario Lemieux	1984-06	649.71
Ron Francis	1981-04	634.65
Phil Esposito	1963-81	629.66
Joe Sakic	1988-09	611.28

Player		Years	Adjusted Goals Created
Wayne Gretzky	1979-99	881.74
Gordie Howe	1946-80	849.56
Jaromir Jagr	1990-18	796.62
Mark Messier	1979-04	643.63
Joe Sakic	1988-09	633.27
Teemu Selanne	1992-14	628.91
Steve Yzerman	1983-06	625.66
Ron Francis	1981-04	607.89
Alex Ovechkin	2005-20	604.38
Phil Esposito	1963-81	594.26
GC = (Goals + (Assists * 0.5)) * (Team Goals / (Team Goals + (Team Assists * 0.5)))

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Who cares about assists? What are you Adam Oates? Ovechkin score goals

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Duck Rodgers posted:

Reminded me of...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CocoaNuts posted:

Sid the Kid (not as much of a kid anymore at age 33, not by hockey standards anyway) has 1,263 career points in 984 games, for an average of 1.28 points per game.

Ovechkin, even older at 35, has 1,278 career points in 1,152 games, for an average of 1.1 points per game.

Lemieux wound up with 1,723 points in 915 games, for 1.88 points per game.

Gretzky finished his career with 2,857 points in 1,487 NHL games, for an average of 1.92 points per game.

Yeah, different eras. But I have a hard time believing that either Crosby or Ovechkin could rack up the same points per game rate even if they played during the same decades as Gretzky and Lemieux.

All this makes me do is wish Lemieux had been able to play even close to as many games as Gretzky.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Duck Rodgers posted:

What do you mean? I find it at least noteworthy that Wayne Gretzky has 700+ more assists than anyone else.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Zogo posted:

What do you mean? I find it at least noteworthy that Wayne Gretzky has 700+ more assists than anyone else.

Gretzky is a nerd who wears a scarf while watching another guy shoot hole-in-ones. Ovechkin shoots hole-in-ones himself. That's what makes Ovechking the best goal scorer

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Yes he will OP

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I think he does it

Duck Rodgers posted:

Whoa whoa slow down, there's no reason to accuse people of being Adam Oates irl. Lets all pump the brakes here

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Moving up that ladder...

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1357514854706384898

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dont know

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think he catches Howe (801) but that's it

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Feels more and more like it's within reach.

https://twitter.com/OvechkinGoal/status/1501429635724111873

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

He drat near had it at the end

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hope he scores 100 more empty netters too

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
In the seasons that haven't been eliminated/shortened by lockout/Covid, Ovechkin has averaged 48 goals. If those seasons would have happened as intended (04/05, 12/13, 19/20, 20/21), Ovechkin would have gone into this season with 816 goals. If we assume he would have scored less in his rookie year, lets round down to 800. Add the 36 for this season, that's 836.

He should have been well on his way to passing Wayne and on to 1000 goals. I figure all those ENs make up for all the games he missed through no fault of his own.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Decided to have some fun with this and made some graphs. You can see how Gretzky started to decline in his later years but Ovechkin has been incredibly consistent.

Ovechkin needs 114 more goals to tie Gretzky's record. If he remains consistent, I predict he'll get to 894 in the next 194 games. He'll get to 894 faster than Gretzky too, by 19 games.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I think Ovi is already the greatest goal scorer in the history of the game, even if he doesn't score another goal in the NHL. He hasn't had the same stacked teams and lovely goalie era that Gretzky had. Ovi has had to do it with videos and videos of people studying his game trying to shut him down, and they haven't been able to.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ovi will be 37 by the first game of the season. He's been incredibly consistent so far but one day his decline will happen and I imagine it will be quick and significant. 114 goals is no small feat in any 4-5 year stretch, let alone aged 37+. It's basically 3 40 goal seasons (technically 38 but I'm giving some leeway for injuries and even then only a little). Anything after that is almost assuredly going to be garbage time seasons where his output will be sub 20 goals.

The only guys to have scored 40 goals aged 37+ is Johnny Bucyk who did it in his age 37 season and Gordie Howe aged 40. Bucyk scored 161 goals over his final 5 years of his career retiring at 42 and is the highest scoring late career NHLer. Howe, Ratelle and Selanne stuck around for a long while and bettered 114 goals after age 37 but it took them 5+ years to do so. I am coming around on the idea of Ovechkin getting there if he stick around for another 5-7 years but it's still exceedingly unlikely to be a quick accomplishment over the next few years and I'd say nigh on impossible for him to reach 894 faster than Gretzky did.

Realistically, if he betters Wayne it'll be aged 41-42 when he's putting up 7-12 goals a year. If he does it it'll be entirely because he and the Capitals agreed to let him stick around just to do it. It's not going to be an accomplishment of a top of their game star but a shadow of his former self Ovi slogging to the finish line.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 27, 2022

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
That's fun.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

2 years ago in this thread, I said he probably won't pass Gretzky. However, he has followed it up with two great goal-scoring seasons, even becoming the oldest player to hit 50.

This season will be telling. If he hits 40-50 again (which, as ThinkTank pointed out, is a feat for someone his age), he will then be ~60-70 away, which feels so close in reach. At this point, I have learned to not bet against Ovechkin.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think Washington is already fully invested in getting him the record so they’ll play him 20 minutes a game and the full 2 minutes of power plays as long as he is physically able to, even if it starts hurting the team.

He already plays a defense-optional game and he’s already toned down the hitting, so I imagine he’ll play out his current contract (4 more years) and then do 1 year deals until he gets the record. Of course he might get injured but he’ll do his best to reduce his exposure.

The team is going to be poo poo in a few years anyways so they’ll need a way to get asses in the seats. Ovechkin chasing the record will be that ticket.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Lot of talk about Ovi beating his goals record but silence on Crosby & Malkins combined point totals passing Gretzkys this upcoming season?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

meanwhile Austin Matthews beat a Gretzky's point record in his first game :cool:

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Ovie just hit the 800 mark tonight. One goal away from tying Gordie Howe's career mark.

94 away from reaching Gretzky.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Now include Gordie's WHA stats

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AsInHowe posted:

Now include Gordie's WHA stats

975 goals would be in reach for Ovechkin if he plays until his 50's, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

He won't and it's unlikely he scores even the 97 needed to move him to 2nd all time

As always I am absolutely spot on every single time.