Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It’s making me think of that Eric stoltz movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Back to the Future?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Buzz Lightyear is named after 'Buzz' Aldrin, second man on the moon, so at least there's precedent?

Still a weird choice, but maybe they wanted to make an astronaut movie and slapped a familiar name on it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedrigall posted:

I’m into all the space stuff but buzz’s big dumb rubbery chin on what’s supposed to be a real human is so offputting
Your continued campaign of hate against the memory of Robert Z'dar is sickening

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/coTI1yN.mp4

Wolfwalkers is an incredibly beautiful movie, and a great champion for hand drawn animation.
The ending feels bitter sweet though, since humans did eventually colonise and hunted the wolf to exctinction on the british isles.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

r u ready to WALK posted:

Wolfwalkers is an incredibly beautiful movie, and a great champion for hand drawn animation.
The ending feels bitter sweet though, since humans did eventually colonise and hunted the wolf to exctinction on the british isles.

Ooh I've been looking forward to this one. I need to watch the Secret of Kells too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

It absolutely rocks and everyone in this thread should check it out. Seriously, pause it at any point and every frame is just stunning.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hedrigall posted:

Tales of the City but in Zootopia

Sitting here sipping my coffee, thinking about my disbelief and disappointment that you didn't go with Tails of the City

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boxman posted:

Sitting here sipping my coffee, thinking about my disbelief and disappointment that you didn't go with Tails of the City

.....gently caress, gently caress, you're right. You're absolutely right.

They hosed up hard on this one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Watching Mickey's Christmas Carol on D+ and, uh, Disney really just shat it through the Upscale Filter and called it a day, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given how Disney traditionally loves to leave its back catalogue sitting in the vault til they feel like a fancy rerelease once in a blue moon, it's not too surprising that since Disney+ is such a radical shift from their business model, and likely a very reluctant one, they keep loving it up.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The lightyear movie must end with stinky pete trying to sabatoge the mission, cut off the oxygen, destroy the rocket on the launchpad, something like that. It is the only way I will not demand my money back, my family's money back, their family's money back, and so on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FunkyAl posted:

The lightyear movie must end with stinky pete trying to sabatoge the mission, cut off the oxygen, destroy the rocket on the launchpad, something like that. It is the only way I will not demand my money back, my family's money back, their family's money back, and so on.

I assume that he does run into evil Emperor Zerg, his father

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Pick posted:

I assume that he does run into evil Emperor Zerg, his father

He either has an evil kingdom in space, or is part of the russian space program.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

So, like, is Onward worth watching? Or should I just watch Kitbull 10 times in a row?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fartington Butts posted:

So, like, is Onward worth watching? Or should I just watch Kitbull 10 times in a row?

Yeah, it's worth a watch. It's not my favorite movie ever, but I had fun with it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given how Disney traditionally loves to leave its back catalogue sitting in the vault til they feel like a fancy rerelease once in a blue moon, it's not too surprising that since Disney+ is such a radical shift from their business model, and likely a very reluctant one, they keep loving it up.

Here's something I don't get: why do they do this? Is the money they make out of the occasional release worth letting their catalogue gather dust in their famous vault, compared to the money they would make setting up a decent streaming service?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, it's worth a watch. It's not my favorite movie ever, but I had fun with it.

By the way, thanks for linking Right Now Kapow, taken from us too soon, that show is incredible

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Boxman posted:

I was just hoping somebody would know the books I was talking about :smith:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

paradoxGentleman posted:

Here's something I don't get: why do they do this? Is the money they make out of the occasional release worth letting their catalogue gather dust in their famous vault, compared to the money they would make setting up a decent streaming service?

The idea was to hype the releases as events into themselves (and create artificial scarcity), boosting demand. It's probably an artifact of how Disney (and the industry at large) operated for a long time, periodically re-releasing their animated features into theaters; Snow White got 7 re-releases before the VHS came out. When the Disney Vault was invented, I think it just sort of became part of the company's thing. The fact that Pixar movies have always been continuously available, even after acquisition by The Mouse, suggests the financial reasoning wasn't that important to them.

Obviously they eventually decided a streaming service was the right thing to do with their insane catalog. A quick Best Buy search shows all the Renaissance movies are available on blu-ray, which suggests they've quietly retired the vault policy. Wikipedia says nothing has been vaulted since August 2019.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boxman posted:

The idea was to hype the releases as events into themselves (and create artificial scarcity), boosting demand. It's probably an artifact of how Disney (and the industry at large) operated for a long time, periodically re-releasing their animated features into theaters; Snow White got 7 re-releases before the VHS came out.
It makes sense to have the old hits as standbys when, like, The Great Mouse Detective tanks. You can just say "well that was a dud, but don't forget that Bambi is in limited exclusive release this summer!"

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some contracts and legal poo poo in there too, like "once the film is out of theatres for 10 years then X dollars go to Y"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Small nitpick, but The Great Mouse Detective was considered an unexpected success and was better received at the box-office than anticipated, thus encouraged Disney wrt: its animation department.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's because the furry fandom was in high gear with respect to anthro-rodentia in the 80s. Chip & Dale, GMD, The Rescuers, Feivel.. some real sick poo poo driving that Box Office

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pick posted:

Small nitpick, but The Great Mouse Detective was considered an unexpected success and was better received at the box-office than anticipated, thus encouraged Disney wrt: its animation department.
I rewatched that like a year ago expecting good things, but I remember the plot just going off the deep end in the last half of the film. I guess I was hoping for a Sherlock Holmes/mystery movie-style "the audience can solve it if they pay attention to the clues" plot and it devolved into silly nonsense.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

That's because the furry fandom was in high gear with respect to anthro-rodentia in the 80s. Chip & Dale, GMD, The Rescuers, Feivel.. some real sick poo poo driving that Box Office

never not post furry slash disney pin

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tim Curry is this generation's Vincent Price.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

By the way, thanks for linking Right Now Kapow, taken from us too soon, that show is incredible

I recently went back and watched every episode, they're solid gold from start to finish.

Sometimes something can be really good and still fail....

Pick posted:

.....and sometimes something can be really good and succeed! The Great Mouse Detective is a quality film.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
When it comes to rodent themed movie villains John Cleese’s cat villain Cat R Waul in Fievel Goes West is right up there with Ratigan

https://youtu.be/X4l860deOjo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boxman posted:

The idea was to hype the releases as events into themselves (and create artificial scarcity), boosting demand. It's probably an artifact of how Disney (and the industry at large) operated for a long time, periodically re-releasing their animated features into theaters; Snow White got 7 re-releases before the VHS came out. When the Disney Vault was invented, I think it just sort of became part of the company's thing. The fact that Pixar movies have always been continuously available, even after acquisition by The Mouse, suggests the financial reasoning wasn't that important to them.

Obviously they eventually decided a streaming service was the right thing to do with their insane catalog. A quick Best Buy search shows all the Renaissance movies are available on blu-ray, which suggests they've quietly retired the vault policy. Wikipedia says nothing has been vaulted since August 2019.

Disney apparently has some weird but effective scheduling voodoo, the Gravity Falls people talked about how Disney had them release a drip-feed of episodes basically at random when they already had the series completed, but apparently it does work for maximum engagement, one episode they negotiated to be released earlier didn't live up to metric. I presume Cartoon Network's pants-on-head scheduling of Steven Universe is an inept attempt to emulate this.

But that whole business model no longer works. Consumers have control over what they watch and when, and if they aren't given it, they'll take it into their own hands with piracy. The video game industry learned this lesson a long time ago, somewhat forcibly and likely bouyed by the other benefits of having reliably online infrastructure for patches and such. And given streaming services live and die on actually having a broad and reliable range of content appealing to a variety of demographics and tastes, there's no benefit to Disney being stingy with it. Though I imagine this is a headache for Disney's management being used to doing things their way.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I presume Cartoon Network's pants-on-head scheduling of Steven Universe is an inept attempt to emulate this.
SU's weird scheduling was a result of a "Steven Bomb", where a few S1 episodes with plot/thematic importance were hyped up and scheduled together in a 5 day block.

It was basically the cap to S1 and also revealed that everyone already knows this but Garnet was a fusion of two gems in a very coded relationship so it was the twee animation equivalent of when Fox Kids did a week of the drat original Green Power Ranger saga.

CN decided "wow, if we just release them in chunks it'll be a blockbuster" instead of 'wow, people really responded to the long-form plot reveals!'

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m watching An All Dogs Christmas Carol because I love a) Christmas b) talking animals and c) trash

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m not sure if I will follow this up with a) Wolfwalkers or b) Alpha and Omega 2: A Howl-iday Adventure

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hedrigall posted:

I’m not sure if I will follow this up with a) Wolfwalkers or b) Alpha and Omega 2: A Howl-iday Adventure

The Grey

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
there was a presumably terrible white fang cartoon i loved as a kid, did they ever do a christmas special

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

If you want a good dog Christmas movie/special just watch Oliver the other reindeer :colbert:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

perepelki posted:

there was a presumably terrible white fang cartoon i loved as a kid, did they ever do a christmas special

Are you referring to The Legend of White Fang? I don't think it had a Christmas episode, but that would require it to be available online in any capacity, and I think there's only a handful of VHS rips on YouTube.

If you want some good, schmaltzy CanCon, go and watch The Nutcracker Prince, featuring a half-asleep Kiefer Sutherland

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I googled if Road Rovers ever had a Christmas special. It didn't, but man, it borders on a fan fiction sub-genre.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I googled if Road Rovers ever had a Christmas special. It didn't, but man, it borders on a fan fiction sub-genre.

I just remembered that Hunter from Road Rovers was voiced by Jess Harnell from Animaniacs...and Colleen was Tress MacNeille.

I don't think Rob Paulsen was in it anywhere.

Jess voicing a more serious character than Wakko is weird to me now that I realize it...but I do miss the show.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Gargamelsh/status/1338602682336997376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

To be fair Barkley 2 apparently had such development creep that it might haev had almost everything.