Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

My child’s god given right to Go To Cal shall not be infringed
were you Becky from Full House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

pyrrhotech 9 minutes ago [–]

I felt like that until I got to around $2.5 million liquid net worth. Now I still like money, but each additional dollar is starting to show diminishing marginal utility. Though of course I'm still trying to grow my net worth, it's no longer the main focus of my life, especially now that I'm "retired" from my main career at least. I split my time between gaming, running, reading, socializing and working on my trading bot (got rich the old fashioned way of saving my salary, the bot is for fun and to grow hopefully faster than SPX with better Sharpe ratio, so far so good).

I think while you don't have "FU money" it's important for money to be the main focus of your life. You don't have freedom if you don't have a lot of money and you can't be 100% happy without freedom, at least in my experience, though I know opinions vary here.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

were you Becky from Full House?

Hey now, didn’t she want her kids in entertainment aka USC?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

pyrrhotech 9 minutes ago [–]

I felt like that until I got to around $2.5 million liquid net worth. Now I still like money, but each additional dollar is starting to show diminishing marginal utility. Though of course I'm still trying to grow my net worth, it's no longer the main focus of my life, especially now that I'm "retired" from my main career at least. I split my time between gaming, running, reading, socializing and working on my trading bot (got rich the old fashioned way of saving my salary, the bot is for fun and to grow hopefully faster than SPX with better Sharpe ratio, so far so good).

I think while you don't have "FU money" it's important for money to be the main focus of your life. You don't have freedom if you don't have a lot of money and you can't be 100% happy without freedom, at least in my experience, though I know opinions vary here.

“Saving my salary” is an interesting way of framing that...

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

“Saving my salary” is an interesting way of framing that...

He got 400k / yr in RSUs and saved it just like a hard working autoworker of days past did.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
at least he figured out that working in tech sucks and he didn't want to do it anymore instead of aiming to become a Senior Architect or a director so he could get more RSUs and buy more maseratis and get more teams reporting into him and more more more MORE

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yep sure is great to be knighted into being rich

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Spazmo posted:

more more MORE

how do you like it
how do you like it

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

AltruisticGapHN 2 hours ago [–]

I’ve been thinking about an alternative to tailwind but I have no idea how to implement it.

I think what would be even more powerful is you configure all the classes with some kind of regexp. They need to be unique. You could provide a function as well that returns the correct css for any given captured units in the class name so eg. "mb-4em" you have template "mb-(\\d+)em" declared. The tool recognizes it and either just puts the number there, uses a mapping (4 becomes 16), or calls a function to return the resulting css properties.

What I like about it is you could just as well create more advanced utilities and the parser never generates any classes in advance. It would need some kind of watcher though to detect any new class aded to templates that match the definition file.

Then there would be no need to purge anything. Kind of a vague concept I’ll admit, but for me starting with a figma or sketch where designer typically does not folow a consistent guideline, it means I can just start writing templates and keep declaring utilities as I go because in the real world you bet that happens.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

jesus christ

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
[flagged] Ask HN: Why does an article critical of Paul Graham get removed?

gee i wonder why

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

NihilCredo posted:

AltruisticGapHN 2 hours ago [–]

I’ve been thinking about an alternative to tailwind but I have no idea how to implement it.

I think what would be even more powerful is you configure all the classes with some kind of regexp. They need to be unique. You could provide a function as well that returns the correct css for any given captured units in the class name so eg. "mb-4em" you have template "mb-(\\d+)em" declared. The tool recognizes it and either just puts the number there, uses a mapping (4 becomes 16), or calls a function to return the resulting css properties.

What I like about it is you could just as well create more advanced utilities and the parser never generates any classes in advance. It would need some kind of watcher though to detect any new class aded to templates that match the definition file.

Then there would be no need to purge anything. Kind of a vague concept I’ll admit, but for me starting with a figma or sketch where designer typically does not folow a consistent guideline, it means I can just start writing templates and keep declaring utilities as I go because in the real world you bet that happens.

what if we just remade dreamweaver but figma

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

kitten emergency posted:

what if we just remade dreamweaver but figma
figma balls

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just wait until these people hear about a great new framework I just made that allows you to write css just by adding new "style" attributes without having to deal with separate css files at all.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
I like this recent criticism of Paul Graham: https://ideolalia.com/essays/thought-leaders-and-chicken-sexers.html.

tl; dr posted:

But Graham’s analysis of brevity, and indeed of all language design, was fundamentally unserious. He wasn’t interested in a rigorous definition of brevity, because the ultimate measure of a language’s quality was still his hacker’s radar.

[...]

Michael Polanyi coined the term “tacit knowledge” to describe something we only understand as part of something else. When we speak, for instance, we don’t focus on the sounds we’re making, we focus on our words. We understand how to speak, but would struggle to explain it. Tacit knowledge comprises the vast majority of what we know; we rely on it constantly.

[...]

This is the essence of modern “thought leadership”, and it’s served Graham well. His essays on language design, as well as a few on startups, brought in the first entrepreneurs to his fledgling VC fund. People applied to YCombinator because they wanted Graham to apply his intuition to their problems.

[...]

This is all to say that Paul Graham is an effective marketer and practitioner, but a profoundly unserious public intellectual. His attempts to grapple with the major issues of the present, especially as they intersect with his personal legacy, are so mired in intuition and incuriosity that they’re at best a distraction, and worst a real obstacle to understanding our paths forward.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the most lisp weenie man to ever touch a paren

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the most lisp weenie man to ever touch a paren

i like how you ignored the thesis

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
get it? parenthesis? #dadjokes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we got an office that we used by shifts in my student job in undergrad and then i found out a few weeks into the student job that it was john mccarthys old office. and thats the closest ive been to doin lisp for money. good riddance too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you should do your quantum stuff in lisp

see if you can create an object system within the CLOS MOP to represent your stuff straightforwardly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
or i could use python lists and be a normal person

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
loceng 2 minutes ago [–]

By "unable to perform" - OPs being unable to get an erection, which is very commonly difficult while doing MDMA - at least until before the come down. Abstain for 3-5+ days, the longer the easier to get an erection; it's still difficult to impossible to orgasm until after the come down as well.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

HamAdams posted:

loceng 2 minutes ago [–]

By "unable to perform" - OPs being unable to get an erection, which is very commonly difficult while doing MDMA - at least until before the come down. Abstain for 3-5+ days, the longer the easier to get an erection; it's still difficult to impossible to orgasm until after the come down as well.

"hacker" "news"

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I don’t want to read about any of those freaks loving

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
rich kids doing party drugs in HN? :eyepop:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

dads friend steve posted:

I don’t want to read about any of those freaks loving

Maybe they were simply still on drugs to expand their mind while posting on Parler before stumbling upon an old aphorism by Paul Graham, instantly causing a Pavlovian erection (attempt)?!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hollow Talk posted:

Pavlovian erection (attempt)

this sounds like a loving wikipedia page title

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

this sounds like a loving wikipedia page title

it could be in regular wikipedia too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Penisface posted:

it could be in regular wikipedia too

Fuckipedia, the encyclopedia (about sex) that anyone can edit (but you probably never will).

E: Truefacts, :chome: seems to have permanently suppressed "encyclopedia" as a recommended correction, presumably because of too many years spent gaming with this chonkyboi:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
pg still a shitbag, news at 11

https://twitter.com/geofft/status/1337831339819749378?s=21

https://twitter.com/djnemec/status/1337906106765602819

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Plorkyeran posted:

[flagged] Ask HN: Why does an article critical of Paul Graham get removed?

gee i wonder why

It was a good one, too: https://web.archive.org/web/20201207190930/https://antipodes.substack.com/p/paul-graham-is-not-a-public-intellectual

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

not gonna read all those words so I can't judge its merits but mchurch is a crazy person

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Jose Valasquez posted:

not gonna read all those words so I can't judge its merits but mchurch is a crazy person

go on

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

like he got banned from quora for sockpuppeting to post and answer questions like "Is Michael Church a genius" and then claimed it was because Paul Graham invested in quora just to get him banned

he mr magoos himself into being right about stuff sometimes but he is nuts

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

I did read all those words (lmao @ me) and they seemed p reasonable

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

mchurch is a crazy person

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I know they’re known for some nutty stuff and a bit of a vendetta/warpath with this stuff but that post seems ok for the most part :shrug:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

like he got banned from quora for sockpuppeting to post and answer questions like "Is Michael Church a genius" and then claimed it was because Paul Graham invested in quora just to get him banned

he mr magoos himself into being right about stuff sometimes but he is nuts

he got banned from hn for calling melissa meyer a 'queynte'

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

People still talk about mchurch at Google from his brief stint there like 10 years when he got fired after 3 months for being a crazy person.

T7-9 executive vision!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah I only know of him because he's a legend in the company

finally got manifesto readability thanks to mchurch