Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Not this poo poo again!!!

Listen here buddy, the Minkowski diagram is not the territory, the math is the territory. Try plugging FTL numbers into the Lorentz factor and you get imaginary results. Try calculating the actual angles in the Minkowski diagrams directly using the hyperbolic functions and you'll find they are literally undefined.

No one can show that imaginary time dilation or undefined length contraction implies causality somehow has been violated, instead it obviously implies the theory has been applied outside of its domain.

You can only get that result by drawing lines wrong on a piece of paper and thinking they have physical meaning.

It is clear that there is no way to launch an FTL spaceship from Earth and have it return before it left if you stay in Earth's reference. Even if it moves at infinite speed it will not return at a local time before it left. Nor will the dudes on the ship think they returned before they left. "Light echoes" of the ship may appear to be traveling backwards through space and the ship may appear before those but not before leaving. By extension, no frame of reference that has ever shared an inertial frame with the Earth can witness any causality paradoxes as they can calculate what the true local time of the Earth is.

Now causality isn't some kind of mathematical result that plopped out of some theory, it is an abstract philosophical ideal underlying all of physics. It doesn't "travel at some speed", it's an ordering of events. If that ordering is well-defined in some frames and undefined in others, then it would seem that those frames are the preferred ones and the others are artificial. When people say "FTL violates causality" they are saying that that those undefined frames are the preferred ones, as even if they're not smart enough to realize they're drawing the diagrams wrong, they could at least have invoked some kind of cosmic censorship hypothesis to invalidate the undefined frames.

In conclusion: The theory of relativity in its current state simply does not and cannot apply to superluminal speeds. It has nothing to say about them. Physicists need to stop spreading this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
A grey in a long velvet robe, holding the blade of a knife into a fire

"I am now traveling faster than light !!"

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like, we know from comet orbital periods that they have to achieve superluminal speed at some point relative to the apogee, and since it’s nearly impossible to calculate relative angular momentum of an elliptical period we have to assume that it makes a line to a nexus at the pedigree, the last observable moment, as it exits and re-enters 3D spacetime, and that the apogee is represented by dividing the quantum length of the line from pedigree to pedigree. The frames model would mean the comet would have to create a particle ray ahead of itself, which means heat and shrinking mass, and no comet at all, rather than a told duality of a ground state as the angular momentum is fully expended. The apogee could be anywhere within that voltage threshold, and would certainly explain accumulated free matter at the edge of the heat envelope of the universe as a coherent, gravitationally bound body, rather than a neverending expansionist universe where chaos dictates that some matter should avoid gravitational capture and experience a heat death as a product of the assumed finite elasticity of light.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I can see UFOs being drones sent out tens of thousands of years ago to all planets which could contain life. Got no idea why they'd be buzzing around our sky randomly for hundreds of years though.

No way would actual ETs set out personally themselves for long voyages to planets which there'd be no evidence of life from at the time they set out. Bringing up magic ways of travelling just because we want to imagine actual green aliens personally observing us is silly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mooey Cow posted:

In conclusion: The theory of relativity in its current state simply does not and cannot apply to superluminal speeds. It has nothing to say about them. Physicists need to stop spreading this bullshit.
Right, like, there could very well be other reasons why you can't go faster than light, so why is the one cited that it's literally impossible due to this? "It would take infinite energy" is, I gather, also basically true and seems like a much stronger reason.

This matters because if the aliens have the hyperdrive and you we don't, we're all their goddamn dinner!!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

Right, like, there could very well be other reasons why you can't go faster than light, so why is the one cited that it's literally impossible due to this? "It would take infinite energy" is, I gather, also basically true and seems like a much stronger reason.

This matters because if the aliens have the hyperdrive and you we don't, we're all their goddamn dinner!!

It doesn't explicitly say it's impossible to go faster than light. It just says that you can't accelerate an object that has a rest mass to light speed and we observe that fact every day in particle accelerators.

There are actually known loopholes in our current understanding of the universe that seem to allow something to travel between two points faster than light could(wormholes, the alcubierre drive, etc.), but we don't really have anything to describe what would happen if you were to actually do that. According to our best current understanding it would violate causality and nobody has any ideas what that would even mean or how it would look like. Causality is the fundamental rock on which all physics is build. Because of that and the fact that the light speed limit is such a fundamental aspect of how the universe works, the current majority opinion in physics is that these loopholes aren't real loopholes and we simply just don't understand enough to see why yet.

Everyone would be ecstatic to discover an ftl phenomenon, but most physicists don't have very high hopes. It just doesn't look likely from our current understanding.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

The problem occurs when you include another frame of reference.

I'll just direct you to the first google result that breaks out spacetime diagrams: http://www.physicsmatt.com/blog/2016/8/25/why-ftl-implies-time-travel

Oh, yeah.

I followed THIS through, clearly with out it sounding like the rantings of a mad man. Totally.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Why is FTL breaking causality just because we’ve never seen anything go faster? 1000 years ago we could drop a rock off a mountain and calculate terminal velocity and say “yup, that’s the fastest things go” because it was the fastest things go in our environment naturally.

Maybe if you space-grease the photons they can go way faster

Edit: Maybe all the probing is space grease testing??

teardrop fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 16, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
My dad works for Nintendo and he went faster than light once with Mario and also Sonic the hedgehog.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GABA ghoul posted:

It doesn't explicitly say it's impossible to go faster than light. It just says that you can't accelerate an object that has a rest mass to light speed and we observe that fact every day in particle accelerators.

There are actually known loopholes in our current understanding of the universe that seem to allow something to travel between two points faster than light could(wormholes, the alcubierre drive, etc.), but we don't really have anything to describe what would happen if you were to actually do that. According to our best current understanding it would violate causality and nobody has any ideas what that would even mean or how it would look like. Causality is the fundamental rock on which all physics is build. Because of that and the fact that the light speed limit is such a fundamental aspect of how the universe works, the current majority opinion in physics is that these loopholes aren't real loopholes and we simply just don't understand enough to see why yet.

Everyone would be ecstatic to discover an ftl phenomenon, but most physicists don't have very high hopes. It just doesn't look likely from our current understanding.

FTL doesn't look possible in this current universe, as we know it. Pointing out that fact has gotten people mad at me because it shits all over sci-fi fantasies of more tech = more better always. Sometimes nature just says no.

Like, a swarm of sublight probes or ships would have covered the entire galaxy in under a million years (IIRC less, but I don't have that article handy). If there was FTL, where is everyone? Who is going to pass up a temperate water world with a big moon?

teardrop posted:

Why is FTL breaking causality just because we’ve never seen anything go faster? 1000 years ago we could drop a rock off a mountain and calculate terminal velocity and say “yup, that’s the fastest things go” because it was the fastest things go in our environment naturally.

" It [Relativity] just says that you can't accelerate an object that has a rest mass to light speed and we observe that fact every day in particle accelerators. "

If light (and all EM radiation) would take longer than the age of the universe to reach you, you will never see it and therefore never know it. Light isn't just light, it's information. If you can outrun information, a great deal of paradoxes can form.

naem
May 29, 2011

you can run but you can’t hide

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hemale in pain posted:

I can see UFOs being drones sent out tens of thousands of years ago to all planets which could contain life. Got no idea why they'd be buzzing around our sky randomly for hundreds of years though.

No way would actual ETs set out personally themselves for long voyages to planets which there'd be no evidence of life from at the time they set out.

Why would life be a factor? Other star systems are interesting enough to catalog even if there is no chance of life as we know it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

skooma512 posted:

Who is going to pass up a temperate water world with a big moon?

Once 'optimal' habitats can be built in space, why settle for the chaos and hassle of an ecosystem in a gravity well?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like big moons and I cannot lie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why would life be a factor? Other star systems are interesting enough to catalog even if there is no chance of life as we know it.

i assume aliens are like us and would put huge emphasis on finding other life in the universe

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

My uneducated guess is someplace that already sustains life even if differently or more dangerously from what you find at home might be a preferable colony to someplace barren because of the cost in resources, personnel, time, etc to terraform it. (Assuming their terraforming technology is anywhere close to our wildest practical guesses). Half the work of creating an atmosphere is already done by biological processes, and then it becomes an issue of pest management with how deadly/toxic the local flora and fauna is.

Hell, even if not a colony- a pit stop along a vast galactic highway.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you'd still probably have to terraform it. earth used to have lots of life and no oxygen in the atmosphere

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Conspiratiorist posted:

FTL violates causality and that's literally magic.

It overturns the basic underpinning of science which is that events have consequences and that by observing and testing these relationships with can understand the rules under which the universe operates.

Same goes for quantum physics, though. And the inside of a black hole

In not saying FTL is easy or probable, but id stop short of impossible.

Regardless, if you're patient enough you can get many places

Play fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 16, 2020

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Dammit Hugh stop being so obvious

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

you'd still probably have to terraform it. earth used to have lots of life and no oxygen in the atmosphere

Well yeah, but with whatever gases are already in the atmosphere you'd at least have atmo. pressure and possibly light shielding from cosmic rays.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frogge posted:

Well yeah, but with whatever gases are already in the atmosphere you'd at least have atmo. pressure and possibly light shielding from cosmic rays.

I got some gas for the atmosphere.

:mmmsmug:
:yosbutt:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

More like rear end-mosphere

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

skooma512 posted:

Light isn't just light, it's information. If you can outrun information, a great deal of paradoxes can form.

What do you mean by information? How is there a top speed to information, and what is it in this context?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This time-travel discussion reads like mysticism/obscurantism.

naem
May 29, 2011

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Once 'optimal' habitats can be built in space, why settle for the chaos and hassle of an ecosystem in a gravity well?

Yeah, it doesn't look like they are here to steal our poo poo or stop us from killing the ecosphere. Even a single alien ship could have easily wiped out human civilization from orbit if that was the goal.

Looking at what even our own primitive biotechnology and computing power can do nowadays, they can probably engineer ecosystems from scratch and keep them indefinitely stable through technology on their space habitats. So there isn't anything materially valuable here for them.

The only cool thing I can think of to do here is to study our ecosystem. That's something you can't do anywhere else in the universea. It's all highly complex, interconnected and truly planet sized. You can't do it in a lab. You have to put boots on the ground and probe some asses.

e: also, I guess our culture is something that might be interesting to them? But you can probably get the gist of it by stealing a library and a data center. I dunno, it's not that interesting. Mostly just talking about eating, loving, killing and how much it sucks too be sentient

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 16, 2020

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, it doesn't look like they are here to steal our poo poo or stop us from killing the ecosphere. Even a single alien ship could have easily wiped out human civilization from orbit if that was the goal.

Looking at what even our own primitive biotechnology and computing power can do nowadays, they can probably engineer ecosystems from scratch and keep them indefinitely stable through technology on their space habitats. So there isn't anything materially valuable here for them.

The only cool thing I can think of to do here is to study our ecosystem. That's something you can't do anywhere else in the universea. It's all highly complex, interconnected and truly planet sized. You can't do it in a lab. You have to put boots on the ground and probe some asses.

e: also, I guess our culture is something that might be interesting to them? But you can probably get the gist of it by stealing a library and a data center. I dunno, it's not that interesting. Mostly just talking about eating, loving, killing and how much it sucks too be sentient

I think if there were some greys hanging out outside of the planet, they’re probably not too interested in mass murder is all. It’s mean and evil

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/GwSOaJbJiqk

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/-VN-tDV6_Og

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
In the core of planets and stars and black holes (former super massive stars) are portals that are linked via some kind of field that binds all energy down to the quarks, enabling quantum copies of matter and energy that merges with the singularity, and allows the copy to instantaneously emerge in another time-space while simultaneously being destroyed in the original time-space.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dick Bastardly posted:

In the core of planets and stars and black holes (former super massive stars) are portals that are linked via some kind of field that binds all energy down to the quarks, enabling quantum copies of matter and energy that merges with the singularity, and allows the copy to instantaneously emerge in another time-space while simultaneously being destroyed in the original time-space.

I read about this recently, and it's changing the way the way they look at dark matter and how gay I am.
I'm gay.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nessus posted:

Consensual sex.

If they can do that, why are they constantly abducting and sodomizing hillbillies?

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Big Beef City posted:

Oh, yeah.

I followed THIS through, clearly with out it sounding like the rantings of a mad man. Totally.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Who's this guy? What does he want?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Like, a swarm of sublight probes or ships would have covered the entire galaxy in under a million years (IIRC less, but I don't have that article handy). If there was FTL, where is everyone? Who is going to pass up a temperate water world with a big moon?

This is the really important question, and it applies even if there is not FTL because it doesn't take that long on a galactic scale for automated replicating probes to spread out.

There are a lot of potentially interesting answers, but the one most relevant to this thread is "They're already here, and that's what's on those F18 tapes."

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Big Beef City posted:

I read about this recently, and it's changing the way the way they look at dark matter and how gay I am.
I'm gay.

If you are gay and enter one of these quantum portals, it automatically makes you like 50x more gay, and if you continue to do so in each multiverse iteration, you'll eventually become the gayest interdimentional being that exists

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Log082 posted:

This is the really important question, and it applies even if there is not FTL because it doesn't take that long on a galactic scale for automated replicating probes to spread out.

There are a lot of potentially interesting answers, but the one most relevant to this thread is "They're already here, and that's what's on those F18 tapes."

I like the "they already killed everyone and we're next" theory

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
https://twitter.com/mnsheriffs/status/1339360845567025155?s=21

Gentlemen, we got em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
What if our destruction of the ecosystem is what they're studying ??